PDA

View Full Version : Duke & Savannah State watch

crimsondevil
11-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Kenpom has an insignificant but interesting stat on his blog (link: http://http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/which_two_teams_last_lost_longest_ago_15_edition). For several years he has been keeping track of which pairs of teams (men's bball) have gone the longest without both losing on the same day. As you might expect, many of the pairs are teams that win a lot - Duke has been on it several time (never before as #1 though). Midway through last season, though, a pairing of Duke with Savannah State ascended to #1, a streak that is still active.

Duke and SSU have not lost on the same day since 12/6/08 (losses to Michigan and St Louis, respectively). One thing that is a little unusual here is that SSU has not really been that good over the course of the streak. In the 72 times we have played the same day, Duke is 63-9 while SSU is 32-40 - yet somehow Savannah State has come through each time Duke has gone down. But there are 16 double dates scheduled this season, so our chances of making it through the season are slim (Pomeroy calculates an 8% chance to make through the regular season). Seems like a fun stat watch for the season.

Edit: The first set of games is tomorrow - Siena and Florida National.

uh_no
12-07-2015, 06:11 PM
for those who don't regularly read Kenpom, he makes a point of tracking the pairs of teams who have the longest streak of not losing on the same day.

Though the post came out last month, I hadn't seen it mentioned, and the current leaders are Duke and Savannah state, who last lost on the same day in december, 2008.

(http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/which_two_teams_last_lost_longest_ago_15_edition)

As Savannah State did not play on the day we lost to UK, the streak is still in tact! Here are the remaining game days to keep a close eye on to ensure we stay up top!

Duke Savannah St.
01/02 Boston College (A) Missouri (A)
01/09 Virginia Tech (H) N.C. A&T (H)
01/16 Notre Dame (H) UMES (H)
01/18 Syracuse (H) Delaware St. (H)
01/23 N.C. State (A) Hampton (A)
01/25 Miami FL (A) Norfolk St. (A)
02/02 Georgia Tech (A) Bethune Cookman (A)
02/06 N.C. State (H) Morgan St. (H)
02/08 Louisville (H) Coppin St. (H)
02/13 Virginia (H) S.C. State (A)
02/20 Louisville (A) Howard (A)

Obviously we'll win every game, but at least this gives us something to cheer for when watching those MEAC games!

Lets Go Tigers!

ChillinDuke
12-07-2015, 07:19 PM
for those who don't regularly read Kenpom, he makes a point of tracking the pairs of teams who have the longest streak of not losing on the same day.

Though the post came out last month, I hadn't seen it mentioned, and the current leaders are Duke and Savannah state, who last lost on the same day in december, 2008.

(http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/which_two_teams_last_lost_longest_ago_15_edition)

As Savannah State did not play on the day we lost to UK, the streak is still in tact! Here are the remaining game days to keep a close eye on to ensure we stay up top!

Duke Savannah St.
01/02 Boston College (A) Missouri (A)
01/09 Virginia Tech (H) N.C. A&T (H)
01/16 Notre Dame (H) UMES (H)
01/18 Syracuse (H) Delaware St. (H)
01/23 N.C. State (A) Hampton (A)
01/25 Miami FL (A) Norfolk St. (A)
02/02 Georgia Tech (A) Bethune Cookman (A)
02/06 N.C. State (H) Morgan St. (H)
02/08 Louisville (H) Coppin St. (H)
02/13 Virginia (H) S.C. State (A)
02/20 Louisville (A) Howard (A)

Obviously we'll win every game, but at least this gives us something to cheer for when watching those MEAC games!

Lets Go Tigers!

This is a pretty weird/cool streak. Thanks to CrimsonDevil for first bringing it up and UhNo for re-bringing it up.

Perhaps the weirdest/coolest part of the streak is what Crimson alluded to in his/her post. But I want to shed some further light to the weirdness/coolness of this.

As Crimson said, you might expect that this streak would belong to two teams that are usually pretty good - hence they don't lose much so both losing on the same day would be somewhat rare. Now I don't track this stat normally, so that may in fact be the case most of the time. KenPommers far more knowledgeable than me can weigh in on that part.

What is truly weird/cool is the degree to which these two teams aren't at all what you'd expect - in other words, the degree to which the disparity exists between the two programs. Final KenPom rankings from the beginning of the streak (end of '08 through today):

Duke / SSU (conference):
2008: #10 / #278 (independent)
2009: 12 / 314 (ind.)
2010: 1 / 303 (ind.)
2011: 4 / 280 (ind.)
2012: 21 / 173 (MEAC)
2013: 6 / 205 (MEAC)
2014: 13 / 277 (MEAC)
2015: 4 / 339 (MEAC)
2016 (today): 3 / 338 (MEAC)

What's shocking to me is that other than their first 2 years in the MEAC, which one could argue they were mediocre to poor, Savannah St. has been a horrific basketball team. Perhaps the only saving grace to this record (other than dumb luck, obviously) is that Duke tends to lose infrequently early in the season and more often during ACC play. The reverse is presumably true for SSU as the MEAC comprises some of the absolute bottom feeders in Div I basketball (at the end of 2015, KenPom ranked 7 MEAC teams worse than #320 out of #351 Div I teams; the conference has 13 teams).

To back up my completely off-the-cuff thought, I did a quick search for their conference record(s). SSU had a poor conference season last year at 5-11. However, they performed "admirably" in 2014 (10-6), 2013 (11-5), and 2012 (14-2).

Super weird. Slash cool.

- Chillin

uh_no
01-18-2016, 11:04 PM
despite duke's terrible slate of late
despite playing often on the same day as savannah state
despite savannah state being one of the worst teams in the country....

the streak lives!

the tigers upset MD: easater shore on saturday to win by seven
and then handled delaware st. as expected today.

props to savannah for holding up their end of the deal.

the remaining dates and probabilities:

jan 23:
duke: 64% win chance
SSU: 12
comb: 69% chance of surviving

jan 25:
duke: 29
SSU: 10
comb 36

feb 2:
duke: 55
ssu: 22
comb: 65

feb 6:
duke 87
ssu: 66
comb: 95

feb 8:
duke 51
ssu: 55

feb 13:
duke 54
ssu 15

feb 20:
duke 22
ssu: 14

while there are only 2 REALLY tough days to survive, the chances of the streak surviving the season:
2.4%

So what i'm saying is...there's a chance.

uh_no
01-23-2016, 08:40 PM
after the win today, the odds of the streak lasting the season got a bump to about 3.5%

One of the biggest two tests is on monday.

uh_no
01-25-2016, 09:30 PM
with our loss, and Savannah down 14 at the half to norfolk, you can kiss this one goodbye folks.

it was fun while it lasted :(

FerryFor50
01-25-2016, 09:35 PM
with our loss, and Savannah down 14 at the half to norfolk, you can kiss this one goodbye folks.

it was fun while it lasted :(

Not the only streak we can kiss goodbye... :(