PDA

View Full Version : Nice video explaining new hoops rules

-jk
11-12-2015, 04:31 PM
The NCAA has released a video with some of the rule changes and points of emphasis (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkm6mrpHpYk).

https://youtu.be/qkm6mrpHpYk

-jk

Indoor66
11-12-2015, 05:02 PM
That is a very informative video. Well worth watching.

MChambers
11-12-2015, 05:09 PM
It's very informative. I'm also glad to see that most of the video examples involve Wisconsin and Kentucky.

rasputin
11-12-2015, 05:19 PM
One that jumped out at me was the prohibition of holding or chucking a cutting player without the ball. I think JJ would have had a million more points had this been the rule then.

Also glad to see the point of emphasis about not rewarding the offensive player who initiates contact on a drive.

devildeac
11-12-2015, 05:27 PM
At least Shav isn't "featured" in any of the examples :rolleyes: :mad: .

moonpie23
11-12-2015, 05:44 PM
wow....great video....

there's gonna be a painful transition period for some teams...

flyingdutchdevil
11-12-2015, 06:58 PM
I'm still shocked that the arm bar wasn't legal until this year. How do you defend the post without it?!?!?!?!

Also shocked that you can score on a charge (and I know Duke has done this plenty).

Happy that the NCAA is turning more towards NBA rules. However, please don't adopt continuation, NCAA! Please don't!

kAzE
11-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Nice video! I'm most excited about having the 30 second shot clock going forward, but I think they are actually sabotaging their own intent to reduce stoppages in the game by creating way more foul situations . . .

flyingdutchdevil
11-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Nice video! I'm most excited about having the 30 second shot clock going forward, but I think they are actually sabotaging their own intent to reduce stoppages in the game by creating way more foul situations . . .

Is the intent really to reduce stoppages, or is that what they're telling us folks? ESPN and co love the stoppages as that equals a longer game and hence more advertising $$$.

Isn't the 30 second rule intended to make play faster and hence more points, catering more to the Average Joe? I do like scoring - but I also love defense - so I'm pretty indifferent about the 30 second rule.

Indoor66
11-12-2015, 07:22 PM
I'm still shocked that the arm bar wasn't legal until this year. How do you defend the post without it?!?!?!?!

Also shocked that you can score on a charge (and I know Duke has done this plenty).

Happy that the NCAA is turning more towards NBA rules. However, please don't adopt continuation, NCAA! Please don't!

You play the game the way it was designed - and use your feet, not your arms and hands. That was how it was played from the beginning until the 90's or so! :mad:

cbarry
11-12-2015, 07:28 PM
I'm disappointed they got rid of the 5-second closely guarded rule. I think it helped us more than it hurt us, and is a nice reward for playing excellent defense.

NYBri
11-12-2015, 07:30 PM
I sense tons of whistles until conference play when the wars will continue.

weezie
11-12-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm disappointed they got rid of the 5-second closely guarded rule. I think it helped us more than it hurt us, and is a nice reward for playing excellent defense.

Yeah, this might sting us during the NCAAs.

Good, informative video. Also a kind of extended lowlights featuring wiscy video, maybe because they were such a slow, plodding group?

TruBlu
11-12-2015, 08:51 PM

Their plan (hope?) is that after calling fouls more tightly, the players and coaches will figure it out and stop the rough play and fouling. If the officials stick to it, it could work. Here's hoping it does, as the game has gotten too physical.

DukeDevil
11-12-2015, 11:16 PM
Great video...I'm curious how it will translate in reality, as what they decide to emphasize and how it actually plays out is never quite the same.

"Well done by the lead official."

left_hook_lacey
11-13-2015, 10:08 AM
I sense tons of whistles until conference play when the wars will continue.

We go through this everytime there are major rules changes. During the first phase of the season, when a majority of the games are laughers, we see the refs make these awkward attemps to enforce new rules regarding hand checks, bumps on cutters, whatever the flavor of the month is for that season. Then we get to hear the commentators repeat over and over that it's "a point of emphasis this year".

Then as conference play starts, and the games get intense and more physical and the crowds are going crazy, they revert back to the old way of calling it.

The only exception to this are the rules that are finite and measureable, like the charge circle, extended 3 point line, and this year, 30 second shot clock.

uh_no
11-13-2015, 01:14 PM
You play the game the way it was designed - and use your feet, not your arms and hands. That was how it was played from the beginning until the 90's or so! :mad:

so should we eliminate dribbling too?

That's how the game was designed....

kAzE
11-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Is the intent really to reduce stoppages, or is that what they're telling us folks? ESPN and co love the stoppages as that equals a longer game and hence more advertising $$$.

Isn't the 30 second rule intended to make play faster and hence more points, catering more to the Average Joe? I do like scoring - but I also love defense - so I'm pretty indifferent about the 30 second rule.

Decreasing the shot clock does lead to more possessions, but in my opinion, that actually HURTS Average Joe type teams who don't have elite offensive talent. Often teams with a lack of offensive talent will attempt to run the shot clock down low each possession and decrease the total number of possessions in the game, creating more opportunity to hang around and spring the upset down the stretch. For teams like Duke, who have bona fide NBA type scorers every year, more possessions should only help us be more dominant.

It true that you can't spell Duke without "D", but based on numbers alone, we've a much better team on offense than defense. Duke has been in the top 10 in adjusted offense on KenPom for the last 8 years straight (#1 overall offense 3 times in that span), and over that same period, we've only been in the top 10 for adjusted D twice (Not surprisingly, in 2010 and in 2015). So anything that increases our opportunities on offense is only going to make us better. In my opinion, this rule change, and many of the "freedom of movement" type of changes heavily favor our program as long as we continue to kill it on the recruiting trail.