PDA

View Full Version : Wild and Crazy 2016 Season Predictions

Philadukie
11-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Ok, here's a thread for you expert prognosticators to put your wild and crazy 2015 season predictions to the test.

Rules are:

1) Predictions must be non-Duke related
2) Predictions must have a have a higher likelihood to NOT happen than to happen (that's why they're "wild and crazy predictions")
2.a - We'll use that fictitious character "the reasonable observer" for the likelihood test
3) You get no more than three predictions

That's it. The predictions can be anything. Team related, player related, even mascot related.

At the end of the season, we'll revive and see who the real experts are.

Here are mine to start:

1) Wake Forest will finish no worse than 4th in the ACC, make the tournament and win at least it's first game
2) Utah State will finish 1st in the Mountain West, win it's conference tournament, and make it to the Sweet 16
3) UNC will get upset in the 2nd round. To Utah State. ;)

EDIT: Somehow I think I hit the "thumbs-down" for this thread when starting (unless someone else put that there, which is understandable! If not, could one of the mods remove? Thanks!)

wilson
11-10-2015, 06:01 PM
I like this topic. Here are mine:

1. Georgia State, even without RJ Hunter, makes noise this season by running up a gaudy record in the Sun Belt and spending time in the Top 25, and with a nod to last year's breakout tournament moment, is a hot mid-major pick in March.
2. Larry Nance, Jr. lives up to his family name, stuffs the box scores at Wyoming, and plays his way into the late 1st round.
3. Multiple teams seeded 14 or higher win first-round games in the NCAA Tournament.

Edouble
11-10-2015, 06:02 PM
1) Wake Forest will finish no worse than 4th in the ACC, make the tournament and win at least it's first game
2) Utah State will finish 1st in the Mountain West, win it's conference tournament, and make it to the Sweet 16
3) UNC will get upset in the 2nd round. To Utah State. ;)

its

You can't get away with doing that twice in one thread. :cool:

flyingdutchdevil
11-10-2015, 06:06 PM
I like this topic. Here are mine:

1. Georgia State, even without RJ Hunter, makes noise this season by running up a gaudy record in the Sun Belt and spending time in the Top 25, and with a nod to last year's breakout tournament moment, is a hot mid-major pick in March.
2. Larry Nance, Jr. lives up to his family name, stuffs the box scores at Wyoming, and plays his way into the late 1st round.
3. Multiple teams seeded 14 or higher win first-round games in the NCAA Tournament.

It's Larry Nance Jr with the Lakers right now? Or am I missing something here?

wilson
11-10-2015, 06:08 PM
It's Larry Nance Jr with the Lakers right now? Or am I missing something here?Oy...why did I not realize he'd already been drafted? I don't watch much NBA these days. But a bit of research tells me that he in fact went in the late first round, so I guess I can go ahead and mark that one correct.

Philadukie
11-10-2015, 06:24 PM
its

You can't get away with doing that twice in one thread. :cool:

From a former Duke English major no less (turned real estate developer - maybe that's why. ;)

Sorry, could someone fix that too please? Thx!

Edouble
11-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Oy...why did I not realize he'd already been drafted? I don't watch much NBA these days. But a bit of research tells me that he in fact went in the late first round, so I guess I can go ahead and mark that one correct.

He definitely went in the first round. I watched the draft here in Atlanta with (Wyoming coach) Larry Shyatt's son, who is a friend of mine. Many beers were knocked over and then knocked back, when Larry Jr. went in the first round, to the Lakers.

MCFinARL
11-10-2015, 09:36 PM
So, um, I realize I am being a bit snarky here, but my wild and crazy, more likely not to happen, non-Duke related 2015 season prediction is that Wisconsin will win the 2015 national championship.

Now, for 2016 season predictions, I'll have to give that some thought....

gumbomoop
11-10-2015, 09:48 PM
1. Wisconsin will not make the 2016 NCAAT.
2. Three of these four teams will be in the 2016 Elite Eight: LSU, Texas A&M, NC State, Vandy.
3. Johnny Dawkins will be 2015-16 Pac-12 COY. (I'll assume this will pass the "non-Duke related" criterion, to "the reasonable observer." If not, I'll come up with a substitute crazy prediction.)

MCFinARL
11-10-2015, 09:51 PM
2. Three of these four teams will be in the 2016 Elite Eight: LSU, Texas A&M, NC State, Vandy.
3. Johnny Dawkins will be 2015-16 Pac-12 COY. (I'll assume this will pass the "non-Duke related" criterion, to "the reasonable observer." If not, I'll come up with a substitute crazy prediction.)

Wow--LSU, Texas A&M, NC State, Vandy? I like your style--very aggressive.

Also, I would love to see #3 come true.

CameronBlue
11-10-2015, 10:36 PM
Wow--LSU, Texas A&M, NC State, Vandy? I like your style--very aggressive.

Also, I would love to see #3 come true.

1. UNC flames out in the round of 16 (which should satisfy the < 50% criteria)
2. DWBB wins NCAA on last second 3 pointer. (Geno blames the "larger ball" experiment. (Duke related but non MBB)
3. Bobby Hurley wins Pac10 coach of the year

Bonus prediction: Rasheed averages above 17.5 ppg at Md
Next Season's Bonus prediction: Ben Carson wins Presidency....

Philadukie
11-10-2015, 10:37 PM
So, um, I realize I am being a bit snarky here, but my wild and crazy, more likely not to happen, non-Duke related 2015 season prediction is that Wisconsin will win the 2015 national championship.

Now, for 2016 season predictions, I'll have to give that some thought...

Sorry, bud. Feel free to change that. Hopefully the community spirit of the thread doesn't offend you like the minor technicality did.

brevity
11-11-2015, 02:23 AM
1. Kentucky doesn't win the title, but a Kentucky fan gets a predictive tattoo that turns out to be true. And spelled correctly.

2. Jim Boeheim mails Rick Pitino a thank you note. Neither dated nor signed, it says simply "Thank you, Coach, for taking the heat off me." He includes a forwarding envelope to Chapel Hill "just in case."

3. Still in 2015 championship night form, Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan decides to speak his mind whenever someone hands him a microphone. That's not such a wild and crazy prediction, but listen to the specifics:

11/20: At the 2K Classic in NYC, Wisconsin loses to Georgetown in the first semifinal, preventing a possible rematch with Duke. He complains that "Rent" is no longer playing on Broadway.
12/12: The Badgers lose at home to Marquette, with governor Scott Walker in attendance. Bo starts an epic rant about "rent-a-candidates" and declares he'll never align himself with any Wisconsin politician. It becomes a viral video hit once people notice the words "Kohl Center" in the background.
01/05: Bo breaks a New Year's Resolution to control his temper when the team bus drives past a Rent-A-Center in Bloomington prior to playing Indiana. He is ejected from the game, does not speak to the media, and issues a brief and cryptic statement, which reads "Back in Madison, we have a store called Get It Now."
02/13: After the Maryland game, he complains about the College Park "rent-a-cops" who fail to prevent rioting.
03/11: Wisconsin's hopes of a high NCAA seed are dashed when they lose the Big Ten quarterfinals to Rutgers. Bo calls out Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland as "rent-a-schools" that have done nothing to justify the Big Ten's expansion. For once the public reaction is positive.
04/03: It's the Final Four, and over two weeks have passed since Wisconsin's Round of 64 loss in Spokane. While in Houston to attend the NABC convention, Bo makes his retirement official. A few coaches in attendance can't resist referring to Wisconsin's 2016 tournament performance as "one and done."

Pghdukie
11-11-2015, 03:19 AM
Speed-O Man makes a return visit !

luburch
11-11-2015, 07:25 AM
1. Northwestern not only makes the tournament but wins a game
2. Neither Arizona or California win the Pac-12
3. Ohio State misses the NCAA tournament (no not the CFB either :) )

Dukehky
11-11-2015, 08:24 AM
He definitely went in the first round. I watched the draft here in Atlanta with (Wyoming coach) Larry Shyatt's son, who is a friend of mine. Many beers were knocked over and then knocked back, when Larry Jr. went in the first round, to the Lakers.

He straight up called Kobe a rapist a few years ago. Bet that made for an awkward intro.

luburch
11-11-2015, 11:13 AM

Of course after I post this one of their best players, Vic Law, has season ending shoulder surgery. My predictions are off to a great start so far.

Neals384
11-11-2015, 11:21 AM
1. A 16-ssed finally wins one. (This is definitely NOT Duke-related!)

MCFinARL
11-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Sorry, bud. Feel free to change that. Hopefully the community spirit of the thread doesn't offend you like the minor technicality did.

Yikes, I guess I was being snarkier than I thought. I certainly wasn't offended and didn't mean to be playing "gotcha" either, just attempting a friendly joke about the year. Sorry.

MCFinARL
11-11-2015, 12:12 PM

We sure hope it's not Duke-related.

JasonEvans
11-11-2015, 12:17 PM
1. Kentucky doesn't win the title, but a Kentucky fan gets a predictive tattoo that turns out to be true. And spelled correctly.

2. Jim Boeheim mails Rick Pitino a thank you note. Neither dated nor signed, it says simply "Thank you, Coach, for taking the heat off me." He includes a forwarding envelope to Chapel Hill "just in case."

3. Still in 2015 championship night form, Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan decides to speak his mind whenever someone hands him a microphone. That's not such a wild and crazy prediction, but listen to the specifics:

11/20: At the 2K Classic in NYC, Wisconsin loses to Georgetown in the first semifinal, preventing a possible rematch with Duke. He complains that "Rent" is no longer playing on Broadway.
12/12: The Badgers lose at home to Marquette, with governor Scott Walker in attendance. Bo starts an epic rant about "rent-a-candidates" and declares he'll never align himself with any Wisconsin politician. It becomes a viral video hit once people notice the words "Kohl Center" in the background.
01/05: Bo breaks a New Year's Resolution to control his temper when the team bus drives past a Rent-A-Center in Bloomington prior to playing Indiana. He is ejected from the game, does not speak to the media, and issues a brief and cryptic statement, which reads "Back in Madison, we have a store called Get It Now."
02/13: After the Maryland game, he complains about the College Park "rent-a-cops" who fail to prevent rioting.
03/11: Wisconsin's hopes of a high NCAA seed are dashed when they lose the Big Ten quarterfinals to Rutgers. Bo calls out Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland as "rent-a-schools" that have done nothing to justify the Big Ten's expansion. For once the public reaction is positive.
04/03: It's the Final Four, and over two weeks have passed since Wisconsin's Round of 64 loss in Spokane. While in Houston to attend the NABC convention, Bo makes his retirement official. A few coaches in attendance can't resist referring to Wisconsin's 2016 tournament performance as "one and done."

Folks, someone needs to spork Brevity for me (I've sporked him so much, the internets won't let me do it any more) because this is some brilliant humor!!

-Jason "the 'one and done' line is beyond brilliant!" Evans

UrinalCake
11-11-2015, 12:36 PM

I'll go one step further: UNC becomes the first 1 seed to lose to a 16.

OldPhiKap
11-11-2015, 12:39 PM
I'll go one step further: UNC becomes the first 1 seed to lose to a 16.

Does the NIT seed all the way down to 16 per region?

luburch
11-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Does the NIT seed all the way down to 16 per region?

Yeah, I thought the CBI only had 8 total teams.

ChillinDuke
11-11-2015, 01:25 PM
Folks, someone needs to spork Brevity for me (I've sporked him so much, the internets won't let me do it any more) because this is some brilliant humor!!

-Jason "the 'one and done' line is beyond brilliant!" Evans

HA! Always great stuff. I, too, cannot spork.

The JP Tokoto updates were some of my favorite content on here in recent memory.

- Chillin

Wander
11-13-2015, 04:04 PM
OK I need to get mine in before the first Duke game:

1. Miami will finish in the top 3 of the ACC, displacing one of the presumed top 3 locks of UVA, Duke, and UNC.
2. Cal, ranked 14th in the preseason, will get a #1 seed.
3. Boise State makes the Sweet 16.

whereinthehellami
11-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Kansas seems to be a team a lot of experts are picking to be in the hunt. Color me not impressed. Mason, Selden, and Ellis return and are good but they don't wow me. I think Diallo will be a force but he is not overly talented skill wise. Bragg is one of the other guys they are bringing in and he is a mid-20 recruit. The DBR pundits have proven that a recruit rated in the 20's is not an impact player. Due to their schedule and their conference, they might look good record wise but Kansas will not make the sweet 16. Okay, so it is not that wild and crazy but I still want some credit come March. Especially if they are number 1 seed in the brackets.

BigZ
11-13-2015, 04:34 PM
1. Neither Kentucky, Maryland, or UNC are number 1 Seeds in the NCAA Tournament.
2. NC State makes the Elite 8
3. Duke defeats Michigan State once again in the Final Four.

whereinthehellami
11-13-2015, 04:49 PM
1. Neither Kentucky, Maryland, or UNC are number 1 Seeds in the NCAA Tournament.
2. NC State makes the Elite 8
3. Duke defeats Michigan State once again in the Final Four.

Not picking on you per say but MSU is getting quite a bit of buzz as being in the hunt for the final four. I'm not seeing it. MSU lost a lot from last year (Trice & Dawson) and didn't really add anyone outside of Davis, another mid-20 recruit. I know it is Izzo and MSU plays hard and all but I don't see them getting to the sweet 16.

Forrest
11-13-2015, 05:25 PM
KansasUNC seems to be a team a lot of experts are picking to be in the hunt. Color me not impressed. Mason, Selden, and EllisPaige, Johnson, and Jackson return and are good but they don't wow me. I think DialloMeeks will be a force but he is not overly talented skill wise. BraggBerry is one of the other guys they are bringing incounting on and he is a mid-20 recruit. The DBR pundits have proven that a recruit rated in the 20's is not an impact player. Due to their schedule and their conferenceinability to put underclassmen in the NBA, they might look good record wise but KansasUNC will not make the sweet 16. Okay, so it is not that wild and crazy but I still want some credit come March. Especially if they are number 1 seed in the brackets.

So that's one.

2. Vanderbilt in the Sweet Sixteen

3. State in the NIT

flyingdutchdevil
11-13-2015, 05:34 PM
1) No mid majors in the Elite Eight

2) Kentucky doesn't get a 1, 2, or 3 seed

3) Simmons doesn't win POY

CameronBlue
11-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Just in time for Christmas, UNC's Coach Williams endorses a new game conceived by Milton Bradley, makers of "Twister" called "Vertigo." Instead of colored circles the playing mat includes circles encompassing the various UNC scandals of the past 20 years e.g. "paper classes", "mouthguards", "Fats the Car fixer" etc. Each person assumes a third person identity called "Roy" and attempts to "coverup" a scandal as determined by the spinner. Last person to vomit wins. The pre-release buzz from board game aficionados has described the game as "impossible, no one could coverup that many scandals" but several members of the NCAA COI were recently seen scratching their chins, saying, "yeah, that kindof makes sense."

Edouble
11-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Michigan State beats Virginia again in the NCAAs

gurufrisbee
11-13-2015, 08:09 PM
1) Kentucky, NC, and Maryland are all wildly overrated and none gets past the Sweet Sixteen

2) Between the foursome of Central Michigan, Stephen F Austin, South Dakota St, and Valpairiso there are two sweet sixteen teams

3) The Big Twelve has three elite eight teams in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Iowa State.

Wahoo2000
11-14-2015, 01:42 AM
Michigan State beats Virginia again in the NCAAs

That's only one, but if you're right, here's 2&3:

2. Virginia fans insanely call for Bennett's head
3. Wahoo2000 jumps off his roof when Bennett leaves for the NBA

BigZ
11-14-2015, 02:41 AM
1) No mid majors in the Elite Eight

2) Kentucky doesn't get a 1, 2, or 3 seed

3) Simmons doesn't win POY

Don't mean to bust your bubble but I don't see how predicting one guy not winning POY is a bold prediction.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-14-2015, 08:17 AM
1) UNC's Joel James gets invited to an NBA teams training camp after not being drafted.

2)Kentucky loses in the round of 32...to a Brandon Ingram turnaround jumper at the top of the key.

3) During Christmas break, NC State coach Gottfried announces the addition of women's team freshmen player Nae Nae Cole to the roster for ACC play... Stating..."we've been looking for some grit and toughness for this team, I think we found her".

Forrest
11-14-2015, 08:33 AM
3. State in the NIT

Just to clarify, that was an *optimistic* wild and crazy prediction.

Philadukie
11-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Well, there goes my Utah State prediction! :(

All-conference big man David Collette abruptly quits the team:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/25370743/utah-state-forward-david-collette-leaving-team-likely-to-seek-transfer

His coach was clearly not happy.

gumbomoop
11-14-2015, 11:43 AM
2)Kentucky loses in the round of 32...to a Brandon Ingram turnaround jumper at the top of the key.

You might get some chuckles, and some flak, for this one, at least from me.

Is your prediction crazy because Duke is a 7/8/9 seed? Is it crazy because UK is a 6-seed?

I'm laughing at your friendly snark. Round of 32 -- sneak that one in, undetected. I trust you will agree that it's all in good fun. And I trust you will not deny the snark.

Unless .... You've been out of the loop so long that you hadn't heard about Ingram's decision, and somehow thought he'd cast his lot with the Heels. If that's the case, well, yes, it would be crazy for a Heel fanatic to figure his guys for, hmm, let's do some snark, a 10-seed.

Over to you.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-14-2015, 02:31 PM
You might get some chuckles, and some flak, for this one, at least from me.

Is your prediction crazy because Duke is a 7/8/9 seed? Is it crazy because UK is a 6-seed?

I'm laughing at your friendly snark. Round of 32 -- sneak that one in, undetected. I trust you will agree that it's all in good fun. And I trust you will not deny the snark.

Unless ... You've been out of the loop so long that you hadn't heard about Ingram's decision, and somehow thought he'd cast his lot with the Heels. If that's the case, well, yes, it would be crazy for a Heel fanatic to figure his guys for, hmm, let's do some snark, a 10-seed.

Over to you.

Actually, I never thought about seeds...I was just entertaining myself with the idea of another whole generation of Kentucky fans having to live in the Hell of getting knocked out early....and by a "Laettner-esq" shot from the top of the key by a Duke guy to boot...Their heads will explode.

weezie
11-14-2015, 10:10 PM
Bump for the recognition...

Wander
03-07-2016, 09:34 AM
How's everyone doing with these? I got 1 out of 3 correct.... anyone look good for 2 or 3?

OK I need to get mine in before the first Duke game:

1. Miami will finish in the top 3 of the ACC, displacing one of the presumed top 3 locks of UVA, Duke, and UNC.
2. Cal, ranked 14th in the preseason, will get a #1 seed.
3. Boise State makes the Sweet 16.

luburch
03-07-2016, 09:43 AM

Looks like I'll go 2/3. Maybe they weren't crazy enough..

gumbomoop
03-07-2016, 10:07 AM

Looks like I'm going O-fer. After Wisconsin started its Big 14 schedule 1-4, I was feeling pretty confident about that one. But they turned things around and won 11 of their final 13. Surprised me.

I thought once Craig Victor became eligible at mid season that LSU would prosper, but they're 3-5 down the stretch, and are now a long shot even to make the tourney. A couple of posters warned me that Johnny Jones is not a good coach. Maybe Vandy or Tex A&M will knock off the Heels, so that would be ample compensation for my crazy crazy predictions.

As for Stanford, well, they did win the NCAA men's soccer championship this year, but I don't know that'll help Johnny D much.