PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke, Harry Giles!!

Duke95
11-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Welcome home!!

DukeDevil
11-06-2015, 12:07 PM
you must have had this one ready to go before he announced it...

Welcome! Get that knee rehabbed and enjoy your last year of high school, we look forward to seeing you next year!

Anyone else freak out just a touch by the slightly lighter than expected color of blue?

moonpie23
BOO-YA!!!! welcome to duke, harry....

Neals384
Welcome home!!

That was a very nice, well spoken and articulate announcement. Welcome to Duke, Harry!

flyingdutchdevil
11-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Congrats Harry!!!!! Amazing news.

Can DBR imbed vines? If so, please imbed this: https://vine.co/v/e1m90l9KYUL

kAzE
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm excited :)

Welcome to Duke!!

BD80
Seth Greenberg compared him to James Worthy: I can live with that!

Welcome to Duke Harry!

Seth just called it one of the best recruiting classes EVER!

Reisen
Woot!

CDu
Good news indeed! Hopefully the knee heals quickly and fully and he has a great year at Duke next year!

Looking like a really really good team in the works.

bluedev_92
11-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Great news from a great "kid"!! :)

Duke95
11-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Harry has such a winning smile. He's going to be fine and will be a star at every level. Happy to have him at Duke!

Merlindevildog91
11-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Very happy news!

Welcome, young man. All the best in your recovery and we look forward to seeing you in action next year.

gurufrisbee
11-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Welcome Harry! Congrats on making THE best choice! Get well soon!

NSDukeFan
11-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Yay! Great news! Happy recovery!

flyingdutchdevil
11-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Jeff Capel does it again: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/14066889/duke-blue-devils-land-harry-giles-no-1-recruit-2016-class

My lord, Capel can recruit. I know it comes down to K and Duke, but having someone like Capel cannot be understated.

kAzE
11-06-2015, 12:15 PM
I think Jeff Capel is making a STRONG argument that he's the successor at the helm with the way he's been getting it done on the recruiting trail. The top recruiting class has been UK's by default until Jeff Capel came back to Durham. Now, I just assume we're going to get every guy we want. HELL YEA, I'm pumped up.

BD80
11-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Wow! The talking head on ESPN from the NBA said GREAT things about choosing Duke, how it would prepare him professionally and emotionally.

Billy Dat
11-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Another "Harry the Chosen One", this one just has lightening scars on his knees instead of his forehead. Let the magic begin!

freshmanjs
11-06-2015, 12:19 PM
The top recruiting class has been UK's by default until Jeff Capel came back to Durham.

not following. Calipari only had 2 KY recruiting classes before Capel came back to Duke. One was the top class with John Wall. The second was the class with Brandon Knight, Doron Lamb, and Terrance Jones. I think most would argue that several of Cal's best classes at UK came after Capel was back at Duke.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Welcome, Harry!

Congrats to Coach K, Coach Capel, and all involved.

And of course the Crazies. "Harry Giles, sit with us!"

OZZIE4DUKE
11-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Wow! The talking head on ESPN from the NBA said GREAT things about choosing Duke, how it would prepare him professionally and emotionally.

Welcome to Duke, Harry! Congrats on your choice, and listen to your doctors as you rehabilitate your knee. We very much look forward to watching you next season, and however long you choose to stay at Duke. Oh, I'm sure the students would welcome you again in the student section this season if you are able to attend any games!

I hope you are rooting for Duke tomorrow in that oh, so important game against carolina. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif Heck, I'm sure you are! :cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Vincetaylor
11-06-2015, 12:30 PM
not following. Calipari only had 2 KY recruiting classes before Capel came back to Duke. One was the top class with John Wall. The second was the class with Brandon Knight, Doron Lamb, and Terrance Jones. I think most would argue that several of Cal's best classes at UK came after Capel was back at Duke.

I think it's safe to say Duke is 3-2 vs. UK in recruiting since Capel came on board.

Class of '94
11-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Seth Greenberg compared him to James Worthy: I can live with that!

Welcome to Duke Harry!

Seth just called it one of the best recruiting classes EVER!

I thought Seth made some great points; but I thought he was "stirring the pot" and went a little overboard with saying there could be a possibility someone influences him to sit out next year, rehab and not go to Duke in order to protect himself.

Regardless, I am happy he chose Duke; and loved the comment that if he wasn't a Duke guy, he may well have sit out. However, being a Duke guy, he's attracted to the idea of growing and being better prepared to handle the money and pressures of the NBA by going to Duke.

Welcome to Duke!!

freshmanjs
11-06-2015, 12:32 PM
I think it's safe to say Duke is 3-2 vs. UK in recruiting since Capel came on board.

I totally agree with all discussion about the awesomeness of Duke recruiting in the last few years and Capel's amazing role in that. Don't agree with the statement that Calipari/KY was dominating Duke before Capel came back.

oldnavy
11-06-2015, 12:35 PM
I thought Seth made some great points; but I thought he went a little overboard with saying there could be a possibility someone influences him to sit out next year, rehab and not go to Duke in order to protect himself.

Regardless, I am happy he chose Duke; and loved the comment that if he wasn't a Duke guy, he may well have sit out. However, being a Duke guy, he's attracted to the idea of growing and being better prepared to handle the money and pressures of the NBA by going to Duke.

Welcome to Duke!!

I have no idea how the NBA GM's think, really no idea.... but wouldn't you want to see him play a year healthy against high level comp, verses sitting out two years? He would have to sit this year (rehab) and then wait until he is a year removed from HS to declare wouldn't he??

TKG
11-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Anyone else freak out just a touch by the slightly lighter than expected color of blue?

Absolutely!!

oldnavy
11-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Absolutely!!

Did seem to look a little like UK blue when I first saw it!

duke74
11-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Another "Harry the Chosen One", this one just has lightening scars on his knees instead of his forehead. Let the magic begin!

Well played, Billy

subzero02
11-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Congrats Harry... rehab and use the time away from the court in a productive pursuit.

Ichabod Drain
11-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Welcome to Duke Harry. Can't wait to see what you can bring to the team next year!

Dukehky
11-06-2015, 12:41 PM

I thought you were going to make a Harrison Barnes reference there. We have the best Harry, that's for sure. No way this cat drops to #7 in the draft.

dudog84
11-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Has anyone checked IC? Are they in complete meltdown?

Class of '94
11-06-2015, 12:42 PM
I have no idea how the NBA GM's think, really no idea... but wouldn't you want to see him play a year healthy against high level comp, verses sitting out two years? He would have to sit this year (rehab) and then wait until he is a year removed from HS to declare wouldn't he??

Yes, that's how I understand the rules. And I agree with you btw. I guess a counter argument to our way of thinking would be "the potential" factor he would have by not being seen or playing next season. His stock can only go down; and if he doesn't recover well and has a bad year next season, his stock could go down and no longer be a top draft pick. That being said, I think it would be best for his longterm career and future in the NBA to play under K and get guidance from Coach by playing next season imo.

Ichabod Drain
11-06-2015, 12:42 PM

Nah, most saw the writing on the wall.

flyingdutchdevil
11-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Nah, most saw the writing on the wall.

And UNC has conceded the fact that Duke is owning them on and off the court. Which is true, right now.

This gives me nearly as much joy as the Harry announcement.

Troublemaker
11-06-2015, 12:49 PM

IC Meltdown twitter account (which quotes posts from IC) is always a fun check for times like these: https://twitter.com/ICMeltdown

Welcome to Duke, Harry!

Vine of him putting on the Duke hat for those who didn't see announcement: https://vine.co/v/eLj5YxWPBOg

CrazyNotCrazie
11-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Welcome to Duke, Harry! We wanted you so badly that we named a dorm on East Campus after you!

dudog84
11-06-2015, 01:04 PM
IC Meltdown twitter account (which quotes posts from IC) is always a fun check for times like these: https://twitter.com/ICMeltdown

Thanks, that is fun!

MChambers
11-06-2015, 01:14 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Mr. Giles in the best shade of blue!

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2015, 01:17 PM
Jeff Capel does it again: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/14066889/duke-blue-devils-land-harry-giles-no-1-recruit-2016-class

My lord, Capel can recruit. I know it comes down to K and Duke, but having someone like Capel cannot be understated.

Also playing a major role in the recruitment of Giles was Duke associate head coach Jeff Capel.

"Jeff built a great relationship with Harry and that was key," Oak Hill assistant coach Cory Alexander said.

Two fun things from that quote...very cool of Coach Capel to keep up his successes; I join other posters in offering my congrats to him.
Second fun thing...I had no idea what Cory Alexander was up to until I read that. The assumption tends to be for big time players that go into coaching do so in the college or pro ranks. Granted, Oak Hill isn't just any high school, but that's still fun to see a guy bring his talents to a younger group of players.

elvis14
11-06-2015, 01:17 PM
So happy that Harry Giles is coming to play for Duke! Hope his recovery goes well. What a way to start the weekend.

Duke95
11-06-2015, 01:19 PM
If you want to see a full-on meltdown, go check out the ogboards.

Wake Fans are apoplectic.

Steven43
11-06-2015, 01:20 PM
I think Jeff Capel is making a STRONG argument that he's the successor at the helm with the way he's been getting it done on the recruiting trail. The top recruiting class has been UK's by default until Jeff Capel came back to Durham. Now, I just assume we're going to get every guy we want. HELL YEA, I'm pumped up.

Great recruiter? Maybe, maybe not. There is no real evidence Capel would be getting these guys without Coach K. You are just guessing, really. As far as the other traits that matter the most if one is to be a great coach at Duke University, Capel has proven next to nothing. In fact, I think a look at his coaching resume raises more questions than answers.

I think Duke should go all in after Brad Stevens. He seems to be the absolutely perfect person to follow Coach K.

Billy Dat
11-06-2015, 01:22 PM
I thought you were going to make a Harrison Barnes reference there.

I apologize for leading you down that thought path. That was very careless of me, I wasn't even thinking about him. I try to exclusively refer to him as the Pigeon (an evolution of his self-given moniker - The Black Falcon).

The Pigeon's Skype fiasco turned me off watching any of these announcements live ever again. I now wait for the time to come and go and then jump on Twitter hoping for good news.

flyingdutchdevil
11-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Great recruiter? Maybe, maybe not. There is no real evidence Capel would be getting these guys without Coach K. You are just guessing, really. As far as the other traits that matter the most if one is to be a great coach at Duke University, Capel has proven next to nothing. In fact, I think a look at his coaching resume raises more questions than answers.

I think Duke should go all in after Brad Stevens. He seems to be the absolutely perfect person to follow Coach K.

Capel being a great recruiter is 1000x more plausible than Duke getting Brad Stevens as its next coach.

Stevens is going some amazing work in Boston with terrible talent. I know this cus I live in Boston. The Brad-Stevens-to-Duke ship sailed two years ago. And I'm with kaze; Capel gets my vote for next in line.

whereinthehellami
11-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Congrats to Harry Giles. Really excited about where the team is now and where it is headed. Great time to be a Duke fan!

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2015, 01:29 PM

Capel being a great recruiter is 1000x more plausible than Duke getting Brad Stevens as its next coach.

Stevens is going some amazing work in Boston with terrible talent. I know this cus I live in Boston. The Brad-Stevens-to-Duke ship sailed two years ago. And I'm with kaze; Capel gets my vote for next in line.
Stop! Before this once again turns into the millionth who-replaces-K-thread.

sammy3469
11-06-2015, 01:30 PM
I have no idea how the NBA GM's think, really no idea... but wouldn't you want to see him play a year healthy against high level comp, verses sitting out two years? He would have to sit this year (rehab) and then wait until he is a year removed from HS to declare wouldn't he??

The closest comp is probably Mudiay. Going to China plus getting hurt definitely hurt his stock. He went from a projected sure-fire top 3 to the 7th pick. Like last year's class, Giles's class is also very strong, so I think it's safe to say he'd slide at least a little completely sitting out especially if some of the other guys shine.

RepoMan
11-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Great news! Impossibly wonderful time to be a Duke fan. Soak it up and enjoy!

kAzE
11-06-2015, 01:39 PM

If I wasn't the first guy on board with Stevens being the best choice, I was at least in the top 3 on this board. I was saying get this guy since his first final four with Butler, and I'm still on board with that. But he's the head coach of the freaking Boston Celtics. Duke is great, but it's the Celtics . . . the most successful franchise in NBA history. He's got 110% backing from Danny Ainge and the Celtic's ownership and I believe he will be there for the long haul. Of course I'm guessing . . . what kind of accusation is that? All I said was that Capel is making a strong statement for his candidacy as Coach K's successor with the way he's been getting it done recruiting.

But I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of his resume. He's always been an outstanding coach. Has he made some mistakes? Sure, his last few years at Oklahoma weren't ideal. He was a young coach who got a big conference head coaching job at the age of 31. A large part of his downfall there had to do with injuries and off the court issues. Nobody's perfect. But he's consistently recruited ridiculously well: Blake Griffin, Rodney Hood, Jabari Parker, Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor and Justise Winslow are all guys that he built early relationships with, and now you can Harry Giles to that list. By my count, that's three top 3 overall NBA draft picks, with a presumptive 4th in Giles. He has amazing connections, and is widely held in high regard among players and other coaches. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is Coach K's top choice for a successor.

mattman91
11-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Who cares about who will replace K? Not the time or thread.

WELCOME TO DUKE, HARRY!

kAzE
11-06-2015, 01:53 PM

WELCOME TO DUKE, HARRY!

Maybe it's the not the best place to get into a lengthy discussion about it, but I'm pretty sure plenty of people care about it, including future recruits.

But for the sake of this thread, I agree we should focus on this guy. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fASlnqiguKo)

Harry, get well soon, so we can see some more of that in Duke blue!

wilson
11-06-2015, 01:55 PM

Wake Fans are apoplectic.Wow. The vitriol there is quite childish and, to me, surprising. I imagine it's just a small and loud subset of people on that board, but in my experience, Wake fans are pretty magnanimous about their place in the athletic pecking order. As noted in recent conversations before Giles' commitment, it never looked particularly realistic that he would play at Wake, so their (over)reaction is a bit, well...extreme. Anecdotal note: My brother is a Wake grad, and though he follows the Deacs pretty closely, I'd about guarantee that he's never heard of Harry Giles. I just don't understand the tone of some of those posts.

Edouble
11-06-2015, 01:55 PM
If I wasn't the first guy on board with Stevens being the best choice, I was at least in the top 3 on this board. I was saying get this guy since his first final four with Butler, and I'm still on board with that. But he's the head coach of the freaking Boston Celtics. Duke is great, but it's the Celtics . . . the most successful franchise in NBA history. He's got 110% backing from Danny Ainge and the Celtic's ownership and I believe he will be there for the long haul. Of course I'm guessing . . . what kind of accusation is that? All I said was that Capel is making a strong statement for his candidacy as Coach K's successor with the way he's been getting it done recruiting.

But I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of his resume. He's always been an outstanding coach. Has he made some mistakes? Sure, his last few years at Oklahoma weren't ideal. He was a young coach who got a big conference head coaching job at the age of 31. A large part of his downfall there had to do with injuries and off the court issues. Nobody's perfect. But he's consistently recruited ridiculously well: Blake Griffin, Rodney Hood, Jabari Parker, Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor and Justise Winslow are all guys that he built early relationships with, and now you can Harry Giles to that list. By my count, that's three top 3 overall NBA draft picks, with a presumptive 4th in Giles. He has amazing connections, and is widely held in high regard among players and other coaches. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is Coach K's top choice for a successor.

Great post. If Capel does not take over, I don't want to play the team that he ends up with.

I don't get the infatuation with Brad Stevens. No doubt he's a good coach, but I would rather have Capel than Stevens at this point.

So glad to hear the news about Harry Giles. Welcome to Duke, young man!

elvis14
11-06-2015, 02:03 PM

Wake Fans are apoplectic.

Wow, that board is pathetic. The amount of unmoderated crap being posted is pitiful. The hate for Duke on display rivals IC (not to mention the ridiculous lies).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-06-2015, 02:07 PM

WELCOME TO DUKE, HARRY!

I am with you!

Welcome Harry!

Edouble
11-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Wow, that board is pathetic. The amount of unmoderated crap being posted is pitiful. The hate for Duke on display rivals IC (not to mention the ridiculous lies).

I went over there out of curiosity, since everyone kept mentioning it.

Someone actually posted a photo of poo! That is so uncalled for!

I can't believe how much they hate Duke. It's weird and pretty immature.

BD80
11-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Basketball is a game of just 5 on a team. The team with the best player usually wins.

Giles was considered one of the best non-NBA players THIS year (would be the #1 pick in the 2016 draft).

Tatum has long been considered one of the best 3 players in the loaded 2016 class, and was considered to be the most improved player in the country over the summer, to the point he is in the same rarified status as Giles.

We will have TWO of the best players in all of college basketball, along with Jackson and DeLaurier, blended with senior Matt Jones, (maybe junior Grayson Allen), a stronger, more experienced Jeter in the post, clutch Kennard, lightning quick PG ThorNton, and depth with Obi, Vrankovic and Robinson.

As much fun as it will be to watch that team, THIS year's team will be more interesting. Much of the learning for future years will occur this year. Jones , Jeter, Thornton and Kennard (and Allen?) must learn how to be leaders and defenders.

Oh, yeah. I'm sure that 2017 players Young, Trent, Harvey, Carter and Bamba noticed what happened today and heard all of the positive commentary.

Good time to be a Blue Devil

kAzE
11-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Basketball is a game of just 5 on a team. The team with the best player usually wins.

Giles was considered one of the best non-NBA players THIS year (would be the #1 pick in the 2016 draft).

Tatum has long been considered one of the best 3 players in the loaded 2016 class, and was considered to be the most improved player in the country over the summer, to the point he is in the same rarified status as Giles.

We will have TWO of the best players in all of college basketball, along with Jackson and DeLaurier, blended with senior Matt Jones, (maybe junior Grayson Allen), a stronger, more experienced Jeter in the post, clutch Kennard, lightning quick PG ThorNton, and depth with Obi, Vrankovic and Robinson.

As much fun as it will be to watch that team, THIS year's team will be more interesting. Much of the learning for future years will occur this year. Jones , Jeter, Thornton and Kennard (and Allen?) must learn how to be leaders and defenders.

Oh, yeah. I'm sure that 2017 players Young, Trent, Harvey, Carter and Bamba noticed what happened today and heard all of the positive commentary.

Good time to be a Blue Devil

I'm absolutely in love with Tatum's game. I've never seen a guy that young who is such a polished scorer from mid range. It seems like most kids just practice threes and dunking now. Not Tatum, his game from the high post is so good, he's obviously been watching a ton of Michael Jordan/Kobe Bryant tape. One of his signature moves that I've seen several times in all of his videos is the post fadeaway, and it's basically unguardable 1 on 1 by anyone in college basketball. He's going to be the go-to scorer from the day he steps on campus. And with all those shooters on the wings and Giles in the low post, he's going to have plenty of room to do his thing. It's going to be awesome.

elvis14
11-06-2015, 02:37 PM
Just out of curiosity I read the IC Harry Giles to Duke thread. I may have to take shower. It wasn't as bad at the Wake board. They are pretty unhappy with the current state of recruiting. Lots of references to 'the scandal' and a few posters stating that Mens Basketball did nothing wrong, will not be punished and will return to glory once the NCAA stops dragging it's feet. Realism be damned! Never do you hear "I wish we hadn't have cheated all those years". Lots of Duke hate. Some hate for Giles, lots of people saying they hope he loses all his games against them (something I've been known to say on here about them). Overall about what I would have expected.

One question....is it true that Giles intends to graduate early and come to Duke in January?

DukeFanSince1990
11-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Just out of curiosity I read the IC Harry Giles to Duke thread. I may have to take shower. It wasn't as bad at the Wake board. They are pretty unhappy with the current state of recruiting. Lots of references to 'the scandal' and a few posters stating that Mens Basketball did nothing wrong, will not be punished and will return to glory once the NCAA stops dragging it's feet. Realism be damned! Never do you hear "I wish we hadn't have cheated all those years". Lots of Duke hate. Some hate for Giles, lots of people saying they hope he loses all his games against them (something I've been known to say on here about them). Overall about what I would have expected.

One question...is it true that Giles intends to graduate early and come to Duke in January?

Man, if true that would be such a smart move. Go ahead and rehab at a cutting edge facility, watch and learn in practice, etc, etc.

DavidBenAkiva
11-06-2015, 03:42 PM
While many here have expected Giles to commit to Duke for a while, it feels so great to finally see him in that Duke hat. The amount of talent potentially on the roster next year is going to be nuts. I was just thinking about the team the Blue Devils might trot out next season.

PG: Thornton, Jackson
SG: Jones, Allen (maybe?)
SF: Tatum, Kennard
PF: Giles, DeLaurier, Robinson
C: Jeter, Obi, Vrankovic

That is an amazing wealth of talent coming to Durham. There are at 8 players on that team (if Allen is still there in 2016-17) with legitimate hopes of getting drafted in the NBA. A rotation featuring those 8 guys and then having four players with 1-3 years of experience in the front court behind Giles and Jeter is really, really exciting to think about.

But wait, it gets better! Duke already has a top 5 team THIS YEAR!

oldnavy
11-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Welcome Harry, glad to have you on the team!

Speaking of IC meltdown;
I don't go to IC, but my insane UNC fan (redundant?), friend who I do speak too still.... has gone to a place in his mind where UNC is better off by not getting the top talent, ergo; their methods are purer and most reflect the mission of keeping kids in school for the education. IOW UNC chooses to not recruit top talent any longer so therefore

This same guy and I had a conversation about 10+ years ago when the UNC players were leaving early for the pro's at a regular clip (remember that?), and he told me how wonderful it was that UNC was prepping them so well and how they were smart for taking the money, and K was super selfish for telling kids to stay in school. He brought up the whole lie that K told Brand(?) that he was "messing" up his (K's) program.... sorry, probably have wrong player... it was a long time ago but I am sure you know who it was.

Moral of the story.... UNC fans (with a few exceptions) are just plain delusional, and it is a waste of your precious time talking with the idiots.

They can't keep up with us on the court or field so they cheat, and they do that REALLY BAD!

Steven43
11-06-2015, 03:55 PM
But he's the head coach of the freaking Boston Celtics. Duke is great, but it's the Celtics . . . the most successful franchise in NBA history.

Of course I'm guessing . . . what kind of accusation is that?

He's always been an outstanding coach.

If the Celtics job is so much better than the Duke job, why didn't Coach K go for it? He could have had it in a heartbeat. But he didn't, did he? He decided the Duke job was BETTER than the Celtics job.

What I meant by you guessing was that you are GUESSING at whether or not Capel is the main reason Duke is getting the players you mentioned. I do not believe Capel would be getting most of those guys without Coach K. I think Coach K is the main reason these players are choosing to come to Duke, not Capel. Are you really going to argue this point?

And no, in my opinion he has not come anywhere close to proving he is an outstanding coach. Nowhere near it.

Look, I like the guy just fine, but I think one should have a significantly better resume than what Capel brings to the table if you're going to get serious consideration at replacing who is very likely the greatest head coach in the history of college basketball.

oldnavy
11-06-2015, 03:58 PM
While many here have expected Giles to commit to Duke for a while, it feels so great to finally see him in that Duke hat. The amount of talent potentially on the roster next year is going to be nuts. I was just thinking about the team the Blue Devils might trot out next season.

That is an amazing wealth of talent coming to Durham. There are at 8 players on that team (if Allen is still there in 2016-17) with legitimate hopes of getting drafted in the NBA. A rotation featuring those 8 guys and then having four players with 1-3 years of experience in the front court behind Giles and Jeter is really, really exciting to think about.

I'm worried about blending all that talent into a cohesive single minded group, I mean it's not like we have a coach with experience doing that.... :rolleyes:

WOW!

cato
11-06-2015, 04:05 PM
If the Celtics job is so much better than the Duke job, why didn't Coach K go for it? He could have had it in a heartbeat. But he didn't, did he? He decided the Duke job was BETTER than the Celtics job.

Coach K almost did take the job. Of course, he chose to stay in his current position, and went onto win back-to-back titles.

Coach K also came close to taking the Lakers job, IIRC. The lure of coaching top talent was strong, I believe.

I imagine that K stayed primarily because of the ties he (and his family) had already built with his team, the program, the University and Durham as a whole.

Now you are suggesting that Stevens would make the opposite decision as K -- leave the place where he and his family are building ties to a team, organization and community -- in order to step down a level of basketball, and try to take over from the most successful college coach ever?

I'm not saying Duke shouldn't make the call, but I suggest you not hold your breath for Stevens to be announced as K's successor.

NYBri
11-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Amazing run by K and Capel.

Having Giles and Tatum and Jeter and Jackson and Thornton AND KENNARD (who I believe is going to be Singler-esque)...amazing.

Especially after our very deep run this year!

flyingdutchdevil
11-06-2015, 05:13 PM

Sadly, this is why I think Allen goes pro this year, regardless of how he does this year. The depth next year, coupled with a weak draft this year and insanely stacked draft in 2017, will unfortunately incentivize Allen to go pro this year.

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack this thread (again), but just sharing my thoughts given this ridiculous line up next year.

kAzE
11-06-2015, 05:15 PM

Moving sucks . . . most people with family and a history with an employer/company/program will not want to uproot their family to make what is essentially a lateral career move. Coach K has put deep roots in the Duke program, and he was nearing the end of his coaching career. Moving across the country was not something he was interested in. Could Brad Stevens decide to go back to college? Maybe, but after he finishes his current contract in Boston, he'll have been there for 6 years. He and his family will have made friends and connections in Boston. He is beloved by the Celtics' owners and fans, and for good reason, he's a damn good coach. They are going to do whatever it takes to keep him there, and Duke has very little chance of changing that.

What I meant by you guessing was that you are GUESSING at whether or not Capel is the main reason Duke is getting the players you mentioned. I do not believe Capel would be getting most of those guys without Coach K. I think Coach K is the main reason these players are choosing to come to Duke, not Capel. Are you really going to argue this point?

Yes, I'm going to argue this. Obviously Coach K is the main reason these elite recruits come to Duke. There's no disagreement there. Does Capel get all these guys without Coach K? Probably not. But does Coach K get all these guys without Capel? Absolutely not. Capel was the first point of contact for all those guys I mentioned. Coach K missed out on plenty of elite talent prior to Capel's return to Durham. His obligations to Duke and to USA basketball put demands on his time that prevented him from contacting recruits daily. Without Capel's relationships with all of those players, I can confidently say that we would not be nearly as successful as we have been. Capel has been instrumental to Duke's recent success.

Kedsy
11-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Coach K has put deep roots in the Duke program, and he was nearing the end of his coaching career. Moving across the country was not something he was interested in.

Well, except the Celtics offered him the job in 1990, when he was 43 years old and had been at Duke less than 10 years.

Troublemaker
11-06-2015, 05:24 PM
short interview with local station post-announcement: http://www.wfmynews2.com/videos/sports/2015/11/06/75312646/

kAzE
11-06-2015, 05:24 PM
Well, except the Celtics offered him the job in 1990, when he was 43 years old and had been at Duke less than 10 years.

Oh . . . well, I was 4 years old when that happened, so pardon me for forgetting about that. I was thinking about the Lakers offer. Still, 10 years isn't exactly a cup of tea.

kAzE
11-06-2015, 05:31 PM
short interview with local station post-announcement: http://www.wfmynews2.com/videos/sports/2015/11/06/75312646/

I LOVE his approach to everything. He's so positive and upbeat, despite his awful luck. He's focused on the right things, and he seems like a great young man and an awesome teammate. I'm ecstatic that he's a Blue Devil :)

jimsumner
11-06-2015, 05:41 PM
Welcome Harry, glad to have you on the team!

Speaking of IC meltdown;
I don't go to IC, but my insane UNC fan (redundant?), friend who I do speak too still... has gone to a place in his mind where UNC is better off by not getting the top talent, ergo; their methods are purer and most reflect the mission of keeping kids in school for the education. IOW UNC chooses to not recruit top talent any longer so therefore

!

Aesop's Fables are in the general neighborhood of 2,600 years old and the fable about the fox and the sour grapes might be the most oft told.

So, there's some fundamental human-nature issues involved here.

gam7
11-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Great recruiter? Maybe, maybe not. There is no real evidence Capel would be getting these guys without Coach K. You are just guessing, really. ...

Steven43, I saw you make a similar comment in another thread recently, and I held my tongue. I have to say, I'm a bit surprised (unless Steven43 is in fact Brad Stevens) by the unwillingness to give Capel his due as a recruiter. It seems pretty clear that when time and time again the people involved with these recruitments are praising Capel, then he probably is doing something right. It is OK to acknowledge the good work he has done as a recruiter but at the same time feel there might be better successors out there.

As far as the other traits that matter the most if one is to be a great coach at Duke University, Capel has proven next to nothing.

I did find an old post (pasted below) from a poster who might disagree with the sentiment above, which you have made at least a couple of times recently. The poster praises a particular aspect of Capel's coaching ability - specifically, his work with big men and suggests that there should be more discussion of his contributions to their productivity. The post is from January 20, 2012. And the poster is you.

A few weeks ago I heard a comment from Coach K on a radio show in which he said that Jeff Capel has been working with our big men this year. Coincidentally (or not), our big men--Miles, Mason, and Ryan--have all made great strides recently. Miles' game is more well-rounded than ever on both offense and defense. Though his play is inconsistent, he is finally starting to show that professional basketball might be in his future. Mason has been even more consistent and dynamic than he was last year. His rebounding, defense, and offensive moves are all improved. If he could ever get his free throws to a 65-70% level he'd be an NBA lock for the next ten years. Ryan is scoring better on both the inside and outside, rebounding better, and playing decent defense. He still lacks great movement and can't jump particularly well--casting doubt on a possible NBA career--but it's now not out of the question for him. I'm not trying to knock Wojo here; I like him. I'm just surprised that I haven't heard much discussion of Jeff's contributions.

PalmettoExpat
11-06-2015, 05:49 PM

This kid seems awesome. Total "Duke kid" vibe similar to Jabari, Justise, etc. I can't wait to see Tatum-Giles in action.

BD80
11-06-2015, 05:53 PM
... Coach K also came close to taking the Lakers job, IIRC. The lure of coaching top talent was strong, I believe. ... .

Next year's Duke team may have more talent than the Lakers

Duke95
11-06-2015, 05:53 PM
I went to a Harry Giles thread and a Capel vs. Stevens fight broke out.

flyingdutchdevil
11-06-2015, 05:55 PM

True. But in fairness, the Vatican City national basketball team has more talent than the Lakers.

Poor Ryan Kelly.

BD80
11-06-2015, 06:01 PM
True. But in fairness, the Vatican City national basketball team has more talent than the Lakers. ...

And they say Coach K has an advantage because of his connections with the powers that be ...

cato
11-06-2015, 06:14 PM

I turn 40 next week and my oldest just started Kindergarten. I would struggle to pick up and move -- and I don't have Grant Hill arriving at my work place next fall.

BigZ
11-06-2015, 07:14 PM

Kevin Durant will be on the Lakers next year...

dbcooper
11-06-2015, 07:18 PM
This young man already has Sponsor's, Endorsement's , Oh my.....:cool::cool:

https://www.harrys.com/

NashvilleDevil
11-06-2015, 07:19 PM

And no, in my opinion he has not come anywhere close to proving he is an outstanding coach. Nowhere near it.

Look, I like the guy just fine, but I think one should have a significantly better resume than what Capel brings to the table if you're going to get serious consideration at replacing who is very likely the greatest head coach in the history of college basketball.

Capel has a better resume than Coach K did when he got the Duke job.

-bdbd
11-06-2015, 07:29 PM

Thanks. Great interview. That's my first time hearing him speak. Just seems like a great kid - polite, well-spoken, respectful and maybe humble. That interview impressed me a lot. The kind of nice kid you want your daughter to end up with some day.

Welcome to Duke Harry!

sagegrouse
11-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Coach K almost did take the job. Of course, he chose to stay in his current position, and went onto win back-to-back titles.

Coach K also came close to taking the Lakers job, IIRC. The lure of coaching top talent was strong, I believe.

I imagine that K stayed primarily because of the ties he (and his family) had already built with his team, the program, the University and Durham as a whole.

Coincidentally or not, both flirtations with the NBA came in the year a new president arrived at Duke. Conveniently enough, it got him a better deal at Duke and also showed who was boss.

OZ
11-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Capel has a better resume than Coach K did when he got the Duke job.

Yes; and if Capel were to take coach K's place in 20 years, he would assume the leadership of a lot better situation than did K. Duke wasn't exactly everyone's dream job when K was hired.

sagegrouse
11-06-2015, 08:09 PM
Yes; and if Capel were to take coach K's place in 20 years, he would assume the leadership of a lot better situation than did K. Duke wasn't exactly everyone's dream job when K was hired.

Not to disagree, but Duke may have been K's dream job. He turned down Iowa State with just the possibility that he might be offered the Duke job.

Duke before K, 1960-1980 -- four Final Fours (two finals) and six ACC championships. Not too shabby.

NSDukeFan
11-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Stop! Before this once again turns into the millionth who-replaces-K-thread.

How many minutes do you think Giles gets next year? Do you think he will rank higher as an offensive or defensive rebounder, percentage-wise?

JPtheGame
11-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Here watch this jinx:
I'm saying duke goes undefeated next season. I'll enjoy the moment and this year and no looking ahead and all the other message board advice I'll receive but I stand by it.
I'd like to get one more big body bc the only hole I see is if a team like this years Maryland squad were to come at duke with multiple bigs. But even if we don't, we will have the most talent, the best coach ever, experienced leadership and shooters for days. Put it on the board, duke goes 40-0, K matches his mentor in 16-17.

Tripping William
11-06-2015, 09:16 PM
How many minutes do you think Giles gets next year? Do you think he will rank higher as an offensive or defensive rebounder, percentage-wise?

It depends. What does KenPom has to say about those questions?

jimsumner
11-06-2015, 09:21 PM
We're five pages into this thread and nobody has mentioned cinder blocks yet? :)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-06-2015, 09:33 PM
We're five pages into this thread and nobody has mentioned cinder blocks yet? :)

Inside sources tell me that Giles will be enrolling early, but just so that he can transfer next season because he is disappointed in his minutes.

NSDukeFan
11-06-2015, 09:41 PM

Or beer, BBQ or Hitler?

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2015, 09:56 PM
How many minutes do you think Giles gets next year?
Depends if he's only playing with one crutch or two. If only one, at least 20.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2015, 10:09 PM
Someone needs to let him know that coming to Duke Med for surgery does not constitute "getting to campus early."

I mean, I dig the dedication and all. But -- c'mon, man.

More important question -- does Dr. Moorman continue to get starter minutes?

Atlanta Duke
11-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Not to disagree, but Duke may have been K's dream job. He turned down Iowa State with just the possibility that he might be offered the Duke job.

Duke before K, 1960-1980 -- four Final Fours (two finals) and six ACC championships. Not too shabby.

Agreed not too shabby although the 5 seasons prior to 1977-78 through 1979-80 were not that far in the rear view mirror for any coach considering how attractive the job was after Bill Foster's great recruits moved on in a conference where you had to compete against Lefty and Dean.

Not that it is going to happen, but I think any coach not part of the K coaching tree would have some hesitation in following K - be the coach who comes in after the coach who follows the legend

BlueandWhite
11-06-2015, 11:06 PM
Maybe it's the not the best place to get into a lengthy discussion about it, but I'm pretty sure plenty of people care about it, including future recruits.

But for the sake of this thread, I agree we should focus on this guy. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fASlnqiguKo)

Harry, get well soon, so we can see some more of that in Duke blue!

Just watched this video. Wow.

brevity
11-07-2015, 12:36 AM
Someone needs to let him know that coming to Duke Med for surgery does not constitute "getting to campus early."

Why not? Hospitals have an admissions process.

devildeac
11-07-2015, 01:24 AM
Or beer, BBQ or Hitler?

Now that you mention it, I heard Adolph liked radlers and wienerschnitzel. No links (sausage or internet) available. :rolleyes:

ricks68
11-07-2015, 01:42 AM
Now that you mention it, I heard Adolph liked radlers and wienerschnitzel. No links (sausage or internet) available. :rolleyes:

I can't sleep in anticipation of the Stout Bout in 11 hours and 18 monutes at Hi-Wire, what's your excuse?

ricks

devildeac
11-07-2015, 01:50 AM
I can't sleep in anticipation of the Stout Bout in 11 hours and 18 monutes at Hi-Wire, what's your excuse?

ricks

Two and a half hour drive to the coast after leaving a party at about 1015 PM and sipping a 2008 edition Samichlaus now at 14% ABV...

Monutes?

Welcome to Duke, Harry Giles, rehab and get well soon!

ricks68
11-07-2015, 02:20 AM
Two and a half hour drive to the coast after leaving a party at about 1015 PM and sipping a 2008 edition Samichlaus now at 14% ABV...

Monutes?

Welcome to Duke, Harry Giles, rehab and get well soon!

G'Night:) Will see if we can pick up some of that Russian Imperial Stout for you and fuse to go along with the Hi-Wire Strongman Coffee Milk Stout I got for you guys last night.

How about "Scary Harry" as the first of many nickname speculations that should be appearing later in the am on the boards? Time to move on from the minutes speculation thread since the season is actually upon us.

Welcome to the boards as an official Dukie now, Harry!!!:D

ricks

BD80
11-07-2015, 06:10 AM

More important question -- does Dr. Moorman continue to get starter minutes?

He will look great in the exhibition season and early non-conference cupcake part of schedule (surgery next week?), but I for one hope we don't hear his name again until the next off-season when we talk about how good Harry looks in pick-up games.

oldnavy
11-07-2015, 06:40 AM
Using the tried and true cinder block measurement is getting much harder these days. Hard to find good photos of these kids in front of cinder block walls. I don't know if that means they are playing in fancier gyms with paneling and chandeliers vice the old school blocks and florescent lights, or if they have heard of the cinder block measurement tool and want to avoid people finding out what their true height and wing span are. Players and their handlers have been know to embellish. They want to control the narrative on the tale of the tape so they avoid stopping in front of block walls. :)

Now having said all of that, I can make a pretty confident prediction about Brandon Ingram's weight, he is about 2 and 1/2 blocks (not the solid ones) soaking wet!

Tripping William
11-07-2015, 07:02 AM
He will look great in the exhibition season and early non-conference cupcake part of schedule (surgery next week?), but I for one hope we don't hear his name again until the next off-season when we talk about how good Harry looks in pick-up games.

Though Nick Horvath will still absolutely own him in those pick-up contests ....

Indoor66
11-07-2015, 07:46 AM
Here watch this jinx:
I'm saying duke goes undefeated next season. I'll enjoy the moment and this year and no looking ahead and all the other message board advice I'll receive but I stand by it.
I'd like to get one more big body bc the only hole I see is if a team like this years Maryland squad were to come at duke with multiple bigs. But even if we don't, we will have the most talent, the best coach ever, experienced leadership and shooters for days. Put it on the board, duke goes 40-0, K matches his mentor in 16-17.

If you hurry you can get the 40-0 tee shirt exclusive....:p:cool:

Undefeated is as unlikely as putting on feather wings and flying and I am an optimist.

arnie
11-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Very disappointed with Inside Carolina reaction to Giles commitment. Not nearly the vitriol I expected. Just blaming inability to recruit on national confusion between UNC men's and women's bball. Some commentators are predicting sanctions on men's bball when everyone at Carolina know it's just the women's team that will be slammed.

flyingdutchdevil
11-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Very disappointed with Inside Carolina reaction to Giles commitment. Not nearly the vitriol I expected. Just blaming inability to recruit on national confusion between UNC men's and women's bball. Some commentators are predicting sanctions on men's bball when everyone at Carolina know it's just the women's team that will be slammed.

I weirdly agree. The meltdown wasn't very...melty. But they knew Giles wasn't coming to UNC. And they knew he was going to Duke.

IC: the best cure after a stressful day at work!

devildeac
11-07-2015, 08:47 AM
If you hurry you can get the 40-0 tee shirt exclusive...:p:cool:

Undefeated is as unlikely as putting on feather wings and flying and I am an optimist.

Hmmm, Has anyone ever seen Indoor66 and Icarus together?;)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Though Nick Horvath will still absolutely own him in those pick-up contests ...

I personally think that he should be benched for M. Plumlee.

Indoor66
11-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Hmmm, Has anyone ever seen Indoor66 and Icarus together?;)

No, but we are the same age.

Bluedevil114
11-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Using the tried and true cinder block measurement is getting much harder these days. Hard to find good photos of these kids in front of cinder block walls. I don't know if that means they are playing in fancier gyms with paneling and chandeliers vice the old school blocks and florescent lights, or if they have heard of the cinder block measurement tool and want to avoid people finding out what their true height and wing span are. Players and their handlers have been know to embellish. They want to control the narrative on the tale of the tape so they avoid stopping in front of block walls. :)

Now having said all of that, I can make a pretty confident prediction about Brandon Ingram's weight, he is about 2 and 1/2 blocks (not the solid ones) soaking wet!

Are the blocks soaking wet or is Brandon soaking wet? There is a big difference.

oldnavy
11-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Going on IC is like going to the zoo and watching the monkey's throw poop on each other.... sort of interesting and entertaining yet disgusting as well.

JPtheGame
11-07-2015, 03:08 PM

Likely? Probability is a lie. Everything is 50/50. It either will happen or it won't. Duke going 40-0 in 16-17 will happen.
Don't fight it.! Don't let the cynic inside win. Just join the 40-0 believers club and enjoy the ride with me.

JPtheGame
11-07-2015, 03:14 PM

Btw, here's some people who put on wings and flew so now we know 40-0 is a lock!

http://youtu.be/_VPvKl6ezyc

MarkD83
11-07-2015, 03:37 PM
As long as they win the last 10 I'll be happy

Indoor66
11-07-2015, 04:21 PM
As long as they win the last 10 I'll be happy

I'm with you on that one!

Devilwin
11-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Still a bit concerned about his knee. Should he, if all goes well, be ready for next season?

BD80
11-08-2015, 07:33 AM
Still a bit concerned about his knee. Should he, if all goes well, be ready for next season?

Ah, the DBR phenomenon, vigilization.

Troublemaker
11-08-2015, 09:17 AM

It depends on what you mean by "ready." This is an injury with a 6 to 9 month recovery/rehab period on average, and we're a full year away from starting next season. From that standpoint, Harry should be ready for both the first game of the season and also the start of official practice in October. And it's also possible he'll be ready for the informal workouts/pickup ball that the upperclassmen put the freshmen through, beginning when the freshmen arrive on campus in late June / early July for Summer Session 2. (But now that I've put finger to keyboard about that, I would guess Harry sits out those informal workouts/pickup at first as a precautionary thing.)

However, when you go beyond just being able to play, there seems to be a conventional wisdom among athletes that they don't feel completely like themselves until that second season back from ACL surgery. Which would be a shame. But even if that's true, I still think Harry is going to be a very, very good player at Duke next season.

gam7
11-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Without going all greybeard on everyone, there does seem to be something about the way Harry runs, jumps and lands (in his mixtapes) that makes me a little nervous and not entirely shocked that he has had these knee injuries. Not sure if "pronation" is the right word, but there is a lot of taking off and landing at sort of unusual angles with lots of big bodies in close proximity. Does anyone else get that sense?

Furniture
11-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Without going all greybeard on everyone, there does seem to be something about the way Harry runs, jumps and lands (in his mixtapes) that makes me a little nervous and not entirely shocked that he has had these knee injuries. Not sure if "pronation" is the right word, but there is a lot of taking off and landing at sort of unusual angles with lots of big bodies in close proximity. Does anyone else get that sense?

I have the same feeling when I watch Winslow!

OldPhiKap
11-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Is greybeard no longer among us? Haven't seen his unique posting style in some time.

jimsumner
11-08-2015, 04:14 PM
What I've heard from athletes in a variety of sports is that the mental/psychological hurdles to recover can be as daunting as the physical ones.

Basically, it can take some time before you trust your body, before you can make that cut without thinking about it, make that tackle without thinking about it and so forth.

This will be the second-time Giles has come back from a knee injury. Will that make it easier? Harder? No difference?

Pghdukie
11-08-2015, 08:27 PM
What I've heard from athletes in a variety of sports is that the mental/psychological hurdles to recover can be as daunting as the physical ones.

Basically, it can take some time before you trust your body, before you can make that cut without thinking about it, make that tackle without thinking about it and so forth.

This will be the second-time Giles has come back from a knee injury. Will that make it easier? Harder? No difference?

I am not a physician or therapist, but my opinion is that Giles will be under much better and be more closely watched than his first time around. His recovery will be monitored by the best in the business. As a result, Giles will have a mentally easier time because he's been thru it. Physically, much harder because of the rewards he'll gain down the road. Best wishes to the young man !

billy
11-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Has it been reported/verified anywhere that his injury requires surgery? Partial tears may or may not. ACL has 2 bundles, often 1 tears and one remains intact. It's possible to do a single bundle repair in that situation. The recovery would be similar to that of a routine ACL surgery.

A partial tear ultimately could mean anything from tearing a few fibers only to almost all of them. Hence my question as to whether anyone's heard definitively that he's having reconstructive surgery.

Random thoughts:
Regarding the biomechanics questions above, undoubtedly some athletes are predisposed to a higher risk of ACL tears. In Mr. Giles case, it's not surprising that he tore his "healthy" ACL rather than his reconstructed one. Studies show that your risk of a tear to the "normal" ACL is higher than the likelihood of retearing a reconstructed one (about 9% vs. 6%).

Unfortunately, teenage males are the second most likely group to retear an ACL after reconstruction (after teenage females). The timeline on when to return to playing varies according to the medical staff's and patient's preferences. Objective measurements of core strength, quad strength, and balance can help guide the medical team as to when a player is "ready". Also unfortunately, national studies suggest that only about 2/3 of athletes are able to attain their previous level of athletic performance or better.

Channing
11-16-2015, 01:47 PM
I may have missed it in another thread, but has there been any talk of HG graduating early and enrolling at Duke next semester. I think I saw Dennis Smith announce he was going to do this and, in their cases, I think it makes sense. HG won't be playing any year-end all star games, so that is not a concern. If he graduates early he can enroll at Duke and start taking advantage of the world class training and recovery opportunities the university can offer. I think it would be an NCAA violation for him to have that unfettered access to resources without enrolling.

BD80
11-16-2015, 02:27 PM
I may have missed it in another thread, but has there been any talk of HG graduating early and enrolling at Duke next semester. I think I saw Dennis Smith announce he was going to do this and, in their cases, I think it makes sense. HG won't be playing any year-end all star games, so that is not a concern. If he graduates early he can enroll at Duke and start taking advantage of the world class training and recovery opportunities the university can offer. I think it would be an NCAA violation for him to have that unfettered access to resources without enrolling.

It sounded to me that he mentioned it in his post announcement interview on ESPN. I chalked it up to just wishful-thinking induced hearing resulting from my delirious state caused by his announcement.

flyingdutchdevil
11-16-2015, 03:30 PM
It sounded to me that he mentioned it in his post announcement interview on ESPN. I chalked it up to just wishful-thinking induced hearing resulting from my delirious state caused by his announcement.

I do agree with Channing, though: It would be smart for Giles. Giles would have access to some of the best sports medicine facilities in college sports and have the best sports medicine doctors a stone's throw away. I don't really see much of a downside.

Troublemaker
12-01-2015, 08:56 AM
This article (http://www.fayobserver.com/blogs/sports/acc_basketball/acc-basketball-harry-giles-to-finish-high-school-closer-to/article_337ce2cc-952e-11e5-98fe-132be3e9768c.html) is a few days old, but I hadn't seen it posted yet. (Apologies if wrong about that.)

Harry's going to transfer back home and take online courses to finish high school while rehabbing.

It makes sense. He'll be closer to his doctors and rehab professionals. He can't play basketball this season, but he can start preparing for and building relationships for his freshman season at Duke. That means, starting in January, unofficial visits to Duke during allowed periods, sitting close to the bench during Duke games, intently listening in and rooting hard for future teammates.

Dev11
12-01-2015, 11:49 AM
This article (http://www.fayobserver.com/blogs/sports/acc_basketball/acc-basketball-harry-giles-to-finish-high-school-closer-to/article_337ce2cc-952e-11e5-98fe-132be3e9768c.html) is a few days old, but I hadn't seen it posted yet. (Apologies if wrong about that.)

Harry's going to transfer back home and take online courses to finish high school while rehabbing.

It makes sense. He'll be closer to his doctors and rehab professionals. He can't play basketball this season, but he can start preparing for and building relationships for his freshman season at Duke. That means, starting in January, unofficial visits to Duke during allowed periods, sitting close to the bench during Duke games, intently listening in and rooting hard for future teammates.

Thanks for the article. I wonder how much time he is allowed to spend at Duke doing rehab activities, and how the NCAA would separate the rehab time from the visit times. Since he's injured and couldn't practice with the team, I doubt anybody makes a big stink about it, but by the end of the season, he should be healthy enough to be playing pickup.

Indoor66
12-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the article. I wonder how much time he is allowed to spend at Duke doing rehab activities, and how the NCAA would separate the rehab time from the visit times. Since he's injured and couldn't practice with the team, I doubt anybody makes a big stink about it, but by the end of the season, he should be healthy enough to be playing pickup.

Good luck on the highlighted portion. Check out the thread about Giles on Inside Carolina (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=14328726)!

flyingdutchdevil
12-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Good luck on the highlighted portion. Check out the thread about Giles on Inside Carolina (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=14328726)!

If the Wolfpack wrote that, I'd get it. If WF wrote that, I'd get it. Hell, if Maryland wrote that, I'd get it.

But UNC? Calling Coach K a cheat and talking about standards and ideals? Really??? When you have this @#$% in your own backyard!?!?!!?!?!?!? Come on...

I hope that Duke never experiences a scandal half as bad as UNC's. But, if we do, I'd hope our fans face facts and condemn the sport/institution.

MarkD83
12-01-2015, 12:45 PM
If the Wolfpack wrote that, I'd get it. If WF wrote that, I'd get it. Hell, if Maryland wrote that, I'd get it.

But UNC? Calling Coach K a cheat and talking about standards and ideals? Really??? When you have this @#$% in your own backyard!?!?!!?!?!?!? Come on...

I hope that Duke never experiences a scandal half as bad as UNC's. But, if we do, I'd hope our fans face facts and condemn the sport/institution.

I understand it perfectly. Some of the latest emails that have been released by UNC indicate that the athletic department works with IC to develop content. This is not allowed by the NCAA, but UNC is using IC as an extension of their PR campaign.

It would not surprise me if Roy asked folks to start the IC thread.

CrazyNotCrazie
12-01-2015, 12:55 PM

I am always skeptical of kids who transfer mid-year to questionable, non-traditional schools - I thought this was something the UNLV's of the world encouraged kids to do. I understand Harry has a good reason for doing so given his injury, but I really hope that Duke has helped him vet this move and this school to make sure that this school is legit and all of his academic work will count. I know we are all concerned primarily about his basketball playing future and I'm guessing it would be very difficult for him to rehab his injury in the middle of nowhere, but leaving a school in the middle of the year to finish up online is likely not in his academic best interest.

devildeac
12-01-2015, 12:56 PM

I don't know whether to laugh hysterically or cry pitifully for those imbeciles over there. SMH.

jipops
12-01-2015, 01:02 PM

In any case, I don't get the assertion at all by the local hypocrites. What exactly is "shady" here? These types of programs are offered all over. A simple google search turned this up...
http://www.apexlearningvs.com/courses/initial-credit/ncaa, as well as the one Giles is enrolling... http://www.foresttrailacademy.com/

kAzE
12-01-2015, 01:10 PM
I see this as nothing more than bitter rivals trying to dig up dirt where there is none. Looking forward to a fully healthy and academically eligible Harry dominating all of them next year.

oldnavy
12-01-2015, 01:14 PM
I don't know whether to laugh hysterically or cry pitifully for those imbeciles over there. SMH.

They are in la-la land.... it really is a study in abnormal Psych just waiting to happen....

Any Clinical Psychologist' or Psychiatrist's out there that need research material???

IC is a gold mine of seriously disturbed nuggets!

Henderson
12-01-2015, 01:57 PM
IC is a gold mine of seriously disturbed nuggets!

I have IC among my bookmarks. But it's under "Entertainment" with Get Fuzzy, The Adventures of Peabody and Sherman, Cat Videos on YouTube, and Donald Trump. It's not under "Sports." When a person needs a laugh, he needs some bookmarks in a single location that are so ridiculous that they make him laugh.

Troublemaker
12-01-2015, 02:32 PM
I understand Harry has a good reason for doing so given his injury, but I really hope that Duke has helped him vet this move and this school to make sure that this school is legit and all of his academic work will count.

Oh, I would be shocked if Duke didn't vet it beforehand. No reason to think we didn't.

I know we are all concerned primarily about his basketball playing future and I'm guessing it would be very difficult for him to rehab his injury in the middle of nowhere, but leaving a school in the middle of the year to finish up online is likely not in his academic best interest.

The most important field of study in Harry's life is Basketball. I think that's the best way of looking at it. Last month, Harry committed to learn under a legendary professor in that field (Coach K). Now Harry's being extra studious by moving back home to gain easier access to his homework (rehab) and teaching assistants (rehab therapists) and to build rapport with his legendary professor and future classmates by attending their labs (games) and listening in on lectures (sideline and locker room coaching). He can't participate in labs yet but he can learn some of the terminology and theory behind them (offensive and defensive sets, and how to communicate on the court) in preparation for next year when he WILL be participating in those labs and lectures.

None of this should be a surprise. I believe in one of these threads, I predicted that he would move home. It's not just that he'll be closer to his rehab and doctors, but it's that staying at Oak Hill for another 6 months while sidelined would be a complete waste of his time. Harry has a chance to become a multimillionaire in June of 2017. Every decision he and his family make from here on out is to maximize those chances. If he had been healthy, then playing and developing in games against Oak Hill's tough schedule of opponents would be the maximizing move. But unfortunately he got injured, so now, moving closer to his doctors, rehab therapists, and future coach and teammates was the maximizing move.

CameronBornAndBred
12-01-2015, 02:48 PM
The most important field of study in Harry's life is Basketball. I think that's the best way of looking at it.
I would beg to differ. The kid just suffered a season ending injury and he's not out of high school yet. It can just as easily happen again as soon as he steps back on the court. Early injuries are often a sign of future trouble. (Greg Oden comes to mind.)

Merlindevildog91
12-01-2015, 03:08 PM
I am curious as to whether Oak Hill MILITARY ACADEMY has a physical education component that he would not do on his knee, and that played into his transfer as well.

It's probably apples and oranges, but I have two friends who were injured while attending Virginia Military Institute and one friend who was injured at the Naval Academy, and transferred out due to their injuries.

tbyers11
12-01-2015, 03:18 PM
I am curious as to whether Oak Hill MILITARY ACADEMY has a physical education component that he would not do on his knee, and that played into his transfer as well.

It's probably apples and oranges, but I have two friends who were injured while attending Virginia Military Institute and one friend who was injured at the Naval Academy, and transferred out due to their injuries.

I'm pretty sure that Oak Hill is not a military academy. So apples and oranges.

CameronBornAndBred
12-01-2015, 03:25 PM

Mdd must have been thinking of Oak Ridge, which also has a basketball team, and hasn't won a game this year.
https://www.oakridgemilitary.com/

Indoor66
12-01-2015, 04:11 PM

It may not be today but in the 1990's it was a military acadamy.

Ichabod Drain
12-01-2015, 04:20 PM

I don't think so, unless this has an underlying joke or something I'm missing (which has been known to happen.)

tbyers11
12-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Mdd must have been thinking of Oak Ridge, which also has a basketball team, and hasn't won a game this year.
https://www.oakridgemilitary.com/

Indoor66,

Perhaps you are also confusing Oak Hill with the school that CB&B mentioned above.

Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, VA has never been a military academy according to their website (http://oak-hill.net/history/)

DavidBenAkiva
03-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Harry Giles gave an update in his USA Today blog. Some interesting nuggets:

He's going to be in the Nike Hoops Summit in April, although it is not clear if he will be playing at all.
Giles was named as a Jordan Brand All-Star even thought he won't play in the game.
Giles has been helping to recruit Marques Bolden still.
He will be fully ready to play for Duke next year. He says his current rehab is going better than the first time, FWIW.

Being a part of the Nike Hoops Summit is big. It might include his fellow teammates Jayson Tatum, Frank Jackson, and maybe Marques Bolden. It's also encouraging to hear that he expects to be ready to go at Duke this summer. I'm looking forward to seeing him suit it up for Duke.

Link (http://usatodayhss.com/2016/the-harry-giles-iii-blog-rehabbing-his-knee-dukes-chances-dicks-nationals-harry-giles-duke-oak-hill-academy)

Henderson
03-23-2016, 12:15 PM
Harry Giles gave an update in his USA Today blog. Some interesting nuggets:

He's going to be in the Nike Hoops Summit in April, although it is not clear if he will be playing at all.
Giles was named as a Jordan Brand All-Star even thought he won't play in the game.
Giles has been helping to recruit Marques Bolden still.
He will be fully ready to play for Duke next year. He says his current rehab is going better than the first time, FWIW.

Being a part of the Nike Hoops Summit is big. It might include his fellow teammates Jayson Tatum, Frank Jackson, and maybe Marques Bolden. It's also encouraging to hear that he expects to be ready to go at Duke this summer. I'm looking forward to seeing him suit it up for Duke.

Link (http://usatodayhss.com/2016/the-harry-giles-iii-blog-rehabbing-his-knee-dukes-chances-dicks-nationals-harry-giles-duke-oak-hill-academy)

Thanks for the update and the link. Good stuff. Couple minor quibbles: (1) His blog doesn't say he'll be ready to go this summer; just that he'll be ready to go next season. (2) It's the "Nike Hoop Summit" not the "Nike Hoops Summit." I don't know why we native Oregonians care, but we do.

It's like "Ora-gahn" and "Ne-vahda" and "Colo-rahdo" and "University of North Carolina" and "Derryck Thorton."

Doria
03-23-2016, 12:18 PM
I took that to mean he'd be physically at Duke this summer, since Giles writes that he's finishing up his courses now? Anyway, sounds like a nice kid and certainly enthusiastic.

COYS
03-23-2016, 01:30 PM
It's like "Ora-gahn" and "Ne-vahda" and "Colo-rahdo" and "University of North Carolina" and "Derryck Thorton."

Can't spork you, but this needs to be commended!

JNort
03-23-2016, 02:01 PM
I would beg to differ. The kid just suffered a season ending injury and he's not out of high school yet. It can just as easily happen again as soon as he steps back on the court. Early injuries are often a sign of future trouble. (Greg Oden comes to mind.)

Yeah but Oden made millions "playing" basketball and was the number one pick. It won't matter if he blows his knee his first week at Duke, he will be a top 10 pick

kAzE
03-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Yeah but Oden made millions "playing" basketball and was the number one pick. It won't matter if he blows his knee his first week at Duke, he will be a top 10 pick

3rd knee surgery in 5 years? 2 of them within the first week of the season? He won't be drafted in the first round, if at all. Nobody is making that mistake again, no matter how promising a prospect looks on paper. I really hope you knocked on wood.

JNort
03-23-2016, 04:58 PM
3rd knee surgery in 5 years? 2 of them within the first week of the season? He won't be drafted in the first round, if at all. Nobody is making that mistake again, no matter how promising a prospect looks on paper. I really hope you knocked on wood.

I disagree. Hopefully we won't have to test that though.

plimnko
03-23-2016, 05:14 PM

i hope he stays all 4 years and proves his knees are worthy of a number one pick. now who's dreaming? lol

dukelifer
03-23-2016, 05:40 PM

I agree but somebody will give him a contract of some sort. Some players are prone to injuries.