PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Basketball - 2016 edition

-jk
11-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Ouch! St John's goes down, 90-58 (http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2015/11/4/9672216/st-johns-beat-down-by-st-thomas-aquinas-90-58), to a D2 team.

-jk

Tappan Zee Devil
11-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Ouch! St John's goes down, 90-58 (http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2015/11/4/9672216/st-johns-beat-down-by-st-thomas-aquinas-90-58), to a D2 team.

-jk

Hey - St. Thomas Aquinas is our local college - about a mile down the road. They are a small Catholic school (actually share their campus with a Dominican convent) specializing in teacher training, particularly Special Ed and Early Childhood Ed.
They also have a decent (not great, but decent) D-II basketball team. And they do have some history - made the NAIA national tournament every year from 1983 to 1988, making the final four in 1986 and Elite Eight in 1984 and 1988.

One interesting story - Back in 1991 or 1992, my son and Bill Murray's son, Homer, were on the same CYO team (both were very tall and, at that point, somewhat uncoordinated kids). The local CYO season-end tournament was in the STAC gym. Bill Murray came - in a turtleneck sweater and a cap pulled down low, siting at the very end of the upper row of seats. During one of the games, a team of sub-teen age girls recognized him, stopped playing and stood on the court, pointing and gawking. He stood up, took off his cap and said, "OK, I am here. Take a picture if you have a camera (this was pre-cell phone) and now let's play ball." He then sat down and pulled the cap back over his face.

Neals384
11-05-2015, 08:55 PM
Chris may need to borrow from the UNC encyclopedia of excuses: "It's just an exhibition. We were more focused on seeing how our O and D schemes work, getting the W didn't matter. Some of our guys weren't available."

camion
11-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Chris may need to borrow from the UNC encyclopedia of excuses: "It's just an exhibition. We were more focused on seeing how our O and D schemes work, getting the W didn't matter. Some of our guys weren't available."

"The sun was in our eyes."

Wander
11-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Clemson taken to double overtime by a Division 2 opponent. Boston College also struggled with theirs. Yay ACC.

jimsumner
11-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Clemson taken to double overtime by a Division 2 opponent. Boston College also struggled with theirs. Yay ACC.

Football school. Hockey school.

CDu
11-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Football school. Hockey school.

It's amazing how bad some of the teams in the ACC are going to be. The tech schools, BC, Clemson, Miami, and Wake should all be quite bad. Not sure what Syracuse or Notre Dame or Pitt or Louisville will look like. FSU will probably be gritty but lacking in skill. A whole lot of "eh" or worse in the conference this year. I mean, good for us in terms of not losing many games. But it's amazing how down the conference depth appears to be, even after adding so many schools. Looks like the old guard is going to have to carry the conference.

Wander
11-06-2015, 12:56 PM
It's amazing how bad some of the teams in the ACC are going to be. The tech schools, BC, Clemson, Miami, and Wake should all be quite bad. Not sure what Syracuse or Notre Dame or Pitt or Louisville will look like. FSU will probably be gritty but lacking in skill. A whole lot of "eh" or worse in the conference this year. I mean, good for us in terms of not losing many games. But it's amazing how down the conference depth appears to be, even after adding so many schools. Looks like the old guard is going to have to carry the conference.

I agree with the general statement, but not Miami. They return their top four players from a season where they had a winning record in the ACC and have a good coach. They should be a tournament team.

Olympic Fan
11-06-2015, 01:04 PM

Wander is right about Miami -- they are going to be quite good. So will Notre Dame. Pitt has a chance to be good.

Almost agree about the rest -- the two Techs will be better than last year, but still not that good. Clemson should be about the same as last year -- good coach, good defense, not enough offense -- and that wasn't good enough for the NIT. Wake should also be about the same -- they are dangerous with two senior standouts, but not enough talent.

Agree that Syracuse and Louisville are mystery schools.

The only one that I would describe as "quite bad" is Boston College. They are going to be terrible -- worst than last year.

But as a whole, the ACC will be very strong and very deep -- Virginia, Duke and UNC are national contenders ... Notre Dame, FSU and Miami will be top 25 teams at some point -- Louisville and Syracuse, while uncertain, have a chance to be good ... and don't sleep on NC State or Pitt.

CDu
11-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Wander is right about Miami -- they are going to be quite good. So will Notre Dame. Pitt has a chance to be good.

Almost agree about the rest -- the two Techs will be better than last year, but still not that good. Clemson should be about the same as last year -- good coach, good defense, not enough offense -- and that wasn't good enough for the NIT. Wake should also be about the same -- they are dangerous with two senior standouts, but not enough talent.

Agree that Syracuse and Louisville are mystery schools.

The only one that I would describe as "quite bad" is Boston College. They are going to be terrible -- worst than last year.

But as a whole, the ACC will be very strong and very deep -- Virginia, Duke and UNC are national contenders ... Notre Dame, FSU and Miami will be top 25 teams at some point -- Louisville and Syracuse, while uncertain, have a chance to be good ... and don't sleep on NC State or Pitt.

Curious as to what makes you confident that ND will be good. They lost Grant and Connaughton. The prior year without Grant (and with a better PG than Jackson) they were awful. Jackson and Auguste were nice tertiary threats, but Grant and Connaughton made that team go.

I don't see FSU or ND as top-25 - at least not clearly so. I see a bunch of teams (Wake, the Techs, and BC) likely to be outside the top-100. I see a few others (ND, FSU, Pitt, Clemson) that may struggle to get inside the top-100. Who knows about UL or the Cuse? Miami may be decent and State should maybe be better than last year (though they lost Lacey, which hurts). I mean, someone is going to get an inflated record on all those bad teams. But I really only see three good teams and three or four decent teams, with a few unknowns.