PDA

View Full Version : Harry Giles announcement and injury collector thread

Steven43
11-04-2015, 04:24 PM
According to Steve Smith, coach of Oak Hill, Harry Giles will announce his college decision on November 12 at Turner Gymnasium rather than the original plan of November 14 in Winston-Salem. I don't think this is a good sign for Wake.

wilko
11-04-2015, 04:38 PM
According to Steve Smith, coach of Oak Hill, Harry Giles will announce his college decision on November 12 at Turner Gymnasium rather than the original plan of November 14 in Winston-Salem. I don't think this is a good sign for Wake.

Not sure its a sign of anything.... unless he changed the venue to Cameron Indoor..

jimsumner
11-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Are you sure it's not Tuesday the 12th?

Olympic Fan
11-04-2015, 05:02 PM

But visit a Kentucky board -- they are sure this means that they will get Giles.

jimsumner
11-04-2015, 05:20 PM
But visit a Kentucky board -- they are sure this means that they will get Giles.

Visit a Kentucky board? Why? Did I do something wrong? Am I being punished? I thought I paid all those overdue library fines.

Can I do community service instead?

MChambers
11-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Are you sure it's not Tuesday the 12th?

The 12th isn't a Tuesday. (Also, Friday the 13th comes on a Friday this month.)

BigWayne
11-04-2015, 06:08 PM
12th is next Thursday. BTW - Oak Hill travels on Friday/Saturday to play in a tournament at Forsyth Country Day, about 10 miles west of WFU.
Their games both days are at 7:30 in the evening.

rolm
11-04-2015, 06:12 PM
See this as a good omen. The 12th is the beginning of a new year on the Hindu Calendar (day after Diwali). Surely, it will bring good news :)

-bdbd
11-04-2015, 06:52 PM
See this as a good omen. The 12th is the beginning of a new year on the Hindu Calendar (day after Diwali). Surely, it will bring good news :)

I can say with absolute certainty that it will be GOOD NEWS.

The only tricky part is for whom?

;)

jimsumner
11-04-2015, 10:30 PM
Male that the 10th. Next Tuesday. That seems to be the current time line.

But it's changed before.

But it shouldn't be long.

Faison1
11-04-2015, 11:14 PM
Male that the 10th. Next Tuesday. That seems to be the current time line.

Jim, please don't tell me you're using an iPad...a newspaper guy should never suffer from auto-correct syndrome

gurufrisbee
11-05-2015, 12:15 AM
That's my mom's birthday. Come on Harry! Bring us a gift!

OldPhiKap
11-05-2015, 06:46 AM
November 10 is the next Republican presidential primary.

Kentucky just went Republican.

I don't like the dots that are connecting up here. . . .

BlueTeuf
11-05-2015, 07:18 AM
Nov 10th; also the 240th birthday of the US Marine Corps.

If Duke can lead with beer and Samuel Nicholas, history will be on our side.

Henderson
11-05-2015, 08:18 AM

Somewhere in Kentucky, a guy is getting a Harry Giles tattoo.

jimsumner
11-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Jim, please don't tell me you're using an iPad...a newspaper guy should never suffer from auto-correct syndrome

Nah. More like a post from a guy who just got home and found out that his U-Verse receiver was acting up (again) and couldn't access anything that had been recorded.

And I hate it when that happens. Grrr.

But yes, I loath autocorrect on my phone. Some of its choices are just baffling.

Indoor66
11-05-2015, 10:28 AM
Nah. More like a post from a guy who just got home and found out that his U-Verse receiver was acting up (again) and couldn't access anything that had been recorded.

And I hate it when that happens. Grrr.

But yes, I loath autocorrect on my phone. Some of its choices are just baffling.

Try typing VW for a Volkswagen and see what you get!:mad:

flyingdutchdevil
11-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Super confused. Is it the 10th or the 12th? If the 10th, is there a link?

jimsumner
11-05-2015, 10:40 AM
His high-school coach tweeted that Giles would announce next Tuesday at Oak Hill, as opposed to the November 14 in Winston-Salem tentative announcement time projected earlier.

I assume he knows what he's talking about.

Ichabod Drain
11-05-2015, 10:51 AM
His high-school coach tweeted that Giles would announce next Tuesday at Oak Hill, as opposed to the November 14 in Winston-Salem tentative announcement time projected earlier.

I assume he knows what he's talking about.

Coach Smith has since deleted that tweet. Either way we can assume it's coming next week.

Troublemaker
11-05-2015, 10:57 AM
The Sports Director of a Winston-Salem based radio network is using unnamed sources to tweet that Giles is out for the season: https://twitter.com/ESPNTriad

Hopefully the info is wrong, Giles is healthy, and this outfit has to retract.

bluedev_92
11-05-2015, 11:18 AM
The Sports Director of a Winston-Salem based radio network is using unnamed sources to tweet that Giles is out for the season: https://twitter.com/ESPNTriad

Seth Greenberg tweeted that he will need ACL Surgery a few minutes ago...

superdave
11-05-2015, 11:20 AM

Seth Greenberg tweeted that he will need ACL Surgery a few minutes ago...

Terrible news. You have to feel back for a young kid going through this. Hopefully he takes his time to do the rehab right and bounces back.

Troublemaker
11-05-2015, 11:22 AM
Evan Daniels, too:

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/662302676911304704)
Unfortunately the news leaking out regarding Harry Giles, Scout's No. 1 recruit, partially tearing his other ACL is true, per sources.

Poor kid. It's a different knee this time -- right knee this time, left knee last time.

Hopefully his recovery and rehab goes well.

OldPhiKap
11-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Not sure if we have ever had a pre-commitment vigil for a player, but this may be the time to do so.

If Harry is indeed injured, I hope for a full and quick recovery.

Tommac
11-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Looks like an ACL tear. http://www.aseaofblue.com/2015/11/5/9671550/harry-giles-tears-acl-per-report

ChillinDuke
11-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Oh, man.

That really stinks.

Here's hoping he exhibits a full recovery.

At Duke.

- Chillin

SuperTurkey
11-05-2015, 11:36 AM
That just sucks. It's a rough injury, but here's hoping he makes a full recovery and dominates at wherever he enrolls in a year.

budwom
11-05-2015, 12:08 PM
out for year, surgery at Duke, commitment (to duke?) tomorrow. Tough break but should be good to go next Fall.

wilson
11-05-2015, 12:12 PM
out for year, surgery at Duke, commitment (to duke?) tomorrow. Tough break but should be good to go next Fall.Where are you getting this bolded information? Do you have a link?

Class of '94
11-05-2015, 12:12 PM
out for year, surgery at Duke, commitment (to duke?) tomorrow. Tough break but should be good to go next Fall.

Just to clarify, are the comments concerning "surgery at Duke, commitment tomorrow" all true and are actually going to happen; or are these comments things you would like and hope to see happen?

Bluedevil114
11-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Just to clarify, are the comments concerning "surgery at Duke, commitment tomorrow" all true and are actually going to happen; or are these comments things you would like and hope to see happen?

Adam Zagoria is reporting he will announce tomorrow with the reports he is out for the season.

Kathy S
11-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Link to story here.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25364143/no-1-high-school-prospect-harry-giles-tears-acl-season-over

bluedev_92
11-05-2015, 12:19 PM

I noticed a tweet from Adam Zagoria stating that "source says Harry Giles will "most likely" announce tomorrow"...

wk2109
11-05-2015, 12:20 PM

According to Paul Biancardi's article on ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/14058464/no-1-ranked-recruit-harry-giles-tears-acl), "Giles Jr., said his son still plans to announce his decision on what school he'll attend, on Friday from Oak Hill Academy (Virginia) at noon ET on SportsCenter." I haven't seen anything about where Giles will have his surgery, but there's at least one source saying he's announcing "Friday" (which might mean tomorrow, I don't know).

CDu
11-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Yikes. That's awful news. Hopefully he gets good medical care. It's a shame for anyone to tear an ACL (having gone through it myself, it stinks). But it's especially a shame for a high school senior. Had it happened at Duke (where he'd get covered by the University), he'd be getting the best care possible. Just have to hope that he has good enough medical insurance and access to good enough surgeons to allow for a full and speedy recovery.

Troublemaker
11-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Where are you getting this bolded information? Do you have a link?

I can only comment on the "surgery at Duke" part. No confirmation, but it would be surprising if he did it anywhere else because Duke is where his previous surgery was performed (http://www.dukechronicle.com/blog/blue-zone/2013/07/class-2016-standout-harry-giles-undergoes-reconstructive-knee-surgery).

CDu
11-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Edit thereafter: looks like he'll get the surgery performed at Duke (presumably with T Moorman, who did wonders with my knee). So that's good. Hopefully he joins us next year, too!

CDu
11-05-2015, 12:25 PM
I can only comment on the "surgery at Duke" part. No confirmation, but it would be surprising if he did it anywhere else because Duke is where his previous surgery was performed (http://www.dukechronicle.com/blog/blue-zone/2013/07/class-2016-standout-harry-giles-undergoes-reconstructive-knee-surgery).

Wow, I hadn't realized that he has already had a major knee surgery. That's concerning.

bluedev_92
11-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Wow, I hadn't realized that he has already had a major knee surgery. That's concerning.

Other knee, but he seemed to bounce back from that quite well..

budwom
11-05-2015, 12:34 PM
bad break for Harry, but he should be good to go next Fall. People at Duke confident he declares for the good guys tomorrow.
Maybe pre- anaesthesia?

gam7
11-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Giles and Dennis Smith both with torn ACLs? I think this "package deal" trend has officially gone too far.

Of course, best of luck to both (and particularly Giles) in their recovery...

CDu
11-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Other knee, but he seemed to bounce back from that quite well..

Glad to hear that it is the other knee. Going to Duke (who have excellent trainers and would certainly work on his hamstrings and supporting muscles that most likely weren't strong enough) would help him going forward. ;)

bluedev_92
11-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Glad to hear that it is the other knee. Going to Duke (who have excellent trainers and would certainly work on his hamstrings and supporting muscles that most likely weren't strong enough) would help him going forward. ;)

True - I like that positive thought process!
Perhaps Duke Med. is also secretly working on a bionic knee & now is the time to test it out :)

TKG
11-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Edit thereafter: looks like he'll get the surgery performed at Duke (presumably with T Moorman, who did wonders with my knee). So that's good. Hopefully he joins us next year, too!

Are there any potential recruiting violations associated with the head of Duke Sports Medicine performing the surgery? It strikes me as silly to even ask but given the things the NCAA chooses to focus on - and things it does not - just wondering.

SupaDave
11-05-2015, 12:59 PM
Are there any potential recruiting violations associated with the head of Duke Sports Medicine performing the surgery? It strikes me as silly to even ask but given the things the NCAA chooses to focus on - and things it does not - just wondering.

Not unless K performs the surgery... :)

Ichabod Drain
11-05-2015, 01:08 PM

Also said it was only a partial tear, not a full blown ACL, MCL, meniscus like his other knee was.

kAzE
11-05-2015, 01:12 PM
Wow, again?? I thought this might have been an old thread dug up from his first ACL tear . . . that's brutal. 2 whole years of high school basketball and development down the drain. Get well soon, young man.

Rich
11-05-2015, 01:29 PM
According to Paul Biancardi's article on ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/14058464/no-1-ranked-recruit-harry-giles-tears-acl), "Giles Jr., said his son still plans to announce his decision on what school he'll attend, on Friday from Oak Hill Academy (Virginia) at noon ET on SportsCenter." I haven't seen anything about where Giles will have his surgery, but there's at least one source saying he's announcing "Friday" (which might mean tomorrow, I don't know).

Sign of the apocolypse: Giles will announce tomorrow where he's going to school AND have a separate press conference on where he's having his surgery. :rolleyes:

devildeac
11-05-2015, 01:31 PM

Tweet!!

NCAA violation/recruiting advantage.

(kidding, kidding but one never knows what the haters are gonna claim:rolleyes:)

Henderson
11-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Not unless K performs the surgery... :)

Hey, as long as K offers his ACL surgical skills to every Duke student....

Billy Dat
11-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Rob Dauster asks if HG should skip college and sit out until he is NBA draft eligible? Provocative ?
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2015/11/05/top-2016-prospect-tears-acl-again-should-he-consider-skipping-college/

mr. synellinden
11-05-2015, 01:37 PM
Same knee as before or the other? Either way, very sorry to hear this news and wish him the best and as speedy a recovery as possible. It's a devastating injury and for it to happen in the first minutes of the first game of his senior season after having gone through it before seems just so unfair. The only silver lining in this perhaps is that he should have enough time to recover for the start of the college season next year.

Troublemaker
11-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Rob Dauster asks if HG should skip college and sit out until he is NBA draft eligible? Provocative ?
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2015/11/05/top-2016-prospect-tears-acl-again-should-he-consider-skipping-college/

Seems silly. GMs are going to want to see him play against college competition and show that he can go the entire season healthy.

Henderson
11-05-2015, 01:38 PM

It could be a good option if his injury precludes his playing next season anyway. But if he can play next season and showcase his skills (and demonstrate his ACL recovery), he'd be wise not to sit I think. In any event, I wish him well. Tough thing to happen to a kid.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Tough news - I hope he recovers fully, regardless of where he chooses to go to school. I also feel bad for him that he likely chose to go to Oak Hill primarily for basketball, and will now be trying to rehab a serious injury away from home at a school he likely would not have attended if not for playing basketball (assuming he doesn't transfer back mid-year).

Steven43
11-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Does this injury mean that Giles will have to sit out what would be his freshman year of college? Not only is there uncertainty of whether or not he will choose Duke, but now there is a significant possibility that even if he were to choose Duke he will not be able to contribute on the court until the 2017-2018 season. And if that is the case, isn't there the very real possibility that he will decide to forego college altogether while rehabbing from the injury and make himself available for either the 2016 or 2017 NBA draft? Joel Embiid was the third overall pick in the draft while injured. Nerlens Noel was the sixth overall pick while injured. Harry Giles would likely be a top ten draft pick even if he never plays a minute of college ball. I think his college career is over before it even started.

So what does this mean for Duke? Which potencial recruits are still available that could step in and help fill the void left by Giles for the 2016-2017 season? Does this dramatically alter Duke's approach to recruiting for the class of 2016?

Troublemaker
11-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Nah, we're over a year away from Game 1 of the 2016-17 season.

He has plenty of time.

He'll probably be ready for full activity this upcoming summer.

stevoflurane
11-05-2015, 01:55 PM
On a related note, Giles is announcing tomorrow, per Jeff Goodman's Twitter.

Does he enroll early???

Troublemaker
11-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Does he enroll early???

Not sure he has the credits, but an interesting possibility if he does.

Regardless, he's local. (I can't see him staying at Oak Hill).

So, on the plus side (looking hard for silver linings here), he might be showing up to a lot of Duke games this season. Build that chemistry early with future teammates.

Billy Dat
11-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Tough news - I hope he recovers fully, regardless of where he chooses to go to school. I also feel bad for him that he likely chose to go to Oak Hill primarily for basketball, and will now be trying to rehab a serious injury away from home at a school he likely would not have attended if not for playing basketball (assuming he doesn't transfer back mid-year).

Your comment reminds me of a recent post-game Blue Planet interview with Derryck Thornton where he was excited about playing in Cameron (well, of course, but...) because his high school "didn't really have fans". More specifically, Findlay Prep IS a basketball team that goes to school together and travels the country playing hoops. They not only don't have fans who are fellow students...there are no fellow students. Obviously, Oak Hill is bigger...150 students over 5 grades...but the kids are there to play ball and I don't know to what extent the players become part of the wider school community. Derryck seemed energized by that aspect, while these basketball factories can be safe havens for kids whose home neighborhoods might not be safe, they also give up a lot when they leave their communities. Hopefully being part of a college community outside of the intense demands on the court is something that still attracts certain kids - K always says that it is a big part of his pitch.

Kedsy
11-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Same knee as before or the other?

Apparently it's the other knee.

DavidBenAkiva
11-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Apparently it's the other knee.

According to multiple reports, like this one (http://usatodayhss.com/2015/harry-giles-no-1-recruit-in-class-of-2016-expected-to-miss-season-with-knee-injury), the injury was a partial tear of his right knee ACL. He previously tore his ACL, MCL, and meniscus of his left knee in 2013.

I feel so bad for the kid. He worked so hard to get healthy again after a major, major knee injury in 2013 and now he has another long recovery ahead of him. It appears to be a much less severe injury to his right knee, so I guess that's a silver lining. Here is to a full recovery!

Ichabod Drain
11-05-2015, 02:53 PM
According to multiple reports, like this one (http://usatodayhss.com/2015/harry-giles-no-1-recruit-in-class-of-2016-expected-to-miss-season-with-knee-injury), the injury was a partial tear of his right knee ACL. He previously tore his ACL, MCL, and meniscus of his left knee in 2013.

I feel so bad for the kid. He worked so hard to get healthy again after a major, major knee injury in 2013 and now he has another long recovery ahead of him. It appears to be a much less severe injury to his right knee, so I guess that's a silver lining. Here is to a full recovery!

It's pretty amazing that with such a major setback in his high school career (first blown knee) that he is still widely considered the top prospect in a very good class. Kid has tremendous skill and athleticism. Hope he picks Duke tomorrow but best of luck to him wherever he goes.

CDu
11-05-2015, 02:57 PM

Unfortunately, the recovery time and process is going to be similar. Even a partial tear of the ACL (which will require reconstruction) is going to take 6-9 months of rehab, which is about how long the other will take. The meniscus tear recovery is about a month, during which time he wouldn't have been doing much anyway (on crutches, no weight bearing with meniscus repair). The MCL should be good within 2-3 months anyway, too. It's really the ACL that takes the longest time to recover from, and unfortunately that is what he has ahead of him.

Definitely better that it is "just" the ACL, but still a really crappy thing to have to deal with.

Lar77
11-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Bad news for Harry. He recovered from his blown knee a couple of years ago, and this doesn't sound quite as serious. Wherever he goes, I wish him a full recovery.

Help me out, historians, didn't Quinn have a major injury his senior year?

MChambers
11-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Bad news for Harry. He recovered from his blown knee a couple of years ago, and this doesn't sound quite as serious. Wherever he goes, I wish him a full recovery.

Help me out, historians, didn't Quinn have a major injury his senior year?
Not this major, but yes, Quinn Cook (not Snyder) did have a knee injury his senior year.

tylervinyard
11-05-2015, 03:07 PM
So if he announces for Duke tomorrow, is there any possibility that Duke would be able to cover the costs of surgery and rehab? And does anyone know if he can come early next semester to do all the rehab at Duke?

budwom
11-05-2015, 03:12 PM
So if he announces for Duke tomorrow, is there any possibility that Duke would be able to cover the costs of surgery and rehab? And does anyone know if he can come early next semester to do all the rehab at Duke?

I think it's irrelevant as he had his last knee surgery at Duke and the bill got paid. But sure, IF he could enter Duke in January, that would be convenient...

gam7
11-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Not sure he has the credits, but an interesting possibility if he does.

Regardless, he's local. (I can't see him staying at Oak Hill).

So, on the plus side (looking hard for silver linings here), he might be showing up to a lot of Duke games this season. Build that chemistry early with future teammates.

The silver lining is that it happened now and not a year from now.

Class of '94
11-05-2015, 03:57 PM

I wrote this in the 2016 Recruiting thread; and thought I'd also put it here since what I am about to say is related to his announcement tomorrow.

Again. not claiming to be an insider or spread rumors (mods feel free to delete this post if deemed so), As I mentioned in the recruiting thread, I have WF friends that are very close to WF's MBB program; and they were very sure that Giles was going to Wake; and were even told Giles gave a silent verbal to Manning on his Official Visit to WF. However, things have changed and my Wake friends now agree that Giles is going to Duke. That being said, they were still adamant that prior to the Official Visit to Duke this past weekend, Giles was a Wake lean; however, the weekend events changed his mind. I don't know if it is true or not; but at least now they are in-line with what we all have been hearing and suspecting. Still nothing is guaranteed until we hear it from Giles' mouth tomorrow. Go Duke!!

Olympic Fan
11-05-2015, 04:14 PM
I wrote this in the 2016 Recruiting thread; and thought I'd also put it here since what I am about to say is related to his announcement tomorrow.

Again. not claiming to be an insider or spread rumors (mods feel free to delete this post if deemed so), As I mentioned in the recruiting thread, I have WF friends that are very close to WF's MBB program; and they were very sure that Giles was going to Wake; and were even told Giles gave a silent verbal to Manning on his Official Visit to WF. However, things have changed and my Wake friends now agree that Giles is going to Duke. That being said, they were still adamant that prior to the Official Visit to Duke this past weekend, Giles was a Wake lean; however, the weekend events changed his mind. I don't know if it is true or not; but at least now they are in-line with what we all have been hearing and suspecting. Still nothing is guaranteed until we hear it from Giles' mouth tomorrow. Go Duke!!

It's been fun reading the Wake boards about this. The scout board is very sedate and on the whole restrained. But on the whole, they expected to get Giles until last night.

The Old Gold and Black thread on Harry Giles is simply insane -- thousands and thousands of posts, many of them obscene ... most of them evidencing a Duke hatred that I've never seen at PackPride or even IC. They were VERY, VERY, VERY confident that they had Giles locked up until last night. When one of their insiders reported that he was not coming, they went into a incredibly violent meltdown -- half of them attacking the messenger, the rest spewing their hatred of Duke and K.

The Kentucky board I check (Rupp's Rafters) has also been fascinating to read. I admit that a majority of their posters have been conceding Giles to Duke for the last month or so, although the news that broke yesterday afternoon about moving the announcement to Oak Hill (from Winston-Salem) was taken as a sign that Cal had worked his magic and Giles would pick Kentucky. The real laugh was when the news that Giles was hurt broke -- a number of posters suggested that Calipari is so classy that he'll maintain his offer to Giles, but that K will pull his. Later, when the news that his operation would be at Duke broke on their boards, most posters conceded that K was not pulling his offer and that he would go to Duke, the new theme was "Well, we're lucky we didn't get him ... two ACLs, he's a fragile player."

Let me just say that while every Wake insider was convinced until the last few days that Giles was going to Wake, every source I have at Duke told me not to sweat it, he was coming to Duke. I will add that of the 27 "experts" who posted on 247's Crystal Ball before today, 26 predicted Giles to Duke, one to Wake and none to Kentucky. I'm sorry, the Wake fans can continue to delude themselves, but they were NEVER the frontrunners. I say this with confidence, although if Harry stuns us tomorrow and picks the Deacs, I'll be back to eat crow.

tylervinyard
11-05-2015, 04:17 PM
I think it's irrelevant as he had his last knee surgery at Duke and the bill got paid. But sure, IF he could enter Duke in January, that would be convenient...

Insurance changes, people's financial situations change, so I think it is relevant. It could actually be a real recruiting advantage.

MChambers
11-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Having had a couple of knee operations myself (one at Duke a long time ago, so long that the surgeon now has a drive at Duke named after him), my sympathies to Harry Giles. It's got to be very discouraging for him. He's lucky to play during a time when more and more players fully recover from these sorts of injuries, but it's still very tough. On the positive side, he knows he can recover from a knee injury and be stronger than ever.

Class of '94
11-05-2015, 04:32 PM
It's been fun reading the Wake boards about this. The scout board is very sedate and on the whole restrained. But on the whole, they expected to get Giles until last night.

The Old Gold and Black thread on Harry Giles is simply insane -- thousands and thousands of posts, many of them obscene ... most of them evidencing a Duke hatred that I've never seen at PackPride or even IC. They were VERY, VERY, VERY confident that they had Giles locked up until last night. When one of their insiders reported that he was not coming, they went into a incredibly violent meltdown -- half of them attacking the messenger, the rest spewing their hatred of Duke and K.

The Kentucky board I check (Rupp's Rafters) has also been fascinating to read. I admit that a majority of their posters have been conceding Giles to Duke for the last month or so, although the news that broke yesterday afternoon about moving the announcement to Oak Hill (from Winston-Salem) was taken as a sign that Cal had worked his magic and Giles would pick Kentucky. The real laugh was when the news that Giles was hurt broke -- a number of posters suggested that Calipari is so classy that he'll maintain his offer to Giles, but that K will pull his. Later, when the news that his operation would be at Duke broke on their boards, most posters conceded that K was not pulling his offer and that he would go to Duke, the new theme was "Well, we're lucky we didn't get him ... two ACLs, he's a fragile player."

Let me just say that while every Wake insider was convinced until the last few days that Giles was going to Wake, every source I have at Duke told me not to sweat it, he was coming to Duke. I will add that of the 27 "experts" who posted on 247's Crystal Ball before today, 26 predicted Giles to Duke, one to Wake and none to Kentucky. I'm sorry, the Wake fans can continue to delude themselves, but they were NEVER the frontrunners. I say this with confidence, although if Harry stuns us tomorrow and picks the Deacs, I'll be back to eat crow.

I think the reality of Giles to Duke finally hit my WF friends when they were told Giles supposedly phoned Manning within the last day or so that he wasn't going to Wake. Again, nothing is concrete until he officially announces tomorrow; but let's just say I had some fun this morning talking trash to them. It really made my day. To your point about the Duke insiders, I told my friends that the next time Wake is in competition for a recruit with Duke, they should check-out DBR and Duke sites like Blue Devil Lair if they want to get "accurate" information about that recruit and where he stands. :)

gam7
11-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately, the recovery time and process is going to be similar. Even a partial tear of the ACL (which will require reconstruction) is going to take 6-9 months of rehab, which is about how long the other will take. The meniscus tear recovery is about a month, during which time he wouldn't have been doing much anyway (on crutches, no weight bearing with meniscus repair). The MCL should be good within 2-3 months anyway, too. It's really the ACL that takes the longest time to recover from, and unfortunately that is what he has ahead of him.

Definitely better that it is "just" the ACL, but still a really crappy thing to have to deal with.

And if past is prologue with Harry specifically, his timeline from the prior injury will be of interest. Here is what I was able to gather from a quick google search:

Date Event
6/12/2013 Injury at FIBA tournament vs. Argentina.
7/24/2013 Surgery.
4/1/2014* Cleared to resume basketball activities.
7/16/2014 Peach Jam play-in game (21 pts., 15 rebs.)
4/10/2015* Knee brace removed during AAU season.

* Dates are approximate.

Based on this, and assuming recovery from his current injury is no longer in duration than his last one, I'd expect him to be cleared for basketball activities about 8 months after surgery (or around mid-late July 2016 if his surgery is within the next couple of weeks). I wouldn't be surprised to see him wearing a knee brace most or all of the 2016-17 season, which may limit him a bit physically.

Pghdukie
11-05-2015, 06:28 PM
All Hi-Schools, prep schools, etc, are required to carry insurance policies for participating students. If HG was hurt while playing in a school sponsored function - he should be covered.

subzero02
11-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Does this injury mean that Giles will have to sit out what would be his freshman year of college? Not only is there uncertainty of whether or not he will choose Duke, but now there is a significant possibility that even if he were to choose Duke he will not be able to contribute on the court until the 2017-2018 season.

The recovery time from an acl injury is typically less than a year. Jabari Parker tore his acl last season and played his first game of the season last night; his injury occurred on December the 15th 2014. If Harry Giles had suffered this injury in 1985 instead of 2015, a return to the court in time for next season would be a major concern. Sports medicine has improved quite a bit in the last 30 years however.

subzero02
11-05-2015, 07:32 PM
I think the reality of Giles to Duke finally hit my WF friends when they were told Giles supposedly phoned Manning within the last day or so that he wasn't going to Wake. Again, nothing is concrete until he officially announces tomorrow; but let's just say I had some fun this morning talking trash to them. It really made my day. To your point about the Duke insiders, I told my friends that the next time Wake is in competition for a recruit with Duke, they should check-out DBR and Duke sites like Blue Devil Lair if they want to get "accurate" information about that recruit and where he stands. :)

I am concerned that calipari was at the game when the injury occurred. I don't want him to go to kentucky, he seems like a good kid.

BD80
11-05-2015, 07:38 PM
I am concerned that calipari was at the game when the injury occurred. I don't want him to go to kentucky, he seems like a good kid.

You're not saying that calipari found out Harry was choosing Duke and had something to do with the injury?

Such notions have a tendency to take on a life of their own on the internet.

Duke95
11-05-2015, 07:54 PM
Good grief people. Wake wasn't going to get Giles. You think he's going to risk not making the tournament and get triple-teamed every night while being coached by a relative nobody, when the GOAT and his best friend are an hour away? Seriously, now.

This recruitment has been over for months.

Giles is coming to Duke. And he and Tatum are going to dominate.

Skitzle
11-06-2015, 02:50 AM
Good grief people. Wake wasn't going to get Giles. You think he's going to risk not making the tournament and get triple-teamed every night while being coached by a relative nobody, when the GOAT and his best friend are an hour away? Seriously, now.

After your stance with Ingram, your confidence in Giles scares me :)

I went back and looked over the Ingram recruiting thread, sumner made this point

"But the trend lines do look good for Duke. My understanding is that Ingram wanted two questions answered. Would Winslow go pro and would Duke have a quality point guard next season? Both have been answered in the affirmative. "

The best part is that PG is not our starting PG...

BD80
11-06-2015, 07:41 AM
Has there been an announcement?

Of the time of the announcement?

Duke95
11-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Has there been an announcement?

Of the time of the announcement?

Noon eastern on ESPN, I believe.

wilson
11-06-2015, 08:06 AM
I'm at work and can't watch on ESPN. Is there a way I could tune in via, like, Skype or something?
*ducks*

SCMatt33
11-06-2015, 08:32 AM
I'm at work and can't watch on ESPN. Is there a way I could tune in via, like, Skype or something?
*ducks*

Since it sounds like WatchESPN won't be an option for you (though it will be available there if you have a cable login) your best bet would be if someone puts a feed up on periscope.

Duke95
11-06-2015, 08:42 AM
For those of you who cannot watch the announcement at noon eastern, I have obtained an advanced copy of the transcript. Here it is.

Harry Giles:

I have decided to attend Duke University. I look forward to crushing Duke's enemies, seeing them driven before us, and hearing the lamentations of their women.

Toodles,
Harry

MChambers
11-06-2015, 08:55 AM
*ducks*

Harry's going to call you, Wilson. He loves talking to volleyballs.

subzero02
11-06-2015, 09:24 AM

Don't leave Frank Jackson out of this duscussion. An elite skill set with truly elite athleticism...

jimsumner
11-06-2015, 11:18 AM
*ducks*

Harrison Barnes will be Skyping.

Duke95
11-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Harrison Barnes will be Skyping.

Giles will be just skying.

SuperTurkey
11-06-2015, 11:58 AM
You can watch live at ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/channel/espn/).

BD80
11-06-2015, 11:59 AM
For those of you who cannot watch the announcement at noon eastern, I have obtained an advanced copy of the transcript. Here it is.

Harry Giles:

I have decided to attend Duke University. I look forward to crushing Duke's enemies, seeing them driven before us, and hearing the lamentations of their women.

Toodles,
Harry

If only effort and intent translated to humor.

Yes, you screwed up in the past. Let it go. This isn't making it better.

There was a discussion recently on the board about the first rule of holes.

BTW it looks like the announcement will be on ESPN - Discussing it now

blynch923
11-06-2015, 12:06 PM
its official. he's coming to durham