PDA

View Full Version : Laura Keeley??

korshmar
11-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Laura Keeley, the Duke beat writer for the News and Observer, has been conspicuously absent from reporting on Duke since the middle of last week. The stories concerning the Miami game were written by others. Nor has she posted to Twitter concerning Duke sports. What's the story?

devildeac
11-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Laura Keeley, the Duke beat writer for the News and Observer, has been conspicuously absent from reporting on Duke since the middle of last week. The stories concerning the Miami game were written by others. Nor has she posted to Twitter concerning Duke sports. What's the story?

I'd check the DBR podcast booth...

dukejim1
11-03-2015, 09:52 PM

Cuba will be back at end of week

jimsumner
11-04-2015, 11:00 AM
She hasn't been at any Duke events for a week or so.

It is the beginning of cold and flu season. I'm sure there's a good reason.

Dev11
11-04-2015, 11:15 AM
I'd check the DBR podcast booth...

I solemnly swear that we're up to no good.

No info on Laura, though.

Class of '94
11-04-2015, 11:50 AM
I emailed her earlier in the week to get her thoughts about the Miami game as well as to check in with her since I, too, was wondering why she hadn't written any Duke articles since the VT game; and I received an automatic reply that stated she was on vacation and will return on Nov. 5.

sagegrouse
11-04-2015, 12:36 PM
I emailed her earlier in the week to get her thoughts about the Miami game as well as to check in with her since I, too, was wondering why she hadn't written any Duke articles since the VT game; and I received an automatic reply that stated she was on vacation and will return on Nov. 5.

So, the Miami debacle was totally her fault.

superdave
11-04-2015, 02:49 PM
No tweets since 10/28.

https://twitter.com/laurakeeley?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I like her writing so I hope she is not moving on, at least for a little while.

jwillfan
11-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Cuba will be back at end of week

At least that's how I read it - she *is* in Cuba, out of town, and will return. I noticed her absence in the weekend's coverage of the game and guessed maybe she'd run the NYC Marathon on Sunday since she's a runner. I wouldn't read too much into it. Cuba sounds interesting!

allenmurray
11-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Perhaps unlike many folks in 2015 she has good personal / work boundaries and when she goes on vacation she really goes on vacation (instead of checking work email, making phone calls. etc.).

korshmar
11-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Well, I hope Laura shows back up tomorrow, but it sure seems a strange time to take a vacation if you are the Duke beat writer, the week before the Carolina game.

cato
11-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Well, I hope Laura shows back up tomorrow, but it sure seems a strange time to take a vacation if you are the Duke beat writer, the week before the Carolina game.

Actually, makes sense to me: it's before MBB season officially starts, last week's FB game was against a mediocre out-of-state program with no shot at the division title, and she would return the Thursday before the game against Carolina.

Henderson
11-04-2015, 09:30 PM
This thread is so off-season.

FWIW, Kate Mara hasn't returned my emails for weeks. I hope she's OK.

BD80
11-04-2015, 09:48 PM

I have Kate's autograph.

It is on a restraining order, can't send any more emails

OldPhiKap
11-04-2015, 09:57 PM

Kate is fine, she has been away from the Internet for awhile though.

Long story. But she says "hey"

Henderson
11-04-2015, 10:30 PM
Kate is fine, she has been away from the Internet for awhile though.

Long story. But she says "hey"

Funny. That's what she said when I grabbed her shoulder in a cafe on Rodeo Drive last summer. Same old Kate.

Henderson
11-04-2015, 10:50 PM
I have Kate's autograph.

So I know a restraining order means no more jumping over the fence and knocking on the sliding glass door out by the pool. But no emails either? Dang, that's going to free up about half my mornings.

devildeac
11-04-2015, 11:02 PM
I have Kate's autograph.

Maybe ol roy can help you with those emails...

gam7
11-04-2015, 11:20 PM
I really learned a lot about Laura Keeley during Phase 0. Can't wait to find out what she does during Phase 1. Resume her beat reporting? Complete a Tough Mudder? Finish crocheting that blankie for her nephew? Participate in a Civil War reenactment? I'm intrigued.

OldPhiKap
11-05-2015, 06:42 AM
I really learned a lot about Laura Keeley during Phase 0. Can't wait to find out what she does during Phase 1. Resume her beat reporting? Complete a Tough Mudder? Finish crocheting that blankie for her nephew? Participate in a Civil War reenactment? I'm intrigued.

Word on the street it, Laura is on the outs with the re-enactment crowd because she always demands to be Mary Chestnut.

weezie
11-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Bwaahaha, OPK with the cymbal crash laugh...

MCFinARL
11-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Actually, makes sense to me: it's before MBB season officially starts, last week's FB game was against a mediocre out-of-state program with no shot at the division title, and she would return the Thursday before the game against Carolina.

Yes, no one could have sensibly anticipated that the game she missed would be the biggest story of the week in NCAA football.

Apologies for taking this thread back on-topic.