PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Livingstone (Exhibition November 4), Pre-game and in-game thread

MChambers
11-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Geez, we really are a football school! No thread yet for our next opponent, the Livingstone College Blue Bears. If the name sounds familiar, Duke played Livingstone in 2014, also on November 4. Final score: Duke 115, Livingstone 58.

Hope Matt Jones is able to play, given his groin injury last week, I'd be surprised.

uh_no
11-02-2015, 01:13 PM
I project a win.

whereinthehellami
11-02-2015, 01:54 PM
As far as I can tell Duke is their only exhibition game.

Ichabod Drain
11-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Geez, we really are a football school! No thread yet for our next opponent, the Livingstone College Blue Bears. If the name sounds familiar, Duke played Livingstone in 2014, also on November 4. Final score: Duke 115, Livingstone 58.

Hope Matt Jones is able to play, given his groin injury last week, I'd be surprised.

I would think that if Matt is anything other than 100% he will sit out. No need to risk anything at this point.

Troublemaker
11-02-2015, 02:33 PM
I'm anticipating a great performance from Grayson. He's supposed to be one of our best players but didn't play well in the first exhibition and was even benched at the start of the 2nd half. Gotta respond.

Olympic Fan
11-02-2015, 03:57 PM
I'll be looking for:

-- Does Derryck Thornton start? He didn't start the opener, but did start the second half. Will he play as well against Livingston as he did against Southern Florida?

-- Will Grayson play better? He wasn't really that bad in the first exhibition, but he wasn't the star we were hoping to see. Is he healthy -- he rolled an ankle late in that game.

-- How is Matt's health? He suffered a groin injury in the opener.

-- Will Ingram and Kennard shoot better? I thought both played well in the opener, but neither I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. many shots.

All and all, I plan to have fun watching this team development. They were actually much sharper in the opener (20 assists, just nine turnovers) than I expected at this stage. I discount the rebounding numbers because of the size differential.

weezie
11-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Lordy, IDs just sent email offering standing room at $80 each. Ours were $65 face up in Crusty-ville.
Impressive markup.

Pghdukie
11-02-2015, 07:17 PM
The price we pay for being a football school!!

whereinthehellami
11-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Any word on how Matt Jones is doing and if he is going to play on Wed?

MarkD83
11-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Back to top....

I noticed Justin Robinson did not play in the first exhibition (according to the box score). Is he injured?

Edouble
11-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Back to top...

I noticed Justin Robinson did not play in the first exhibition (according to the box score). Is he injured?

He's a freshman walk on, so I wouldn't count on him to see many minutes, even in exhibition games.

sandinmyshoes
11-04-2015, 09:51 AM
The colors of the Blue Bear uniforms should keep our guys instinctively fired up.

Troublemaker
11-04-2015, 09:53 AM
I'm really annoyed that the Redskins have a running back named Matt Jones apparently.

It makes it tough to scour feeds for any news about our Matt Jones.

Does anyone have an update on our guy's injury? Thanks!

superdave
11-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Anyone know where I can find the MBB Schedule for this season that I can download into my Outlook?

Troublemaker
11-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Anyone know where I can find the MBB Schedule for this season that I can download into my Outlook?

I found this link on ESPN but haven't tried it so can't verify whether it works: http://cal-cbb.espn.com/2/embed#Duke%20Blue%20Devils

MCFinARL
11-04-2015, 06:20 PM
He's a freshman walk on, so I wouldn't count on him to see many minutes, even in exhibition games.

True, but Brennan Besser, also a freshman walk on (and a less heralded one), did get a minute. I think there was some speculation that Robinson might red shirt; would exhibition games count in determining whether a non-injury redshirt is available?

pfrduke
11-04-2015, 06:24 PM
True, but Brennan Besser, also a freshman walk on (and a less heralded one), did get a minute. I think there was some speculation that Robinson might red shirt; would exhibition games count in determining whether a non-injury redshirt is available?

They do not.

riverside6
11-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Livingstone, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/livingstone-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-1142015-7-pm

Kennard into the starting lineup in place of Matt Jones

Troublemaker
11-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Per Coach K on radio, Matt is out. Groin pull, not severe, but they have to be careful with groin pulls -- non-severe can become severe if he returns too soon.

Matt hasn't practiced and won't practice all week. His leadership is missed. He's getting better and hopefully next week he can practice.

Kennard will start in his place (as riverside mentioned above).

lotusland
11-04-2015, 07:01 PM
No chat?

Furniture
11-04-2015, 07:10 PM
No chat?

Must be a football school!!

Native
11-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Man, can't say enough about how much Amile has improved. I know it's early in the season but he looks to have added some new post moves around the basket. He seems to be an early candidate to be the leader on this team alongside the Field Marshall.

EDIT: And just as I say it, he goes down. Hope it's OK.

jipops
11-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Hopefully we're getting these injury bugs out of the way early.

Troublemaker
11-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Yeah, seriously. Landed on someone's foot after jumping for an o-board, it looked like.

Two teammates helped him off the court.

Troublemaker
11-04-2015, 07:24 PM
We look good, though. Forcing turnovers leading to easy baskets.

We've shown an extended zone look on defense. So have they but we shred it with passing.

J-Rob in the game before Obi.

jipops
11-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Word is Amile will not return.

Good lord. Please don't be one of those seasons.

At least there isn't another game for 9 days.

Troublemaker
11-04-2015, 07:28 PM
With the injuries, Duke's fallen back into a 2-3 zone.

lotusland
11-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Admiral in the house

jipops
11-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Amile going to xray. Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain

jipops
11-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Livingstone shooting 16% right now. That is insane

Ok, now 22...but still

lotusland
11-04-2015, 07:43 PM
BDN App on my iPhone seems to have crashed. I got nothing but black screen.

NYBri
11-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Amile going to xray. Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain Please just be a sprain

Please just be a sprain

TruBlu
11-04-2015, 07:47 PM
With the injuries, Duke's fallen back into a 2-3 zone.

Injuries? Amile and who else?

Native
11-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Injuries? Amile and who else?

Matt isn't playing tonight. They said if it was a regular season game he'd play but they'd rather be safe than sorry.

TruBlu
11-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Matt isn't playing tonight. They said if it was a regular season game he'd play but they'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks. I was afraid someone else was injured during the game tonight.

NYBri
11-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Kennard is going to be a star.

moonpie23
11-04-2015, 08:03 PM
no chat?

moonpie23
11-04-2015, 08:05 PM
does someone have an update or chat link? i can't find the radio channel to isten...

Dukeford
11-04-2015, 08:06 PM
does someone have an update or chat link? i can't find the radio channel to isten...

http://tunein.com/radio/Blue-Devil-IMG-Sports-Network-s230308/

moonpie23
11-04-2015, 08:09 PM
found it....thanks....
amile is hurt?

jipops
11-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Kennard is going to be a star.

I have yet to see this kid in action. But based on the stat lines, it looks like this kid can really play.

NYBri
11-04-2015, 08:15 PM
I have yet to see this kid in action. But based on the stat lines, it looks like this kid can really play.

He can play.

lotusland
11-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Im not sure if the problem is the BDN App, my iPhone or the Internet where I am but I've seen about 2 minutes of action tonight. Hopefully the replay will work better.

NYBri
11-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Let me refine...Kennard can shoot.

Bay Area Duke Fan
11-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Let me refine...Kennard can shoot.

It's very annoying to watch him play with his hair. He's losing it at an early age. Coaches should talk with him about this. He's a great shooter and playmaker, but he needs to shave his head or do something to stop this bad habit. At some point it may distract his attention from the game.

Faison1
11-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Any updates? Is Amile OK? Is Luke more than a shooter? How is Ingram looking? Does Jeter look like he can step in?

CDu
11-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Any updates? Is Amile OK? Is Luke more than a shooter? How is Ingram looking? Does Jeter look like he can step in?

Not really much to glean that can answer your questions, other than that Kennard is definitely more than just a shooter. But we didn't need these exhibitions to know that.

Just won't know if Jeter is ready until we see these guys against remotely comparable opposition. These last two games have featured too many guys in my size range (I am 5'11", 200).

CDu
11-04-2015, 09:34 PM
found it...thanks...
amile is hurt?

Yes, he rolled his ankle landing on the foot of an opponent after getting a tip-in.

DBFAN
11-04-2015, 09:35 PM
@kenmedlin: K says Amile Jefferson's ankle was scoped tonight - only showed a sprain - will get x-rays tomorrow

Good news there. But I'm not sure what they mean by "scoped"

OldPhiKap
11-04-2015, 09:40 PM
@kenmedlin: K says Amile Jefferson's ankle was scoped tonight - only showed a sprain - will get x-rays tomorrow

Good news there. But I'm not sure what they mean by "scoped"

Obvious typo, they meant "scooped." Took him out for ice cream, asked if that made him feel better. Rocky Road apparently did the trick.

At least, that's what it means with my son.

tfk53
11-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Only thing I can think that makes any sense of "scoping" is they quickly did fluoroscopy - sort of a X-ray device you move around to see various body parts but not true X-ray pictures. They use it to see the position for doing procedures like back injections. However, am just a family doc, not an orthopod.

DBFAN
11-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Obvious typo, they meant "scooped." Took him out for ice cream, asked if that made him feel better. Rocky Road apparently did the trick.

At least, that's what it means with my son.

😎

But I was only asking cause I really wasn't sure.

DBFAN
11-04-2015, 09:45 PM
Only thing I can think that makes any sense of "scoping" is they quickly did fluoroscopy - sort of a X-ray device you move around to see various body parts but not true X-ray pictures. They use it to see the position for doing procedures like back injections. However, am just a family doc, not an orthopod.

Yeah I was trying to figure out if it was sports med lingo that I'm not aware of, or if there was some kind of camera involved or something like an ultrasound like you mentioned

rocketeli
11-04-2015, 09:47 PM
It's very annoying to watch him play with his hair. He's losing it at an early age. Coaches should talk with him about this. He's a great shooter and playmaker, but he needs to shave his head or do something to stop this bad habit. At some point it may distract his attention from the game.

Maybe he's like Samson, and his strength is in his hair. Poor guy, I think his hairline has actually receded since the game last week. It's going to be hard to keep that comb over in place during games though.

Livingstone is not on Duke's level and also didn't play well even taking that into account. They aren't tiny, however, so Duke did get to go against some bigger players. Kennard had the best game and showed more than just shooting. Allen did settle down some as the game went along. Jeter was solid, against less than ACC competition. Thornton was quick and can pass, but had a quiet game. Ingram was off a bit, maybe forcing it--he will have to work on becoming a guard, because he is just not strong enough to be a front line player in college or the pros. Robinson played a lot, perhaps his Dad visiting had something to do with it? but he did OK and may have certainly earned the time over Obi and Vrankovic.

DBFAN
So I asked DukeReport on Twitter and they said

@DukeReport:
A scope is a minimally invasive surgical procedure using a fiber optic camera to look for issues in the ankle.

I guess it just blows my mind sometimes to think of the tech they have nowadays in the locker room. Pretty cool stuff

Coballs
Im not sure if the problem is the BDN App, my iPhone or the Internet where I am but I've seen about 2 minutes of action tonight. Hopefully the replay will work better.

Ia there a BDN App for iPhone? I can't seem to find one and I have a BDN+ subscription. I was able to watch the game on my laptop. I guess from here on out it doesn't really matter since the regular season is up next and all the games are televised.

DBFAN
11-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Ia there a BDN App for iPhone? I can't seem to find one and I have a BDN+ subscription. I was able to watch the game on my laptop. I guess from here on out it doesn't really matter since the regular season is up next and all the games are televised.

I stopped doing BDN for that very prob. It seemed the only way I ever got the App to work was on iPad. And sometimes it would only do audio.

tfk53
11-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Yeah I was trying to figure out if it was sports med lingo that I'm not aware of, or if there was some kind of camera involved or something like an ultrasound like you mentioned

Fluoroscopy (again only an assumption that this is what was referred to) is actually done using x-rays, not ultrasound. More like a video that is not as clear or detailed as a static X-ray view.

Hoping the X-ray views tomorrow also without and breaks.

tfk53
11-04-2015, 09:59 PM
So I asked DukeReport on Twitter and they said

@DukeReport:
A scope is a minimally invasive surgical procedure using a fiber optic camera to look for issues in the ankle.

I guess it just blows my mind sometimes to think of the tech they have nowadays in the locker room. Pretty cool stuff

If they ever need to scope my ankle, I would need for it to be in as sterile of an environment as possible, just like when they scoped my knee. That would not include doing it in a locker room. There would be no urgency to doing an invasive procedure, especially with an exhibition game. Not convinced that @DukeReport has it right.

This has obviously gotten well beyond the game thread but I will be curious to get this clarified.

DBFAN
11-04-2015, 10:05 PM
That was the one thing I was wondering as well. Because of the reports I saw that Jefferson was standing on the court during halftime. Didn't seem like they could have been that quick and safe at the same time

Henderson
11-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Looks like the only bigs with free throw attempts (Plumlee and Jeter) went 2-8 from the line. Jeez that gets old. But it was good to see Ingram banging his FTs. Also nice to see Obi score. 3-3 from the floor I think.

Luke Kennard (Mr. 25 pts.) can play with his hair as much as he wants. It's just a tic. When guys grab their crotches, nobody thinks it's because something is about to fall out. Some people scratch their heads. Some people use the word "like" in every sentence. It's ok.

dukelifer
11-04-2015, 10:07 PM

I think he keeps checking to see if it is still there. It will be gone soon enough. But while distracting to us- it is clearly part of his focus.

DBFAN
11-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Here we go

@DukeReport Check that - K said it was a flouroscope - which is essentially an x-ray movie

jimsumner
11-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Injury update.

Allen is fine.

Jones dressed out but didn't warm up, at least not during the final warm-up segment. K said he could not play tomorrow but thinks he'll be fine by next week's game.

Jefferson. Early scans are encouraging but Duke will look deeper tomorrow.

He was walking around on his own power but with a limp. Good news or bad news? Glass half-empty or half-full.

So, another injury vigil. :(

JPtheGame
11-04-2015, 10:38 PM
I think he keeps checking to see if it is still there. It will be gone soon enough. But while distracting to us- it is clearly part of his focus.
I grew up in the Dayton area, 90% of my friends live in that area to this day. Cool hand Luke has been on the radar for a long time and I can attest to the fact that he has done the hair thing forever. It's not going away and when opposing fans mock it, he makes the team he's playing pay for their insolence. Learn to love it.