PDA

View Full Version : Barry Jacobs Double Dipper Trivia Question

Kathy S
11-02-2015, 11:47 AM
I think Barry Jacobs missed another person who coached basketball at two different ACC schools -- Leonard Hamilton coached at Miami and Florida State.

Olympic Fan
11-02-2015, 03:46 PM
I think Barry Jacobs missed another person who coached basketball at two different ACC schools -- Leonard Hamilton coached at Miami and Florida State.

Actually, that's not the only one he missed. In fact, he missed more than he got.

Bill (not to be confused with the Bill Foster who coached at Duke) Foster coached at Clemson (1976-84), at Miami (1986-90) and at Virginia Tech (1992-97). He was actually a triple dipper!

Gary Williams coached at Boston College before he coached at Maryland.

Gus Tebell coached six years at NC State and 20 years at Virginia.

James Baldwin coached one year at Duke in the '20s and two years at Wake Forest later in the decade.

Chuck Noe coached at Virginia Tech before he coached at South Carolina in the ACC (he would have been the Duke coach in 1960 if Bubas had turned Cameron down)

And if he's going to count McGuire for his stint at South Carolina, why not the other Bill Foster, who coached at South Carolina after he left Duke?

And I'm pretty sure the Dave Odom was the interim coach at Virginia for 3-4 games before he became head coach at Wake Forest.

Note: I know Barry says "Coached at multiple schools currently in the ACC",. but then he includes McGuire for his South Carolina -- stint ... they are not currently in the ACC unless I missed something.

Tom B.
11-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Note: I know Barry says "Coached at multiple schools currently in the ACC",. but then he includes McGuire for his South Carolina -- stint ... they are not currently in the ACC unless I missed something.

He also included Matt Doherty for his year at Notre Dame, long before Notre Dame was an ACC member.

MCFinARL
11-02-2015, 04:24 PM
He also included Matt Doherty for his year at Notre Dame, long before Notre Dame was an ACC member.

Yes, although that one would be okay under the category "multiple teams currently in the ACC," unlike Gary Williams (since Md. is not currently in the ACC) or the coaches who were at South Carolina, which is most certainly not currently in the ACC.

Edouble
11-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Actually, that's not the only one he missed. In fact, he missed more than he got.

Bill (not to be confused with the Bill Foster who coached at Duke) Foster coached at Clemson (1976-84), at Miami (1986-90) and at Virginia Tech (1992-97). He was actually a triple dipper!

Gary Williams coached at Boston College before he coached at Maryland.

Gus Tebell coached six years at NC State and 20 years at Virginia.

James Baldwin coached one year at Duke in the '20s and two years at Wake Forest later in the decade.

Chuck Noe coached at Virginia Tech before he coached at South Carolina in the ACC (he would have been the Duke coach in 1960 if Bubas had turned Cameron down)

And if he's going to count McGuire for his stint at South Carolina, why not the other Bill Foster, who coached at South Carolina after he left Duke?

And I'm pretty sure the Dave Odom was the interim coach at Virginia for 3-4 games before he became head coach at Wake Forest.

I was wondering if Dave Odom should be given 1/2 credit.

Also wondering if Bobby Cremins should be given 1/2 credit as well for driving halfway up I-85 to South Carolina before turning around.

This thread needs some serious merging.

NovaScotian
11-03-2015, 09:45 AM

i think he means currently in the sense that the teams were part of the ACC at the time the coach was there.

Olympic Fan
11-03-2015, 10:35 AM
i think he means currently in the sense that the teams were part of the ACC at the time the coach was there.

If that's the case, why did he include Matt Doherty -- who coached at Notre Dame BEFORE the Irish joined the ACC?

I love Barry, but this was just a badly worded and/or researched piece of trivia.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Yes, although that one would be okay under the category "multiple teams currently in the ACC," unlike Gary Williams (since Md. is not currently in the ACC) or the coaches who were at South Carolina, which is most certainly not currently in the ACC.

Yes, but BC wasn't in the ACC when GW was coaching there. I think the criteria should be that the team be in the ACC at the time of the coaching. This is the most accurate IMO.

Edouble
11-04-2015, 03:36 AM
Yes, but BC wasn't in the ACC when GW was coaching there. I think the criteria should be that the team be in the ACC at the time of the coaching. This is the most accurate IMO.

Right, but he set a precedent by including Matt Doherty's stint at Notre Dame. The school was not in the ACC at the time that Doherty was the head coach there.

sagegrouse
11-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Right, but he set a precedent by including Matt Doherty's stint at Notre Dame. The school was not in the ACC at the time that Doherty was the head coach there.

Alas, today's Jacobs piece also contains an error. If Danny Manning's career record is 51-58, his win rate is not 0.515, but 0.468. Yes, I copied the data into Excel and checked all the numbers; you can't be too careful as basketball season approaches.

Well, it turns out that Manning's career record per Wikipedia (yes, I donate to the foundation) is 51-48, so that the percentage is correct but the reported losses are overstated.

crimsondevil
11-04-2015, 05:06 PM
Alas, today's Jacobs piece also contains an error. If Danny Manning's career record is 51-58, his win rate is not 0.515, but 0.468. Yes, I copied the data into Excel and checked all the numbers; you can't be too careful as basketball season approaches.

Well, it turns out that Manning's career record per Wikipedia (yes, I donate to the foundation) is 51-48, so that the percentage is correct but the reported losses are overstated.

Double alas! There are also mistakes in Jamie Dixon's numbers. First, there is a typo - he has 307 wins, not 207. Second and more importantly, his winning percentage is thus .734 (307/418), not .752, dropping him to 5th behind Boeheim* and Pitino. This mistake is compounded by the text blurb which specifically mentions his placement above Boeheim and Pitino.

* Also - Boeheim's lost wins from the Syracuse scandal do not appear to be subtracted (maybe because appeals not yet exhausted?). Taking those 108 wins out would drop him to .720 and 5th place behind Pitino and again, Dixon.

**And I hear there's some minor thing going on that may affect Roy's wins in the near future...

Indoor66
11-04-2015, 05:27 PM
**And I hear there's some minor thing going on that may affect Roy's wins in the near future...

...And it should also affect Doh, Guthridge and Dean as well, one can hope.

Edouble
11-04-2015, 09:05 PM
...And it should also affect Doh, Guthridge and Dean as well, one can hope.

Give the guy a break already. I hear he only managed 8 wins in one whole season at unc. He barely has anything worth vacating.

Indoor66
11-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Give the guy a break already. I hear he only managed 8 wins in one whole season at unc. He barely has anything worth vacating.

No Mercy! :mad::cool: