PDA

View Full Version : Florida Southern (Exhibition) - Pre-game and in-game thread - 10/30 - 7PM - BDN

Billy Dat
10-29-2015, 03:28 PM
I've never started one of these but I couldn't find another place to post this tweet and reply:

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla Oct 28
Will not see Duke in preseason but number of NBA scouts told me they would be very concerned about Blue Devils playmaking. Wing-oriented O.

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla Oct 28
They HAVE to. That's my point. RT @henman11: @franfraschilla Grayson and Kennard can both run some point as well

I find that Fraschilla tends to throw subtle shade at K, I am not sure what their history is, but it colors my perception of his missives. Still, though, reading other media it seems like NBA guys are at our practices and word leaks out. For example, ESPN insider has an item today about how NBA guys who have watched Duke practice think Kennard is going to be a big part of the team this year. I don't like that Thornton is getting this kind of negative press but I am willing to chalk it up to the modern media landscape where a kid gets picked apart where in simpler times he'd be allowed to be a freshman and grow into the role over the course of the season.

All that being said, I am really interested to see how Derryck looks tomorrow night in addition to the early season rotation.

As for watching the game, I think it's worth plunking down $10 for the first few exhibition games on BDN
http://www.goduke.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Kedsy
10-29-2015, 03:37 PM
All that being said, I am really interested to see how Derryck looks tomorrow night in addition to the early season rotation.

I agree that Derryck's performance, on both sides of the ball, is my biggest point of interest in this game.

As for watching the game, I think it's worth plunking down $10 for the first few exhibition games on BDN
http://www.goduke.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Be careful, though. Last year I signed up for one month only and got billed for six before I noticed. When I called, BDN told me it had nothing to do with them and I had to call the video provider directly, who refunded some but not all of the unwanted months. This year I'm staying away. I'll have to rely on the rest of you to tell me how the team looked.

MChambers
10-29-2015, 03:52 PM
Duke is playing the defending DII champion, or at least the program that won last year. (Duke has done this for several years.) I think Florida Southern has a new head coach, however. School is ready:

http://www.theledger.com/article/20151026/SPORTS19/151029595

I agree about discounting Fraschiila's comments.

CDu
10-29-2015, 03:56 PM
I think those are fair concerns, at least from the "creating for teammates" perspective. Allen has no resume as anything other than a "seek your own shot" player on offense, so it remains to be seen if he can create for others. Jones has been a terrific player for us, but exclusively as a defender and off-ball offensive player. Those are our only returning recruited players that have any playmaking chops at all.

So that leaves the freshmen as the playmaking/distributing options, specifically Thornton, Kennard, and Ingram. Ingram is, by all accounts I've read, a truly gifted scorer from a variety of places on the floor. But I've not seen anyone suggest that he's a distributor. So that leaves Thornton and Kennard. Kennard is apparently a very gifted scorer and really smart all-around player, so he may have the awareness and bball IQ to be an unorthodox PG option like Scheyer. But he will just be a frosh, and Scheyer didn't really excel in that role until his senior year (he struggled at it in the few games he played PG as a junior). Thornton is the only true PG on the roster, and he doesn't have a reputation of being a great game manager like Tyus Jones.

So I do wonder if our offense is going to be a lot of the old Calipari "dribble drive" approach, where each of our capable scorers is creating his own shot. I'm sure we'll score a lot because we have a lot of potentially great individual scorers. But I do wonder if we'll be a very streaky offensive team, with some serious valleys as our guys struggle to figure out easier ways to score against better, more organized defenses.

Of course, it could also be that guys like Ingram and (hopefully) Allen and Kennard are just so gifted offensively that they can overcome it. I hope that's the case.

Kedsy
10-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Duke is playing the defending DII champion, or at least the program that won last year. (Duke has done this for several years.)

I believe this is the 7th straight season Duke has played the defending DII champ.

Kedsy
10-29-2015, 04:02 PM
So I do wonder if our offense is going to be a lot of the old Calipari "dribble drive" approach, where each of our capable scorers is creating his own shot. I'm sure we'll score a lot because we have a lot of potentially great individual scorers. But I do wonder if we'll be a very streaky offensive team, with some serious valleys as our guys struggle to figure out easier ways to score against better, more organized defenses.

This makes a lot of sense. To me, it means the key to the season is going to be whether we live up to our potential on defense, and again Derryck and Brandon are the key unknowns.

mgtr
10-29-2015, 05:01 PM
I looked at minutes and scoring for last year, and the roster for this year. As with Duke, they lost most of their scoring, and have reloaded with new players. Also as with Duke, they have seven new players. Should be an interesting game, would have been more interesting if we could have played their last year's team with Duke's current team.
I am guessing that we win by 30.

jimsumner
10-29-2015, 06:48 PM
I think those are fair concerns, at least from the "creating for teammates" perspective. Allen has no resume as anything other than a "seek your own shot" player on offense, so it remains to be seen if he can create for others. Jones has been a terrific player for us, but exclusively as a defender and off-ball offensive player. Those are our only returning recruited players that have any playmaking chops at all.

So that leaves the freshmen as the playmaking/distributing options, specifically Thornton, Kennard, and Ingram. Ingram is, by all accounts I've read, a truly gifted scorer from a variety of places on the floor. But I've not seen anyone suggest that he's a distributor. So that leaves Thornton and Kennard. Kennard is apparently a very gifted scorer and really smart all-around player, so he may have the awareness and bball IQ to be an unorthodox PG option like Scheyer. But he will just be a frosh, and Scheyer didn't really excel in that role until his senior year (he struggled at it in the few games he played PG as a junior). Thornton is the only true PG on the roster, and he doesn't have a reputation of being a great game manager like Tyus Jones.

Of course, it could also be that guys like Ingram and (hopefully) Allen and Kennard are just so gifted offensively that they can overcome it. I hope that's the case.

One quibble. Scheyer moved to the starting PG spot in the middle of his junior year. By the end of the season he was playing so well that he won the Case Award as the most outstanding player of the ACC Tournament, as Duke won that title.

huey
10-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Be careful, though. Last year I signed up for one month only and got billed for six before I noticed. When I called, BDN told me it had nothing to do with them and I had to call the video provider directly, who refunded some but not all of the unwanted months. This year I'm staying away. I'll have to rely on the rest of you to tell me how the team looked.

Anyone know how soon the replays of the game are available on BDN? Don't know if I'll be able to catch a Friday, 7pm game but don't want to plunk down $10 if I can't the replay.

mattman91
10-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Anyone know how soon the replays of the game are available on BDN? Don't know if I'll be able to catch a Friday, 7pm game but don't want to plunk down $10 if I can't the replay.

IIRC, they put the replay up about an hour after the game.

msdukie
10-29-2015, 08:35 PM
For all of you above who only want to pay for BDN + for a month, friendly reminder that Duke does have 26 (soon to be 27) sports and you can watch all of them, plus coaches shows, videos, etc. all year on BDN+ with a subscription.

David Bunkley
10-30-2015, 06:52 AM
Finally!

#GODUKE

flyingdutchdevil
10-30-2015, 07:02 AM

Interesting. Very interesting. However, this assumes that, at the very least, Allen, Ingram, and Thornton are all talented drivers. I think it's safe to say that they are decent at the very least at this attribute, which would be impressive. Last year, only Tyus frequently drove, with Winslow being more of a fast break champion (not counting Allen as we only saw him drive in a handful of games). Having Allen, Ingram, Thornton, and possibly Kennard drive would be the solution to our potential offensive problems. And given that we are talented at the 3pt line this year (again), dribble-drive makes even more sense. But I hope there is a way to manufacture "easier" points, and I think Ingram can provide some of that (much in the way of Rodney Hood or Jabari). Ingram has a reputation of being too good a scorer from all over the floor to not manufacture a few easy points here and there.

Ichabod Drain
10-30-2015, 09:33 AM
Duke has a basketball game today... against another a team of players from another school... and they're going to keep score and everything!!!

fuse
10-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Feels like a team built for drive and kick out.

If Matt Jones and Luke Kennard can keep their spacing, we'll make defenses pay that collapse on Ingram, Thornton, or Allen.

Same for Marshall and Amile if they are ready for the dump pass underneath.

Going to be another fun year for Duke basketball.

MCFinARL
10-30-2015, 10:30 AM
I agree that Derryck's performance, on both sides of the ball, is my biggest point of interest in this game.

I had a similar experience, though not quite so bad as I realized quickly that the subscription was continuing until I cancelled it--but figuring out how to cancel it was a challenge; information on BDN was opaque at best. Obviously it's not in their interest for people to cancel, but they could do a better job of making this all clear.

David Bunkley
10-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Duke has a basketball game today... against another a team of players from another school... and they're going to keep score and everything!!!

And I can barely contain my excitement!

Troublemaker
10-30-2015, 10:45 AM
IIRC, they put the replay up about an hour after the game.

Last season, they were consistently very quick to put up the games after they finished.

This season, they've been slower so far. The Open Practice was uploaded a couple weeks after it occurred, for example. CTC was uploaded a day or two later than when it occurred, IIRC.

They've been busy with the new website design, so maybe things will return to normal now.

whereinthehellami
10-30-2015, 11:03 AM
There was a post on The Devil's Den saying that in an intrasquad scrimmage Coach divided the teams up into vets (w/Pags) versus freshman and the vets ran it up to 29-1 before coach K called it off and mixed up the teams. Interesting.

Kedsy
10-30-2015, 11:05 AM
There was a post on The Devil's Den saying that in an intrasquad scrimmage Coach divided the teams up into vets (w/Pags) versus freshman and the vets ran it up to 29-1 before coach K called it off and mixed up the teams. Interesting.

Alarming, if true.

uh_no
10-30-2015, 11:16 AM
Alarming, if true.

but not altogether surprising i think....given that when

Mason/obi/grayson/amile + luke (if memory serves me...) started the b/w they had complete control until obi switched sides a few minutes in.

adding in jonesy over luke would swing the pendulum further, I think.

That does mean that derrick, chase, and ingram need to get their butts in gear if they want to see significant time.

Also possible that the "best 5" could include one of the new guys, even if they did get run out of the building....i mean ingram could be a stud, and if the other guys have a ways to go, I can see one of them being unable to compensate.

We shall see.....but i wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran heavy lineup tonight.

CDu
10-30-2015, 11:24 AM
but not altogether surprising i think...given that when

Mason/obi/grayson/amile + luke (if memory serves me...) started the b/w they had complete control until obi switched sides a few minutes in.

That does mean that derrick, chase, and ingram need to get their butts in gear if they want to see significant time.

Also possible that the "best 5" could include one of the new guys, even if they did get run out of the building...i mean ingram could be a stud, and if the other guys have a ways to go, I can see one of them being unable to compensate.

We shall see...but i wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran heavy lineup tonight.

If Mason played with the vets in the Blue/White scrimmage, I'd expect that result for sure. With Marshall instead, that game would be closer. ;)

I'd put Allen ahead of Kennard and Jefferson/Plumlee/Obi way ahead of Jeter/Vrankovic/Robinson. Thornton should have a huge edge over Pagliuca, and Ingram should take a comfortable edge over Jones. But you never know. It would call into concern just how ready Thornton and Ingram are if the vets won 29-1.

Alternatively, given the ENORMOUS rebounding advantage that the veteran group would have, it could just be that Ingram/Thornton/Kennard weren't hitting shots and the vets were getting all the rebounds.

Ichabod Drain
10-30-2015, 11:26 AM

Also possible that the "best 5" could include one of the new guys, even if they did get run out of the building...i mean ingram could be a stud, and if the other guys have a ways to go, I can see one of them being unable to compensate.

We shall see....but i wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran heavy lineup tonight.

If Mason starts tonight I expect a significant bump in preseason rankings :p

Indoor66
10-30-2015, 11:38 AM

If Mason starts tonight I expect NCAA penalties! :)

uh_no
10-30-2015, 11:59 AM

well...marshall looked very mason-like in the b/w....the sky hook....and he posterized someone

sagegrouse
10-30-2015, 12:00 PM

Alarming, if true.

Lessee..

Team Vet
Amile
Marshall
Matt
Grayson
Pagliuca

Team Frosh
Jeter
Ingram
Kennard
Thornton
Robinson

29-1, eh? Sounds like are veterans are great defenders.

mattman91
10-30-2015, 12:01 PM

We shall see....but i wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran heavy lineup tonight.

Derryck :cool:

uh_no
10-30-2015, 12:02 PM

derrick:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick

killerleft
10-30-2015, 12:17 PM
If Mason played with the vets in the Blue/White scrimmage, I'd expect that result for sure. With Marshall instead, that game would be closer. ;)

I'd put Allen ahead of Kennard and Jefferson/Plumlee/Obi way ahead of Jeter/Vrankovic/Robinson. Thornton should have a huge edge over Pagliuca, and Ingram should take a comfortable edge over Jones. But you never know. It would call into concern just how ready Thornton and Ingram are if the vets won 29-1.

Alternatively, given the ENORMOUS rebounding advantage that the veteran group would have, it could just be that Ingram/Thornton/Kennard weren't hitting shots and the vets were getting all the rebounds.

I don't find the 29-1 score particularly concerning. The vets had the "hot hand", that's all.;)

uh_no
10-30-2015, 12:17 PM
I don't find the 29-1 score particularly concerning. The vets had the "hot hand", that's all.;)

or maybe their kenpom "luck" is just off the charts!

Billy Dat
10-30-2015, 12:29 PM
derrick:

Derek
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141123211249/thegamesrp/images/0/00/Derek_zoolander.jpg

Olympic Fan
10-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Allen has no resume as anything other than a "seek your own shot" player on offense, so it remains to be seen if he can create for others.

Certainly that was the case last season, when he had 14 assists and 15 turnovers for the season.

But he talked about the need to expand that part of his game during the first media day. He said that last year, he played so sparingly, he was able to just put his head down and drive -- and that he caught opponents by surprise. This year, he said, he expected to see more defensive focus ... and he needed to respond by looking for the open shooters when the defense collapsed on his drives.

During the Blue-White scrimmage, when he had 5 assists and no turnovers.

I realize that's a small sample size, but it's at least evidence that Allen understands what he needs to do this season to be a more effective player.

Skitzle
10-30-2015, 12:35 PM
Derek S Thorton.

His middle name is Sheldon right?

mattman91
10-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Derek S Thorton.

His middle name is Sheldon right?

I thought it was Justice.

Kedsy
10-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Thornton should have a huge edge over Pagliuca, and Ingram should take a comfortable edge over Jones. But you never know. It would call into concern just how ready Thornton and Ingram are if the vets won 29-1.

Exactly why I said it was alarming. I'm happy that our veterans appear to have improved immensely and may be ready to step out of their past complementary roles and become formidable players. But If Brandon and Derryck weren't on the team we'd be talking about a borderline top-25 team. Brandon needs to be the best player on the team and Derryck needs to control the ball on both sides. If the two of them alone weren't enough to do better than 1 to 29, then it seems pretty worrisome to me.

Kedsy
10-30-2015, 12:49 PM
I thought it was Justice.

Exactly. That's what the "S" stands for.

devildeac
10-30-2015, 01:00 PM
derrick:

I'd expect this to be pretty difficult to shoot over but fairly easy to drive by/around due to immobility, though it might take a bit of extra time based on its multiple cinder block width/depth/weight. Would provide a very solid presence in the low post. :rolleyes:

Troublemaker
10-30-2015, 01:25 PM

derrick:

Derek
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141123211249/thegamesrp/images/0/00/Derek_zoolander.jpg

Besides the spelling, the pronunciation will be difficult, too. I've heard Derryck pronounce his name before (see forthcoming link), and the two Rs in "Derryck" roll (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ).

mattman91
10-30-2015, 01:35 PM
Exactly. That's what the "S" stands for.

Derryck J Thornton

Devil77
10-30-2015, 01:53 PM
I had a similar experience, though not quite so bad as I realized quickly that the subscription was continuing until I cancelled it--but figuring out how to cancel it was a challenge; information on BDN was opaque at best. Obviously it's not in their interest for people to cancel, but they could do a better job of making this all clear.

Delete your credit card.

moonpie23
10-30-2015, 03:03 PM
Amile representin' (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/108880/3-point-shot-duke-still-seeking-identity)

jimsumner
10-30-2015, 03:52 PM
Certainly that was the case last season, when he had 14 assists and 15 turnovers for the season.

But he talked about the need to expand that part of his game during the first media day. He said that last year, he played so sparingly, he was able to just put his head down and drive -- and that he caught opponents by surprise. This year, he said, he expected to see more defensive focus ... and he needed to respond by looking for the open shooters when the defense collapsed on his drives.

During the Blue-White scrimmage, when he had 5 assists and no turnovers.

I realize that's a small sample size, but it's at least evidence that Allen understands what he needs to do this season to be a more effective player.

Good point. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth about Jones "shutting down" Allen in the first half of the scrimmage. But Allen had three assists in that
12-minute span and a couple of other passes that led to free throws. Every time he was doubled, he found an open man.

Small sample size but it does suggest a maturation and expansion of his offensive game.

-jk
10-30-2015, 06:25 PM
For those of you who subscribed to BDN, DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

fidel
10-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Reminder:

http://tunein.com/radio/Blue-Devil-IMG-Sports-Network-s230308/

Live radio. Oughtta be stickied.

LGD

riverside6
10-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Florida Southern, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/florida-southern-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-10302015-7-pm

Starters: Allen, Jones, Ingram, Jefferson, Plumlee

FireOgilvie
10-30-2015, 07:00 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Florida Southern, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/florida-southern-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-10302015-7-pm

Starters: Allen, Jones, Ingram, Jefferson, Plumlee

Veteran lineup + Ingram; not surprised at all. It will be interesting to see how Thornton looks coming off the bench.

Duke95
10-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Let's go Devils!

So, Grayson is our PG right now.

Troublemaker
10-30-2015, 07:10 PM
10-0.

Yeah, we're going undefeated. The team looks great.

Duke95
10-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Solid, Chase, solid!

Troublemaker
10-30-2015, 07:16 PM
Under 16 timeout.

Marshall has a nice lefty jump hook this season. Made two.

Troublemaker
10-30-2015, 07:38 PM
Under 8 timeout. 32-22. Fast-paced game.

Defense is NOT ahead of offense. (Actually, the D was great until the frosh subbed in.)

Impressed with our motion on O.

8-man rotation. No Obi, J-Rob, or Vrank.

lotusland
10-30-2015, 07:52 PM
Anyone else have trouble watching on their phone?

fuse
10-30-2015, 07:59 PM
Halftime score of 62-40 indicates a porous defense.

No Obi in the first half?

Grayson as starting point guard?

gwlaw99
10-30-2015, 08:05 PM
Anyone else have trouble watching on their phone?

They make you buy the app.

Troublemaker
10-30-2015, 08:06 PM
Halftime score of 62-40 indicates a porous defense.

FlaSo went to 5 guards essentially and played 5-out motion and we had a difficult time guarding them. When Coach countered with smallball of our own, we started to take control again.

Grayson as starting point guard?

Not sure we have a PG except when Derryck is in. Matt, Grayson, and Brandon kind of shared duties. Matt did a lot of bringing the ball upcourt and setting up the halfcourt offense, so he was most PG-ish, I suppose, but Grayson and Brandon did a lot of playmaking after the initial setup in halfcourt. Grayson gave a good push in transition. Overall, we pushed the ball a lot in transition and then ran nice motion in the halfcourt.

No Obi in the first half?

No Obi.

phaedrus
10-30-2015, 08:08 PM
Tried to get the score on the ESPN app, but all it said was Duke was beating Wisconsin 68-63. Anyone know what's up with that?

ranantha1
10-30-2015, 08:10 PM
Check out this link:

http://www.goduke.com/liveStats/v2/basketball/index.dbml?GAME_STAT_ID=2318168&db_oem_id=4200

when did we merge with Drake???

FireOgilvie
10-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Tried to get the score on the ESPN app, but all it said was Duke was beating Wisconsin 68-63. Anyone know what's up with that?

Exhibition.

Duke95
Check out this link:

http://www.goduke.com/liveStats/v2/basketball/index.dbml?GAME_STAT_ID=2318168&db_oem_id=4200

when did we merge with Drake???

We didn't but I think Serena may have.

gcashwell

They don't do exhibitions. Try scacchoops.com

lotusland
10-30-2015, 08:26 PM
They make you buy the app.

Which app? Don't see one for BDN at the app store

lotusland
10-30-2015, 08:28 PM
Obi in

lotusland
10-30-2015, 08:32 PM
So I wonder if Obi and zone is a coincidence ?

Duke95
10-30-2015, 08:33 PM
So I wonder if Obi and zone is a coincidence ?

I think a 39 point lead and zone are the coincidence.

BD80
10-30-2015, 08:39 PM

No Obi in the first half? ...

Obi-non

NSDukeFan
10-30-2015, 08:44 PM

Poor Wisconsin. We've been beating them for 7 months.

BigWayne
10-30-2015, 08:45 PM
I tried to check the stats from the goduke page and it gives me a weird hybrid of basketball and soccer. Looks like we are winning the soccer game 1-0.

Duke95
10-30-2015, 08:53 PM
Thornton has played very, very well.

Luke has been average. He is a bit of a black hole in terms of passing.

Obi's hands are a rebound magnet.

Grayson is trying to force things. Same thing for Ingram.

FireOgilvie
10-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Thornton has played very, very well.

Luke has been average. He is a bit of a black hole in terms of passing.

Obi's hands are a rebound magnet.

Grayson is trying to force things. Same thing for Ingram.

Thornton's scoring was fantastic.

Totally disagree about Luke's passing. He made a number of great passes where guys just didn't finish and he did a good job spreading the ball around. He had the same number of assists as Thornton (2).

Agreed about Grayson and Ingram trying to force things too much.

Luke's biggest issue is off-the-ball defense. He tends to get lost.