PDA

View Full Version : Seth Davis/SI.com Story On K

Atlanta Duke
09-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Interesting read from Seth Davis on K balancing Team USA and Duke reponsibilities. Excerpt & link below:

Though he did not miss much road time during the critical July evaluation period for recruiting, he does concede he had "blinders on" while coaching the U.S. team.

That's why, when he returned to Durham this month, he spent a lot of time conducting individual workouts, a job he usually delegates to his assistants. "I do them so I can touch my team and be with them," he says. "I've had them over my house more, too. I know how much I focused on [USA Basketball], but the neat thing is, everybody understood, and I feel like basketball-wise I'm way ahead in preparation for the season."

That's another reason why Krzyzewski says he is so pumped for the coming season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/seth_davis/09/27/hoopthoughts/index.html

Looking forward to see how the input from the other Team USA coaches may impact Duke's approach this season.

SilkyJ
09-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Interesting read from Seth Davis on K balancing Team USA and Duke reponsibilities. Excerpt & link below:

That's why, when he returned to Durham this month, he spent a lot of time conducting individual workouts, a job he usually delegates to his assistants.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/seth_davis/09/27/hoopthoughts/index.html

Good article. Thanks for the link.

Question for those who know the in-and-outs of NCAA rules better than I:

I always thought that coaches couldn't have any sort of basketball-related interaction with the players during the summer/early fall leading up to midnight madness? But judging from the article I guess its OK when it is on a one-on-one as opposed to a team basis?

Lord Ash
09-27-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm sorry, but the most impressive thing in that article to me is Kyle's mile run time! 4 minutes 50 seconds is NOT shabby at ALL for a 6'9 guy!

ACCBBallFan
09-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Good article. Thanks for the link.

Question for those who know the in-and-outs of NCAA rules better than I:

I always thought that coaches couldn't have any sort of basketball-related interaction with the players during the summer/early fall leading up to midnight madness? But judging from the article I guess its OK when it is on a one-on-one as opposed to a team basis?Not sure of the exact rule, but I think as official start of practice gets closer, coaches are given a couple hours a week and ramp up during the last month or so.

sandinmyshoes
09-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Isn't the rule that they can have limited workouts. Like three players at a time or something, and for only so many hours a week?

VaDukie
09-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm sorry, but the most impressive thing in that article to me is Kyle's mile run time! 4 minutes 50 seconds is NOT shabby at ALL for a 6'9 guy!

That number made my jaw drop.