PDA

View Full Version : Nike Duke Basketball Hat

NCDBlueDevilsTC78
10-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Duke family,
I was wondering if someone could help me out. My son ever since he was little would always wear my Nike elite Duke basketball cap. Every year we go down to Duke we can not find any new Nike Duke hats with D and basketball hoop in the middle of it.
My son wants a new cap or older hat still in good condition. Would any Duke fans, have a Nike elite Duke basketball cap. That would considered selling or giving to a good home.

Please send me a message if you can help me out.

BigWayne
10-29-2015, 02:50 AM
Duke family,
I was wondering if someone could help me out. My son ever since he was little would always wear my Nike elite Duke basketball cap. Every year we go down to Duke we can not find any new Nike Duke hats with D and basketball hoop in the middle of it.
My son wants a new cap or older hat still in good condition. Would any Duke fans, have a Nike elite Duke basketball cap. That would considered selling or giving to a good home.

Please send me a message if you can help me out.
Like this one? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Duke-Blue-Devils-Nike-Basketball-Snapback-Hat-Cap-/221920033247?hash=item33ab76f9df:g:SbIAAOSw3ydVhMC S)

itshoopsbabee
10-29-2015, 08:24 AM
Like this one? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Duke-Blue-Devils-Nike-Basketball-Snapback-Hat-Cap-/221920033247?hash=item33ab76f9df:g:SbIAAOSw3ydVhMC S)

Wow, had to go back the 1990's to find one!

Hasn't Duke eliminated the use of the "basket inside the D" construct for branding Duke basketball? That may account for the difficulty of finding a non-vintage hat.

Dukehky
10-29-2015, 12:17 PM
Wow, had to go back the 1990's to find one!

Hasn't Duke eliminated the use of the "basket inside the D" construct for branding Duke basketball? That may account for the difficulty of finding a non-vintage hat.

Yes. The new D is an homage to the Iron Dukes, and it also eliminates the differential between sports, which was a big Cutcliffe initiative.

msdukie
10-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Yes. The new D is an homage to the Iron Dukes, and it also eliminates the differential between sports, which was a big Cutcliffe initiative.

This isn't quite true as it wasn't a Cutcliffe initiative, but a marketing/consistency issue. First, the hat is the 1994-95 official team hat. Trust me, I lived 13-18 and I still have the hat.

Second, Duke signed its first all-sport Nike contract in the summer of 2008 (previously each sport could select its own apparel maker, though more and more sports were gravitating toward Nike; MBB had signed its top flight Nike deal in 1993, WBB started with Nike deals in 1995 and football with its supplier deal in 2003).

As part of the all-sport deal, it would take 3 years to phase in all sports as remaining non-Nike contracts ran out. Some of the impetus for an all-sport contract, other than the fact that pretty much every school has one now, was making the logos, colors, typeface etc. consistent amongst all sports. As such, between 2008-2011 as every sport was switching to Nike, Nike worked with Duke (as is customary in these contracts) to streamline/"rebrand" all logos and marks.

In fall 2011, all sports completed the transition to Nike and Duke introduced its slightly modified look which consisted of a slightly new number font (oddly, football is using the old number font (standard block) this year), a slightly tweaked version of DUKE in block for all sports and Duke made the Iron Duke "D" the primary logo. Previously, the primary Duke Athletics logo was the D with the Devil head inside, with Men's Basketball (and to a lesser extent WBB) using the Duke Basketball logo as their primary; there were also lots of inconsistent uses of the Devil head and the Iron Duke "D" as primary/secondary marks across all sports. Technically every sport had its own logo with the sport logo inside the D, but only MBB used it on the uniforms and all of its gear, including merchandise for sale. (Duke baseball had used the gothic D in recent years as further inconsistency).

After the rebrand with the "D" becoming the primary logo, the Devil head became the secondary logo and the D with Devil head inside was retired. The Duke Basketball logo *is* still in use as a limited-use secondary mark, though not on any products sold other than Vault gear nor on the Cameron court. The logo is still widely used by Duke Blue Planet, in the practice facility, museum, and on the team's practice and travel gear (though the versions sold to the public are sans ball and hoop).

Also, Duke has changed its academic university logo in recent years, moving away from Gothic to a unique (some would say boring and generic) word font.

Probably more information than any of you wanted to know but I'm trying not to watch Carolina-Pitt.