PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 10-27-15

jimsumner
10-27-2015, 01:54 PM
Duke got back to work this morning following Saturday night's epochal four-overtime win over Virginia Tech.

David Cutcliffe is not dialing back practices after the extra long game. He says these guys are young and healthy and will be fine Saturday night. He said he was pleased with the win but it should never have come down to overtime, Duke needs to fix the problems that kept them from winning in regulation and that he and his staff were not going to talk the team out of those problems. It has to happen on the field.

He also noted that the 7 P.M. start time will give the team extra rest. Jeremy Cash didn't agree. He says he'd rather wake up and play. You get anxious sitting in the hotel waiting for the game.

Cut called Miami's performance against Clemson an "outlier" and expects his team to prepare for a talented Miami team.

Duke is practicing with the expectation that Brad Kayaa will start at QB for Miami. He refused to be drawn into the coaching controversy at Miami, saying there was no typical response to an in-season coaching change. But he did allow that it was not generally a positive. But Duke is concerning itself with Duke.

The team should be able to watch most of Thursday's UNC-Pitt game. Thomas Sirk said he would watch the game as any fan would, while Matt Skura said he'll pay some attention to defensive alignments and such but not to the extent that he'll back up the picture, pause or do anything like that. But Skura did say that when he watched the VT-Ohio State game earlier this season, he took notes and made charts.

Cut called Max McCaffrey's six catch, 94-yard, two-TD performance against VT "absolutely a great game. he's playing like a senior should."

McCaffrey was expected to play a big role this season. But what kind of odds would you have gotten back in August that Anthony Nash and Eric Schneider would be the guys catching touchdown passes in overtime at Blacksburg?

Cut said their development indicated Duke's improved depth and credited both with getting better in practice. He said he wasn't a fan of the concept of playing well when the lights are on. He wants to know how they play when the practice lights come on.

Sirk said of the duo. "They continue to grow and progress as players. The way they prepare in practice gives me confidence in them. They made big-time plays."

Another player who stepped up was DT Mike Ramsay. Carlos Wray played a lot of end, with Kyler Brown out and Ramsay had seven tackles. Cut said Duke has seen this in practice. "He took advantage of the opportunity. He has talent."

Cut said Sirk throwing downfield was partly a result of VT's defensove strategy--which doesn't give up many checkdowns-and Sirk's maturation. "He's much more poised and mature. He's definitely improved."

Cut said Duke would have preferred to win in regulation but "found out a little bit more about ourselves . . . if you're not prepared, it's not going to turn out good."

Cut praised not only the endurance of his players but also of his coaches, who made the right call into the extra periods. He compared being an OC or DC to being an air-traffic controller at O'Hare on a Friday, with thunderstorms all around. And then you've got to keep going.

The two-point conversion was a pass/run option but Cut reminded Sirk that he was a pretty good runner and not to be afraid to run for it. Sirk said he had no idea how many times he was hit on that play. He just saw daylight and went for it. Both Cutcliffe and Sirk had much praise for Shaq Powell on that play. Powell threw a block, got up and threw another, helping Sirk muscle through a 300-pound defender.

Cut said he got a text from an old friend from Alabama, noting that Duke had won conference games by scores of 9-7 and 45-43 and asked "will you make up your mind?"

Jeremy Cash played 106 snaps against VT. He says recovery is "definitely a process. We were able to use Sunday as an active recovering day. We weren't hitting on all cylinders today. We still need to get our legs back. . . . Practice is made hard, so the game comes easy. . . I got back, had a nice little nap and had ice over pretty much every part of my body."

Sixthman
10-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Even with the 4OTS I am surprised Va tech had 106 snaps. It seemed like they used the whole clock on every play (even at the end of regulation when they should have been moving fast). I'm sure Cash will be ready to play by Saturday, but that is a heavy load.

budwom
10-27-2015, 03:49 PM
Tech's 20 play, 95 yard TD drive in the second half took 9:46, and was the longest drive (timewise) of Beamer's career at Tech, which goes back to 1835 I believe.

BD80
10-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Even with the 4OTS I am surprised Va tech had 106 snaps. It seemed like they used the whole clock on every play (even at the end of regulation when they should have been moving fast). I'm sure Cash will be ready to play by Saturday, but that is a heavy load.

Maybe Duke can provide the same therapeutic equipment UCLA gives itS true freshman QB IN HIS DORM ROOM:

http://www.cbssports.com/images/collegefootball/joshrosendormroomhottub.jpg

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Maybe Duke can provide the same therapeutic equipment UCLA gives itS true freshman QB IN HIS DORM ROOM:

http://www.cbssports.com/images/collegefootball/joshrosendormroomhottub.jpg

As you have no doubt seen in updates, the portable hot tub is now out of the dorm room.... wasn't in compliance with housing regulations.

BigWayne
10-27-2015, 05:42 PM
As you have no doubt seen in updates, the portable hot tub is now out of the dorm room... wasn't in compliance with housing regulations.

All I've got to say is that I am really glad we didn't have twitter and instagram when I was at Duke. I recall quite a few instances of non-compliance.

cato
10-27-2015, 06:04 PM
Tech's 20 play, 95 yard TD drive in the second half took 9:46, and was the longest drive (timewise) of Beamer's career at Tech, which goes back to 1835 I believe.

Along with the other amazing things from the game, I am amazed that Duke hung on to win after that drive. Tech was dominating in the trenches, and getting big plays when needed. That sure felt like the turning point in a moral victory, aka defeat.

Bob Green
10-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Cut said Sirk throwing downfield was partly a result of VT's defensove strategy--which doesn't give up many checkdowns-and Sirk's maturation. "He's much more poised and mature. He's definitely improved."

Sirk was amazing in Blacksburg. Yes, he missed on three deep routes, but he persevered and led the team to a hard fought victory. I'm looking forward to watching the maturation process continue.

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2015, 08:15 PM
Sirk was amazing in Blacksburg. Yes, he missed on three deep routes, but he persevered and led the team to a hard fought victory. I'm looking forward to watching the maturation process continue.
I was thinking about this recently and pondering some of the recent disappointments expressed in Sirk. What is the reason that a QB comes to play for coach Cut? One major reason...to get better and learn from a master coach at that position. Number One is doing a very good job of that and I think we've seen proof every game this season.

duke blue brewcrew
10-27-2015, 10:49 PM

I was late to comment in the post-game thread, but I'll share some similar thoughts here. I thought Sirk was decisive with his throws, no matter what length the pass was. I felt like his accuracy on the short and intermediate throws was outstanding. Yes, the deep ball is still being refined, but it's getting better as we've seen. Sirk's a bull in a china shop, with excellent speed on the run. I feel he has great tools for the position, and it appears he commands great respect from his teammates in the huddle. He displays a will to win that is critical for his position as the leader of the Duke offense. When you consider the stats he put up, and account for the level of competition, I would say this is Sirk's best game yet as a Blue Devil. It would seem he's heading in the right direction, at the right time of year. I hope it continues.

budwom
10-28-2015, 09:06 AM
The TD throw in the fourth OT was absolutely perfect. I'm hopeful.
Meanwhile the Hurricanes have all sorts of stuff going on. Golden got fired, the star QB got concussed and hasn't practiced yet, and yesterday
the mom of star CB Artie Burns died of a heart attack.

OldPhiKap
10-28-2015, 09:43 AM
The TD throw in the fourth OT was absolutely perfect. I'm hopeful.
Meanwhile the Hurricanes have all sorts of stuff going on. Golden got fired, the star QB got concussed and hasn't practiced yet, and yesterday
the mom of star CB Artie Burns died of a heart attack.

Wow, very sorry to hear about Burn's mom. Prayers for the family and friends.