PDA

View Full Version : Football Coaching Carousel 2015

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Butch wants to be back in Miami.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article41512191.html

Olympic Fan
10-27-2015, 09:56 PM
Think of the big time jobs that are open ALREADY:

Southern Cal (one of the sport's blue bloods)
Maryland (with the Under Armor connection, a ton of potential)
South Carolina (nobody has more local support)
Miami (the best program in the country in the 80s and 90s)

A bunch of other power five jobs are likely to be open:
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Iowa State
Kansas

Also, Central Florida is already open ...

It's going to be a wild offseason

BigWayne
10-28-2015, 11:08 AM
In a sad development, the Minnesota job is opened up by the retirement of Jerry Kill due to health reasons. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13990629/jerry-kill-retires-minnesota-golden-gophers-football-coach)

Mal
10-28-2015, 06:50 PM
In a sad development, the Minnesota job is opened up by the retirement of Jerry Kill due to health reasons. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13990629/jerry-kill-retires-minnesota-golden-gophers-football-coach)

Awful news. Very hard for this Minnesota expat to hear this morning. Hopefully this helps Kill's health. He's all class, all heart and a battler who deserves to rest and live a long post-football life. But I admit I'm little sad for the program, and sad that I won't get to see him finish what he started there. Having both of the college teams I care about go from moribund to relevant over the last several years has been really fun.

Re: the subject matter of the thread, it's probably 50/50 this doesn't actually open up the job. It's a decent bet Tracy Claeys will end up with the permanent job in the offseason or sooner. It's already been a somewhat disappointing season so far, and the schedule doesn't get any easier, but Claeys has been with Kill for decades and did fine in an interim capacity a few years ago when a flare-up in Kill's epilepsy temporarily sidelined him. If the University wants to send a message of continuity and reassure recruits that the program they bought into is still there, just less one guy, then he's not a bad choice. Especially given the length of the list of seats on this season's carousel when it's not even November yet. After USC and Miami and anyone else ahead of MN in the pecking order (the other USC, VT if Beamer retires, maybe Maryland just based on the $$$, probably another one or two shoes yet to drop) are done, I could see the Gophers deciding they may as well stick with Claeys. It's a lot more attractive job than it was 5 years ago, so I could imagine them trying to lure someone with a bit of a name who wants a bigger platform, too, but MN's got an interim AD after the sudden Norwood Teague resignation, and I don't know how much she's going to want to mess with things.

[Oly - add Illinois to your list of likelies]

Acymetric
10-28-2015, 07:51 PM

That is truly awful. Hope his doctors are able to find a way to better manage his illness and that he is able to enjoy the rest of his years as best he can.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Mark Richt out at UGa per several sources. Think he goes back to his alma mater, Miami?

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-29-2015, 12:52 PM
At last report, Les Miles still has a job after a week of speculation (media) and silence (Joe Alleva).

OldPhiKap
11-29-2015, 12:54 PM
Mike London apparently "resigned" today as well.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2015, 12:55 PM
At last report, Les Miles still has a job after a week of speculation (media) and silence (Joe Alleva).

He's not quite dead yet.

He's mostly-dead.

(Not to mix lines from two of my favorite movies).

arnie
11-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Mark Richt out at UGa per several sources. Think he goes back to his alma mater, Miami?

Fedora at good fit at Georgia?

sagegrouse
11-29-2015, 01:21 PM

Les Miles's retention was confirmed by AD Alleva. He had become a sympathetic figure, making his firing harmful to the LSU program. Also, the $15 million buyout, which was funded by boosters, would have set a dangerous precedent and raised the risk that the La. legislature may have denied funds for future buyouts. Moreover, Jimbo Fisher apparently said "no."

OldPhiKap
11-29-2015, 01:26 PM

Interesting question. I think he would be, although he has a ton of talent at UNC right now --probably more than UGA really (although Georgia has a great QB commit, some worry he may bolt if Richt is gone). If the hat thinks the hammer is coming to the dump, though, he may look at the job if any interest is shown in Athens.

I would think UGa could offer a lot more money than UNC -- football is religion in Georgia, and it is the undisputed king of sports there. (No offense to their women's gymnastics which is also consistently top shelf).

dairedevil
11-29-2015, 01:54 PM

Sources say UGA to try for Kirby Smart. Don't imagine they are the only one.

Olympic Fan
11-29-2015, 04:20 PM
If Fedora bolts UNC, it's evidence that he knows the hammer is going to fall and that he's been lying to prospects all summer/fall.

If he really thinks UNC football will be unscathed by the NCAA he stays. He has a ton of talent returning and they think Mitch Tubinsky is a better long-term QB prospect than Marquise Williams.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2015, 04:29 PM
If Fedora bolts UNC, it's evidence that he knows the hammer is going to fall and that he's been lying to prospects all summer/fall.

If he really thinks UNC football will be unscathed by the NCAA he stays. He has a ton of talent returning and they think Mitch Tubinsky is a better long-term QB prospect than Marquise Williams.

Agree with all of this, and they nave Chaz in the pipeline too. A good Gamecock friend thinks USC is considering the hat as well.

DU82
11-29-2015, 07:04 PM
Add Rutgers to the mix. Fired both HC Flood and AD Hermann. Had an AD in waiting, Patrick Dobbs. To cross into an off-topic thread, Dobbs had been working for Gov. Chris Christie as state ombudsman.

sagegrouse
11-29-2015, 07:15 PM

Now exactly what is it that makes Fedora a hot property and sought by big-time football powers? Here's his record at Southern Mississippi and UNC:

Year Sch. G W L T Pct
2008 USM 13 7 6 0 0.538
2009 USM 13 7 6 0 0.538
2010 USM 13 8 5 0 0.615
2011 USM 14 12 2 0 0.857
2012 UNC 12 8 4 0 0.667
2013 UNC 13 7 6 0 0.538
2014 UNC 13 6 7 0 0.462
2015 UNC 12 11 1 0 0.917

One season with fewer than four losses in eight seasons as a head coach. His record at UNC is 32-18, compared with Cut's 32-20 over the same period.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Now exactly what is it that makes Fedora a hot property and sought by big-time football powers? Here's his record at Southern Mississippi and UNC:

Year Sch. G W L T Pct
2008 USM 13 7 6 0 0.538
2009 USM 13 7 6 0 0.538
2010 USM 13 8 5 0 0.615
2011 USM 14 12 2 0 0.857
2012 UNC 12 8 4 0 0.667
2013 UNC 13 7 6 0 0.538
2014 UNC 13 6 7 0 0.462
2015 UNC 12 11 1 0 0.917

One season with fewer than four losses in eight seasons as a head coach. His record at UNC is 32-18, compared with Cut's 32-20 over the same period.

Flash, pan.

I agree, his team's have horribly underperformed the last few years before this one. No doubting, though, that he has built a pretty solid team this year. I think UNC has more talent than most of the teams that might come knocking.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Flash, pan.

I agree, his team's have horribly underperformed the last few years before this one. No doubting, though, that he has built a pretty solid team this year. I think UNC has more talent than most of the teams that might come knocking.
Some coaches can build a team through great recruiting, but get so so results on the field. Some coaches can coach a team to play at the top for a year, maybe two, yet can't maintain and build. Fedora may be the latter. If he moves on, so be it.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2015, 08:59 PM
Some coaches can build a team through great recruiting, but get so so results on the field. Some coaches can coach a team to play at the top for a year, maybe two, yet can't maintain and build. Fedora may be the latter. If he moves on, so be it.

I'd like to see the hat move on, and the hammer drop.

Does Fedora have a big poison-pill buy-out?

lotusland
11-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Les Miles's retention was confirmed by AD Alleva. He had become a sympathetic figure, making his firing harmful to the LSU program. Also, the $15 million buyout, which was funded by boosters, would have set a dangerous precedent and raised the risk that the La. legislature may have denied funds for future buyouts. Moreover, Jimbo Fisher apparently said "no."

Doesn't he also have the top recruiting class coming in next year? Even talking about canning him before those kids are on campus is insanity. If you have a great recruiter who's not a great game coach, why not just be hire better coordinators?

brevity
11-29-2015, 10:38 PM

Year Sch. G W L T Pct
2008 USM 13 7 6 0 0.538
2009 USM 13 7 6 0 0.538
2010 USM 13 8 5 0 0.615
2011 USM 14 12 2 0 0.857
2012 UNC 12 8 4 0 0.667
2013 UNC 13 7 6 0 0.538
2014 UNC 13 6 7 0 0.462
2015 UNC 12 11 1 0 0.917

If you look closely at these numbers, you'll notice a pattern. Fedora gets his best season with a program and then leaves.

Seriously though, if he can keep a team in bowl contention for the first three seasons and win 11-12 games in the fourth, then he's very marketable. Maybe not to Georgia or South Carolina, but somewhere with money and lower expectations.

lotusland
11-30-2015, 05:45 AM
If you look closely at these numbers, you'll notice a pattern. Fedora gets his best season with a program and then leaves.

Seriously though, if he can keep a team in bowl contention for the first three seasons and win 11-12 games in the fourth, then he's very marketable. Maybe not to Georgia or South Carolina, but somewhere with money and lower expectations.

Fedora is reportedly (fan board insider) in South Carolina's top 4. I think they tried for Herman but may have whiffed. Kirby Smart is probably going to UGA.
Fuente to VT so, if SC can't double down on Herman then Hat may be the guy. Fedora supposedly expressed interest in either UGA or SC. Richt would also probably be a candidate if he doesn't accept "Assistsnt AD" at UGA which should be known today.

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Interesting question. I think he would be, although he has a ton of talent at UNC right now --probably more than UGA really (although Georgia has a great QB commit, some worry he may bolt if Richt is gone). If the hat thinks the hammer is coming to the dump, though, he may look at the job if any interest is shown in Athens.

I would think UGa could offer a lot more money than UNC -- football is religion in Georgia, and it is the undisputed king of sports there. (No offense to their women's gymnastics which is also consistently top shelf).
My guess is that he would be more honest with himself than he is with recruits.

Potato Head
11-30-2015, 09:01 AM
If I were a UNC-Chapel Hill fan I'm thrilled about the possibility of Fedora leaving and Chizik taking over. So much so that I'm maybe hoping it somehow happens before this weekend. Also, if I were the AD of a head coachless program I'm looking at Chizik ahead of Fedora ten times out of ten.

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2015, 09:20 AM
If I were a UNC-Chapel Hill fan I'm thrilled about the possibility of Fedora leaving and Chizik taking over.
As a Duke fan, I hope they both get hired elsewhere.

superdave
11-30-2015, 10:54 AM
A friend sent me this to track openings and candidates -

http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2015/november/27/coaching-carousel-big-board

devildeac
12-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Richt to miami

OldPhiKap
12-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Richt to miami

Our division just got much harder. And if that five star QB he recruited follows him to Miami, it could be a long few years.

UGa did Richt wrong. Dude can recruit.

PDDuke85
12-04-2015, 01:08 PM
add Ruffin McNeill from ECU to the list of the recently unemployed.

CameronBornAndBred
12-04-2015, 01:35 PM
add Ruffin McNeill from ECU to the list of the recently unemployed.
That is a really disappointing firing, he was one of those coaches that I thought was doing things the right way, and he did it while winning. After two building seasons, he posted records of 8-5, 10-3 (most ever wins for ECU), and 8-5. This year the program fumbled and went 5-7, so they kicked him out. That is truly sad.

left_hook_lacey
12-04-2015, 01:50 PM
That is a really disappointing firing, he was one of those coaches that I thought was doing things the right way, and he did it while winning. After two building seasons, he posted records of 8-5, 10-3 (most ever wins for ECU), and 8-5. This year the program fumbled and went 5-7, so they kicked him out. That is truly sad.

And I'll add that it's a bit confusing also. He also added spanking UNC and beating VT to his resume. That's two things ECU had marked on its bucket list for a while.

Truly a head-scratching fire, unless they have another iron in the fire somewhere.

blazindw
12-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Just announced: Bronco Mendenhall will leave BYU for UVA.

CDu
12-04-2015, 05:41 PM

Man, the Coastal just got a lot better in the past week.

luvdahops
12-04-2015, 05:49 PM

You got that right. Coupled with Narduzzi at Pitt, that makes 4 very strong HC additions in the last 2 hiring cycles. Hopefully, the Cheaters will get hammered by the NCAA and Georgia Tech's 2014 will continue to look like a dead cat bounce for a program/system in decline.

Tripping William
12-04-2015, 06:55 PM

Surprisingly, the BYU faithful seem not to be too upset. He probably is the Mark Richt of the Intermountain West. That said, the adjustment from BYU to UVa (culturally and, especially in recruiting), will not be an easy one. Bronco had success in Provo, no question, but he's also a rather odd duck and I'm not convinced he'll play all that well in Hooville. Guess we'll see.

lotusland
12-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Gamecock boards say Muschamp is their guy. Most are not thrilled.

OldPhiKap
12-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Gamecock boards say Muschamp is their guy. Most are not thrilled.

Yeah, I have heard a lot of moaning about this all day. "Spurrier told them two months ago to get a coach, and the best they can get is a guy who failed at Florida? A Dawg, no less?"

arnie
12-04-2015, 08:12 PM
And I'll add that it's a bit confusing also. He also added spanking UNC and beating VT to his resume. That's two things ECU had marked on its bucket list for a while.

Truly a head-scratching fire, unless they have another iron in the fire somewhere.

I think many ECU fans thought Ruffin's OC was primarily responsible for ECU success. OC left for Oklahoma last year, and ECU plummets. Similar to Duke firing Red Wilson when Spurrier left the 1st time.

gocanes0506
12-04-2015, 08:13 PM

He cared more about beating ACC teams than conference games. You could see it by the teams play.

He's an anemic in game coach. Blew 2 games last season and at least 2 this season with poor coaching

The two years of 8 wins and the one with ten were by far the three easiest schedules since RPI became a thing. He played 8 teams that ended the season with winning record and last to 6 of them. The ten win season CUSA was the easiest conference in FBS football

Like the AD said its about quality wins not just quantity. No division titles in 6 years and lost to 80% of the teams that ended the year with a winning record

gocanes0506
12-12-2015, 07:21 PM
ECU is interviewing Duke's OC for HC opening

OldPhiKap
12-12-2015, 09:13 PM
ECU is interviewing Duke's OC for HC opening

Scottie?

devildeac
12-12-2015, 09:19 PM
Scottie?

Yep:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-OC-Scottie-Montgomery-involved-in-ECU-search-41982777

from the twitterverse:

"Mentioned potential wildcard 3rd candidate at ECU…hearing Duke OC Scottie Montgomery could still be involved. More-> http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop"

From the Fayetteville Observer:

"The new name surfacing Saturday was that of Duke offensive coordinator Scottie Montgomery. Montgomery, 37, emerged as a candidate only in the last two to three days but became the frontrunner after Hoke apparently dropped out of contention."

OldPhiKap
12-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Yep:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-OC-Scottie-Montgomery-involved-in-ECU-search-41982777

from the twitterverse:

"Mentioned potential wildcard 3rd candidate at ECU…hearing Duke OC Scottie Montgomery could still be involved. More-> http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop"

Wish him luck if it comes to fruition. Great guy, great Duke man.