PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke Vs Miami (10/31 7:00 ESPNU)

Pages : [1] 2

CameronBornAndBred
10-25-2015, 08:24 PM
The U will have an interim coach on the sidelines.

http://news.yahoo.com/miami-fires-al-golden-worst-loss-program-history-223607081--spt.html

Bob Green
10-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Thanks for starting the game thread! It is time to focus on the 'Canes.

dukejim1
10-25-2015, 09:14 PM
Thanks for starting the game thread! It is time to focus on the 'Canes.

I expect Miami to rally around interim coach ala Ted Roof. But if QB is unable to play it may be too big of a task for the Hurricanes.

Jim3k
10-25-2015, 09:31 PM
Consulting Services Available: Wire Spurrier, Columbia SC. Have passing knowledge of passing game. Will Travel.

devildeac
10-26-2015, 10:33 AM
Defense sucks (kidding, kidding). Down to 9 and behind BC, NCSU and Clemson.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Scoring defense took a "beating," too, down to #6.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

Offense sucks (even more kidding). Down to 54. (Here is where/when my memory fails as I thought we were around 40 last wk:confused: :o .)

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21/p2

Still, pretty happy places to be at this stage in the season;) .

uh_no
10-26-2015, 10:43 AM

Offense sucks (even more kidding). Down to 54. (Here is where/when my memory fails as I thought we were around 40 last wk:confused: :o .)

do the stats take into account that almost half the points were scored in overtime? If not, that sucks. We need adjusted defensive efficiency!

devildeac
10-26-2015, 10:55 AM
do the stats take into account that almost half the points were scored in overtime? If not, that sucks. We need adjusted defensive efficiency!

I have no clue if adjusted stats are included, but I'd bet a (very) small amount of OPK's money the answer is no. I thought the same thing as that's a lot of points to allow. Heck, we should get 2 games of "credit" for that one, especially considering each possession starts just outside the red zone and we gave up an additional ~75 yards in total offense (I'm not going to look up how many yards allowed on each OT possession so I guess-timated). And yes, I realized this rolls both ways but we're a defensive power now;).

Thurber Whyte
10-26-2015, 11:57 AM
Unfortunately, It appears that they do. The NCAA site shows a total of 99 points across 7 games or 14.1 points per game. That is the sum of the final scores for our opponents:http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22666 If only the points scored in regulation are considered, then it would be a total of 80 or 11.4 per game, good enough for #3 assuming none of the other teams in the immediate vicinity had their stats affected by overtime games.

Thurber Whyte
10-26-2015, 12:12 PM
To take this further, if we subtract Virginia Tech's offensive yardage in overtime, then Duke has given up 1912 yards for the year or 272.9 yards per game. With the same caveat, this would be good enough for #6.

http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/stats/2015-16/football/Duke_FB_Stats.pdf?SPSID=22666&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200
http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/stats/2015-16/football/du1024.htm

On the bright side, our offensive ranking ought to be skewed upward by the overtime stats. Yep, that's us: a fun and gun style of offense.

Olympic Fan
10-26-2015, 12:16 PM

The defense might be fourth in the ACC in yardage allowed, but it is second in the ACC in points allowed.

Also, with his big game in Blacksburg, Thomas Sirk recaptured the ACC lead in total offense. He's 11 yards per game ahead of Clemson's DeShaun Watson.

Last week we were No. 62 in total offense. So we actually improved in that category.

The truth is that the overtime format warps the numbers a good bit -- especially scoring defense. We gave up 24 points in the game ... and then another 19 in overtime. Had Martin just hit that field goal late in regulation, we would be giving up 11.3 points a game, instead of 14.1. That would make a big difference -- we'd still be third nationally.

The same applies to our other rankings -- our offensive rankings are warped in our favor because of the overtimes, while all our defensive numbers are hurt.

BTW: Thomas Sirk -- with his big game in Blacksburg -- just recaptured the lead in the ACC total offense race. He's averaging 11 yards per game more than Clemson's Deshaun Watson.

uh_no
10-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Unfortunately, It appears that they do. The NCAA site shows a total of 99 points across 7 games or 14.1 points per game. That is the sum of the final scores for our opponents:http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22666 If only the points scored in regulation are considered, then it would be a total of 80 or 11.4 per game, good enough for #3 assuming none of the other teams in the immediate vicinity had their stats affected by overtime games.

sigh. overtime: screwing up fantasy football since forever.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-26-2015, 12:40 PM
Jeremy Cash performed really well in the VT game. Please take a few minutes to vote for him for Player of the Week for the Lott Trophy. He wins only if we vote enough to beat his competition. Vote early! Vote often! Vote until 9A PST Tuesday. Oct.27.
http://lottimpacttrophy.org/vote/

Olympic Fan
10-26-2015, 12:41 PM
I've seen a lot of posts on this board (not necessarily in this thread) that talk about Miami's QB Brad Kaaya missing Saturday's game.

And, I agree, that would be a HUGE deal if he can't play.

But I'm not so sure his status is clear. I've been reading everything I can find on line and I haven't seen anything suggesting Kaaya is out this Saturday. The followup on his injury appears to have been lost in the uproar over Golden's dismissal.

None of the postgame stories actually confirm that he had a concussion (although they suggest the left with concussion-like symptoms). And there was no followup Monday morning -- Miami has a Sunday night phone teleconference with the head coach, but that may have been cancelled in the wake of Golden's firings.

They do have a Tuesday afternoon press conference (at the same time as Duke has its weekly press conference). I expect some clarification then (if not before).

The point is that even if it was a concussion that doesn't necessarily mean Kaaya is out Saturday. Depends on the severity of the injury. I know the fact that he left the game against Clemson and never returned looks bad ... but it was 35-0 when he went out. It would have been easy to say, this game's over, let's not risk further injury.

Miami has the best passing game in the ACC with a healthy Kaaya ... their running game has struggled against good teams. If he's out, Duke should be a big favorite Saturday. If he's healthy and able to go, the game looks a lot closer -- even with the coaching change. Who knows how the players will react to that?

devildeac
10-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Last week we were No. 62 in total offense. So we actually improved in that category.

The truth is that the overtime format warps the numbers a good bit -- especially scoring defense. We gave up 24 points in the game ... and then another 19 in overtime. Had Martin just hit that field goal late in regulation, we would be giving up 11.3 points a game, instead of 14.1. That would make a big difference -- we'd still be third nationally.

The same applies to our other rankings -- our offensive rankings are warped in our favor because of the overtimes, while all our defensive numbers are hurt.

BTW: Thomas Sirk -- with his big game in Blacksburg -- just recaptured the lead in the ACC total offense race. He's averaging 11 yards per game more than Clemson's Deshaun Watson.

I knew someone would remember better than me. Thanks.

Must have really sucked for the defensive coordinators after this game:o:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Arkansas_vs._Kentucky_football_game

And the coaching staff of the losing squad in this game probably should have never been allowed on the sidelines again:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1292763-classic-sec-football-arkansas-tops-ole-miss-in-2001-in-7-overtimes

;)

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Miami has the best passing game in the ACC with a healthy Kaaya ... their running game has struggled against good teams. If he's out, Duke should be a big favorite Saturday. If he's healthy and able to go, the game looks a lot closer -- even with the coaching change. Who knows how the players will react to that?
Miami has tons of talent on paper, and those guys are coming off the worst defeat in program history with an interim coach. Huge scary situation to be in for fans. I know our coaches will have our team ready, but emotions like that can be so hard to prepare for. Lots on the line for both teams.
I'm happy we have the defense that we do.

tux
10-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Miami has tons of talent on paper, and those guys are coming off the worst defeat in program history with an interim coach. Huge scary situation to be in for fans. I know our coaches will have our team ready, but emotions like that can be so hard to prepare for. Lots on the line for both teams.
I'm happy we have the defense that we do.

And Duke has to prevent a mental let-down after becoming bowl eligible by winning an emotional and draining game last weekend. Not to mention avoiding looking ahead to UNC the following week. The game this weekend will be a character test for both programs. If Kaaya can't go, Duke will be catching a huge break.

In my mind, how Miami plays this weekend depends on how Golden was viewed in the locker room. If the players liked playing for him, they may not come out with much additional energy. If they were happy to see him go, they may come out loaded for bear... it will be interesting to see how the betting line moves this week.

nyesq83
10-26-2015, 02:13 PM
VT game Time of Possession - I believe the offensive (pun intended) play calling and clock management punished our defense late in the game - by not milking the play/game clock longer before snapping the ball, we gave the ball back to VT far too quickly, as others have suggested.

I hope this will be a point of emphasis (among others) for correction against Miami.

If the Miami players were not exerting themselves much later in the Clemson game, or if a lot of the first line players were rested in the second half, Miami's first string will have fresh legs AND a fresh attitude.

Apparently the interim coach for the Canes is a strong recruiter, so the players must believe in him.

But we all believe in Cut and Co. WE ARE DUKE!

Olympic Fan
10-26-2015, 05:06 PM
interesting note -- Duke has won eight straight October games.

The last October loss was to Florida State on Oct. 27, 2012. Since then we beat Navy, Virginia and Virginia Tech in 2013; Georgia Tech and Virginia in 2014 (two open dates in October that year); and Boston College, Army and Virginia Tech this year. The Miami game will be our last October game until 2016.

BTW: We are 7-2 in November over the last two seasons.

oldnavy
10-26-2015, 05:41 PM
I've seen a lot of posts on this board (not necessarily in this thread) that talk about Miami's QB Brad Kaaya missing Saturday's game.

And, I agree, that would be a HUGE deal if he can't play.But I'm not so sure his status is clear. I've been reading everything I can find on line and I haven't seen anything suggesting Kaaya is out this Saturday. The followup on his injury appears to have been lost in the uproar over Golden's dismissal.

None of the postgame stories actually confirm that he had a concussion (although they suggest the left with concussion-like symptoms). And there was no followup Monday morning -- Miami has a Sunday night phone teleconference with the head coach, but that may have been cancelled in the wake of Golden's firings.

They do have a Tuesday afternoon press conference (at the same time as Duke has its weekly press conference). I expect some clarification then (if not before).

The point is that even if it was a concussion that doesn't necessarily mean Kaaya is out Saturday. Depends on the severity of the injury. I know the fact that he left the game against Clemson and never returned looks bad ... but it was 35-0 when he went out. It would have been easy to say, this game's over, let's not risk further injury.

I would never wish a head injury on anyone especially since my own child has been dealing with post concussion issues for several years. SO, I hope that if there is ANY doubt about his health they hold him out!! It just isn't worth it!

But if he is deemed GTG, then we should pressure him as much as possible, hopefully forcing him into bad decisions!

OldPhiKap
10-26-2015, 05:51 PM
I would never wish a head injury on anyone especially since my on child has been dealing with post concussion issues for several years. SO, I hope that if there is ANY doubt about his health they hold him out!! It just isn't worth it!

But if he is deemed GTG, then we should pressure him as much as possible, hopefully forcing him into bad decisions!

No word on his availability yet AFAIK, no line in Vegas out yet either.

Kaaya did tweet that Golden was one of the few guys who believed in him, and that "this hurts." Seems like a solid kid as best I can tell.

Hope he is healthy and plays, but agree with oldnavy that if there is a chance of some lingering issue I hope they hold him out.

wilson
10-26-2015, 05:57 PM
...if he is deemed GTG, then we should pressure him as much as possible, hopefully forcing him into bad decisions!Our defense has done a really good job all year of penetrating into the backfield. We rank #21 nationally in tackles for loss, with 6 of the teams ranked ahead of us having played 8 games to our 7, so effectively we're in the top 15 nationally in that stat.
However, I noticed on Saturday that we seemed to miss more tackles than usual. In a number of cases, it was simply a nice job by a VPI player to evade the defender, but there were a number of other times when our guys seemed not to wrap the ball-carrier up completely, to over-pursue, etc. A lot of these moments were admittedly tough open-field plays, but our guys have already made a lot of those tough plays this year, so I was a little surprised to see VPI guys slip free so many times. Many of these plays still turned out to be hard-earned 2 or 3-yard gains for the Hokies, but I'd rather see -3 than +3.
I hope Kaaya is ok, but even if he does play, I suspect he won't be 100%, and ringing his bell a time or two could pay dividends with regard to containing a Miami offense that has a good bit of talent in the backfield. It also bodes well that Miami's offensive line has struggled some this year, so we figure to find some penetration against the 'Canes and I'd like to see the Devils capitalize.

BigWayne
10-26-2015, 05:59 PM
No word on his availability yet AFAIK, no line in Vegas out yet either.

Probably have to wait for the Thursday injury reports. They'll probably delay and deflect until then.

Bob Green
10-26-2015, 06:20 PM
It also bodes well that Miami's offensive line has struggled some this year, so we figure to find some penetration against the 'Canes and I'd like to see the Devils capitalize.

I'm sure Defensive Coordinator Jim Knowles will formulate a game plan which blitzes often and from different directions. A formula for success is to stop the run, force passing situations, mix up coverage schemes to create confusion and apply heat on the quarterback. Having said all that, Kaaya is a smart and talented quarterback so the defense isn't going to come out on top every 3rd and long.

Probably have to wait for the Thursday injury reports. They'll probably delay and deflect until then.

As they should.

loran16
10-26-2015, 10:32 PM
First of all, without certainly over Kaaya's status (and Al Golden), there is no Vegas line yet for this game. In addition, the below information may not be correct with these changes. But it's what we and the coaching staff has to work with.

For a scouting perspective on Miami, with film, here's VT blog The Key Play's preview of Miami from 2 weeks ago: http://www.thekeyplay.com/virginia-tech-football/2015/10/10633/miami-preview-im-no-meteorologist-heres-my-hurricanes-forecast

Now statistics - a full statistical profile of Miami can be found here: http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2015-miami-fl-advanced-statistical-profile

Miami's statistical profile overall:
Advanced Stats: Sagarin Predictor: #60, Football Outsiders' S&P+: #59, Football Outsiders' FEI: #64, FO's F/+ (a combination of the prior two metrics): #62.
For comparison, Duke is #29 Sagarin, #15 S&P+, #29 FEI, #21 F/+

Miami ranks as a below average team this year, whereas Duke is at the edge of the top 25 by basically every metric. And this is at home. No matter if Kaaya plays, Duke will be favored for sure. But let's go in depth here:

Miami's Offense: #49 per S&P+
Rushing: #95 per S&P+
Passing: #21 per S&P+

If you want to know why Miami's status is so dependent upon Kaaya, it's not just that he's amazing, it's that their running attack is bad. Sophomore Joseph Yearby is their top back, getting over 50% of their carries, and he's pretty solid - 5.3 Yards Per Carry. He's no McMillian, but he's definitely a threat. Of course, after him there's a drop off. Their #2 back, Mark Walton, averages only 3.7 YPC (not good at all) and the #3 back only has 20 carries on the year (6.2 YPC is great, but again, tiny sample). Some of these numbers are depressed because Miami has played VT, FSU and Clemson already, which is brutal, but still, our run D is very good and should be able to shut this down.

Again, Miami uses the run as their second option: They're 108th in run rate on standard downs and 100th in running rate in passing downs. Unlike prior opponents, the pass is their bread and butter. And they're pretty damn good at passing. If Kaaya is out, and I expect him to be (he has no business playing after the head injury, but football coaches have been known to do stupid things), freshman Malik Rosier was the guy who came in vs Clemson. Rosier isn't a highly ranked recruit (3-star), and a redshirt frosh, so one would expect him to be a big dropoff, but again, we don't have much knowledge on him.

Kaaya on the other hand, is terrific. A 6'4 QB, who completes 61.1% of his throws this year with 10 TD and 2 INTs, he's damn good (and again, those numbers are mostly against ridiculous defenses).

Whoever is in at QB will have some damn solid weapons. As pointed out in the above linked film breakdown, Miami's WRs are pretty damn tall, which make them difficult to defend against. Their top receiver, Rashawn Scott, was injured in the Clemson game and his availability is unknown. He has received by far the most of Miami's targets - he's been targetted 59 times while the #2 guy has been targetted only 38 times.

Miami's other receiving options should be familiar to Duke fans. Herb Waters is a senior with 38 targets, who averages over 10 yards per target. Stacey Coley is extremely quick and also averages just under 10 Yards per target (9.9). After those two its more of an assorted mishmash of receivers - The RB Yearby has 23 targets, then both 6'4 tight ends get about 2 targets per game. These guys will be a test on our secondary.

Note: Miami's offensive line isn't good at run blocking, but they are great in pass blocking - 9th best in adjusted sack rate. Getting to their QB is tough unless you're Clemson. We are not Clemson.

---------

Miami's Defense:
Rush D: #123 S&P+
Pass D: #75 S&P+

Miami's D is yet again (for like the 3rd straight year) pretty bad. This is basically an equivalent defense to Army, although a bit different - whereas Army was godawful against a passing attack but merely bad vs the rush, Miami is godawful vs the Rush and merely bad vs the pass. The Running backs who couldn't do anything vs VT should be able to move the ball against the Canes, and Sirk will especially do that. This is the first power 5 opponent Duke has faced all year without a good D, so good Sirk should return here.

Conclusion:
Duke should be able to move the ball pretty well on Miami. Miami will likely struggle to do so on Duke, but will get some drives off their passing offense. And we're at home. We should win this one pretty handily. But we can't be cocky - a bad game by our offense could allow the Miami O to steal one. They have to capitalize on a weak opponent.

subzero02
10-27-2015, 01:02 AM
This is a dangerous game... miami has talent and teams with talent have been known to rally after getting rid of an ineffective coach ( southern cal and another miami team, the dolphins, come to mind). As of now, because of so much uncertainty coming from the Miami camp, many Vegas casinos don't have a spread for this game.
http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

BigWayne
10-28-2015, 02:24 AM
Kaaya didn't practice Tuesday. (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-hurricanes/fl-miami-hurricanes-news-1028-20151027-story.html)

subzero02
10-28-2015, 03:24 AM
Kaaya didn't practice Tuesday. (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-hurricanes/fl-miami-hurricanes-news-1028-20151027-story.html)

It really looks like he's going to miss the game due to the concussion he suffered against Clemson. Vegasinsider lists Kaaya as doubtful; there is still no line on the game. According to the article linked by bigwayne, as part of the concussion protocol, the coaching staff didnt allow him to watch film on Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
10-28-2015, 07:58 AM
It really looks like he's going to miss the game due to the concussion he suffered against Clemson. Vegasinsider lists Kaaya as doubtful; there is still no line on the game. According to the article linked by bigwayne, as part of the concussion protocol, the coaching staff didnt allow him to watch film on Duke.
And from the article, other doubtfuls...

Wide receiver Rashawn Scott aslo missed practice after taking a shot to the shoulder area Saturday. Running back Trayone Gray (foot) was wearing a yellow limited-contact jersey, and CB Artie Burns missed practice due to the passing of his mother.
Sorry to hear that about Burns' mom, condolences to him.

budwom
10-28-2015, 09:11 AM
yeah, tough times for those kids.

Rosier, the back up to Kaaya, is a redshirt frosh who had no other major offers. If Kaaya sits out (seems prudent) our
chances improve vastly...he's a terrific QB, and clearly the star of that team by a wide margin.

oldnavy
10-28-2015, 09:40 AM

Does anyone have insight into why he can't watch game film? Is that part of the concussion protocol and if so what is the reasoning behind it?

BigWayne
10-28-2015, 11:00 AM
Does anyone have insight into why he can't watch game film? Is that part of the concussion protocol and if so what is the reasoning behind it?

http://www.traumaticbraininjury.net/how-is-your-tv-making-your-concussion-symptoms-worse/

Bob Green
10-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Kaaya did not practice on Tuesday and is most likely out against Duke:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/28/miami-qb-brad-kaaya-expected-to-be-sidelined-for-duke-game/

While there’s been nothing official yet from the school, the Miami Herald is reporting that Brad Kaaya is expected to be sidelined for this Saturday’s game against No. 22 Duke.

A post on The Devils Den says Kaaya missed practice again today. I wish him a quick (next week) and full recovery. Official injury reports are due tomorrow so we will not hear anything official until then.

jimsumner
10-28-2015, 04:10 PM
This is a dangerous game... miami has talent and teams with talent have been known to rally after getting rid of an ineffective coach ( southern cal and another miami team, the dolphins, come to mind). As of now, because of so much uncertainty coming from the Miami camp, many Vegas casinos don't have a spread for this game.

Closer to home remember how Duke did a 180 after Roof replaced Franks in mid-season?

budwom
10-28-2015, 04:25 PM
Closer to home remember how Duke did a 180 after Roof replaced Franks in mid-season?

Yes, and shortly thereafter it became a 360.

OldPhiKap
10-28-2015, 04:32 PM
Miami is a very proud program, and rightfully so. I would fully expect that they intend to come here and take out frustrations from the Clemson game and show everyone that the Clemson game was a fluke -- regardless of who the coach is.

This may well be the most fired-up group we play all year. Certainly a good preview of both Pitt and UNCheat. Buckle up the chin straps, boys, this one is going to be aggressive.

duke79
10-28-2015, 04:33 PM

LOL, LOL.........very funny.......but also very harsh !!

CameronBornAndBred
10-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Kaaya did not practice on Tuesday and is most likely out against Duke:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/28/miami-qb-brad-kaaya-expected-to-be-sidelined-for-duke-game/

A post on The Devils Den says Kaaya missed practice again today. I wish him a quick (next week) and full recovery. Official injury reports are due tomorrow so we will not hear anything official until then.
My guess is he gets stamped with "doubtful" vs "out".

jimsumner
10-28-2015, 04:44 PM
LOL, LOL......very funny.....but also very harsh !!

Roof turned around the program that half-season so well that he went from interim to head coach.

And never again came close to duplicating that success.

Then again, had he not failed, then maybe Duke doesn't get Cutcliffe.

But the relevant point was an example of a team changing coaches in mid-season following a humiliating defeat and righting the ship.

devildeac
10-28-2015, 05:13 PM

LOL, LOL.......very funny......but also very harsh !!

And it was on its way to an 0-36, or something approaching that...

:rolleyes:

Bob Green
10-28-2015, 06:14 PM
Duke is currently an 8 points favorite with the over/under set at 46:

Bob Green
10-28-2015, 07:05 PM
http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/10/28/hurricanes-qb-brad-kaaya-not-expected-to-play-against-duke/

Though coaches aren’t inclined to divulge strategy, it’s possible Miami might call plays to Rosier’s strengths. He’s a threat to run, unlike Kaaya. The onus will be on UM’s running game to help him. In a three-game stretch, Miami has rushed for a miserable 172 yards and one touchdown on 87 carries (1.97 per rush).

If Rosier is the quarterback, Duke's number one objective must be to defend the run in order to force passing situations. When Rosier is forced to pass Duke will mix in the blitz to bring the heat.

subzero02
10-28-2015, 08:48 PM
I have watched Miami football since the age of 7, when I moved to Florida in 1987. I really can't believe what's happened to that program. The elite high school talent is still there locally, many just get recruited out of state (louisville...clemson..etc). A lot of the NFL alums blame the current school president, Donna Shalala. Miami still has a talented roster, they just don't have the ridiculous depth that made them the most feared football program for years.

BigWayne
10-28-2015, 09:00 PM
I have watched Miami football since the age of 7, when I moved to Florida in 1987. I really can't believe what's happened to that program. The elite high school talent is still there locally, many just get recruited out of state (louisville...clemson..etc). A lot of the NFL alums blame the current school president, Donna Shalala. Miami still has a talented roster, they just don't have the ridiculous depth that made them the most feared football program for years.
She is not the president anymore, though it's a recent change. She has gone back to politics running the recently well publicized Clinton foundation. She was replaced by Julio Frenk (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julio_Frenk), who has spent most of his adult life running health related governmental entities in Mexico.

subzero02
10-29-2015, 04:26 AM
I didn't know that she had left the U... it happened in mid-august of this year.

budwom
10-29-2015, 08:47 AM
Roof turned around the program that half-season so well that he went from interim to head coach.

And never again came close to duplicating that success.

Then again, had he not failed, then maybe Duke doesn't get Cutcliffe.

But the relevant point was an example of a team changing coaches in mid-season following a humiliating defeat and righting the ship.

Just to be clear: NO ONE was going to succeed at Duke back then, long term, because our program was ridiculously underfunded and undersupported. Salaries were completely non competitive,
facilities were poor, budget was woeful. Roof and Franks had limited experience, and none as head coaches, and couldn't be expected to do much. Yes, we got an ultra short term bump
from Roof, but no one could overcome the inherent problems with the program until the administration did a genuine 180 on the football program, which they ultimately did.

Cutcliffe has been fabulous. He gets an A+ in my book....but he NEVER would have taken the job if he had been given the (non) support his predecessors got.

ramdevil
10-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Sending this thread back to the top!

If you live within 2-3 hours of Durham, please consider coming to the game. Just think how fantastic it would be if the stands were filled with Duke blue. I am not a big college football fan - but Duke & Wallace Wade stadium on a football Saturday is a great place to be - especially on a fall day. I know it's Halloween - but the kids can trick or treat early AND at the game.

Win or lose, the games are fun. Our blue devils play hard, and they believe in each other. They make great plays - the games are exciting. The games are much more fun in person - you can cheer and be heard and not scare your dog.

Plus, DUMB is great at halftime! (And there will be a Halloween "parade" on the field at halftime!).

Let's go devils, and come to the game!

-ramdevil

wilson
10-29-2015, 01:39 PM
FWIW, Duke is a unanimous pick over Miami (http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/87463/acc-week-9-game-picks-thursday-clash-has-conference-title-implications) among ESPN's ACC football prognosticators.

BigWayne
10-29-2015, 01:58 PM
Sending this thread back to the top!

If you live within 2-3 hours of Durham, please consider coming to the game. Just think how fantastic it would be if the stands were filled with Duke blue. I am not a big college football fan - but Duke & Wallace Wade stadium on a football Saturday is a great place to be - especially on a fall day. I know it's Halloween - but the kids can trick or treat early AND at the game.

Win or lose, the games are fun. Our blue devils play hard, and they believe in each other. They make great plays - the games are exciting. The games are much more fun in person - you can cheer and be heard and not scare your dog.

Plus, DUMB is great at halftime! (And there will be a Halloween "parade" on the field at halftime!).

Let's go devils, and come to the game!

-ramdevil
Over at PP they have an item up about having kids go around trick or treating at tailgate spots.

jimsumner
10-29-2015, 02:08 PM
Just to be clear: NO ONE was going to succeed at Duke back then, long term, because our program was ridiculously underfunded and undersupported. Salaries were completely non competitive,
facilities were poor, budget was woeful. Roof and Franks had limited experience, and none as head coaches, and couldn't be expected to do much. Yes, we got an ultra short term bump
from Roof, but no one could overcome the inherent problems with the program until the administration did a genuine 180 on the football program, which they ultimately did.

Cutcliffe has been fabulous. He gets an A+ in my book...but he NEVER would have taken the job if he had been given the (non) support his predecessors got.

Absolutely. Taking your point further, Duke had a number of prospective high-rollers who told Duke they were ready to contribute big bucks but only if Duke had a clear plan in place to become competitive in football.

And that process had started under Alleva, with the construction of the Yoh Building, the first sign that Duke was willing and able to play the arms-race game. Then Kevin White came in and Kevin White is very good at articulating a long-term vision to people with big checkbooks.

So, yes Cutcliffe is a huge part of a larger program upgrade.

AustinDevil
10-29-2015, 03:16 PM
FWIW, Duke is a unanimous pick over Miami (http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/87463/acc-week-9-game-picks-thursday-clash-has-conference-title-implications) among ESPN's ACC football prognosticators.

I wish we weren't a unanimous pick and I wish we weren't favored, and I'm even more sorry for Artie Burns' loss of his mother than I would be if it had happened another week of the year. I hope Duke is ready to match Miami's intensity from the first kick. This has trap game written all over it.*

*Yes, I know, cue obligatory reply/replies along the lines of "Ermagerd, if you'd told me X years ago Duke would be favored and would even have the opportunity to look at a Miami matchup as a trap game I would've peed myself..."

OldPhiKap
10-29-2015, 03:17 PM
Anyone have a link to Miami's weekly press conference (like Cut does)?

Bob Green
10-29-2015, 03:36 PM

duke79
10-29-2015, 03:55 PM

Ugh.......not my favorite combination. Whatever happened to the idea of actually wearing the SCHOOL COLORS??

BLPOG
10-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Ugh....not my favorite combination. Whatever happened to the idea of actually wearing the SCHOOL COLORS??

They must want to be spooky for Halloween.

Really though, I agree. If Duke wore blue and white every game for eternity I'd be a happy man.

duke blue brewcrew
10-29-2015, 04:09 PM

I like the combo, very aprapos for a Halloween Night game! Getting more and more nervous by the minute. This Miami game is like a box of chocolates, you just don't know what you're going to get. All Duke can do is focus on getting better and attempt to game plan for the worst case scenario. GO DUKE!

CDu
10-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Ugh.....not my favorite combination. Whatever happened to the idea of actually wearing the SCHOOL COLORS??

That ship has sailed. The kids these days like all the different uniforms. They are here to stay.

cato
10-29-2015, 04:20 PM

I like it. The more if it I see on Mr. Cash in the Miami backfield, the better.

luvdahops
10-29-2015, 04:21 PM
They must want to be spooky for Halloween.

Really though, I agree. If Duke wore blue and white every game for eternity I'd be a happy man.

Me too. Our black alternates are better looking than most, but the all-black look in general is about as fresh as a 3-day old floater

revmel53
10-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Ugh......not my favorite combination. Whatever happened to the idea of actually wearing the SCHOOL COLORS??

Older people like school colors... younger ones.... hmmm... not so much.

OldPhiKap
10-29-2015, 04:27 PM
"Fight, fight, Blue Devils,
Fight for the black on black . . . "

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-29-2015, 04:56 PM
Where's the like button?

devildeac
10-29-2015, 06:03 PM

"Black is black
I want my baby back.
It's gray, it's gray,
since she went away
Oh-oh, what can I do
'cause I-I-I-I-I,
I'm feelin' blue..."

Interesting lyrics and imagery there...

dukie’s_daughter
10-29-2015, 06:26 PM
In honor of Halloween, any chance that Miami is wearing all orange?

jimsumner
10-29-2015, 06:51 PM

Is Nike calling the shots?

Bob Green
10-29-2015, 08:40 PM

Miami will wear all white.

Tappan Zee Devil
10-29-2015, 09:19 PM
So what is their Thusrday injury report?

Is he playing?

killerleft
10-29-2015, 09:24 PM
So what is their Thusrday injury report?

Is he playing?

Kaaya is out according to ESPN.

OldPhiKap
10-29-2015, 09:29 PM
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2015/10/canes-captains-for-duke-do-not-include-kaaya-you-know-what-that-means.html

I wish Kaaya a full recovery, he is incredibly talented and fun to watch.

And FWIW, Miami SN board calling for fairly large Duke win:

http://www.stateoftheu.com/2015/10/29/9633808/matchup-of-the-week-duke-edition

Go Duke.

johnb
10-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Miami has the most football talent of any opponent this year, imho. We're rightfully favored, but our margin of error is small. Fortunately, our players must recognize how good the Miami players are.

OldPhiKap
10-29-2015, 10:27 PM
Miami has the most football talent of any opponent this year, imho. We're rightfully favored, but our margin of error is small. Fortunately, our players must recognize how good the Miami players are.

Well, Miami and the Heels I think. Both are incredibly dangerous. Extremely difficult stretch over the next nine days.

AustinDevil
10-29-2015, 10:32 PM

Must they? I hope they do, but it isn't a must. All I can say is, I hope they don't share the "we're favored" optimism in this thread, because that's a recipe for a loss.

Olympic Fan
10-30-2015, 12:18 AM
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2015/10/canes-captains-for-duke-do-not-include-kaaya-you-know-what-that-means.html

I wish Kaaya a full recovery, he is incredibly talented and fun to watch.

And FWIW, Miami SN board calling for fairly large Duke win:

http://www.stateoftheu.com/2015/10/29/9633808/matchup-of-the-week-duke-edition

Go Duke.

Just to be clear, the Miami injury report lists Kaaya as "questionable" although several Miami reporters are claiming that he won't make the trip. The fan site "State of the U" claims that the doctors won't clear him to ride in a pressurized cabin during the flight up here.

Rashawn Scott, their top receiver, was also hurt against Clemson and he was held out of contact all week (wearing a yellow jersey). But he's not even listed on the injury report.

n8lbs
10-30-2015, 12:32 AM
Well, Miami and the Heels I think. Both are incredibly dangerous. Extremely difficult stretch over the next nine days.

I'm going to be puckering until 11/15. Even then I have to re-pucker for the UK game on 11/17.

gep
10-30-2015, 12:40 AM
Just to be clear, the Miami injury report lists Kaaya as "questionable" although several Miami reporters are claiming that he won't make the trip. The fan site "State of the U" claims that the doctors won't clear him to ride in a pressurized cabin during the flight up here.

Rashawn Scott, their top receiver, was also hurt against Clemson and he was held out of contact all week (wearing a yellow jersey). But he's not even listed on the injury report.

I see that Duke is favored by 11? Is Kaaya the reason? :confused:

BigWayne
10-30-2015, 03:41 AM
I see that Duke is favored by 11? Is Kaaya the reason? :confused:

That and the betting public does not think Larry Scott is the second coming of Ted Roof.

loran16
10-30-2015, 07:48 AM

There's some games being played with that injury report. The Miami herald beat writer now says SCOTT also won't likely make the trip - https://twitter.com/smillerdegnan/status/659928605259145216

budwom
10-30-2015, 09:35 AM
There's some games being played with that injury report. The Miami herald beat writer now says SCOTT also won't likely make the trip - https://twitter.com/smillerdegnan/status/659928605259145216

Indeed. There exists the possibility of gamesmanship here. I've always been skeptical of injury reports (even ours) and this one is far from clear. I wouldn't be stunned to
see Kaaya appear on the field given the paucity of real info here...some Cane fans seem to think he'll play (not that they know any more than we do).

sagegrouse
10-30-2015, 09:48 AM
Indeed. There exists the possibility of gamesmanship here. I've always been skeptical of injury reports (even ours) and this one is far from clear. I wouldn't be stunned to
see Kaaya appear on the field given the paucity of real info here...some Cane fans seem to think he'll play (not that they know any more than we do).

Naaahhh, he ain't gonna play. It's just to complicate Duke's game planning. Coach Cut does this kind of gaming as well.

nyesq83
10-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Times have really changed

when we are rooting for the guys with the black hats,

when Miami has a midseason coaching change and quarterback issues (and we are favored by more than a TD),

and when we are in the top 20 and still can't get people to come to the games.

Let's Go, Duke!

CameronBlue
10-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Times have really changed

when we are rooting for the guys with the black hats,

when Miami has a midseason coaching change and quarterback issues (and we are favored by more than a TD),

and when we are in the top 20 and still can't get people to come to the games.

Let's Go, Duke!

Be careful you may get lectured about Duke's position in the global universe as it pertains to football attendance. It'll be voluminous but trite and void of entertainment value. Should be a quick read.

loran16
10-30-2015, 10:22 AM

No kaaya isn't playing. Hasn't practiced and multiple reports say he won't travel to Durham. Them putting questionable is just transparent gamesmanship. The real gamesmanship is if Scott is hurt

Dev11
10-30-2015, 10:39 AM
Is Nike calling the shots?

That would be especially strange since Miami recently switched to Adidas.

devildeac
10-30-2015, 11:10 AM

Maybe not gamesmanship. Maybe just their way of playing trick or treat on Duke coaches/players/fans:rolleyes:.

Avvocato
10-30-2015, 12:04 PM
If not already posted, here's a nice blog story on Sirk's development from ESPN.com.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/87506/thomas-sirk-finds-groove-as-dukes-qb

budwom
10-30-2015, 12:20 PM
No kaaya isn't playing. Hasn't practiced and multiple reports say he won't travel to Durham. Them putting questionable is just transparent gamesmanship. The real gamesmanship is if Scott is hurt

Well, until I read a report moments ago from a Cane blog saying he won't travel to Durham (Kaaya) I would point out that ALL of the multiple reports seemed to emanate from the same vague source.
Moot point now (I think)...another "report" has Scott not coming, though he's not even on the injury report at all...go figure...

AustinDevil
10-30-2015, 12:43 PM

I love the black uniforms. But your lyrics do make me think that the students who already sing "Blue and White and Blue and White, and Blue and White and Blue and White," etc., instead of the actual fight song lyrics, should consider singing "Black and Black and Black and Black..." for both FB and BB when we wear black!

loran16
10-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Well, until I read a report moments ago from a Cane blog saying he won't travel to Durham (Kaaya) I would point out that ALL of the multiple reports seemed to emanate from the same vague source.
Moot point now (I think)...another "report" has Scott not coming, though he's not even on the injury report at all...go figure...

Two different reporters for two different papers had the "not coming" on scott report - the Herald and Palm Beach Post. And it's undisputed he hasn't even practiced. There wasn't really a question on Kaaya, which is why Vegas set a line.

As for Scott, that's more a question - only the Herald reported that, though the PBP beat writer is hedging his bets.

budwom
10-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Two different reporters for two different papers had the "not coming" on scott report - the Herald and Palm Beach Post. And it's undisputed he hasn't even practiced. There wasn't really a question on Kaaya, which is why Vegas set a line.

As for Scott, that's more a question - only the Herald reported that, though the PBP beat writer is hedging his bets.

The "not coming"on Scott or Kaaya?? Not to belabor the issue, but as of yesterday I found about five articles on Kaaya, none of which could cite an actual source, just a lot of "reportedly" stuff...
Coaches being coaches. But no, Vegas DID set a line even with a question on Kayaa, Vegas Insider clearly referred to him as doubtful, not out. Moot point I trust..

Bob Green
10-31-2015, 06:11 AM
Game day has arrived and a quick check at vegasinsiders.com reveals Duke is a 12.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 50:

Let's Go Duke!

Bob Green
10-31-2015, 07:08 AM
Miami sounds focused:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article42014544.html

UM safety Deon Bush, who will attempt to contain Sirk, was asked earlier this week if he was able to even think about Duke because of what had transpired.

“We’re thinking about Duke because we owe it to people,’’ Bush said. “We owe it to Artie. We owe it to Coach Golden. We owe it to have a good week.

“We’re looking forward to Duke.’’

I'm confident Duke will be equally focused when the teams take the field.

OldPhiKap
10-31-2015, 09:06 AM
Miami sounds focused:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article42014544.html

I'm confident Duke will be equally focused when the teams take the field.

Each week becomes more intense. This is huge. And Miami will bring it, hard.

LGD!

left_hook_lacey
10-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Game day has arrived and a quick check at vegasinsiders.com reveals Duke is a 12.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 50:

Let's Go Duke!

Up to 13 now. Opened at 6.5-7.

Smart money knows how good Duke has been against the spread.

I must also mention...Duke is a two touchdown favorite against Miami....MIAMI!!

I know Miami isn't the Miami of old, but Duke isn't the Duke of old either. We've come a long way baby.

jimsumner
10-31-2015, 12:11 PM
Up to 13 now. Opened at 6.5-7.

Smart money knows how good Duke has been against the spread.

I must also mention...Duke is a two touchdown favorite against Miami...MIAMI!!

I know Miami isn't the Miami of old, but Duke isn't the Duke of old either. We've come a long way baby.

I'm not sure Duke would be a 13-point favorite over Miami in basketball.

OldPhiKap
10-31-2015, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure Duke would be a 13-point favorite over Miami in basketball.

Probably not, Jeremy Cash isn't in the eight man rotation.

In all seriousness, I think this line is crazy.

martydoesntfoul
10-31-2015, 04:22 PM
This is a really scary game as far as I'm concerned, and it has nothing to do with Halloween. I can see Miami coming to play with reckless abandon and a nothing-to-lose mindset. They're playing for pride, for a teammate, for a coach, and I don't think it matters much who suits up for them. Plus we have the hated THs next weekend, creating the possibility for a classic trap game.

Having said all that, if we emerge with a W then my respect and admiration for Coach Cut will go up yet another notch. LGD!!!!!

Pghdukie
10-31-2015, 04:59 PM
Vegasinsider now has Duke -10.

Indoor66
10-31-2015, 05:09 PM
The Vegas boys are pretty accurate. I like our chances. Is it time for the kickoff?

LET'S GO DUKE!

OldPhiKap
10-31-2015, 05:09 PM
Less than two hours to kickoff. Go Devils!

jimsumner
10-31-2015, 05:17 PM
I can really see this game going in a lot of directions. If martydoesn'tfoul's very plausible scenario comes true, then this could be a dogfight.

But if Miami's confidence is shaky and Duke hits them hard early and often, it could be fun.

Find out in a bit, I suppose.

martydoesntfoul
10-31-2015, 05:33 PM
But if... Duke hits them hard early and often, it could be fun

Jim: I believe this is the key to the game!!

Indoor66
10-31-2015, 05:43 PM
Jim: I believe this is the key to the game!!

I agree. A good punch in the mouth will go a long way toward winning this one.

-jk
10-31-2015, 06:40 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Mabdul Doobakus
10-31-2015, 07:13 PM
Terrible decision to sub out Sirk on that 4th and goal. That's what he's best at. Makes no sense.

riverside6
10-31-2015, 07:16 PM
Live stats and play analysis for Duke/Miami ...

http://www.scacchoops.com/miami-at-duke-football-live-stats-10312015

Wander
10-31-2015, 07:50 PM
That is the worst fumble call I've ever seen. Both the Miami and Duke guys stopped playing because it was so obviously not a fumble. Blah.

kmspeaks
10-31-2015, 07:54 PM
That is the worst fumble call I've ever seen. Both the Miami and Duke guys stopped playing because it was so obviously not a fumble. Blah.

That was really bad. My guess is the replay guy wouldn't overturn it because he couldn't see the ball, but if it's covered up by the player's arms isn't that evidence he has control?

Devil77
10-31-2015, 07:56 PM
That was really bad. My guess is the replay guy wouldn't overturn it because he couldn't see the ball, but if it's covered up by the player's arms isn't that evidence he has control?

Yeah, the replay guy really honked on that one.

ChrisP
10-31-2015, 07:57 PM
Getting better against the run but...man, our secondary play reminds me of a time before Cutcliffe arrived. Can't seem to cover anyone on long balls. Ugh.

ChrisP
10-31-2015, 08:00 PM
Glad to see the very timely return of the bubble screen....NOT

Devil77
10-31-2015, 08:04 PM
Starting to remind me of last years UNC game.

ChrisP
10-31-2015, 08:07 PM

Agreed. We do not look ready to play. Not getting points after that initial fumble (or rather Miami getting the stop) was really bad. Gave them the momentum for sure.

91devil
10-31-2015, 08:08 PM

I was about to say the same thing. Their athleticism is bothering us and we haven't come close to matching their energy.

arnie
10-31-2015, 08:08 PM

We're laying an egg.

dukelifer
10-31-2015, 08:11 PM
I was about to say the same thing. Their athleticism is bothering us and we haven't come close to matching their energy.

Miami was either going to play flat or come in on a mission. Duke will need to figure it out fast or it is about to go south.

ChrisP
10-31-2015, 08:20 PM
Nice drive! Let's punch it in!

ChrisP
10-31-2015, 08:24 PM
Nash HAS to catch that ball. Ugh! Once again...not sharp thus far

91devil
10-31-2015, 08:26 PM
Really nice change of pace with the running backs.

Miami is committing so many penalties, we need to take advantage.

ChrisP
10-31-2015, 08:32 PM
Why, after getting some nice runs up the middle, did we throw it 3x down inside the 10?

dukelifer
10-31-2015, 08:40 PM
Not Duke's night so far

duke79
10-31-2015, 08:41 PM
Not a good half of football for Duke......UGH. Miami is playing "loose".....and Duke looks tight.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 08:42 PM
Hate it when we hype up big home games then forget to show up. Then we wonder why people don't come out.

ChrisP
10-31-2015, 08:42 PM
Looking like another flat performance in a big, prime time home game :(

Sixthman
10-31-2015, 08:44 PM
No sense of urgency on either side of the ball. The crowd at wade is docile, the team more so.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 08:45 PM
Sorry guys my fault. I missed the first hour bc I was stuck in lab. 2nd half is ours!

arnie
10-31-2015, 08:46 PM
Not Duke's night so far

Atrocious time management and decision-making at the end. Partly Sirk's fault, but with 9 seconds to play and down 11, not taking a shot in the end zone is hard to understand. Got to play and coach smarter in the 2nd half.

Wander
10-31-2015, 08:47 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with energy or urgency or whatever.... it has to do with bizarre stupid play calls on our part (and that awful fumble call).

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 08:49 PM
Who starts on offense in 2nd half?

91devil
10-31-2015, 08:51 PM
Mistakes in the red zone, mistakes in the kicking game.

We get the ball first. Let's make something happen.

6th Man
10-31-2015, 08:52 PM
Need a TD to start second half.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 08:59 PM
Ugh heard there's a big crowd and recruits here tonight. We can't complain about empty stands if we fail hard every time a nice crowd shows. Crying wolf too many times.

75Crazie
10-31-2015, 09:01 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with energy or urgency or whatever...
I disagree ... the difference in body language between the two teams is striking.

djp10
10-31-2015, 09:02 PM
they really should change the replay rules and get rid of the "indisputable video evidence" nonsense. they should just "make the most accurate call possible aided by additional video data"

CDu
10-31-2015, 09:06 PM
Duncan with a man's run for a TD!

FerryFor50
10-31-2015, 09:06 PM
Very nice start to the 2nd half. Great running by Wilson and topped off by a beast-mode run by Duncan.

Hopefully Wilson's injury is minor.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 09:07 PM
Touchdown Duke!!!

Maybe we should run 220lb jela Duncan on the goal line!

pamtar
10-31-2015, 09:07 PM
Bout damn time.

arnie
10-31-2015, 09:08 PM
Duncan with a man's run for a TD!

That was the real deal.

75Crazie
10-31-2015, 09:15 PM
Who said before this game that Rosier was not a passer? We're making him look pretty good.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 09:16 PM
We'd be getting blown out if it wasn't for their penalties.

FerryFor50
10-31-2015, 09:20 PM
We'd be getting blown out if it wasn't for their penalties.

And they'd be getting blown out if it wasn't for Duke's lack of offense.

Penalties are part of the game.

75Crazie
10-31-2015, 09:20 PM
Who said before this game that Rosier was not a passer? We're making him look pretty good.
I obviously needed to say that earlier.

FerryFor50
10-31-2015, 09:23 PM
Stupid play. Fake punt on 4th and 6 and you RUN UP THE MIDDLE WITH THE PUNTER?

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 09:24 PM
At least we know it's not just Scottie who can't call plays .

Sixthman
10-31-2015, 09:25 PM
Unbelievable suspect fake punt call by duke coaches. Talk about working hard to secure momentum and then pointlessly giving it up.

CDu
Stupid play. Fake punt on 4th and 6 and you RUN UP THE MIDDLE WITH THE PUNTER?

Yeah, the playcalling for this team is mindnumbing at times.

Also, Sirk's accuracy problems really limit our offense.

FerryFor50
They just ran the fake punt up the middle to make Chuck Pagano feel better.

Sixthman
10-31-2015, 09:26 PM
Wondering when we are going to put some pressure on the miami QB. It is time.

arnie
10-31-2015, 09:27 PM
They just ran the fake punt up the middle to make Chuck Pagano feel better.

Running the ball down their throats then try two long passes with no chance of completing. Don't understand.

ChrisP
10-31-2015, 09:28 PM
Running the ball down their throats then try two long passes with no chance of completing. Don't understand.

Word

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 09:28 PM
Scottie Montgomery needs to get better or reassigned.

FerryFor50
10-31-2015, 09:29 PM

I didn't dislike trying one pass deep. You have to keep the defense honest. But I would have done it on a first down, not 3rd.

Devilwin
10-31-2015, 09:32 PM
We can win this game, but (as has been said many times) our play calling is obscenely bad. Duncan should be the primary ball carrier. Again, another drive fails because of bad play calls..

FerryFor50
10-31-2015, 09:33 PM
Defense comes through again to bail out the offense!

FerryFor50
10-31-2015, 09:37 PM
A lot of contact on that Barnes attempt. No flag.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 09:39 PM
Our offense is so unimaginative. Eventually we're going to go to the well too many times with our defense. Cmon Duke!

Devilwin
And, yet another. Painful to watch.:mad:

CDu
I didn't dislike trying one pass deep. You have to keep the defense honest. But I would have done it on a first down, not 3rd.

It wasn't that deep a route and Powell was WIDE open. Sirk just missed him by 5-10 yards.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 09:40 PM
Seems that when we don't gain 3 or more yards on first down, we are screwed on offense.

Sixthman
10-31-2015, 09:41 PM
The third quarter was all about urgency. Very good. Against Virginia Tech the long sideline passes -- even when unsuccessful -- opened up some other passing lanes. Hope we see that in 4th.

FerryFor50
10-31-2015, 09:41 PM
It wasn't that deep a route and Powell was WIDE open. Sirk just missed him by 5-10 yards.

The one prior to that was a deep route. But yea, agreed - Sirk needs to refine his passing.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 09:42 PM
Maybe our defense can tie the game for us

CDu
10-31-2015, 09:42 PM
Seems that when we don't gain 3 or more yards on first down, we are screwed on offense.

Yeah, that is what happens with an inaccurate QB.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 09:45 PM
Yeah, that is what happens with an inaccurate QB.

Well, means when we risk a pass on 1st down there is a lot on the line

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 09:46 PM
Defense getting gashed

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 09:46 PM
This is about to get away from us I fear

FerryFor50
10-31-2015, 09:47 PM
Rosier throws a lot of balls off his back foot. Just throws it up for his athletes to get it.

Hopefully that comes back to burn him.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 09:48 PM
Need to hold to a FG here

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 09:49 PM
Defense getting gashed

Or "gassed"

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 09:49 PM
We're going to be the first ranked team Miami has beaten since Golden was hired.

CDu
10-31-2015, 09:50 PM
Disappointing night.

Sixthman
10-31-2015, 09:51 PM
Can't play pass defense in the end zone with your back to the ball. Wade a tomb. B

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Not over by a long shot but holy Moses we need offense right now

duke09hms
Our offense hasn't gotten better like Cut said it would and our defense, while still good, is nowhere near elite like we thought after shutting down inept offensive teams.

Devilwin
10-31-2015, 09:52 PM
Pathetic. It's gone, I fear. Worse even than the Northwestern game. We need to play all our games on the road. This looks like ten years ago. All these fans that came deserve better than this.

91devil
I'd say we need some Sirk magic here. This game is still winnable.

I will say that our defense looks pedestrian when Jeremy Cash isn't playing out of this world.

Come on, Duke!

ChrisP
Pass defense just awful. Our D has made some great plays to put Miami in 2nd or 3rd and very long and every time it happens, I have zero confidence that we'll be able to prevent a conversation :(

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 09:53 PM
All these fans that came deserve better than this.

On TV it looks at least 50/50 Miami fans.

pamtar
10-31-2015, 09:54 PM
Getting tired of the U. After the rainstorm loss last year I thought we might not overlook them.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 09:54 PM
We need at least 2 scores to win the game? Oh boy

Sixthman
10-31-2015, 09:55 PM
On TV it looks at least 50/50 Miami fans.

Actually very few miami fans. They just have more to cheer.

Devilwin
10-31-2015, 09:56 PM
Our offense hasn't gotten better like Cut said it would and our defense, while still good, is nowhere near elite like we thought after shutting down inept offensive teams.

Exactly.:mad:

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 09:56 PM
Actually very few miami fans. They just have more to cheer.

Yeah no one on here should ever complain about students or Duke people not showing up to Wade again.

CDu
10-31-2015, 10:00 PM
3rd and 3 and we pass, knowing it is 4-down territory. Bad, bad playcalling when you have a QB who struggles with accuracy. Run the football!

Oh well. At least we are bowl eligible.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:01 PM
4th down tries get less and less surprising each time you go for it.

Devilwin
10-31-2015, 10:01 PM
Truer words never spoken.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 10:02 PM
Ballgame if they score a TD

ChrisP
10-31-2015, 10:02 PM
Combination of bad playcalling and an inaccurate QB is not a winning one :(

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:03 PM
Was starting to type "still a winnable game," but it is fast becoming less so.

Devilwin
They score here we are done for. And it gets not one bit better next week.

duke09hms
YTF are we running on 3rd and 3 when it's 4th down territory and an offense that can't pass.

arnie
Exactly.:mad:

It's fairly simple, Most of Sirk's passes aren't accurate. If he's the best QB we have, we need to be a running team.

CDu
Ballgame if they score a TD

I am not sure we can score two TDs in 7 minutes even if we hold them to a FG.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 10:04 PM
If we lose Cutcliffe better not come out with stuff on how Miami is a good team and Rosier is a great QB. No we lost bc we blew it.

ChrisP
We are making this "inexperienced" quarterback of theirs look like a Heisman winner! Jeez

gep
I thought Rosier as a red-shirt freshman... who has hardly played this year, would be "easily" rattled... oh well :confused:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:05 PM
I am not sure we can score two TDs in 7 minutes even if we hold them to a FG.

167 yards of penalties against Miami and it nets us one TD. Not a good sign.

luvdahops
10-31-2015, 10:05 PM
A number of poor decisions by Sirk on passing plays. Still way too anxious to get rid of the ball. Play calling has left a lot to be desired though, too. How about a slant route every now and then? And as CDu mentioned, what are we doing passing on 4th and 3?

Not a great night for our DBs either....

CDu
10-31-2015, 10:06 PM
167 yards of penalties against Miami and it nets us one TD. Not a good sign.

Yeah just an awful game for us on many fronts.

luvdahops
10-31-2015, 10:07 PM
A number of poor decisions by Sirk on passing plays. Still way too anxious to get rid of the ball. Play calling has left a lot to be desired though, too. How about a slant route every now and then? And as CDu mentioned, what are we doing passing on 3rd or 4th and 3?

Not a great night for our DBs either....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:07 PM
It's go time if we are gonna get it straight. No more drives to waste.

gep
10-31-2015, 10:08 PM
Funny... Bob Harris just said, after the FG, that Duke was down "only" 2 touchdowns... with 6 minutes to go. I'm not sure Duke can get 2 touchdowns in the whole game if the whole game was left... unfortunate :confused:

pamtar
Getting embarrassed by a team with no coach and a backup starting QB. At home. With division title implications.

Devilwin
It's fairly simple, Most of Sirk's passes aren't accurate. If he's the best QB we have, we need to be a running team.

Yep. I dunno why we went away from Duncan. He was shredding them. I told the wife we came out flat, played flat, stayed flat except for the one flurry led by Duncan. Didn't help Nash dropped a td pass, and that incredible fumble call. How that didn't get overturned is beyond me.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 10:09 PM
Wtf Miami gives us 180 yds and we're gonna lose by 2 TDs

CDu
A number of poor decisions by Sirk on passing plays. Still way too anxious to get rid of the ball. Play calling has left a lot to be desired though, too. How about a slant route every now and then? And as CDu mentioned, what are we doing passing on 4th and 3?

Not a great night for our DBs either...

To be clear, I was more angry with the pass on 3rd and 3 when we know it is 4-down territory. Get a couple of yards and set up a 4th and 1. On 4th and 3 I tolerate the pass.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
The announcers keep calling for deep passes. What team are they watching?

FerryFor50
10-31-2015, 10:11 PM
Oh look. Short passing game works.

Use it more often maybe?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:11 PM
Someone watching stats... how do our running yards and passing yards compare with Miami's 184 yards of penalties? Seems to be our best method of moving the ball.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 10:13 PM
Cut needs to stop talking about improving the offense and actually do something about it. Why aren't we running Duncan inside and Wilson outside.
Oh well, at least we're going to a bowl game. Hope we finish high enough to get Pinstripe!

arnie
10-31-2015, 10:14 PM

Not a great night for our DBs either...

4th and 8. Expect to see a 4-yd pass at the sideline or a QB draw.

Devilwin
Fourth and eight. Anybody wanna bet we get it? lol

CDu
Yeah, I agree with whoever said we should just commit to running the football. Run the read option all day. Pass only occasonally to keep the D honest. Sirk just isn't accurate enough and doesn't read defenses well enough to succeed throwing 30 times a game right now.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:15 PM
4th and 8. Expect to see a 4-yd pass at the sideline or a QB draw.

No fake punt?

75Crazie
10-31-2015, 10:15 PM
Someone watching stats... how do our running yards and passing yards compare with Miami's 184 yards of penalties? Seems to be our best method of moving the ball.
Running: 186
Passing: 164
Penalties: 164

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:16 PM
Go go go go

CDu
10-31-2015, 10:16 PM
Holy hell, a first down!

But the problem is we can't score quickly enough. This drive has been great, but even if we score we will have to onside kick and hope for a prayer.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:17 PM
What a catch

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 10:17 PM
If we score a TD can we get the onside kick?

luvdahops
10-31-2015, 10:18 PM
To be clear, I was more angry with the pass on 3rd and 3 when we know it is 4-down territory. Get a couple of yards and set up a 4th and 1. On 4th and 3 I tolerate the pass.

Yup went back to edit my original post. Did not like the pocket pass call on 4th and 3 either though.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Where was this dynamic offense for the last 55 minutes?

FerryFor50
Well, Sirk is in a rhythm now.

Maybe has to do with how fast they're playing. Maybe Duke needs to up their tempo, stick with read-option and short passing game (without the bubble screens).

And what happened to Deaver? They don't ever seem to target him.

And Barnes just ran over EVERYONE to score - including the ref.

Devilwin
Sirk to Barnes!!

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 10:19 PM
If we made that FG we only need a FG to win it. Ughhhh

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
If we score a TD can we get the onside kick?

We can kick it away and drive them backwards with penalties.

91devil
I'd kick it deep.

CDu
10-31-2015, 10:20 PM
Not sure what these announcers are thinking. No way we can score if we kick deep.

FerryFor50
10-31-2015, 10:20 PM
Unlucky bounce on the onside.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:21 PM
Not sure what these announcers are thinking. No way we can score if we kick deep.

Might as well onsides it. They win with a first down either way.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 10:22 PM
Offense hurting us SO bad this game ughhhh

ChrisP
Easy to second guess but..I think we should have kicked it deep there. Ugh

CDu
Might as well insides it. They win with a first down either way.

Yeah our only realistic hope was to get an onside kick. This offense isn't equipped to go 50+ yards in under 2 min with no TOs.

duke09hms
10-31-2015, 10:23 PM
Might need a TO or some Devon magic

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:23 PM

I don't see how it helps. Gotta stop them either at midfield or at the 20. With the onside we might get lucky, still have to get the stop. No harm done.

CDu
10-31-2015, 10:24 PM

It is unrealistic to think we could go 60 yards in ~1:30 with no timeouts. Take the 30% chance at the onsides kick.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:25 PM
Say what you will, this team keeps things interesting

Devilwin
10-31-2015, 10:26 PM
3d and 14. STOP THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please God...Please...

OneK
10-31-2015, 10:27 PM
44 pass attempts....smh

Devilwin
Now..Run the punt back, son. Or get us close so WE CAN WIN!!!!!!!!!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Alrighty. Hold on to your butts.

FerryFor50
10-31-2015, 10:28 PM
I think Duke could totally do 80 yards in 1:50.

91devil
Let's Go Duke!

duke09hms
Alright offense redeem yourselves!

OneK
We need some Devon...he's due.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:29 PM
Let's take the governor off this offense

CDu
10-31-2015, 10:29 PM
Oh thank god!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:30 PM
Come on, let's draw some penalties!!!

OneK
Obviously I'm on delay on the computer...

FerryFor50
Dang it. HIT THE OPEN GUY SIRK.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2015, 10:31 PM
Come on, let's draw some penalties!!!

Wow I called that

Devilwin
10-31-2015, 10:31 PM
Sirk is too erratic.