PDA

View Full Version : Dahntay Jones signs with Celts

SlimSlowSlider
09-27-2007, 08:53 AM
According to the Boston Globe, Dahntay signed a non-guaranteed contract with the Celtics yesterday. The Celts have 17 people on their roster now, and will need to trim it to 15 by the start of the season.

Clipsfan
09-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Congratulations to Dahntay, and I think that is a relationship that could work really well. The Celtics don't have the cap room to pick up any pricey players, but Dahntay can really help out and now has a much better chance to make it far in the playoffs. I know this has been rumored as a good fit since the KG trade was announced, just glad to see it happen.

heyman25
09-27-2007, 12:37 PM
I hope Dahntay makes the team. He can be the next KC Jones.

juise
09-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Funny, didn't Boston draft him?

Hector Vector
09-27-2007, 06:39 PM
I think this is a perfect fit for Dahntay -- a team with stars, but very little depth (the reverse of Memphis situation). I would expect him to get 15-20 mpg, emphasizing defense, getting out on the break, hitting open shots.

gotham devil
09-27-2007, 11:34 PM
The Celtics can legitimately compete for an Eastern Conference title.

tombrady
09-28-2007, 02:15 AM
Even though the Celtics aren't what they used to be?

DBR, are you kidding? DJ automatically becomes the former Dukie with the best chance to win a title.

Do you not pay attention to the NBA offseason?

JasonEvans
09-28-2007, 08:26 AM

DBR, are you kidding? DJ automatically becomes the former Dukie with the best chance to win a title.

Well, in fairness, the DBR said the Celtics "aren't what they used to be." That is true. They may be a lot better but it is not like Dahntay will be playing with Larry Legend, The Chief, and McHale.

Then again, I think your point is well taken. The Celtics are almost certainly the most improved team in all of basketball and are certainly one of the leading contenders to make the NBA finals from the (L)Eastern Conference.

Worth noting, the Celts have 17 guys signed and will need to cut a couple. I think Dahntay stands an excellent chance of making the team. Also on that 17-man roster are 2 rookies who may be longshots to make the team-- former Tarheel Jackie Manuel and So Carolina's Brandon Wallace. celtics also have rookies LSU's Big Baby Glen Davis and USC's Gabe Pruitt, but I expect both of them to make the team-- especially Pruitt who may be the backup PG to Rondo. Bottom line, looking at the roster I think it is very likely that Dahntay makes this team.

As for his playing time-- I see him battling to be the primary backup to Pierce and Ray Allen, which could be called the 6th man for the Celtics. his competition for this role would seem to largely come from Tony Allen. Jackie Manuel would also appear to play a similar role to Dahntay but without nearly as much offensive potential. Also on the roster is NBA vet Eddie House who might also be some competition for Dahntay. House is a better shooter though not nearly as good a defender or slasher.

--Jason "there should be only about 20-25 wing minutes avail for Dahntay and T.Allen to spilt" Evans

wilson
09-28-2007, 10:43 AM
DJ automatically becomes the former Dukie with the best chance to win a title.

I'd actually have to give that title to Grant Hill in Phoenix (depending on how the Shawn Marion situation shakes out). The Celts may well be the class of the East now, but even if they are, there will still be at least three better teams out west.

Carlos
09-28-2007, 11:09 AM

Wait, did Doc Rivers leave Boston in the offseason?

As for Grant's situation in Phoenix, I think losing Marion and picking up either Lamar Odom or Andrei Kirilenko makes Phoenix a better team.

wilson
09-28-2007, 11:14 AM
As for Grant's situation in Phoenix, I think losing Marion and picking up either Lamar Odom or Andrei Kirilenko makes Phoenix a better team.

I agree, but one of those two in return for Marion is no guarantee. I also think there's a decent chance he doesn't get traded at all.

At any rate, I stand by my argument that the in the best-case scenario, the Celtics would win the 4th seed out West. There may be one or two teams better than them in the east, too (Cleveland and Chicago being the most likely candidates, imo).

speedevil
09-28-2007, 11:19 PM
i cant wait to pick up dantay on my all duke fantasy basketball team. he will be filling out my roster of 13 former bluedevils in the nba.

JasonEvans
09-29-2007, 10:10 AM
i cant wait to pick up dantay on my all duke fantasy basketball team. he will be filling out my roster of 13 former bluedevils in the nba.

With Brand injured, your team is probably not going to be all that great this year. Lots of fabulous supporting players like Hill, Battier, and Duhon who are key cogs in very good teams but don't put up big stats. Maggette, Boozer, and to a lesser extent Deng are the only guys who will put up big numbers from a fantasy standpoint.

Who do you draft in each round?

1. Boozer
2. Deng
3. Maggette
4. Hill
5. Redick
6. Battier
7. Shelden
8. Dunleavy
9. Duhon
10. Dahntay
11. Shav
12. McJosh
13. Brand (IR)

--Jason "a fun exercise, but minus Brand it just lacks some heft at the top" Evans

JBDuke
09-29-2007, 09:52 PM
With Brand injured, your team is probably not going to be all that great this year. Lots of fabulous supporting players like Hill, Battier, and Duhon who are key cogs in very good teams but don't put up big stats. Maggette, Boozer, and to a lesser extent Deng are the only guys who will put up big numbers from a fantasy standpoint.

1. Boozer
2. Deng
3. Maggette
4. Hill
5. Redick
6. Battier
7. Shelden
8. Dunleavy
9. Duhon
10. Dahntay
11. Shav
12. McJosh
13. Brand (IR)

--Jason "a fun exercise, but minus Brand it just lacks some heft at the top" Evans

If Mike continues to play like he did after the trade to the Pacers, then he should be higher on your list. After the trade, he averaged 14 ppg and 5.7 rpg. Even better, in April, he averaged 16 and 7.4. Mike's producing better pure numbers than Shane, and JJ and Shelden would have to make very big jumps this year to get to those kinds of numbers. Heck, the Suns would be ecstatic if Grant put up those numbers. From a fantasy perspective, Mike might very well end up being the #4 Duke alum in the League next year.

speedevil
10-02-2007, 12:51 AM

1. Boozer
2. Deng
3. Maggette
4. Hill
5. Redick
6. Battier
7. Shelden
8. Dunleavy
9. Duhon
10. Dahntay
11. Shav
12. McJosh
13. Brand (IR)

I been doing this for the last 3 years, of course I always end up losing, but its fun.
It's a head to head league.
Must start 2 centers, 1pg, 1sg, 1 g, 1 sf, 1 pf, 1 f, 2 utility, and 3 bench
I had the #1 pick. no KG on this all Duke team.

1. Boozer, will be my starting center
2. Brand, took him early in case someone tried to stash him on the bench until he came back
3. Deng, All-Star?
4. Battier, he's always rank around the 40-50s
5. Maggette
6. Dunleavy, he's gonna have a career year.
7. Duhon, duke's only true pg in the nba.
8. Hill, still going strong, seeing him the playoff last year was great
9. Williams, not listed at center.
10. Redick, him at 5 is way to high.
11. McRoberts, center eligble
12. Randolph, did he recover from his injury?
13. Damien Wilkins, but quickly dropped. Jones has a non-gauranteed contract. Hope he makes the team, so he can fill out my roster.

Duke has many SG/SF in the league right now, a few PF's, but only 1 PG, which is a surprise to me every year, and no true centers.

Clipsfan
10-02-2007, 06:28 PM
I been doing this for the last 3 years, of course I always end up losing, but its fun.
It's a head to head league.
Must start 2 centers, 1pg, 1sg, 1 g, 1 sf, 1 pf, 1 f, 2 utility, and 3 bench
I had the #1 pick. no KG on this all Duke team.

1. Boozer, will be my starting center
2. Brand, took him early in case someone tried to stash him on the bench until he came back
3. Deng, All-Star?
4. Battier, he's always rank around the 40-50s
5. Maggette
6. Dunleavy, he's gonna have a career year.
7. Duhon, duke's only true pg in the nba.
8. Hill, still going strong, seeing him the playoff last year was great
9. Williams, not listed at center.
10. Redick, him at 5 is way to high.
11. McRoberts, center eligble
12. Randolph, did he recover from his injury?
13. Damien Wilkins, but quickly dropped. Jones has a non-gauranteed contract. Hope he makes the team, so he can fill out my roster.

Duke has many SG/SF in the league right now, a few PF's, but only 1 PG, which is a surprise to me every year, and no true centers.

Unfortunately our best PG got hurt. Wasn't Ewing eligible at PG last year? Not saying that I'd have recommended making him my starting PG, but he was still an option.