PDA

View Full Version : UNC Children's hospital renamed to...

FerryFor50
10-23-2015, 11:04 AM
The Krispy Kreme Challenge Children’s Specialty Clinic.

Not a hoax. Not April 1st.

http://news.unchealthcare.org/uncchildrens/news/K2C-clinic-rename

Maybe they'll sell naming rights to RJ Reynolds next.

Someone really ought to fire that PR team.

PSurprise
10-23-2015, 11:06 AM

Well good for them raising the money. Just as long as they don't sponsor a diabetes wing as well

swood1000
10-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Well good for them raising the money. Just as long as they don't sponsor a diabetes wing as well
I agree. Unless the government is to supply the funds there has to be some incentive for people to contribute, and large sums are easier to coax out of people when their names are memorialized. I couldn't see refusing the money. Also, people are likely to continue referring to it simply as the N.C. Children's Specialty Clinic.

PackMan97
10-23-2015, 11:18 AM

My guess is they don't get $200,000 gifts every year and they'd really like those to turn into $300,000 or $400,000 gifts and the way to do that is to put the name of the organization that is giving them the money in their name and give the event as much free PR as possible.

It is very goofy, but so is the challenge.

BTW - Whatever happened to UNC's "Chik-Fil-A Challenge" (http://www.technicianonline.com/article_268cb113-221c-5a26-aaf1-32aa514fe5f3.html) that was supposed to be an healthy alternative to NC State's artery clogging event?

swood1000
10-23-2015, 11:20 AM
My guess is they don't get $200,000 gifts every year and they'd really like those to turn into $300,000 or $400,000 gifts and the way to do that is to put the name of the organization that is giving them the money in their name and give the event as much free PR as possible.

It is very goofy, but so is the challenge.

BTW - Whatever happened to UNC's "Chik-Fil-A Challenge" (http://www.technicianonline.com/article_268cb113-221c-5a26-aaf1-32aa514fe5f3.html) that was supposed to be an healthy alternative to NC State's artery clogging event?
It was $2,000,000, not $200,000.

PackMan97
10-23-2015, 11:23 AM

Last year's haul was $200,000.

The goal is $2,000,000 by 2020 of which $1,000,000 was given so far as a result of this event.

Neither of us are wrong.

MChambers
10-23-2015, 11:24 AM

That's a lot of donuts.

swood1000
10-23-2015, 11:40 AM
That's a lot of donuts.
And they no doubt have in mind even more donuts as a result.

flyingdutchdevil
10-23-2015, 11:50 AM

Funny you mention RJR. RJR has given plenty of money to Duke, including Fuqua, where a few of the rooms are named after this. RJR was also once upon a time part of American Tobacco Company, the very company that JB Duke founded.

Despite being part of a massive vice industry, Duke wouldn't be Duke without the tobacco industry.

oldnavy
10-23-2015, 11:54 AM
I agree. Unless the government is to supply the funds there has to be some incentive for people to contribute, and large sums are easier to coax out of people when their names are memorialized. I couldn't see refusing the money. Also, people are likely to continue referring to it simply as the N.C. Children's Specialty Clinic.

I don't disagree, but it is a sad statement (although true).

Whatever happened to just giving in order to bless others?

I don't have a major problem with corporate sponsorships, but I have to admit that Krispy Kreme (as delicious as they are) being associated with anything to do with healthcare is a bit surreal.

77devil
10-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Funny you mention RJR. RJR has given plenty of money to Duke, including Fuqua, where a few of the rooms are named after this. RJR was also once upon a time part of American Tobacco Company, the very company that JB Duke founded.

True, but RJR largess is much more prominent at Wake Forest.

FerryFor50
10-23-2015, 12:22 PM

Despite being part of a massive vice industry, Duke wouldn't be Duke without the tobacco industry.

Any children's hospitals named after RJR?

I don't mind that money was donated at all. It's just weird to have a hospital named after something that isn't exactly healthy. :)

swood1000
10-23-2015, 12:27 PM
I don't disagree, but it is a sad statement (although true).

Whatever happened to just giving in order to bless others?
That's still there but it has always had a limit, to get beyond which other incentives have had to be used, human nature being what it is.

77devil
10-23-2015, 12:34 PM

Not a children's hospital but Bowman Gray(an RJR patriarch) Medical Center is dripping with RJR money.

flyingdutchdevil
10-23-2015, 12:41 PM

I don't mind that money was donated at all. It's just weird to have a hospital named after something that isn't exactly healthy. :)

I agree with you that it is counter-intuitive. I just find it amusing that the company you (probably) randomly chose is highly associated with Duke rather than UNC.

When it comes to naming, I also find it assuming that the university that most people on this board support and represent is named after one of the biggest tobacco tycoons in US history. When it comes to the name-game, Duke loses almost every time.

But, what is in a name? A rose would smell just as sweet if called by any other.

swood1000
10-23-2015, 12:49 PM
When it comes to naming, I also find it assuming that the university that most people on this board support and represent is named after one of the biggest tobacco tycoons in US history. When it comes to the name-game, Duke loses almost every time.
Although in defense of Washington Duke, in his day perhaps tobacco was not known to be as pernicious as we now know it to be. Blaming him for that would be like the anachronistic errors in which people are blamed for transgressing modern norms but which were not norms when they were alive.

flyingdutchdevil
10-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Although in defense of Washington Duke, in his day perhaps tobacco was not known to be as pernicious as we now know it to be. Blaming him for that would be like the anachronistic errors in which people are blamed for transgressing modern norms but which didn't exist when they were alive.

I'm not blaming him at all. And tobacco was seen as good for one's health back when American Tobacco Company was king. And we shouldn't deny or change our history because of this. And I'd happily continue to take Big Tobacco's money to help fund academic programs.

I just wouldn't accuse other programs/schools/departments or taking money from a company/individual from a legitimate but potentially harmful business (tobacco, alcohol, food/beverage, firearms, etc).

weezie
10-23-2015, 12:59 PM
...Whatever happened to just giving in order to bless others?...

Agreed. But I wonder how much $$$ it would take to rename it the Duke Basketball Report Clinic?
Over there in cheaterville? Can we pony up a few million?

BigWayne
10-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Just to be clear, what is being renamed is an outpatient clinic in Raleigh, not the UNC Children's Hospital in Chapel Hill.

weezie
10-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Even better! Annoy the wolfie while we're fundraising.

cspan37421
10-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Speaking of renaming things, the story about Chris Webber getting into it with Doug Gottlieb has a bad link, but I was astonished to hear (like in an April 1 kind of way) that Chris Webber was going to teach at Wake Forest. Sports stories. Yeah, in a masters level program, and he has no degree.

I guess if they have class on the quad in a big circle, it'll be called Storytime Out.

Indoor66
10-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Just to be historically correct, The Duke Endowment was funded with Duke Power Company stock. J. B. Duke was, essentially, out of tobacco after the 1911 decision in the Anti-Trust action. That said, the basis of his fortune was founded on tobacco.

devildeac
10-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Not a children's hospital but Bowman Gray(an RJR patriarch) Medical Center is dripping with RJR money.

A fair amount of (old) truth to this. I'm not sure how much more additional RJR money there was over the last several decades though I'd guess a lot. Here's some more history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Forest_Baptist_Medical_Center

"Brenner Children's Hospital, a 160-bed "hospital within a hospital," opened in 1986. In 1997, the institutions realigned as Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center."

FTR, I went to the Bowman Gray School of Medicine at Wake Forest University, back in the dark ages, of course. Our son will graduate from the Wake Forest University School of Medicine next spring. Yea, there's another devildeac but I can't get him to register at DBR:o.

I'm gonna think some more about this one. There are numerous humorous (yep, I typed that) ideas that can be contemplated with naming a children's clinic after a doughnut maker...

SMH.

CDu
10-23-2015, 03:03 PM
I'm gonna think some more about this one. There are numerous humorous (yep, I typed that) ideas that can be contemplated with naming a children's clinic after a doughnut maker...

SMH.

Just to be clear, they didn't name it after the doughnut maker. They named it after the Krispy Kreme Challenge, which is an NC State student-run semi-athletic fundraiser (which involves doughnuts provided by Krispy Kreme).

Aside from providing the doughnuts, Krispy Kreme is not actually the ones funding for the naming rights at all.

This is actually a really cool thing. What started as a couple of college kids at NC State on a dare has turned into an annual, student-run fundraising event so popular that they've raised enough money for the Children's Hospital to get an off-site clinic named after it. Very impressive.

Indoor66
10-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Just to be clear, they didn't name it after the doughnut maker. They named it after the Krispy Kreme Challenge, which is an NC State student-run semi-athletic fundraiser (which involves doughnuts provided by Krispy Kreme).

Aside from providing the doughnuts, Krispy Kreme is not actually the ones funding for the naming rights at all.

This is actually a really cool thing. What started as a couple of college kids at NC State on a dare has turned into an annual, student-run fundraising event so popular that they've raised enough money for the Children's Hospital to get an off-site clinic named after it. Very impressive.

Thanks for the clarification and additional information.

PackMan97
10-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification and additional information.

...and if you haven't heard of the Krispy Kreme Challenge...

0. Dress is some silly costume or outfit if you are just in it for the LOLz
1. Start at NC State's Bell Tower and run to the Krispy Kreme in Downtown Raleigh (2.5 miles)
2. Eat one dozen glazed donuts
3. Run back to the Bell Tower (5 miles in total)
3a. Make use of one of the many strategically placed "biohazard" receptacles if you find yourself in distress

Note: You can either be a "runner" or a "challenger". As a challenger in order to "win" you must down all 12 doughnuts and finish within one hour.

The Krispy Kreme Challenge epitomizes the test of physical fitness and gastrointestinal fortitude - See more at: http://www.krispykremechallenge.com/#sthash.lujw1oRM.dpuf

Checking out their site, it appears that the Krispy Kreme Challenge makes up 10% of the Children's Hospitals third party donations and is the largest single donation they get...so it's a significant portion of their funding now.

CDu
10-23-2015, 04:35 PM
...and if you haven't heard of the Krispy Kreme Challenge...

0. Dress is some silly costume or outfit if you are just in it for the LOLz
1. Start at NC State's Bell Tower and run to the Krispy Kreme in Downtown Raleigh (2.5 miles)
2. Eat one dozen glazed donuts
3. Run back to the Bell Tower (5 miles in total)
3a. Make use of one of the many strategically placed "biohazard" receptacles if you find yourself in distress

Note: You can either be a "runner" or a "challenger". As a challenger in order to "win" you must down all 12 doughnuts and finish within one hour.

The Krispy Kreme Challenge epitomizes the test of physical fitness and gastrointestinal fortitude - See more at: http://www.krispykremechallenge.com/#sthash.lujw1oRM.dpuf

Checking out their site, it appears that the Krispy Kreme Challenge makes up 10% of the Children's Hospitals third party donations and is the largest single donation they get...so it's a significant portion of their funding now.

My wife used to work as a fundraiser for the Children's Promise. She worked that event for years. It is a lot of fun. Someday, I hope to participate (hopefully before my son is old enough to know what doughnuts are).

BigWayne
10-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Speaking of renaming things, the story about Chris Webber getting into it with Doug Gottlieb has a bad link, but I was astonished to hear (like in an April 1 kind of way) that Chris Webber was going to teach at Wake Forest. Sports stories. Yeah, in a masters level program, and he has no degree.

I guess if they have class on the quad in a big circle, it'll be called Storytime Out.

Maybe the wrong thread? I searched on this and found a couple articles on it. WFU is starting a new degree program for a Master of Arts (MA) in Sports Storytelling as part of their Documentary Film Department. That's where he is going to be involved.

One of the articles claimed:

The theory of timeouts will not be incorporated into the curriculum, probably.

Guess they'll need to wait until Roy is available to add that to the program.

BD80
10-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Maybe the wrong thread? I searched on this and found a couple articles on it. WFU is starting a new degree program for a Master of Arts (MA) in Sports Storytelling as part of their Documentary Film Department. That's where he is going to be involved.

One of the articles claimed:

The theory of timeouts will not be incorporated into the curriculum, probably.

Guess they'll need to wait until Roy is available to add that to the program.

Did Webber ever get a college degree?

He was at UM for 2 years, and was at odds with school for years for taking down "his" banners.

BD80
10-23-2015, 05:50 PM

That sounded odd, that a UNC facility would be funded by an NC State student fundraiser.

"...the renaming of UNC Children’s Raleigh-based, multispecialty outpatient clinic—formerly called the N.C. Children’s Specialty Clinic—to the Krispy Kreme Challenge Children’s Specialty Clinic.

I had envisioned a Chapel Hill based facility.

CDu
10-23-2015, 05:55 PM
That sounded odd, that a UNC facility would be funded by an NC State student fundraiser.

"...the renaming of UNC Children’s Raleigh-based, multispecialty outpatient clinic—formerly called the N.C. Children’s Specialty Clinic—to the Krispy Kreme Challenge Children’s Specialty Clinic.

I had envisioned a Chapel Hill based facility.

Yes, this is only tangentially related to Krispy Kreme and only tangentially related to UNC-Chapel Hill.

BigWayne
10-23-2015, 05:58 PM

He was at UM for 2 years, and was at odds with school for years for taking down "his" banners.

I doubt he did. No mention of him having a degree in the WFU articles or on his website or wikipedia page.

oldnavy
10-24-2015, 06:52 AM

He graduated from UNC. He earned enough credits for a doctorate in time management for his play on the court against UNC. UNC figured he had spent as much time in class as their players and he did as much to help them win the NC as they had, so they graduated him with the 93 class.

BD80
10-24-2015, 09:26 AM
He graduated from UNC. He earned enough credits for a doctorate in time management for his play on the court against UNC. UNC figured he had spent as much time in class as their players and he did as much to help them win the NC as they had, so they graduated him with the 93 class.

He does speak Swahili as well as Travelin' Tyler and his AFAM major teammates. Bon Jorno. Second best in Italian.