PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Big rules changes

CameronBornAndBred
10-23-2015, 09:38 AM
This may have been brought up before, but if so, I can't find it. This season will introduce a whole buffet of major changes for women's basketball, to the extent that coaches are going to have to rework major parts of their strategy to adjust. Most intriguing for me is the 4 quarter system, doing away with halves. This will really affect use of timeouts and the ways fouling is handled.

1) Four Periods instead of two halves.
2) TV time outs reduced from 9 to 7.
3) Spacing of the time outs has changed. Instead of taking breaks near the 16, 12, 8, and 4 minute mark of each half, there will be one media time out taken in each period, somewhere around the 5 minute mark. There will be media time outs following the first and third periods, and there will be one bonus media time out in either the third or fourth period.
4) Coaches’ time outs will be reduced from 5 to 4, and only 3 can be carried over into the second half, (or should I say the last two quarters). There will be one full time out and three 30 second time outs.
5) When a coach calls a time out, in many cases that will become the media time out.
6) Teams will be allowed four personal fouls per quarter. The fifth foul generates a bonus shot.
7) All fouls above the limit will result in two free throws, except when a shooter scored the basket. There will be no more one-and-one bonus free throws in women’s basketball.
8) TV time outs will now run 2:45 instead of 2:30. However, the first horn will sound at 2:30 and the ball will be put in play immediately when the media break ends.
9) When a player fouls out, a coach will have just 15 seconds from the time the referee signals the fifth foul, to put in a substitute. Coaches who take longer will be assessed a technical.
10) The 10 second rule, added recently to the women’s game as a way of speeding movement across mid-court, has been tweaked. The clock will not be reset on most balls knocked out of bounds, unless the team on offense takes a time out.
One more dynamic rule change: In the final minute of play, teams can “advance the ball” when they call a time out. That means throw-ins along the sideline, 28-feet from the basket, instead of passing in bounds from the opposing baseline 94-feet away.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/plethora-of-rule-changes-create-a-new-day-in-acc-women-s-basketball/15001187/

captmojo
10-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Some I like, others...cause concern.

The fifteen seconds to sub in, I like a LOT.

uh_no
10-23-2015, 09:58 AM
fewer timeouts? woot.
rest? barf.

Indoor66
10-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Sounds like an NBA game.

jimsumner
10-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Note the absence of the one-and-one. The fifth foul of the period always results in two shots (except for and-ones, of course).

jimsumner
10-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Note the absence of the one-and-one. The fifth foul of the period always results in two shots (except for and-ones, of course).

The consensus is that rule changes will result in more full-court presses, more fast breaks and better game flow. At least that's the goal. We shall see.

And the reduced TV timeouts will be made up by having a long timeout between the first and second periods and third and fourth periods. Something in the two-and-a-half minute range. The amount of minutes allotted to media timeouts will be exactly the same.