PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode 33 - Seth Davis talks about college basketball

Dev11
10-22-2015, 07:37 AM
Seth Davis joins the illustrious group of Duke alumni and friends who have now appeared as guests on the DBR podcast. He shared a lot of good information with us, but you must stick around for his story at the end. After his segment, we discuss football.

Links:
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

Dev11
10-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Timestamps:

0:00 Welcome to Episode 33!
3:00 Seth Davis '92 joins us. Donald starts the questioning.
4:00 Which conference looks the strongest coming into the season?
5:40 What unheralded team might surprise people this season?
6:50 Will we see more experienced teams leading the country in 2016, rather than freshman-heavy teams?
8:40 Who are the best players in the country?
9:50 What has changed the most about college basketball in Seth's career?
12:30 How have the coaches adapted to the current landscape?
17:00 What is the status of the UNC situation? How has it hurt them so far and going forward?
19:30 What are the keys to the season for the top of the ACC? Seth drops names.
25:10 Which team outside of Duke, UNC, and UVA could take the ACC?
26:40 Seth Davis clowns the podcast crew with a straight face (voice?)
27:20 What are we looking for in the Kentucky game? Somehow football comes up.
30:00 Can Duke win the title?
34:00 What's it like being a Duke alumnus in the college basketball media?
36:50 What is Coach K's secret?
40:00 Seth Davis has stories. This is the most important part of the interview.
42:20 Seth drops the mic and says farewell.
43:20 Sam starts with reactions
45:10 Donald reacts, which leads us into college football.
52:30 Sam tells us about Countdown to Craziness. He liked Amile and Marshall.
1:02:20 Jason gets smart on the Blue-White game.
1:08:40 Moving on to Football, what are we looking for in the Virginia Tech game?
1:16:30 The upcoming few weeks of football are going to be huge for Duke.
1:25:00 Reflections on Steve Spurrier
1:29:00 Goodbye for now!

JasonEvans
10-22-2015, 09:26 AM
People, if you only do one thing today, make sure you listen to the podcast to hear Seth Davis tell his strangest college basketball story (40:00). It is a doozy!!

-Jason "also, shortly after Seth leaves us, you have to hear poor Donald's pain at the Michigan loss to MSU... ouch!!" Evans

luburch
10-22-2015, 10:12 AM
I thought both of Seth's stories were pretty great. As much as coaches claim they don't pay attention to media, they obviously do.

blazindw
10-22-2015, 09:58 PM
People, if you only do one thing today, make sure you listen to the podcast to hear Seth Davis tell his strangest college basketball story (40:00). It is a doozy!!

-Jason "also, shortly after Seth leaves us, you have to hear poor Donald's pain at the Michigan loss to MSU... ouch!!" Evans

I've found a rock to crawl under. It's nice and cozy and keeps me safe. :(

gurufrisbee
10-23-2015, 01:15 AM
I love the podcast generally, but I'm not sure I can stomach this. For years Davis has been constantly negative on Duke - it always feels like he is over doing it to make sure people don't think that since he is an alum that he favors them. But he is extreme to where listening to him year after year feels like I'm listening to another Terd Heel. Just not sure I can handle doing that again.

luburch
10-23-2015, 07:10 AM
I love the podcast generally, but I'm not sure I can stomach this. For years Davis has been constantly negative on Duke - it always feels like he is over doing it to make sure people don't think that since he is an alum that he favors them. But he is extreme to where listening to him year after year feels like I'm listening to another Terd Heel. Just not sure I can handle doing that again.

I think you have Seth Davis and Doug Gottlieb confused. Seth is often critical of Duke, the same as any announcer, but he is not constantly negative.

Plus, his responses when he releases his weekly Top 25 on twitter are fantastic.

JasonEvans
10-23-2015, 10:01 AM

We ask Seth about how he juggles his Duke fandom (he is an alum) and his job and he gave a very thoughtful answer that basically boils down to, "There is nothing bad that one could say about Duke anyway!" What's more, at the very start of the interview he begins by saying it is nice to talk to folks who do not instantly hate him for being a Duke grad. I get the impression that he (and this is probably true of other Duke sports journalists) is constantly being questioned and accused by Duke haters of being biased. I bet the natural response is to --unintentionally-- skew your reporting just a tiny bit less favorably toward Duke. I think folks like Seth and Jay Bilas bend over backwards to seem as unbiased as possible and, as a result, we perceive them as being somewhat biased against Duke. I don't fault them for it one bit.

Seth was pleasant and kind to give us his time. He's one of the good guys in my book.

-Jason "it is interesting though that folks like Phil Ford and Stuart Scott never even begin to hide their pro-Carolina loyalty, while the Duke alums largely try to mask it as much as they can" Evans

MChambers
10-23-2015, 10:09 AM
He lost all credibility with me in 2001 when he insisted Jason Williams was turning pro. I know, I shouldn't carry a grudge, but I do. . .

superdave
10-23-2015, 11:30 AM
He lost all credibility with me in 2001 when he insisted Jason Williams was turning pro. I know, I shouldn't carry a grudge, but I do. . .

Jason Williams should have gone pro. If I were him I would have. That doesnt change my view of Davis for thinking Williams would do what was in his self interest.

Also, to the Podcast Crew - Thank you for putting these together. They are fun.

OldPhiKap
10-23-2015, 06:09 PM
"Back hair?"

I can't undo that mental image. Thanks a lot.

;-)

gurufrisbee
10-24-2015, 12:43 AM
I think you have Seth Davis and Doug Gottlieb confused. Seth is often critical of Duke, the same as any announcer, but he is not constantly negative.

Not confused at all. Ironically I didn't know Davis was a Duke alum for a while and actually had to look it up because he was so constantly negative about Duke that I had guessed he was a NC alum who couldn't get over it.

We ask Seth about how he juggles his Duke fandom (he is an alum) and his job and he gave a very thoughtful answer that basically boils down to, "There is nothing bad that one could say about Duke anyway!" What's more, at the very start of the interview he begins by saying it is nice to talk to folks who do not instantly hate him for being a Duke grad. I get the impression that he (and this is probably true of other Duke sports journalists) is constantly being questioned and accused by Duke haters of being biased. I bet the natural response is to --unintentionally-- skew your reporting just a tiny bit less favorably toward Duke. I think folks like Seth and Jay Bilas bend over backwards to seem as unbiased as possible and, as a result, we perceive them as being somewhat biased against Duke. I don't fault them for it one bit.

Seth was pleasant and kind to give us his time. He's one of the good guys in my book.

"tiny bit less favorably toward Duke" Thank you for that. That will keep me laughing for a long time. It's actually funny you bring up Bilas. He does a terrific job of legitimately being unbiased. Davis sounds like an irrational mad Tar Heel who believes JJ Redick stole his girlfriend and Coach K ran over his dog.

JasonEvans
11-01-2015, 09:17 AM

Karma is a @#^@!^&@!

On the next Duke podcast, Jason and Sam cry as they ask Donald what it is like to be on the wrong end of the two craziest endings of the year in college football. Sigh...

Dev11
11-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Karma is a @#^@!^&@!

On the next Duke podcast, Jason and Sam cry as they ask Donald what it is like to be on the wrong end of the two craziest endings of the year in college football. Sigh...

If you want to know what goes on behind the scenes of the DBR podcast, type any random sampling of your favorite George Carlin words in an email and send them in the middle of the night to Jason and Donald. Congratulations, you're me.

OldPhiKap
11-01-2015, 05:14 PM
If page one of the EK forum today has proven anything, it is that DBR posters DO follow football and are invested in it. I know that has been a question in your collective minds, I think the question is answered. JMHO.

Billy Dat
11-01-2015, 07:06 PM
"Back hair?"

I can't undo that mental image. Thanks a lot.

;-)

"Rick Majerus was a great coach who loved to be naked"
http://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/rick-majerus-great-coach-naked/164400

Apparantly, he was also pretty creative with his waste
http://deadspin.com/5439875/ahole-coach-digest-special-rick-majerus-edition

blazindw
11-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Karma is a @#^@!^&@!

I'm not holding back punches...I'm going to go IN on everything. Better clear your podcast unplayed lists, it will be a must listen!