PDA

View Full Version : USA Basketball: Coach K will be succeeded by Popovich

wilson
10-21-2015, 07:05 AM
In case you missed it, Coach K and Jerry Colangelo recently confirmed that the 2016 Rio Olympics will be K's last tournament at the helm of USA Basketball. Yesterday, elaborating on the subject, Colangelo said that the next coach will almost certainly come from the pro ranks, rather than college. So it looks like poor Cal will have to keep waiting for his turn.
http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/13936303/jerry-colangelo-says-next-usa-basketball-coach-likely-nba

OldPhiKap
10-21-2015, 07:28 AM
In case you missed it, Coach K and Jerry Colangelo recently confirmed that the 2016 Rio Olympics will be K's last tournament at the helm of USA Basketball. Yesterday, elaborating on the subject, Colangelo said that the next coach will almost certainly come from the pro ranks, rather than college. So it looks like poor Cal will have to keep waiting for his turn.
http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/13936303/jerry-colangelo-says-next-usa-basketball-coach-likely-nba

Still time for Cal and Pitino to jump to the league after the season.

JasonEvans
10-21-2015, 10:52 AM

Sounds to me like the perfect job for Pop to take as a semi-retirement gig. Eliminate the 60+ days of travel and cut the number of games you have to coach from 100 to less than 20 per year and Pop would probably gladly switch from NBA to Team USA.

-Jason "I'm not sure there is any other current NBA coach well-suited to the gig... Pop is 66 though (2 years younger than K) and may only be up for handling 1 more Olympic cycle beyond the one K is about to finish" Evans

brevity
10-21-2015, 11:03 AM
Sounds to me like the perfect job for Pop to take as a semi-retirement gig.

This could only work if he stopped coaching the Spurs. If he did both jobs concurrently, the Spurs would have an unfair recruiting advantage during the free agency period. Just like Coach K and Duke for all those years.

Sent from Mitch Kupchak's iPhone

wilson
10-21-2015, 11:04 AM
Sounds to me like the perfect job for Pop to take as a semi-retirement gig. Eliminate the 60+ days of travel and cut the number of games you have to coach from 100 to less than 20 per year and Pop would probably gladly switch from NBA to Team USA.

-Jason "I'm not sure there is any other current NBA coach well-suited to the gig... Pop is 66 though (2 years younger than K) and may only be up for handling 1 more Olympic cycle beyond the one K is about to finish" Evans

This could only work if he stopped coaching the Spurs. If he did both jobs concurrently, the Spurs would have an unfair recruiting advantage during the free agency period. Just like Coach K and Duke for all those years.

Sent from Mitch Kupchak's iPhoneHow about David Blatt? He pretty much doesn't coach the Cavaliers anyway (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/lebron-james-david-blatt-nba-finals-marc-stein-espn).

Owen Meany
10-21-2015, 11:30 AM
I am really glad to see this. I believe Coach K was uniquely qualified to resurrect the USA Team for many reasons.

1.) His many, many years of service for USA basketball in much smaller roles. This proved his commitment to USA basketball with no ulterior motives.
2.) His West Point and military background. Although this may be hard to find in coaches today, I think a commitment to the military also shows a commitment to country and is relevant.
3.) Coach K places great emphasis on "how" you get something done. I believe Coach K was as interested in repairing USA Basketball's image as well as their on court success.
4.) Coach K is well-respected both in the college and NBA ranks. When he first came in there were many people saying that pro players would not listen to Coach K.

It is funny now to hear people talk (complain) about the unfair advantage Team USA gives Coach K and Duke. How soon they forget the disarray USA Basketball was in when he took the position. Not only did the USA lose, but they were perceived as the "Ugly Americans". And many people didn't think a college coach could come in a command respect from the pro players. Coach K MADE this a desirable position. He and Coangelo created this. No doubt other college coaches suddenly want to participate in USA Basketball. But they don't want to build up equity, they want to start at the top. They would like to reap the benefits without the sacrifice. So I hope the Calipari's of the world do get shut out of this position. If Billy Donovan was still a college coach I would be fine with him because he was involved before there was a perceived advantage to be gained.

Popovich is another individual who could be uniquely qualified, including past USA basketball experience and a military background. But I believe he and Coangelo have a past history, so I'm not sure how that will play out. Differences should be put aside, but I believe that Coach K and Coangelo have worked very closely together. So if there are bad feelings between Coangelo and Popovich it may not be as simple as "letting the past go". The new coach and Coangelo may need to get along well in order to work closely together.

MChambers
10-21-2015, 11:50 AM
It is funny now to hear people talk (complain) about the unfair advantage Team USA gives Coach K and Duke. How soon they forget the disarray USA Basketball was in when he took the position. Not only did the USA lose, but they were perceived as the "Ugly Americans". And many people didn't think a college coach could come in a command respect from the pro players. Coach K MADE this a desirable position. He and Coangelo created this. No doubt other college coaches suddenly want to participate in USA Basketball. But they don't want to build up equity, they want to start at the top. They would like to reap the benefits without the sacrifice. So I hope the Calipari's of the world do get shut out of this position. If Billy Donovan was still a college coach I would be fine with him because he was involved before there was a perceived advantage to be gained.
Boy, do I agree with this. It will very interesting to see how USA Basketball does with a new coach. I'm thinking it won't be Larry Brown or George Karl, but they do have relevant experience! ;)

Henderson
10-21-2015, 12:07 PM

Coach K has said repeatedly that the coach of USA Basketball should be an active coach, not a retired coach. I don't know if Jerry feels that way or not.

I don't know that guys will be lining up for this job. Following a legend is a small upside/big downside situation. But I agree with OPK's post above that Cal and Pitino could be candidates. Either might find the NBA pretty attractive if the Team USA job came with it. Their egos are big enough to take the chance.

luburch
10-21-2015, 12:18 PM
*The obligatory throw Brad Stevens name into the hat whenever a good coaching position is being discussed post*

Edouble
10-21-2015, 12:50 PM
Pop is a great coach, but when you factor age into the equation, I think that Billy Donovan has to be the front runner.

NBA player
2 NCAA Championships
3 FIBA Championships with a 19-0 record
NBA (superstar; Durant) Coaching experience

Donovan presents a better candidacy for a more long term solution to Team USA's coaching vacancy. I don't see Pop as more than a stopgap between Coach K and whoever the team's next coach is, who ends up coaching over several Olympics.

grad_devil
10-21-2015, 04:14 PM
I don't see Pop as more than a stopgap between Coach K and whoever the team's next coach is, who ends up coaching over several Olympics.

It worked perfectly with Guthridge and UNC-CH.

patentgeek
10-21-2015, 04:33 PM
*The obligatory throw Brad Stevens name into the hat whenever a good coaching position is being discussed post*

To me, this is much more than an obligatory name. Assuming he's still coaching in the NBA by 2020, he'll have 6-7 years NBA experience by then. He has some experience with USA Basketball. He is highly respected by players and front office types alike for his coaching, organization and communications abilities. And he is young enough that he could coach for multiple Olympic cycles (a la Coach K), whereas Popovich is getting up in years. Stevens has also apparently said he'd jump at the chance if it were offered.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/10/mike_krzyzewskis_replacement_b.html

jgehtland
10-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Does it freak anybody else out that Pop is 2 years younger than K?

Edouble
10-21-2015, 04:51 PM

I don't find those photos to be a fair comparison. Pop's image is taken in darker lighting, shooting up at him, and a closer difference. In Coach K's photo, he is being photographed at a farther distance, he is being shot down on, which is much more flattering, and he is lit with spot lighting that blows out a lot of his wrinkles. Also, Pop is standing there with a bad/awkward expression, while Coach K is photographed while smiling. Just a more flattering and forgiving image of Coach K overall.

Ichabod Drain
10-21-2015, 04:52 PM

Well that picture of coach K is from 2010, He's picked up one or two gray hairs since then.

CameronBornAndBred
10-21-2015, 05:31 PM
Well that picture of coach K is from 2010, He's picked up one or two gray hairs since then.
And rings.

rsvman
10-21-2015, 05:34 PM

Yep.

I actually think Brad Stevens would be very high on the list of coaches likely to get a good hard look at getting the job, and maybe the best choice.

Then we he takes over Duke after Coach K retires it will make even MORE sense.

Henderson
10-21-2015, 06:16 PM
So are folks assuming everyone (Stevens, Pop, Donovan) is chomping at the bit to get at this job? I'm not so sure Jerry just gets to pick someone like that.

When the world of possibles was open to any college or pro coach, I thought "Yeah, lots of guys would give their left basketball for a shot." But if Jerry restricts it to NBA coaches, the pool gets considerably smaller. But maybe Jerry said what he said because he has a Particular Coach in mind.

theAlaskanBear
10-21-2015, 07:12 PM
So are folks assuming everyone (Stevens, Pop, Donovan) is chomping at the bit to get at this job? I'm not so sure Jerry just gets to pick someone like that.

When the world of possibles was open to any college or pro coach, I thought "Yeah, lots of guys would give their left basketball for a shot." But if Jerry restricts it to NBA coaches, the pool gets considerably smaller. But maybe Jerry said what he said because he has a Particular Coach in mind.

I think Pop will be a "caretaker" coach for one cycle. Donovan, Stevens, these guys have years ahead of them and limited experience with the NBA game, and no one EXCEPT for Coach K has both the experience, success, and military background that adds a little special "oomph" to representing your country in the Olympics. I think if Pop will commit for at least one 4-yr cycle, and agrees to bring other coaches along -- Donovan, Stevens, Thibodeau who may replace him...then you will see Colangelo a lot more willing to consider Pop for the job since the culture and organization has been established. Popovich would be a wonderful coach, and I assume he would drop his stupid answer schtick with the Olympic media.

(we have no idea how Donovan will fare in the NBA, although pretty well is my guess, and while Stevens is a good coach, I would like to see a little more experience and success from him)

weezie
10-21-2015, 07:43 PM
...I actually think Brad Stevens would be very high on the list of coaches likely to get a good hard look at getting the job, and maybe the best choice.
Then we he takes over Duke after Coach K retires it will make even MORE sense.

Yeah, well, I'm not member of the Brad Stevens fan club but Tom Izzo sure deserves a nod as Oly coach, considering his clean record and dedication to his profession. He's done some winning, too.

Edouble
10-22-2015, 02:00 PM
I think Pop will be a "caretaker" coach for one cycle. Donovan, Stevens, these guys have years ahead of them and limited experience with the NBA game, and no one EXCEPT for Coach K has both the experience, success, and military background that adds a little special "oomph" to representing your country in the Olympics. I think if Pop will commit for at least one 4-yr cycle, and agrees to bring other coaches along -- Donovan, Stevens, Thibodeau who may replace him...then you will see Colangelo a lot more willing to consider Pop for the job since the culture and organization has been established. Popovich would be a wonderful coach, and I assume he would drop his stupid answer schtick with the Olympic media.

(we have no idea how Donovan will fare in the NBA, although pretty well is my guess, and while Stevens is a good coach, I would like to see a little more experience and success from him)

Yeah, but Coach K had no NBA experience, save for his stint with the Dream Team, when he was brought on board. Larry Brown's NBA experience didn't help him drum up a gold medal.

I personally think NBA experience isn't necessary, or at least one of the most important factors, for the right candidate.

dukelifer
10-22-2015, 04:14 PM

How quickly folks forget Steve Kerr. That is my guess.

SoCalDukeFan
10-22-2015, 04:22 PM
It seems to me that an active NBA coach faces conflict of interest charges. Suppose one of his star players has an injury that is not severe and the player wants to play but the coach keeps him out. Is he jeopardizing the team change of a gold in order to protect his player or is he being prudent. There are many other examples.

SoCal

gumbomoop
10-23-2015, 12:43 PM
It's Popovich. Just announced.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/san-antonio-spurs-coach-gregg-popovich-named-2017-20-usa-basketball-mens-national-team-head-coach

mattman91
10-23-2015, 12:47 PM

http://www.nba.com/spurs/san-antonio-spurs-coach-gregg-popovich-named-2017-20-usa-basketball-mens-national-team-head-coach

Awesome! He was my top choice.

CameronBornAndBred
10-23-2015, 12:47 PM

I like them announcing now; it keeps the philosophy of being a part of the USA team for the long haul alive and at the top of the chain.

flyingdutchdevil
10-23-2015, 12:48 PM

Great choice. Colangelo and K are smart dudes. Take the coach who garners the most respect in the NBA and make him coach of the best players in the NBA.

Coach K was picked not because he is great with X's and O's or because he can relate to the NBA, but rather because he garners so much respect amongst players and he can motivate these players. It's pretty easy to see that the USA is head and shoulders better than anyone else when they play hard. It's getting the players to play hard that is the hurdle, not the talent. And Pop will absolutely get the players to play hard.

Great choice. I think Brad Stevens is too inexperienced to garner the level of respect that a K or a Pop would generate. But there is no doubt that Stevens will one day be a coach of Team USA.

Sidenote: I assume this means that Pop will coach after Timmy retires (contrary to what many believe).

dukenilnil
10-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Great choice. Colangelo and K are smart dudes. Take the coach who garners the most respect in the NBA and make him coach of the best players in the NBA.

Coach K was picked not because he is great with X's and O's or because he can relate to the NBA, but rather because he garners so much respect amongst players and he can motivate these players. It's pretty easy to see that the USA is head and shoulders better than anyone else when they play hard. It's getting the players to play hard that is the hurdle, not the talent. And Pop will absolutely get the players to play hard.

Great choice. I think Brad Stevens is too inexperienced to garner the level of respect that a K or a Pop would generate. But there is no doubt that Stevens will one day be a coach of Team USA.

Sidenote: I assume this means that Pop will coach after Timmy retires (contrary to what many believe).

Word on the street is that Popovich promised L. Aldridge that he'd continue coaching through at least 2019 to get him to agree to come to SA. http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/5/8895917/gregg-popovich-coach-2019-lamarcus-aldridge-san-antonio-spurs

flyingdutchdevil
10-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Word on the street is that Popovich promised L. Aldridge that he'd continue coaching through at least 2019 to get him to agree to come to SA. http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/5/8895917/gregg-popovich-coach-2019-lamarcus-aldridge-san-antonio-spurs

I guess we can now call it 2020 at the earliest ;)

Indoor66
10-23-2015, 01:42 PM
A great choice. He was my selection.

tux
10-23-2015, 02:09 PM

Minor point, but Pop doesn't have to remain the coach of the Spurs in order to be the coach of USAB. In fact, with the change in the schedule (World Cup in 2019, Olympics in 2020), he may very well be thinking about retiring from the NBA prior to those tournaments, or at least the Olympics.

A lot of folks point to influence over free agents making it difficult for an NBA coach. But I think the bigger issue is the time commitment and a conflict of interest with their current NBA team. Coaches don't just go on vacation after the season and show up at training camp several months later. They are salaried employees with a bunch of other responsibilities. Some are GMs or head/pres of basketball operations. I could see that being a problem with some NBA owners. I.e., the idea of giving up your coach for an "exhibition" (as Cuban says) and also allowing him to coach players you'll be competing against the next year. It's one thing for coach K to get credit for guys having great seasons following USAB training, but that could be a sticking point with an NBA team.

Pop makes sense b/c he's in a very stable situation in SA and is on the verge of retirement, etc. You don't want to pick a guy that could be unemployed (not by choice) in the middle of his 4 year stint. I really think Coach K was particularly well-suited for the job. And college coaches probably have more flexible schedules during the summer months, in addition to shorter seasons. They have time to recharge a bit and probably play a bigger role in the ramp up to the USAB training camp. So, I'll be very interested to see who they tap next, after Pop.

Billy Dat
10-23-2015, 02:19 PM
This is just perfect. He's the right guy and it hopefully signals a healing of the ruffled feathers tied to his participation on the 2004 Larry Brown Olympic staff and his "I never got a call" feelings when K was named coach in 2006. I think his presence will insure that the players continue to show up, and it will allow the next guy, whoever that is (Stevens, Donovan, etc.) to continue to build their resume.

Plus, K gets intimate exposure to Pop which only accrues to Duke's benefit. I've always felt that K was the guy to take over for Colangelo when that time comes. This next "quad" ends in 2020. K will be 72 and Colangelo will be 80. Including this season, that would give him 5 more years at Duke. Sounds about right. I just went from being happy to sad.

luburch
10-23-2015, 03:28 PM
This might warrant a separate thread, maybe not, but this article by Woj (Yahoo Woj) takes some pretty heavy shots at Coach K in this article (again). http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-gregg-popovich-and-jerry-colangelo-ended-their-cold-war-to-make-spurs-legend-the-team-usa-coach-191052125.html

Richard Berg
10-23-2015, 03:40 PM
I don't think it's wrong to suggest that USA Ball helps Duke recruit, or that Mason probably wouldn't have made the World Cup team under most other coaches.

K is fiercely loyal. Some people fault him for it. Others love him for it. YMMV.

tux
10-23-2015, 04:44 PM
I don't think it's wrong to suggest that USA Ball helps Duke recruit, or that Mason probably wouldn't have made the World Cup team under most other coaches.

K is fiercely loyal. Some people fault him for it. Others love him for it. YMMV.

Yes, but I don't think an NBA coach was chosen to preserve Duke's recruiting advantage. And I don't think K is staying on to advise just to maintain that advantage either. Woj suggests that K made sure that another college coach wasn't picked. I just don't believe that. I think a lot of coaches (both NBA and college) tired of K's long reign, mainly out of jealousy.

JasonEvans
10-23-2015, 05:04 PM
This might warrant a separate thread, maybe not, but this article by Woj (Yahoo Woj) takes some pretty heavy shots at Coach K in this article (again). http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-gregg-popovich-and-jerry-colangelo-ended-their-cold-war-to-make-spurs-legend-the-team-usa-coach-191052125.html

It should not come as a shock to anyone that bashing Duke and taking unwarranted pot-shots at K are a pretty good way to curry favor with the at-large college basketball audience. Sure, you may turn off the 10-15% of college hoops fans who like Duke and who think K is an admirable dude, but there is a much larger majority who are so deeply jealous of Duke and K's success that it just makes sense to toss out silly allegations whenever you can. Woj is just doing business and the business of hating on Duke is a good one.

-Jason "it has been said time and time again, but I rue the day when we are not hated... they dislike us because we are the gold standard" Evans

BD80
10-23-2015, 05:15 PM

Some very petty, unwarranted shots at Coach K, with no hint of appreciation of what Coach K did to turn Team USA into a desirable job.

My question is whether this observation is valid:

" Popovich will take over the USA National program in 2017 and players will love the idea of performing for him."

Will they? Few of his current players will be around. He'll have 35 yo LeMarcus Aldridge and Kawhi Leonard in his prime.

Most of the current US team will be done. The big name will be KD, who will be battling the Spurs year after year.

Pop will be 70. He's a great coach, but will he still have enough cache to attract the next round of best players once this round of best players steps aside?

tux
10-23-2015, 05:29 PM
Some very petty, unwarranted shots at Coach K, with no hint of appreciation of what Coach K did to turn Team USA into a desirable job.

My question is whether this observation is valid:

" Popovich will take over the USA National program in 2017 and players will love the idea of performing for him."

Will they? Few of his current players will be around. He'll have 35 yo LeMarcus Aldridge and Kawhi Leonard in his prime.

Most of the current US team will be done. The big name will be KD, who will be battling the Spurs year after year.

Pop will be 70. He's a great coach, but will he still have enough cache to attract the next round of best players once this round of best players steps aside?

Not to mention that rebuilding USAB sounds a lot more fun than the expectations of maintaining standards set by others. One thing K is great at (and that's an understatement) is finding motivation in the next thing, and not letting the expectations of success get in the way. It remains to be seen if USAB can maintain this level, or if some of the bad habits will creep back into future teams. It's not a given that USAB will continue to dominate and get the level of commitment seen under K.

superdave
10-23-2015, 05:34 PM

Spurs won the title in 2003, not 2004 as the release states.

Super "buzkillllll" Dave

SCMatt33
10-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Minor point, but Pop doesn't have to remain the coach of the Spurs in order to be the coach of USAB. In fact, with the change in the schedule (World Cup in 2019, Olympics in 2020), he may very well be thinking about retiring from the NBA prior to those tournaments, or at least the Olympics.

A lot of folks point to influence over free agents making it difficult for an NBA coach. But I think the bigger issue is the time commitment and a conflict of interest with their current NBA team. Coaches don't just go on vacation after the season and show up at training camp several months later. They are salaried employees with a bunch of other responsibilities. Some are GMs or head/pres of basketball operations. I could see that being a problem with some NBA owners. I.e., the idea of giving up your coach for an "exhibition" (as Cuban says) and also allowing him to coach players you'll be competing against the next year. It's one thing for coach K to get credit for guys having great seasons following USAB training, but that could be a sticking point with an NBA team.

Pop makes sense b/c he's in a very stable situation in SA and is on the verge of retirement, etc. You don't want to pick a guy that could be unemployed (not by choice) in the middle of his 4 year stint. I really think Coach K was particularly well-suited for the job. And college coaches probably have more flexible schedules diuring the summer months, in addition to shorter seasons. They have time to recharge a bit and probably play a bigger role in the ramp up to the USAB training camp. So, I'll be very interested to see who they tap next, after Pop.

The other interesting aspect to this is the new qualification process that will have games during the season. FIBA has already acknowledged that NBA players won't be in any November or February, and though they claim that only those who made the finals will be out for June windows, realistically, anyone who made a run to the s cond round of the playoffs will likely want to rest at least a little while. As far as I know, USA basketball has not addressed what its plans are for these in season windows. If Pop is retired by 2017-18, he could conceivably coach the qualifiers, though who knows if he's interested in coaching a mix of presumably D-League and Euro players. The other question is if Pop isn't coaching those qualifiers, who is? No NBA or college coach will be available for November or February so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

-jk
10-23-2015, 06:35 PM
K as Machiavelli - love it!

-jk

DukeFanSince1990
10-23-2015, 07:04 PM
When Gregg Popovich was asked about his new role, he gave a slight shrug and walked off.

gurufrisbee
10-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Does this guarantee Duncan a spot on the team? I mean, has Pop ever won without him?

It's a tough spot to be in. It's literally impossible to pick a successor to the greatest coach in the history of the sport, but this was about as good as they probably could have done. He has the respect of the best players in the game and that's the most essential thing for that coaching spot.

I hope Duke can do as well when they have to also face uneviable task of finding Coach K's successor, too.

Atlanta Duke
10-23-2015, 08:13 PM
So K maneuvered to have Pop appointed to coach USA Basketball in order to block Cal from coaching the team in order to perpetuate the master plan of K initially joining USA Basketball in order to help recruiting?

Got it.

PSurprise
10-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Does this guarantee Duncan a spot on the team? I mean, has Pop ever won without him?

It's a tough spot to be in. It's literally impossible to pick a successor to the greatest coach in the history of the sport, but this was about as good as they probably could have done. He has the respect of the best players in the game and that's the most essential thing for that coaching spot.

I hope Duke can do as well when they have to also face uneviable task of finding Coach K's successor, too.

Why not Pop?!? 😀

Tom B.
10-23-2015, 10:55 PM
It should not come as a shock to anyone that bashing Duke and taking unwarranted pot-shots at K are a pretty good way to curry favor with the at-large college basketball audience. Sure, you may turn off the 10-15% of college hoops fans who like Duke and who think K is an admirable dude, but there is a much larger majority who are so deeply jealous of Duke and K's success that it just makes sense to toss out silly allegations whenever you can. Woj is just doing business and the business of hating on Duke is a good one.

-Jason "it has been said time and time again, but I rue the day when we are not hated... they dislike us because we are the gold standard" Evans

Maybe, but there seems to be something deeper at work here. Woj isn't just taking shots at K and Duke, he's bending over backwards to do it. I mean, that was ostensibly an article about Popovich's relationship with Colangelo -- what does K have to do with any of that? What gives, Woj? Did K run over your dog or something? I don't recall a writer going out of his way to nurse a grudge against K like this since Gregg Doyel.

CharlestonDave
10-24-2015, 05:40 AM
The best college coach being succeeded by the best pro coach . Makes perfect sense to me.

It would be the same years ago if John Wooden had coached the USA basketball team and then was succeeded by either Red Auerbach or Phil Jackson.

YmoBeThere
10-24-2015, 06:06 AM
The best college coach being succeeded by the best pro coach . Makes perfect sense to me.

And a West Point grad being succeeded by an Air Force Academy grad makes further sense to me.

JasonEvans
10-24-2015, 09:09 AM
The other interesting aspect to this is the new qualification process that will have games during the season. FIBA has already acknowledged that NBA players won't be in any November or February, and though they claim that only those who made the finals will be out for June windows, realistically, anyone who made a run to the s cond round of the playoffs will likely want to rest at least a little while. As far as I know, USA basketball has not addressed what its plans are for these in season windows. If Pop is retired by 2017-18, he could conceivably coach the qualifiers, though who knows if he's interested in coaching a mix of presumably D-League and Euro players. The other question is if Pop isn't coaching those qualifiers, who is? No NBA or college coach will be available for November or February so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

FIBA is doing its best to be utterly irrelevant. By scheduling much of its competition during windows where NBA players cannot participate, FIBA is ensuring that no one will care about its tournaments. If it gets second tier (D-League players) USA players, then no one will watch. What's more, most of the stronger international teams feature NBA players as well. This doesn't just hurt the US, it hurts Spain, France, Canada and others. The only ones who benefit from the current FIBA structure are teams with players not good enough to play in the NBA, like China and other Asian teams. Congrats, FIBA, on making your tournaments irrelevant to the rest of the world.

-Jason "one of Colangelo and K's great successes was getting a second team of NBA stars to play in off years to give the Olympic team guys a break... if FIBA has its way, the US will be using 8th or 9th tier players" Evans

Billy Dat
10-25-2015, 01:40 PM
Fran FraschillaVerified account ‏@franfraschilla 4h
@WojYahooNBA with great insight on @USA basketball hire of Gregg Popovich. Good choice. Machiavelli approves, too.

Like Wojnarowski (who takes plenty of direct shots), Fran Frashcilla is a person I find taking veiled shots a K whenever he gets a chance. I think the above is another example.

-jk
10-25-2015, 01:50 PM
K as Machiavelli - love it!

-jk

Fran FraschillaVerified account ‏@franfraschilla 4h
@WojYahooNBA with great insight on @USA basketball hire of Gregg Popovich. Good choice. Machiavelli approves, too.

Like Wojnarowski (who takes plenty of direct shots), Fran Frashcilla is a person I find taking veiled shots a K whenever he gets a chance. I think the above is another example.

No fair! I went all Machiavelli first!

-jk