PDA

View Full Version : Lindy's

gurufrisbee
10-19-2015, 02:11 AM
I enjoy the sports magazines as resources and previews and fun reading for the sports seasons. Today I got the Lindy's for College Basketball this season. I've gotten it for several years now.

One of the features they do is a top 25 of each of the five positions. Then they also due a top ten for the teams with the best frontcourts and best backcourts in the nation.

Grayson made it as #4 on the shooting guards list (those lists do not include freshmen - they used to, but stopped a couple years ago).

That was it.

No one else from Duke made the top 25 of the position lists and Duke didn't make it as having one of the top ten front courts or back courts.

For a sense of contrast, Kentucky, NC, Maryland, and Kansas made BOTH the top front courts AND back courts.

While Thornton couldn't make the list as a freshman, five other ACC schools got point guards on that top twenty five. Grayson was one of five ACC players on the shooting guard list. 4 ACC on the small forward list, three ACC on the power forward list, six ACC on the center list.

Sort of makes me wonder why they think Duke will win any games at all.

On the other hand, my Athlon magazine has Duke in the national title game again as it's prediction. :)

OldPhiKap
10-19-2015, 06:23 AM
I enjoy the sports magazines as resources and previews and fun reading for the sports seasons. Today I got the Lindy's for College Basketball this season. I've gotten it for several years now.

One of the features they do is a top 25 of each of the five positions. Then they also due a top ten for the teams with the best frontcourts and best backcourts in the nation.

Grayson made it as #4 on the shooting guards list (those lists do not include freshmen - they used to, but stopped a couple years ago).

That was it.

No one else from Duke made the top 25 of the position lists and Duke didn't make it as having one of the top ten front courts or back courts.

For a sense of contrast, Kentucky, NC, Maryland, and Kansas made BOTH the top front courts AND back courts.

While Thornton couldn't make the list as a freshman, five other ACC schools got point guards on that top twenty five. Grayson was one of five ACC players on the shooting guard list. 4 ACC on the small forward list, three ACC on the power forward list, six ACC on the center list.

On the other hand, my Athlon magazine has Duke in the national title game again as it's prediction. :)

If they do not rank freshman, it is little surprise. Last year, where did they have QC? I am guessing lower than they have GA (Wgich is not fair, really, but GA's title performance certainly vaulted him up the list).

ricks68
10-19-2015, 09:57 AM
The reason they have us as a contender is due to the fact that they left off a top 25 for the coach position.😉

ricks

wilson
10-19-2015, 10:01 AM
The reason they have us as a contender is due to the fact that they left off a top 25 for the coach position.😉

ricksricks, I think you said this with tongue somewhat in cheek, but I believe this is the key factor for this or really any Duke team. The rapid rate of personnel turnover in college basketball is such that it's very much a coach's game now, and as you've said, we've got the best one. Perhaps a bit of bulletin board material in this preseason breakdown, but by no means is this any cause for concern with regard to the overall state of our program.

ricks68
10-19-2015, 12:22 PM
ricks, I think you said this with tongue somewhat in cheek, but I believe this is the key factor for this or really any Duke team. The rapid rate of personnel turnover in college basketball is such that it's very much a coach's game now, and as you've said, we've got the best one. Perhaps a bit of bulletin board material in this preseason breakdown, but by no means is this any cause for concern with regard to the overall state of our program.

Yep. Totally agree. Unfortunately, for me at least, is that it has taken a lot of the fun of watching our players develop over the years into a cohesive team in our quest for excellence. Now, it has become evident that the concentration is more towards winning a championship "in the moment" with what we have right now. I really enjoyed watching Hill, Hill, Laettner, Battier, Duhon, Scheyer, Cook, Zoubek, Smith, etc., etc., etc. develop over a period of years to become champions. Yes, I enjoyed watching this past year's excellent freshman play and get better throughout the one year they played for us. It's obviously not the same (or as satisfying) for me, however, as following our outstanding past players who earned championships for us by growing over a 3 or 4 year span. But then, I guess I am just an old Crustie.:)

ricks

madscavenger
10-19-2015, 08:24 PM
ricks, I think you said this with tongue somewhat in cheek.......................................

But rick never says anything with tongue in cheek. He's a straight shooter. Brisket maybe, but tongue?

Wahoo2000
10-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Yep. Totally agree. Unfortunately, for me at least, is that it has taken a lot of the fun of watching our players develop over the years into a cohesive team in our quest for excellence. Now, it has become evident that the concentration is more towards winning a championship "in the moment" with what we have right now. I really enjoyed watching Hill, Hill, Laettner, Battier, Duhon, Scheyer, Cook, Zoubek, Smith, etc., etc., etc. develop over a period of years to become champions. Yes, I enjoyed watching this past year's excellent freshman play and get better throughout the one year they played for us. It's obviously not the same (or as satisfying) for me, however, as following our outstanding past players who earned championships for us by growing over a 3 or 4 year span. But then, I guess I am just an old Crustie.:)

ricks

Assuming Virginia ever gets to the point where we attain some one-and-done type talent, this is what I'll lament. I've loved nothing more about my team over the last few seasons than seeing how the players grow and develop under Bennett's tutelage, and the way the player develop that real familial bond over the period of 3 or 4 years all playing together as a core group. These days, it seems collections of stars are more likely to bring you a title, but there something very old-school in me that loves the TEAM of players overachieving because they execute flawlessly and play for each other, and not any one individual.

EDIT - not to label Duke as a "collection of stars". I just feel something sentimental is lost when you don't build around a core of multi-year players. The results are undeniably great though.

awhom111
10-19-2015, 09:47 PM
Lindy's does rank some freshmen. In this case though, it is on the women's side where they gave Angela Salvadores their preseason freshman of the year.

Saratoga2
10-19-2015, 10:15 PM

That was it.

Grayson reminds me of Aaron Craft in that he is a tough kid with a high motor and I expect his defense to improve with more reps. He could well be one of our main scorers for our elite team and that could easily make him noted on the shooting guard list.

devildeac
10-19-2015, 10:47 PM
But rick never says anything with tongue in cheek. He's a straight shooter. Brisket maybe, but tongue?

I'd wager they don't barbecue tongue down in Texas...

ricks68
10-20-2015, 01:57 AM

I would post the most magnificent picture of a beef rib from Killen's right now, but for some reason I have been unable to post pictures for a few years, now.:(

I did see Ray Wylie Hubbard playing at a small club here in Asheville a few days ago, however. (At least it kept my mind off missing the best BBQ in the world------but then, so has the incredible Piston Expresso Stout I have been partaking of the past 6 days in a row over at Burial Beer.;):D)

ricks

FerryFor50
10-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Grayson reminds me of Aaron Craft in that he is a tough kid with a high motor and I expect his defense to improve with more reps. He could well be one of our main scorers for our elite team and that could easily make him noted on the shooting guard list.

So, Aaron Craft without defensive ability and with offensive skills?

NSDukeFan
10-22-2015, 11:36 AM
So, Aaron Craft without defensive ability and with offensive skills?

And a little taller, a bit better leaper and not as good a distributor.

Troublemaker
10-22-2015, 01:41 PM
And a little taller, a bit better leaper and not as good a distributor.

They both like Whole Foods, craft beer, and The Wire, though.

ChillinDuke
10-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Did somebody say The Wire?

I just saw McNulty on the streets of NYC on Tuesday night. No joke.

I thought I was in Baltimore for the rest of the night. (but not Hamsterdam).

- Chillin

duke blue brewcrew
10-22-2015, 04:00 PM

That was it.

I try to not pay attention to pre-season hype and rankings, or at least not place too much importance on what the prognosticators are saying. It's rare that they hit the nail on the head. It's a lot of fun to watch them eat crow at the end of the season when they have to address just how wrong they were. That said, it's tough to completely disagree with the Grayson Allen being the only Duke guy ranked.