PDA

View Full Version : Post-CTC Poll: Concerned about the Offense?

Troublemaker
10-18-2015, 10:27 AM
What's your general feeling about what you saw?

uh_no
10-18-2015, 10:52 AM
They've had what. ..a couple practices? Not worried

OldPhiKap
10-18-2015, 10:57 AM
They've had what. ..a couple practices? Not worried

According to K, they have had 12 practices and the focus has been on defense primarily. He said the D is behind the O right now, and he is looking forward to a live game in (now) 12 days.

Bob Green
10-18-2015, 12:18 PM
This team is still learning to walk, running will take some time. I'm not concerned because it is October.

COYS
10-18-2015, 01:05 PM
For all the credit K gets for his defense first focus, he is, in my eyes, the best at getting his offenses to click. Only 2007 saw the Duke offense outside of the top 20 in kenpom adj efficiency. Even in years that didn't end well (like 2012), Duke was at or near the top in efficiency at various points during the season. It really doesn't seem to matter what lineup K has. True point guard or no true point guard, big or small, guys who can create do themselves or who need to be set up, it just seems like the staff can always push the right buttons to get the most out of our guys.

Obviously the offense will look a lot different than last season when Tyus was the clear orchestrator and Jahlil was option number 1. We'll probably see a lot more motion plus one on one opportunities for Brandon and Grayson. With Amile and Marshall, I'm hopeful we'll be a bit more formidable on the offensive glass, too. But no matter what, I'm confident our offense will come together.

Troublemaker
10-18-2015, 05:17 PM
For all the credit K gets for his defense first focus, he is, in my eyes, the best at getting his offenses to click. Only 2007 saw the Duke offense outside of the top 20 in kenpom adj efficiency. Even in years that didn't end well (like 2012), Duke was at or near the top in efficiency at various points during the season. It really doesn't seem to matter what lineup K has. True point guard or no true point guard, big or small, guys who can create do themselves or who need to be set up, it just seems like the staff can always push the right buttons to get the most out of our guys.

Obviously the offense will look a lot different than last season when Tyus was the clear orchestrator and Jahlil was option number 1. We'll probably see a lot more motion plus one on one opportunities for Brandon and Grayson. With Amile and Marshall, I'm hopeful we'll be a bit more formidable on the offensive glass, too. But no matter what, I'm confident our offense will come together.

That's a great point, COYS. I regret not making that a choice, i.e. "Pssh, Coach K almost always has a great offense. No concern."

He's actually a lot like two other active American coaching legends in Belichick and Popovich in that Coach K started off with a great defensive reputation and then kind of transformed himself somewhere along the way into being arguably his sport's best offensive coach.

fuse
10-18-2015, 05:23 PM
Worried is hyperbolic / an overstatement.

I had hoped it would be more obvious- I'd say I am wondering who will become consistent scorers / scoring threats.

jipops
10-18-2015, 05:27 PM
If you are coming in with the expectation that this year's offense is going to be the same as last season's, then yea...the sky may be falling for you. But the reality is this team is going to be very, very different in almost every way. But still very good.

Kedsy
10-18-2015, 06:05 PM

I agree with this completely. If defense is our calling card this year (and I think it will be) then (a) it'll be a refreshing change of pace from recent seasons; and (b) the team will be fine.

camion
10-18-2015, 11:36 PM
I couldn't find the, "We're doomed!!" button.

Scorp4me
10-19-2015, 08:06 AM
I think the offense will improve as the year progress. It's still Sirk's first year, a bunch of young receivers, a new offensive line...oh wait, you meant basketball. Sorry...carry on :)

captmojo
10-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Reminder:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYtoz-t-bbY

Kfanarmy
10-19-2015, 09:33 AM
That's a great point, COYS. I regret not making that a choice, i.e. "Pssh, Coach K almost always has a great offense. No concern."

He's actually a lot like two other active American coaching legends in Belichick and Popovich in that Coach K started off with a great defensive reputation and then kind of transformed himself somewhere along the way into being arguably his sport's best offensive coach.

well I don't think, unlike Belichick, we will discover Coach K spent a lot of his time working outside the rules to win. Even in a results only world, I don't relish seeing their names together in the same discussion.

flyingdutchdevil
10-19-2015, 09:39 AM
...but not because of CTC. Because our returning players, with the exception of Grayson, do not have an offensive mindset. Jefferson, Jones, and MP3 are all more defensive-minded players, and good-to-really-good ones at that. I think our offense will primarily need to come from Grayson, Ingram, Thronton, and Luke, and there are a lot of question marks about those fellas right now given that 3/4 haven't played one college game and the best of the bunch is extremely talented but extremely thin.

On defense, however, is where I think we will be stellar. Only Jeter, Kennard, and Allen come in without a reputation for defense, and Allen's work ethic will turn him into a plus defender (and it sounds like the open practice and CTC confirmed that). Can't wait to see top 10 defense all year long.