PDA

View Full Version : Which of these options best describes your Duke fanhood?

wilson
10-14-2015, 05:37 PM
*FOOTBALL CONTENT WARNING*

Last night/today's discussion about rising football content on the board has me wondering: What's the breakdown of basketball-only vs. more inclusive Duke fans here?
I think we all know that basketball is where our bread is buttered, but I think it's also clear on a daily basis that most people here love a lot more about Duke than just basketball.

Kedsy
10-14-2015, 05:56 PM
*FOOTBALL CONTENT WARNING*

Last night/today's discussion about rising football content on the board has me wondering: What's the breakdown of basketball-only vs. more inclusive Duke fans here?
I think we all know that basketball is where our bread is buttered, but I think it's also clear on a daily basis that most people here love a lot more about Duke than just basketball.

I'm a fan of all things Duke, but I'm only an obsessive fan about Duke basketball.

wilson
10-14-2015, 05:59 PM
I'm a fan of all things Duke, but I'm only an obsessive fan about Duke basketball.Yeah, I can pretty much get on board with that statement as a truth about myself as well, but I still care about Duke football way more than any other team, college or pro. In fact, at this point, it's basically the only football team I care about at all.
I divested myself of all other sporting obsessions about a year and a half or two years ago for reasons of mental, emotional, and marital health, but I made the up-front deal that I got to keep Duke basketball.

duke blue brewcrew
10-14-2015, 06:22 PM
I'm a fan of all things Duke, but I'm only an obsessive fan about Duke basketball.

Since regaining my sense of hope for the football program again after the Coach Cut arrival, I obsess about both programs pretty equally. Due to the "pull for the underdog" nature of my personality, I find myself giving a little more love to the football team these days. A) It's needed, it's deserved, and it is football season after all. B) The basketball program is in great hands and gets plenty of love.

Pghdukie
10-14-2015, 06:22 PM
I will agree with kedsy - But I have also been on the Football bandwagon for years now.Basketball rules for sure, but football certainly has come along way. Now we just have to get butts in the seats.

Edouble
10-14-2015, 06:30 PM
Very clever there, packaging the Nobel Laureates with the football.

And here I thought big time college football was supposed to be the antithesis of academia. :rolleyes:

But, I'll bite (and vote). I suppose I support all things Duke, but I don't really care to spend my time reading threads about football. As long as we have to have a football team, better that they be good than bad!

Go Devils!!!!!

Bluedog
10-14-2015, 06:38 PM

I would agree with this. Are we just assuming the first option is "fan of everything, but basketball trumps everything by far?" There does seem to be a schism on this site when it comes to football. I watch Duke football games when I'm around and it's on (or available to stream) and cheer for them most certainly, but I don't clear out my schedule and do everything in my power to be able to do so like I do for basketball. And I can only name a few players unlike basketball where I know the entire roster and recruits. Would be interesting to distinguish between those two types of fans...as I know there are people like that on the football side here too. But I'm most definitely a fan of "everything Duke." Heck, when women's golf is competing for a national title, I eagerly click refresh on the latest standings. That characterization seems to fit both options #1 and #2, though.

wilson
10-14-2015, 06:41 PM
I would agree with this. Are we just assuming the first option is "fan of everything, but basketball trumps everything by far?" There does seem to be a schism on this site when it comes to football. I watch Duke football games when I'm around and it's on and cheer for them most certainly, but I don't clear out my schedule and do everything in my power to be able to do so like I do for basketball. Would be interesting to distinguish between those two types of fans...as I know there are people like that on the football side here too.Like I said, I think we all know that basketball is where our bread is buttered, but I pay close attention to all Duke sports. As Kedsy said, I only truly live and die with basketball, but in contrast to you, I do plan my fall Saturdays around Duke football. So for me, you would be option #2. I probably could have articulated the distinctions between the choices a bit better.

wilson
10-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Very clever there, packaging the Nobel Laureates with the football. There was a little tongue-in-cheek flavor to that, but I mostly meant it seriously. I celebrated the announcement of Dr. Modrich's Nobel Prize the other day. I love hearing that a young Dukie has won a Rhodes Scholarship or notched some other notable achievement. I love to see Duke scholars' research and discoveries, or hear them on NPR talking about some area of expertise. I'm really proud of Duke's presence in the world, well beyond any field of play.

BigWayne
10-14-2015, 07:03 PM
I am a fan of all Duke sports, but especially Men's BB, FB, and Men's Lacrosse. I find discussion of Duke FB much more interesting than Women's BB, which is covered here extensively.

I am also a fan of Duke related people like the recent Nobel laureate and many others. However, there are many Duke administrators I am not a fan of, so I can't sign up for the "all things Duke" option.

OldPhiKap
10-14-2015, 08:13 PM
1. Football summer to bowl, basketball tip to tourney (with some overlap, but basketball doesn't really start until conference play).
2. Duke, generally (academics clearly included)
3. Any Duke team playing Carolina.
4. Lacrosse.
5. Soccer, men and women.
6. Offseason football, basketball.
7. Women's basketball (nothing personal, I find it hard to sit and watch women's basketball except big games)
8. All other Duke sports

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-14-2015, 08:21 PM
To reference Coach Cutcliffe, I'm trusting the process. It was a little disappointing that there is not yet a choice that reads:

I'm a Duke football fan and everything else is secondary.

OldPhiKap
10-14-2015, 08:31 PM
It was a little disappointing that there is not yet a choice that reads:

THIS is why I love DiBD's posts.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-14-2015, 08:45 PM
THIS is why I love DiBD's posts.
Thank you kind, sir. I try to be selective in my comments and focus on the cutting edge of opinion and knowledge.

duke blue brewcrew
10-14-2015, 08:56 PM
Thank you kind, sir. I try to be selective in my comments and focus on the cutting edge of opinion and knowledge.

And you hit a seemingly effortless, and always graceful homerun each and everytime :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-14-2015, 09:11 PM
And you hit a seemingly effortless, and always graceful homerun each and everytime :)
I attribute it all to an outstanding liberal arts education earned at Dear Ole Duke.

MarkD83
10-14-2015, 09:21 PM
There was an option missing.

I visit this board because I hate UNC (oh wait that is why I visit Pack Pride).

Dukehky
10-14-2015, 09:37 PM
I care very much about the vast majority of Duke Athletics, but I have made my negative feelings about certain aspects of the University abundantly clear over the years, so I could not choose the first option. However, I love Duke basketball, football, women's basketball, and I had friends on the lacrosse team (kind of terrible people, but fun to be around) so I used to pay close attention to them, not too much anymore.

flyingdutchdevil
10-14-2015, 10:39 PM
e) A Duke University fan first, Duke basketball fan second, and every other sport third.

I love Duke. I really do. And I think Duke basketball really epitomizes the greatness that is Duke. I enjoy supporting Duke football and other sports, but I really put Duke basketball first. The reasons are as follows:

a) My first year of Duke basketball was 2003-04. I didn't know what the hell college basketball was before then (I'm an international, remember). That year had Duhon, Redick, Ewing, Deng, and Williams as the starting 5. Kinda hard to hate Duke with that line-up.

b) I attended Duke during 2003-2007, better known as the "Duke is the laughing stock of college football". I think we won <4 ACC games in that time span. I never became a Duke football fan nor a college football during that time and, to this day, I still am not.

c) There really wasn't much passion for non-revenue generating sports when I was there. Sure, students went to soccer games, lacrosse games, fencing matches, etc etc, but the passion was certainly subdued. I enjoyed going to a soccer game here and there, but most of my friends didn't care at all.

d) Premier League and Champions League games were on during the day (2-4pm). That is awesome. That, and Duke basketball, fulfilled my love for sports during those 4 years. Not much has changed since.

killerleft
10-14-2015, 10:58 PM
To reference Coach Cutcliffe, I'm trusting the process. It was a little disappointing that there is not yet a choice that reads:

We have a winner!:)

AustinDevil
10-15-2015, 10:09 AM

I would have hesitated over lumping my Duke basketball fandom as being secondary with all else, but I would still have ended up voting for this option!

David Bunkley
10-15-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm here for the beer.

awhom111
10-15-2015, 08:46 PM
I think I answered this question at some point last season here:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?34786-How-many-on-here-are-primarly-fans-of-Duke-Women-s-Basketball&p=764734#post764734

Interesting question. Here is my approximate ranking of Duke programs based on my emotional investment:

Women's Basketball
Volleyball
Men's Lacrosse
Women's Soccer
Women's Lacrosse
Football
Men's Soccer
Women's Tennis
Field Hockey
Men's Basketball
Men's Tennis
Women's Golf
Baseball
Wrestling
Women's Cross Country
Men's Golf
Women's Track and Field
Men's Track and Field
Men's Cross Country
Women's Swimming and Diving
Men's Swimming and Diving
Rowing
Women's Fencing
Men's Fencing

Compared to then, Men's Golf, Women's Golf, Wrestling, and Field Hockey are probably at least a slot higher. Men's Soccer is dropping pretty fast. Soon there will be a softball team to add to the mix.

Edouble
10-15-2015, 08:59 PM
I think I answered this question at some point last season here:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?34786-How-many-on-here-are-primarly-fans-of-Duke-Women-s-Basketball&p=764734#post764734

Interesting question. Here is my approximate ranking of Duke programs based on my emotional investment:

Women's Basketball
Volleyball
Men's Lacrosse
Women's Soccer
Women's Lacrosse
Football
Men's Soccer
Women's Tennis
Field Hockey
Men's Basketball
Men's Tennis
Women's Golf
Baseball
Wrestling
Women's Cross Country
Men's Golf
Women's Track and Field
Men's Track and Field
Men's Cross Country
Women's Swimming and Diving
Men's Swimming and Diving
Rowing
Women's Fencing
Men's Fencing

Compared to then, Men's Golf, Women's Golf, Wrestling, and Field Hockey are probably at least a slot higher. Men's Soccer is dropping pretty fast. Soon there will be a softball team to add to the mix.

Why is the male/female delineation left off of Men's/Women's Rowing? Too difficult to say which you prefer? The women nudged out the men by one line in swimming, track and field, and fencing. The rowers couldn't quite stroke your preference?

cspan37421
10-15-2015, 08:59 PM
Fanhood? Oh, with an F? I totally misread that ....

;)

awhom111
10-16-2015, 01:21 AM
Why is the male/female delineation left off of Men's/Women's Rowing? Too difficult to say which you prefer? The women nudged out the men by one line in swimming, track and field, and fencing. The rowers couldn't quite stroke your preference?

Men's Rowing is only a club sport at Duke and not an NCAA sport anyway so the athletic department does not count it as theirs. Out of all the club sports, I probably knew the most men's rowers during my time at Duke so I guess they can go behind Men's Volleyball on the non-varsity list.

Scorp4me
10-16-2015, 08:25 AM
I just know we need more football talk here =)

nocilla
10-16-2015, 08:54 AM
I have always liked football as a sport more than basketball. I even played college football briefly but was done in by an ACL tear. I also love Duke. So my fan hood of Duke has been basketball centric for most of my life simply because of the success of the teams. Now that the football team is doing well, my current fan hood is probably split evenly. However, during football season, I am a lot more interested in reading about football than I am about preseason basketball.

OldPhiKap
10-16-2015, 09:18 AM
I have always liked football as a sport more than basketball. I even played college football briefly but was done in by an ACL tear. I also love Duke. So my fan hood of Duke has been basketball centric for most of my life simply because of the success of the teams. Now that the football team is doing well, my current fan hood is probably split evenly. However, during football season, I am a lot more interested in reading about football than I am about preseason basketball.

But but but -- we haven't decided how many minutes per game Obi is going to get!

Absolutely agree. To every thing there is a season. Right now it is the heart of the football season, with each week getting bigger from here on out.

Lar77
10-16-2015, 10:38 AM
But but but -- we haven't decided how many minutes per game Obi is going to get!

Absolutely agree. To every thing there is a season. Right now it is the heart of the football season, with each week getting bigger from here on out.

Agree. Our football team is the front runner in the Coastal with 4 big games coming up. Basketball is building up, but the guys are still in pre season practice.

Has our Nobel prize winner started working out playing time allocations and positions? Will Steve Spurrier be the new spokesman for the Men's Rowing team?

NSDukeFan
10-16-2015, 12:53 PM

Seasons?
Arriving on campus, preseason/ recruiting season
Start of practice
CTC, Phases 1-?
Post-championship glory or Sadness at the end of another season and some players careers
Check out Dukies in the NBA season / NBA playoffs
Recruiting season
One of the minutes projection seasons
Nick Horvath all-star summer season

I am a basketball fan first, became a Duke basketball fan, then a DBR fan, then a fan of most things Duke and this board had gotten me interested in the quite fascinating story of Duke football.

JNort
10-16-2015, 06:09 PM

Didn't really see an option for me. I love all Duke sports and watch when I can (especially the football team). However basketball is the only one where I have an unhealthy obsession

gurufrisbee
10-17-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm a massive Duke men's basketball fan.

I'll root for Duke women's basketball or lacrosse against anyone else, but not really actively follow them.

I'll root for Duke football against almost anyone else (maybe everyone except Washington) and follow them a little more because of a general bigger interest in football.

I won't really follow anything else, but if I happen to hear Duke did well in something else I'll be extra happy about it.