PDA

View Full Version : Spurrier retiring, immediately

94duke
10-12-2015, 09:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13875307/steve-spurrier-south-carolina-gamecocks-retiring

BD80
10-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Maybe he is taking the other USC job

throatybeard
10-12-2015, 10:13 PM
I hope he isn't ill.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2015, 10:20 PM
I hope he isn't ill.

Me too. But AFAIK, it has more to do with 2-4 and preferring to play golf.

BD80
10-12-2015, 10:24 PM

Uh oh. I hope he doesn't call ol' roy looking for a regular partner

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-12-2015, 10:26 PM
Steve's not one to give up, especially not to follow his hobbies. It may be that the losing season, then the tough situation following the massive flooding became the last straw.

I've been hearing that there are serious questions about how long it will be and what it take to be able to use the stadium and adjoining areas.

I hope there's no more to this story that what we see on the surface.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Steve's not one to give up, especially not to follow his hobbies. It may be that the losing season, then the tough situation following the massive flooding became the last straw.

I've been hearing that there are serious questions about how long it will be and what it take to be able to use the stadium and adjoining areas.

Agreed. Story here in Augusta though has been that he got into the National and thus is able to do more than just "a hobby." But whatever the reasons, he is one of my favorites.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-12-2015, 10:57 PM
Agreed. Story here in Augusta though has been that he got into the National and thus is able to do more than just "a hobby." But whatever the reasons, he is one of my favorites.
Ahhhh, maybe Mrs. Miles will be there, too.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2015, 11:03 PM
Ahhhh, maybe Mrs. Miles will be there, too.

;-). All things possible.

53n206
10-12-2015, 11:11 PM
I was going to ask about the National. It seems that he really wanted to be a member. It was discussed when he took the South Carolina job.

SCMatt33
10-12-2015, 11:16 PM
I wonder if he's trying to give one of his assistants a leg up on getting the job (a la Bo Ryan). Getting a half season audition isn't the worst way for that to happen. Good luck to the HBC in his future endeavors. Maybe we'll see him on the selection committee soon so he can get Duke in the playoff!

wavedukefan70s
10-13-2015, 08:42 AM

It will be a while till we can recover from the floods.I feel for the people
That got it bad.

duke blue brewcrew
10-13-2015, 09:31 AM
I'm reasonably sure that no one who posts on this board wanted to see the HBC leave under such odd circumstances. I certainly didn't see this coming, especially after his pre-season dig at the Cheaters, favoring a future match-up with Duke instead, during an interview that we all enjoyed. I hope he's OK, I wish him well in retirement, and I will be forever grateful for everything he did for Duke Football throughout his career.

Indoor66
10-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Best wishes to the Ole' Ball Coach. I hope they all go straight down the fairway for him.

75Crazie
10-13-2015, 10:11 AM
I guess I am in the minority when it comes to my feelings about Spurrier. I have always believed that he "left" Duke before that bowl game (our first in well over 30 years), where we looked ill-prepared and overwhelmed. And I never liked his level of snark, either at Duke or at Florida (I think he had toned it down by the time he got to the Carolina). However, all that doesn't prevent me from appreciating the posed picture in front of the scoreboard at Kenan, though.

davekay1971
10-13-2015, 10:58 AM
I guess I am in the minority when it comes to my feelings about Spurrier. I have always believed that he "left" Duke before that bowl game (our first in well over 30 years), where we looked ill-prepared and overwhelmed. And I never liked his level of snark, either at Duke or at Florida (I think he had toned it down by the time he got to the Carolina). However, all that doesn't prevent me from appreciating the posed picture in front of the scoreboard at Kenan, though.

I'm with you. My first year at Duke was his last, and I will forever appreciate arriving to Duke to find a competitive, fun football program waiting for me. I completely understood his decision to leave Duke for Florida (more money, bigger program, his alma mater, chance to compete for national championships, etc etc etc). But he was mentally gone from Duke before the bowl game and it showed. I'm glad he retained an obvious fondness for Duke, but it doesn't change the perception I've had of him that he has always been, fundamentally, a me-first guy...and a showboat.

I read last night that he's never had a losing season in 25 years as a head coach in college football. That was going to change this season. It's unusual for a coach to retire in the middle of a season, unless something very bad is going on (health or brewing scandal, for example). Without any indication that something "very bad" is going on, I have to wonder if Spurrier is leaving so suddenly to keep his remarkable collegiate coaching record intact.

Whatever his motivation to retire so suddenly, I hope he has a great retirement, and he certainly can look with pride of his record of building Duke and USC and of restoring Florida to the premier level of college football.

TKG
10-13-2015, 12:00 PM
Bring him back to Durham as the OC!

just kidding.

duke4ever19
10-13-2015, 12:02 PM
So long, and thanks for all the visors! 5560

DevilWearsPrada
10-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Steve Spurrier on ESPN live news conference!

www.espn.com

throatybeard
10-13-2015, 12:14 PM
I read last night that he's never had a losing season in 25 years as a head coach in college football. That was going to change this season.

I don't think that's accurate, because off the top of my head, I think he went 5-6 his first year at Duke.

OldPhiKap
10-13-2015, 12:15 PM
I don't think that's accurate, because off the top of my head, I think he went 5-6 his first year at Duke.

1987 was his last (and only) losing season as a college head coach until this year.

davekay1971
10-13-2015, 03:07 PM

I believe you over the source in my post (ESPN), Throaty. Maybe they considered 5-6 a winning record because he was at Duke. I spot Cut 2 wins every season, still...

SoCalDukeFan
10-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Leaving in the middle of the season is a desertion of your players.

SoCal

Olympic Fan
10-13-2015, 03:24 PM
I believe you over the source in my post (ESPN), Throaty. Maybe they considered 5-6 a winning record because he was at Duke. I spot Cut 2 wins every season, still...

Spurrier was 5-6 in 1987 -- his first season at Duke.

He opened with three straight wins (over Colgate Northwestern and Vanderbilt).

He lost the next two (Virginia, a 7-0 heartbreaker to Rutgers ... played in a sleet storm in the Meadowlands ... or a long time that was the only shutout loss of his career, 17-10 to No. 7 Clemson 23-22 to Maryland)

He beat Georgia Tech for win No. 4

Then he lost to Wake Forest 30-27 and to NC State 47-45 (a crushing loss).

But Spurrier's first Duke team finished with a decisive 25-10 win at North Carolina (he would be 3-0 in his career at Duke against UNC).

BTW: The ESPN claim that he never had a losing season is typical of the sloppy reporting on ESPN. We saw that in the bowl speculation thread, where they have mistakenly suggested that Notre Dame could steal he ACC's guaranteed spot in the top 6 bowls.

wilson
10-13-2015, 03:39 PM

SoCalI have to agree. I love Spurrier for his contributions to Duke and for his unquestionably amazing ability to make football more fun over the last ~30 years, but I don't care for the circumstances of his departure. Even if, as many have said, he wasn't doing much actual coaching anymore (which is almost certainly true), this sends a terrible message in the context of college football, where talk of commitment and honor and dedication is so common and eternal.

Indoor66
10-13-2015, 04:57 PM

SoCal

May we wait for the facts prior to the condemnation? Steve has always been an honorable man and is deserving of the respect of some patience.

flyingdutchdevil
10-13-2015, 05:08 PM
I have to agree. I love Spurrier for his contributions to Duke and for his unquestionably amazing ability to make football more fun over the last ~30 years, but I don't care for the circumstances of his departure. Even if, as many have said, he wasn't doing much actual coaching anymore (which is almost certainly true), this sends a terrible message in the context of college football, where talk of commitment and honor and dedication is so common and eternal.

It could be that USC allowed Spurrier to resign rather than get fired. Kinda like poor-performing executives taking "early retirement" and saving face rather than getting fired.

Let's face it - USC (both East and West) was terrible this year, and a lot worse than either was supposed to be. If Spurrier had gotten fired, it wouldn't surprise a lot of people.

OldPhiKap
10-13-2015, 05:39 PM
It could be that USC allowed Spurrier to resign rather than get fired. Kinda like poor-performing executives taking "early retirement" and saving face rather than getting fired.

Let's face it - USC (both East and West) was terrible this year, and a lot worse than either was supposed to be. If Spurrier had gotten fired, it wouldn't surprise a lot of people.

I doubt he was fired, I am down here in Gamecock country and no one was calling for his head.

Most folks seem to think that Steve met with the AD, and they decided that now was a better time than the end of the season once Steve said he was through. They can go ahead and start trying to line up the next coach as opposed to scrambling later (or letting Maryland or the other USC grab someone they want). Steve also apparently mentioned at the SEC Day that he thought about hanging it up after last year.

PalmettoExpat
10-13-2015, 05:43 PM
As a lifelong Gamecock fan, I'm sad to see our greatest coach leave. It's been a real kick to know the coach of my childhood team (USC) had an abiding love for my college team (Duke). He knows who the REAL Carolina is, and he'll be missed by us.

I also hope our flood troubles and his health had nothing to do with his decision.

wilson
10-13-2015, 05:47 PM

Let's face it - USC (both East and West) was terrible this year, and a lot worse than either was supposed to be. If Spurrier had gotten fired, it wouldn't surprise a lot of people.It's actually been confirmed that this isn't what happened. SC president Harris Pastides tried to convince Spurrier to stick around:

I tried to talk him out of leaving immediately. I understood that his decision was firm and I said, ‘We can announce it tomorrow and why not say you’re leaving at the end of the season.’ And that’s when he talked about player accountability. He told me the story of his last game at Duke when he had been announced as the Florida coach. It didn’t go so well, because the players were like, ‘You’re not going to be here, so I’m not really sure you’re my head coach anymore.’ And he didn’t want that to happen this year.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article38978355.html#storylink=cpy

Ggallagher
10-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Thought it was pretty nice during the Sportscenter interview done in Spurrier's office -- there's a Duke football helmet sitting prominently on the top shelf of his trophy case.

SoCalDukeFan
10-13-2015, 06:52 PM
May we wait for the facts prior to the condemnation? Steve has always been an honorable man and is deserving of the respect of some patience.

"Unless there is something of which I an aware" so I understand that there may be facts that justify the timing of the decision.

I would think that he could have announced that this his last season and was retiring from coaching at the end of the season. AD could start a coaching search etc. Of course every future SEC game on the road would be a swan song and maybe he did not need more golf clubs or rocking chairs.

When the interim head coach does a good job but he is not the guy the AD wants long term, it creates an issue. We will see how this plays out.

SoCal

wilson
10-13-2015, 09:33 PM
When the interim head coach does a good job but he is not the guy the AD wants long term, it creates an issue. We will see how this plays out.

SoCalApropos of this, I believe that Ted Roof's surprisingly respectable (if not altogether positive) results in the second half of the 2003 season ultimately set Duke's program back several more years, because he generated enough goodwill to get himself hired for a job in which, in the long run, it became clear that he was overmatched.
I certainly hope that Coach Spurrier has no underlying issue, health-related or otherwise, but like SoCal, if there's not some other issue, then I don't have a great deal of respect for the circumstances or timing of this decision.

grossbus
10-13-2015, 10:32 PM
He made the point that he was resigning, not retiring.

wilson
10-13-2015, 10:38 PM
He made the point that he was resigning, not retiring.I understand what you're getting at, but to me, the semantics of his statement don't override the questionability of his timing and the message it sends.

Skitzle
10-14-2015, 05:30 AM
Trying to understand what resigning effective immediately means.

1) we know he wasn't fired
2) We find it odd for him to quit mid season.

So the worst case scenario is he quit mid season

The best case scenario is he said "I'm resigning at the end of the year" and they said "you sure?" and he said "yeah" and they said "just go now will help us moving forward"

Are there any other cases?

HK Dukie
10-14-2015, 05:52 AM
Bring him back to Durham as the OC!

just kidding.

I think Scottie Montgomery is excellent and only getting better.

That said, any way we can create an honorary coaching position for Spurrier? Or perhaps he can be our Head of Media Relations?

camion
10-14-2015, 07:35 AM
And now the important question.

Will Spurrier's resignation drop Duke out of the top 25? :eek:

gep
10-14-2015, 12:56 PM

The best case scenario is he said "I'm resigning at the end of the year" and they said "you sure?" and he said "yeah" and they said "just go now will help us moving forward"

My thought... The athletic admin were thinking of going in another direction but didn't want to fire him. So they worked out for him to resign. Question of when... Spurrier probably thought now is better than later... As he said, he'lll essentially be a lame duck coach and not good for the team or the program...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-14-2015, 04:10 PM

Any other cases? Sure. Infinite ones... bad health, impending scandal, alumni pressure, boredom, lost a bet, recruiting issues, and on and on and on.

As far as calling him out for quitting on his players, I'd say he's earned the benefit of the doubt before passing any judgment. Let's take a moment to celebrate the old ball coach and then see where the facts land.

flyingdutchdevil
10-14-2015, 04:25 PM
It's actually been confirmed that this isn't what happened. SC president Harris Pastides tried to convince Spurrier to stick around:

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article38978355.html#storylink=cpy

Thanks Wilson. Does seem strange to quit half-way through the season.

MChambers
10-15-2015, 12:39 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/steve-spurriers-retirement-shows-the-value-of-a-life-spent-basking-in-the-fun/2015/10/15/aa46a8a6-72ac-11e5-9cbb-790369643cf9_story.html

Definitely worth a read.

OldPhiKap
10-15-2015, 01:00 PM
ACC Gridiron Live on SportsSouth had a nice piece yesterday about Spurrier's time at Duke -- including a color copy of the photo at Kenan and interviews with some of our players from the 1989 team.