PDA

View Full Version : Watching UK practice

duketaylor
10-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Stumbling around before the NFL game tonight, I see the UK practice. They can't shoot from 15 feet. They can dunk, uncontested, but can't shoot. 'Nuff said, GO DEVILS!!!

Olympic Fan
10-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Stumbling around before the NFL game tonight, I see the UK practice. They can't shoot from 15 feet. They can dunk, uncontested, but can't shoot. 'Nuff said, GO DEVILS!!!

Any idea of how Poythress looked? And did Labissiere practice?

Kentucky has a few question marks at the moment -- reportedly, Labissiere (their most talented player) has not been cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse, and Poythress, their most versatile forward, is coming off a major knee injury that sidelined him last year.

I wouldn't try to judge their shooting based on watching one practice. I know the Murray kid can shoot. It's not a strength for Ulis and Briscoe (although both are strong players), but the Muldar kid (the juco transfer) is also reputed to be a strong shooter.

mccollums
10-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Any idea of how Poythress looked? And did Labissiere practice?

Kentucky has a few question marks at the moment -- reportedly, Labissiere (their most talented player) has not been cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse, and Poythress, their most versatile forward, is coming off a major knee injury that sidelined him last year.

I wouldn't try to judge their shooting based on watching one practice. I know the Murray kid can shoot. It's not a strength for Ulis and Briscoe (although both are strong players), but the Muldar kid (the juco transfer) is also reputed to be a strong shooter.

UK fan here...
Labissiere is allowed to practice since it's not an academic issue. It's an amateurism issue.

Ulis is actually a really good shooter. 42.9% last season and looks really confident shooting the ball tonight. I expect him to be 40+% this season as long as he takes quality shots.

Poythress looked fine. Maybe not as aggressive as in the past, but he should be OK. Poythress and Lee will offer veteran depth but they are still limited skill wise. Those guys are dunk reliable only.

This team looks really really GREEN. Last years team had the luxury of their summer trip and were far more advanced (as expected) then this team. They were also missing 2 Juniors tonight (Hawkins,Willis) because of injuries. Those two aren't expected to contribute a ton over the course of the season, but I think the newcomers will need the vets to bail them out early in the season. Overall, this years squad probably has a ton of potential offensively, but not sure what their identity will be on defense. That's where the biggest difference will be....they'll most likely have some ugly moments and hopefully click by March.

OldPhiKap
10-11-2015, 10:32 PM
UK fan here...
Labissiere is allowed to practice since it's not an academic issue. It's an amateurism issue.

Ulis is actually a really good shooter. 42.9% last season and looks really confident shooting the ball tonight. I expect him to be 40+% this season as long as he takes quality shots.

Poythress looked fine. Maybe not as aggressive as in the past, but he should be OK. Poythress and Lee will offer veteran depth but they are still limited skill wise. Those guys are dunk reliable only.

This team looks really really GREEN. Last years team had the luxury of their summer trip and were far more advanced (as expected) then this team. They were also missing 2 Juniors tonight (Hawkins,Willis) because of injuries. Those two aren't expected to contribute a ton over the course of the season, but I think the newcomers will need the vets to bail them out early in the season. Overall, this years squad probably has a ton of potential offensively, but not sure what their identity will be on defense. That's where the biggest difference will be....they'll most likely have some ugly moments and hopefully click by March.

Appreciate your comments, and glad you post here. I look forward to the Duke-Ky game in the early season, although both teams will be much different come tourney time.

Wish the best for Poythress.

brevity
10-12-2015, 01:38 AM
If you have the SEC Network, you can scout Kentucky for yourself. That channel is re-airing the Kentucky practice Wednesday morning (10am-12pm ET). They are also airing Big Blue Madness Friday night (7-9pm ET). I haven't seen anything on ESPN3 so far.

While we're on the subject of preseason Wildcat basketball, Arizona has their Red-Blue Game Saturday night (9:30pm PT) on the Pac-12 Network.

JPtheGame
10-12-2015, 10:11 PM
UK fan here...

Enes Kanter Part 2?

http://collegespun.com/sec/kentucky-sec/report-kentucky-wildcats-basketball-cleared-ineligible-ncaa-gerald-hamilton-nba-executive-isaac-humphries

mccollums
10-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Enes Kanter Part 2?

http://collegespun.com/sec/kentucky-sec/report-kentucky-wildcats-basketball-cleared-ineligible-ncaa-gerald-hamilton-nba-executive-isaac-humphries

I hope not

Before I get started on Kanter and to stay on topic :-) i wouldn't recommend anyone to watch this practice without DVRing and fast forwarding A LOT. There's maybe 15 min of noteworthy action. It's probably not worth anyone's time.

This is a completely different situation then Kanter. There would have to be hard evidence that his guardian received money in the recruitment process. The amount of money would have to be significant for him to be ruled ineligible the whole season. There are rumors his guardian asked how to "profit" off of Skal, but the context of that could be spun different ways. I'm sure there was discussion to play overseas versus playing college ball. Skal is already 19. He suffered a back injury in 2014 that may have prevented this plan though and he probably needed the time to physically devleop. My guess is the UK compliance office did their due diligence and are comfortable he will be cleared. This is pretty standard for foreign players with guardians anyway.

Kanter was deeply entrenched in the Euro club system and did take money and benefits. Kanter and his family decided he wanted to go to the US and play college so his parents offered to pay the money back. The amount was 33K and the NCAA deemed this too large a sum to keep his amateur status. He should have been the opportunity to reimburse the club, and held out part of the year. He didn't do anything out of the norm considering the Euro system is setup to funnel talented kids through pro clubs. But my paranoid brain thinks that Emmert being the Former President at Washington had something to do with it.. Kanter originally committed to Washington and backed out and decided to go to UK. Would have been interesting to see if Kanter would have kept his Washington commitment, would he have been cleared. It at least shows another school was willing to take a chance thinking they could get him eligible.

I understand i could catch some message board flak from mentioning Emmert :-) Who doesn't love a good conspiracy theory even if it's coming from my UK decorated tin foil hat.

JPtheGame
10-12-2015, 11:47 PM
I hope not

Before I get started on Kanter and to stay on topic :-) i wouldn't recommend anyone to watch this practice without DVRing and fast forwarding A LOT. There's maybe 15 min of noteworthy action. It's probably not worth anyone's time.

This is a completely different situation then Kanter. There would have to be hard evidence that his guardian received money in the recruitment process. The amount of money would have to be significant for him to be ruled ineligible the whole season. There are rumors his guardian asked how to "profit" off of Skal, but the context of that could be spun different ways. I'm sure there was discussion to play overseas versus playing college ball. Skal is already 19. He suffered a back injury in 2014 that may have prevented this plan though and he probably needed the time to physically devleop. My guess is the UK compliance office did their due diligence and are comfortable he will be cleared. This is pretty standard for foreign players with guardians anyway.

Kanter was deeply entrenched in the Euro club system and did take money and benefits. Kanter and his family decided he wanted to go to the US and play college so his parents offered to pay the money back. The amount was 33K and the NCAA deemed this too large a sum to keep his amateur status. He should have been the opportunity to reimburse the club, and held out part of the year. He didn't do anything out of the norm considering the Euro system is setup to funnel talented kids through pro clubs. But my paranoid brain thinks that Emmert being the Former President at Washington had something to do with it.. Kanter originally committed to Washington and backed out and decided to go to UK. Would have been interesting to see if Kanter would have kept his Washington commitment, would he have been cleared. It at least shows another school was willing to take a chance thinking they could get him eligible.

I understand i could catch some message board flak from mentioning Emmert :-) Who doesn't love a good conspiracy theory even if it's coming from my UK decorated tin foil hat.

I doubt your status as a UK fan. Your posts are thoughtful, informative, and devoid of spelling errors.
I only mentioned Kanter in the top prospect who ended up being ineligible context. Im not trying to draw parallels between what precipitated their loss of amateur status. If I had to draw parallels, i'd say this is more of an anthony davis but with a paper trail scenario.

mccollums
10-13-2015, 01:13 AM
I doubt your status as a UK fan. Your posts are thoughtful, informative, and devoid of spelling errors.
I only mentioned Kanter in the top prospect who ended up being ineligible context. Im not trying to draw parallels between what precipitated their loss of amateur status. If I had to draw parallels, i'd say this is more of an anthony davis but with a paper trail scenario.

Ahhh I see. I probably went into too much detail on Kanter then. I did have a couple of different sources when that played out so I know a little more about it. I have no info on Skal and his situation. I'm just going to let it play out and ignore any sources or hypotheticals....put my tin foil hat back on and say they're just fishing for web site hits....lol

Re-reading my earlier post there were a few mistakes...lol I'll blame it on trying to watch Monday Night football and a half-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. job of proofreading.

BD80
10-13-2015, 08:56 AM
... Re-reading my earlier post there were a few mistakes...lol I'll blame it on trying to watch Monday Night football and a half-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. job of proofreading.

Proofreading?!?

This is the internet man! Spontaneity rules!

Proofreading would only lead to thinking, and there simply is no room for that on the internet. Unless you are predicting how many minutes each player on the UK roster will average during the season.

Captain Grayson
10-13-2015, 04:09 PM
I hope not

I read recently where a number of NBA execs strongly believe that the ncaa will not rule this year on Skal or they will rule him ineligible. The execs were fully expecting Skal to not play at all before the NBA draft. Now I don't believe the nba execs, but it is the ncaa so anything can happen.

brevity
10-17-2015, 12:51 AM
The LSU Tigers open practice (featuring Ben Simmons) is available for replay on ESPN3.

WillJ
10-17-2015, 07:14 AM
Stumbled on UK's version of Countdown to Craziness last night. Wow. The light show in which the players were introduced was way over the top - I thought I might get one of those strobe-induced fainting spells I used to read about on the internet (and which must therefore be a real possibility). And Calipari's speech? Again - wow. The collective bragging and smugness was impressive, as was his exhortation to the crowd that the only way they could keep this going was to keep making sure that "these kids eat first," where "the kids" were the UK players. True in a metaphorical sense, no doubt, but rarely so bluntly spoken. Perhaps I should congratulate him for his honesty.

The Cameron experience has been glitzed up to - and I don't really like it, TBH - but it seems we're a far cry from Rupp.

dukelifer
10-17-2015, 07:21 AM
Stumbled on UK's version of Countdown to Craziness last night. Wow. The light show in which the players were introduced was way over the top - I thought I might get one of those strobe-induced fainting spells I used to read about on the internet (and which must therefore be a real possibility). And Calipari's speech? Again - wow. The collective bragging and smugness was impressive, as was his exhortation to the crowd that the only way they could keep this going was to keep making sure that "these kids eat first," where "the kids" were the UK players. True in a metaphorical sense, no doubt, but rarely so bluntly spoken. Perhaps I should congratulate him for his honesty.

The Cameron experience has been glitzed up to - and I don't really like it, TBH - but it seems we're a far cry from Rupp.
Well they are the standard- two national championships in 5 years - wait that is Duke. I guess winning the SEC championship is the standard now. UK has a lot to be smug about then.

Kedsy
10-17-2015, 08:13 AM
Well they are the standard- two national championships in 5 years - wait that is Duke. I guess winning the SEC championship is the standard now. UK has a lot to be smug about then.

To be accurate, we've won two championships in six years. They've been to four Final Fours in five years, so maybe we should allow them a little smugness.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-17-2015, 08:46 AM

Well then, sounds like we've got a clear path to the championship!

On a related note, I saw the promo version for Windows 11 and it looks AMAZING!