PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke ranked 21st in Coaches Poll/23rd in AP

Bob Green
10-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Duke is #24 in the Coaches Poll:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25335390/coaches-poll-top-25-michigan-surging-georgia-falls-out-and-oklahoma-slides

devildeac
10-11-2015, 01:22 PM
In another ranking, we're #4:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22 (with 3 of the top 4 and 5 of the top 15 from the ACC)

Or, #3:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

Shame one of our WR dropped a TD pass and we failed to score a TD from the BC 1 yd line. If we had done both, we'd be #2.:(

SCMatt33
10-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Duke checks in at #25 in the AP Poll. (http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll) This is now the 3 straight season in which Duke has been ranked. By my count Duke was ranked during 3 seasons in the 50 years prior to this (ranked in 1971, 1989, and 1994 during the stretch between 1963-2012). I'd say Coach Cut has done a pretty good job.

Faison1
10-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Like I said....statue in the concourse....

Amazing what that guy's accomplished.

Is the next game at Blacksburg?

Wouldn't it be sweet if Duke could follow up it's ranking with another win at VPI?

OldPhiKap
10-11-2015, 03:13 PM
Congratulations to the team and staff for having their hard work recognized.

I have to think that the bigger story for them is: 2-0 in the ACC, and that our destiny in the Coastal is in our own hands. Just where you want to be.

Sirk and our offensive line needs to get ready for the VTech blitz machine, and The defense will be acutely challenged if they get Brewer back. They had a bye this week, then at Miami next week while we rest. That will be an interesting game for Duke fans to watch.

budwom
10-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Congratulations to the team and staff for having their hard work recognized.

I have to think that the bigger story for them is: 2-0 in the ACC, and that our destiny in the Coastal is in our own hands. Just where you want to be.

Sirk and our offensive line needs to get ready for the VTech blitz machine, and The defense will be acutely challenged if they get Brewer back. They had a bye this week, then at Miami next week while we rest. That will be an interesting game for Duke fans to watch.

I believe they (VT) played and beat State this week (thursday or friday)...may they get tuckered out at Miami.

OldPhiKap
10-11-2015, 03:22 PM
I believe they (VT) played and beat State this week (thursday or friday)...may they get tuckered out at Miami.

You are correct. I looked at yesterday's scores and did not see them.

Did Brewer play?

Bob Green
10-11-2015, 03:46 PM
Did Brewer play?

No. But the back-up looked good throwing three 2nd quarter touchdown passes.

Native
10-11-2015, 06:19 PM
Love that we're building a habit of being in the Top 25.

The more I see of this season the more I see the showdown with UNC as being the deciding factor in the Coastal race. That's a must-win.

moonpie23
10-11-2015, 06:36 PM
awesome........congrats to the team and staff

DukieInKansas
10-11-2015, 06:42 PM

The more I see of this season the more I see the showdown with UNC as being the deciding factor in the Coastal race. That's a must-win.

As far as I'm concerned, any game against unc is a must win. Even when the tiddly-wink teams play each other.

Congratulations to the team for being ranked - hope they stay in the top 25 for the rest of the season.

OldPhiKap
10-11-2015, 07:33 PM

We have a few big games before UNC, but the games get bigger as the season wears on. UNC will be huge, especially given the embarrassing smackdown they inflicted on us last year.

VT, Miami, UNC and Pitt is a four game stretch that will really shake things out. No offense to UVA and Wake to finish. But those four are all talented teams. 4-0 would be great, 3-1 would Be pleasant, 2-2 would not shock me. And some would call me optimistic at that.

I do think that Carolina is the best of those four teams though. Big game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-11-2015, 07:56 PM
We have a few big games before UNC, but the games get bigger as the season wears on. UNC will be huge, especially given the embarrassing smackdown they inflicted on us last year.

VT, Miami, UNC and Pitt is a four game stretch that will really shake things out. No offense to UVA and Wake to finish. But those four are all talented teams. 4-0 would be great, 3-1 would Be pleasant, 2-2 would not shock me. And some would call me optimistic at that.

I do think that Carolina is the best of those four teams though. Big game.

In addition to what happened on the field in last year's game, we all remember the expensive shenanigans and vandalism visited upon various parts of the football facilities.

Olympic Fan
10-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Duke checks in at #25 in the AP Poll. (http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll) This is now the 3 straight season in which Duke has been ranked. By my count Duke was ranked during 3 seasons in the 50 years prior to this (ranked in 1971, 1989, and 1994 during the stretch between 1963-2012). I'd say Coach Cut has done a pretty good job.

Matt, that's what I get -- Duke finished the 1962 season ranked No. 14 in the UPI (Coaches) Poll. the '61 team finished ranked No. 20 in the AP.

The 1971 team spent four weeks in the AP poll, peaking at No. 10 on Oct. 23 -- losing 15-14 to the Middies dropped us all the way out. That was odd ... we were No. 14 when we lost to Clemson 3-0 and that dropped us out of the poll. The next week, we routed NC State 41-13 and that moved us back in the poll at No. 10. Then we lost a heartbreaker to Navy and we're out again. I don't get that.

The 1989 team wasn't ranked until after the UNC win. We were No. 20 going into the bowl game ... unranked after losing that one.

The 1994 team spent seven weeks in the AP rankings, peaking at No. 16 before the game with No. 9 FSU on Oct. 29. We were No. 25 when we played Wisconsin in the bowl game -- unranked afterwards.

I only have access to the weekly AP rankings, so there may be some in the coaches poll I've missed.

I am surprised and delighted that Duke cracked both polls this week. We should move up a few spots next week even though we don't play. After that, it's simple -- keep winning to stay ranked.

I should note that the 2013 team is the only Duke team since 1962 to FINISH in the rankings (No. 22 in the coaches and No. 23 in the AP)

nyesq83
10-11-2015, 08:45 PM
"We...are...Duke!"

duke blue brewcrew
10-12-2015, 09:28 AM

While I absolutely see where you're coming from, Duke needs to make it through the VT, & Miami gauntlet first. Neither of those games will be easy and are far from in the bag.

Indoor66
10-12-2015, 09:49 AM
While I absolutely see where you're coming from, Duke needs to make it through the VT, & Miami gauntlet first. Neither of those games will be easy and are far from in the bag.

I look at it differently. VT & Miami must run the gauntlet of Duke. We are better that either of those teams. :cool:

NYBri
10-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Play good defense, and you're always in the game. We play good defense. See Northwestern and BC. We get a bit more offense, we can do great things.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2015, 09:53 AM
I look at it differently. VT & Miami must run the gauntlet of Duke. We are better that either of those teams. :cool:

Think about that sentence for a minute.

Seriously.

Wow.

Let's Go DUKE!

P.S. We are third in ESPN's ACC Power Ranking:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/86710/acc-week-6-power-rankings-clemson-fsu-remain-class-of-league

As noted, though, everything other than FSU and Clemson at the top, and UVa at the bottom, is pretty fluid. Also calls out GTech is perhaps the most disappointing team in the country.

duke blue brewcrew
10-12-2015, 10:01 AM

I love your confidence. I tend to over think the jinx, and take things one game at a time. Should Duke get past VT, and I do believe that the Blue Devils are in position to do so, then I'll feel better about the Miami game. I plan to attend the Miami game and cheer like crazy! That game will not be easy, they just went the distance with FSU and have outstanding athletes. IF Duke can pull off that win, THEN it's time to focus on getting revenge, and taking those stinking Cheaters down!

devildeac
10-12-2015, 10:06 AM
We've got to get by bye yet (yea, I really typed that:o). The cheaters passed out rings, diplomas and hung a banner after they held them scoreless on Saturday. Could be a tough week/weekend. :rolleyes:

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-12-2015, 10:07 AM
During this discussion of games on the horizon, please take a minute to vote for Jeremy Cash for this week's LOTT Trophy Player of the Week.:cool:
http://lottimpacttrophy.org/vote/

duke blue brewcrew
10-12-2015, 10:11 AM
During this discussion of games on the horizon, please take a minute to vote for Jeremy Cash for this week's LOTT Trophy Player of the Week.:cool:
http://lottimpacttrophy.org/vote/

Done! and thanks for your diligence on this, Cash deserves it!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Done! and thanks for your diligence on this, Cash deserves it!

Vote multiple times on different devices if you can. Jeremy is way behind Emmanuel Ogbah, a DE from Oklahoma State.

throatybeard
10-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Cutcliffe is getting awfully close to .500 at Duke, in just his eighth season, at 45-49.

If you had told me in AY 2007-2008 that anyone other than the ghost of Vince Lombardi in the form of Erin Andrews could accomplish that, I would have asked you who your substance hookup was. Roofranks were 13-90 in nine seasons. This means that Cut will probably be a few games over .500 at the end of his ninth season, when his predecessors were 77 games under in the same span of time.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Cutcliffe is getting awfully close to .500 at Duke, in just his eighth season, at 45-49.

If you had told me in AY 2007-2008 that anyone other than the ghost of Vince Lombardi in the form of Erin Andrews could accomplish that, I would have asked you who your substance hookup was. Roofranks were 13-90 in nine seasons. This means that Cut will probably be a few games over .500 at the end of his ninth season, when his predecessors were 77 games under in the same span of time.

Pretty astounding.

The image of Erin Andrews possessed by Vince Lonbardi, I mean.

The stats are just too crazy to contemplate. What a great job Cut and his staff have done, as well as Kevin White and those (within the institution and privately like Mr. Brooks) who have invested time, talent and resources into rebuilding the program and our heretofore woeful facilities.

Cut would likely to be the first to deflect the praise away from himself and out towards these others. But Cut is clearly the straw stirring the drink. Kudos.

duke blue brewcrew
10-12-2015, 11:17 AM

An amazing stat. The Blue Devils got incredibly lucky landing Coach Cut. He's accomplished more than most would've thought possible at Duke. Another poster mentioned a statue for Cut in the concourse of Wally. I'm in agreement that both K and Cut are well deserving of that honor when all is said and done. We are very fortunate Duke fans, times are good! :)

ChillinDuke
10-12-2015, 11:21 AM

That's a really incredible stat and comparison.

- Chillin

throatybeard
10-12-2015, 11:24 AM
An amazing stat. The Blue Devils got incredibly lucky landing Coach Cut. He's accomplished more than most would've thought possible at Duke. Another poster mentioned a statue for Cut in the concourse of Wally. I'm in agreement that both K and Cut are well deserving of that honor when all is said and done. We are very fortunate Duke fans, times are good! :)

You're right! The facilities too! Not even the spirit of Formerdukeathlete in the form of Erin Andrews...

If you had presented me with a choice: you can have .500 football at Duke and four bowl appearances, or you can have a Wallace Wade Stadium with toilets that work and no janky track around the football field, I'd have had a hard time choosing. And we get both!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-12-2015, 11:36 AM

If there are statutes placed in or near the football stadium, there should be two. David Cutcliffe would want Wallace Wade there and certainly Coach Wade's accomplishments* put him there rather than being remembered with a small bust overlooked by passersby.

Oct. 5, 1929 First game in Duke Stadium
1931 Wallace Wade arrived at Duke in the spring after taking Alabama to another Rose Bowl (national championship).
1933 Duke was a contender for a Rose Bowl invitation until Georgia Tech derailed a perfect season.
1935 Duke defeated Carolina, preventing a Rose Bowl invitation for UNC.
1938 Duke was undefeated, unscored upon and untied during the regular season.

There's much more in the Wade legacy. See Lewis Bowling's Wallace Wade: Championship Years at Alabama and Duke

OldPhiKap
10-12-2015, 11:38 AM
If there are statutes placed in or near the football stadium, there should be two. David Cutcliffe would want Wallace Wade there and certainly Coach Wade's accomplishments* put him there rather than being remembered with a small bust overlooked by passersby.

1931 Wallace Wade arrived at Duke in the spring after taking Alabama to another Rose Bowl (national championship).
1933 Duke was a contender for a Rose Bowl invitation until Georgia Tech derailed a perfect season.

There's much more in the Wade legacy. See Lewis Bowling's Wallace Wade: Championship Years at Alabama and Duke

Second this.

I actually think it would be nice to develop some more reminders of the rich history of Duke football, especially since the stadium name is now sharing billing with Brooks Field. A display of some sort at the main entrance would help remind folks that there was football before Cut got here, and hopefully that there will be a strong program after Cut decides to retire down the road. Cut is a big student of history, and of course Coach Wade.

throatybeard
10-12-2015, 11:46 AM

Bill Murray should get a statue too. 93-51-9, seven conference titles (six ACC, one SC), and two of Duke's three bowl wins ever.

I don't know how this happened, but my wife and MIL ran into his daughter in the mountains about a decade ago. I don't know if she's still living. She'd probably be about my parents' age.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Bill Murray should get a statue too. 93-51-9, seven conference titles (six ACC, one SC), and two of Duke's three bowl wins ever.

Agreed. Plus, Caddyshack is a classic.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-12-2015, 11:58 AM

BTW Coach Cutcliffe is part of the Wade coaching tree.

It's difficult to exaggerate what a major figure Wallace Wade was among football coaches..... first use of film of opponents, approach to recruiting, format of practices (think of the model used by Duke basketball, but football in the 1920s through the 1950s), physical fitness as part of the college curriculum.... The "Sports for Life" theme of physical education at Duke through the sixties and seventies was basically the model he created soon after he arrived at Duke. In addition, Bear Bryant attributed the traditions of Alabama football to Coach Wade, the original "Bear."

If you look for a copy of Lewis Bowling's book, be sure to get the second edition because it includes comments from Coach Cutcliffe soon after his arrival at Duke.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-12-2015, 12:01 PM

I don't know how this happened, but my wife and MIL ran into his daughter in the mountains about a decade ago. I don't know if she's still living. She'd probably be about my parents' age.
Eddie Cameron was quite the football coach as well. He coached Duke football while Wallace Wade served in the Army during WWII. One of the wins was over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

Duke was on the cutting edge of so much in athletics beginning soon after becoming Duke and continuing into the 50s/early 60s.

Olympic Fan
10-12-2015, 12:22 PM
BTW Coach Cutcliffe is part of the Wade coaching tree.

It's difficult to exaggerate what a major figure Wallace Wade was among football coaches..... first use of film of opponents, approach to recruiting, format of practices (think of the model used by Duke basketball, but football in the 1920s through the 1950s), physical fitness as part of the college curriculum.... The "Sports for Life" theme of physical education at Duke through the sixties and seventies was basically the model he created soon after he arrived at Duke. In addition, Bear Bryant attributed the traditions of Alabama football to Coach Wade, the original "Bear."

If you look for a copy of Lewis Bowling's book, be sure to get the second edition because it includes comments from Coach Cutcliffe soon after his arrival at Duke.

And, just one more piece of evidence about Wade's impact, keep in mind that he is the only ACC coach -- in any sport -- the grace the cover of Time Magazine:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wallace+wade+time+magazine&biw=1600&bih=755&tbm=isch&imgil=CZDYiVccK9Ws0M%253A%253BTuldXEpa2jaC2M%253Bh ttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fcontent.time.com%25252Ftim e%25252Fcovers%25252F0%25252C16641%25252C19371025% 25252C00.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=CZDYiVccK9Ws0M%253A%252CTuldXEpa2jaC2M%252C_&usg=__IoPW1U6b4stcLXL0VU6yG-T78Io%3D&ved=0CDMQyjdqFQoTCOeXwKyrvcgCFQEVHgodIFcAcA&ei=090bVqfiLIGqeKCugYAH#imgrc=CZDYiVccK9Ws0M%3A&usg=__IoPW1U6b4stcLXL0VU6yG-T78Io%3D

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-12-2015, 12:34 PM
And, just one more piece of evidence about Wade's impact, keep in mind that he is the only ACC coach -- in any sport -- the grace the cover of Time Magazine:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wallace+wade+time+magazine&biw=1600&bih=755&tbm=isch&imgil=CZDYiVccK9Ws0M%253A%253BTuldXEpa2jaC2M%253Bh ttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fcontent.time.com%25252Ftim e%25252Fcovers%25252F0%25252C16641%25252C19371025% 25252C00.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=CZDYiVccK9Ws0M%253A%252CTuldXEpa2jaC2M%252C_&usg=__IoPW1U6b4stcLXL0VU6yG-T78Io%3D&ved=0CDMQyjdqFQoTCOeXwKyrvcgCFQEVHgodIFcAcA&ei=090bVqfiLIGqeKCugYAH#imgrc=CZDYiVccK9Ws0M%3A&usg=__IoPW1U6b4stcLXL0VU6yG-T78Io%3D

During the home football season, we have all sorts of days to recognize or commemorate a variety of groups. It would be fantastic to have Wallace Wade Day... maybe on Homecoming... and celebrate his contributions to Duke.

BTW the number of applications for admission to Duke rose considerably as the football program became a national power. We've seen a similar positive correlation to the rise of the basketball program.

To paraphrase, Coach Cutcliffe, "Does Duke have a strong football tradition??? Hell, yes!"

brevity
10-18-2015, 03:56 AM
I am surprised and delighted that Duke cracked both polls this week. We should move up a few spots next week even though we don't play.

If I had to guess, I'd say Duke moves up two spots to #23 in the AP poll (past UCLA, Northwestern, and Boise State, but down 1 because unranked Memphis will leapfrog). As for the Coaches Poll, Memphis is already ranked ahead, so Duke could move up three spots to #21, unless they feel more strongly about #25 Toledo or unranked Houston or Temple.

Weird to think about ranking Duke ahead of Northwestern, but that's how it seems to work.

SCMatt33
10-18-2015, 10:02 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say Duke moves up two spots to #23 in the AP poll (past UCLA, Northwestern, and Boise State, but down 1 because unranked Memphis will leapfrog). As for the Coaches Poll, Memphis is already ranked ahead, so Duke could move up three spots to #21, unless they feel more strongly about #25 Toledo or unranked Houston or Temple.

Weird to think about ranking Duke ahead of Northwestern, but that's how it seems to work.

I don't think it's that weird that Duke will move ahead of NW. In a vacuum, NW lost to two ranked conference foes, has a much better win than anything Duke has (Stanford), and has the head to head at Duke. On the other side, they have gotten destroyed the last two weeks. If those games had looked remotely competitive, I'd think NW stays ahead. It's just so hard to keep a team in that has lost its last two by a combined score of 78-10.

As for Duke's actual position, I think there are a couple of other spots to look at. In the AP poll, you have to wonder where the voters put Toledo's ceiling. They are 22 right now and theoretically poised to move up a few spots. The good news for them right now, is that the teams who could leapfrog them are all either Go5 teams or had a bye this week. If rankings go as predicted, Toledo should be about 18-20 in the AP poll, but in the next few weeks, I'd look for teams to leapfrog them as I suspect many AP voters will hesitate on putting them in the top 15.

The last thing to look at is just how far Ole Miss will drop. Theoretically, you would think that an undefeated Memphis team with a head to head win will be ranked above Ole Miss, so there's likely to be a pretty narrow window for voters if they want Ole Miss behind Memphis but ahead of Duke. I think that the Alabama win plus the SEC factor will indeed keep Ole Miss in that narrow window, but it's possible that Duke would jump them this week.

hallcity
10-18-2015, 11:45 AM
I hate to say it but I think that Pitt has a better argument for being ranked than Duke. Two good road wins and a "good" road loss for Pitt, compared to Duke's two good home wins and one "good" home loss. It's hard to compare Duke's record to UNC but UNC certainly has an argument for being ranked ahead of Duke. Those two teams may take votes away from Duke. In a way, that makes no sense but few voters are going to vote for Duke, UNC and Pitt. Some votes that go to UNC or Pitt may come out of Duke's total.

Without playing a game, Duke could drop out of the top 25.

Olympic Fan
10-18-2015, 12:30 PM
FWIW, Duke used the off-week to climb in the national (statistical) rankings.

As of this morning, Duke is No. 4 in the nation in total defense (still just third in the ACC, which has three of the top four), second nationally in pass defense (both in yardage allowed and in efficiency) and -- the biggie -- second in the nation in scoring defense.

Michigan leads that category after giving up 65 points in seven games -- an average of 9.29 a game. Duke has given up 56 points in six games -- an average of 9.33 a game.

Interesting that Michigan State didn't attempt the extra point after scoring the game-winning TD on the final play against Michigan Saturday -- had they tried and converted that point, Michigan's defensive average would have dropped to 9.43 -- and we'd be leading the nation in scoring defense. It's that close.'

It's been a long, long time since Duke was anywhere near the top in defensive rankings ... Wallace Wade would be proud!

Bob Green
10-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Duke moved up three spots to #21 in the Coaches Poll:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/coaches

Olympic Fan
10-18-2015, 01:13 PM

One of three ACC teams ranked -- Clemson No. 6 and FSU No. 9 ... Pitt is No. 28 and UNCheat is No. 29, just outside the rankings.

Beat Virginia Tech this week and there's a good chance we crack the top 20!

(Just for reference, the highest ranking in the Cutcliffe era was No. 19 just before the VPI game last year)

Bob Green
10-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Duke is #23 in the AP Poll.

brevity
10-18-2015, 02:37 PM

Duke is #23 in the AP Poll.

Nailed it, but not really. In the AP poll, Duke moved ahead of 4 teams (UCLA, Northwestern, Boise State, and Ole Miss) but was leapfrogged by 2 teams (Memphis and Temple). In the Coaches Poll, Duke moved ahead of the same 4 teams but was leapfrogged by Toledo.

There are 14 undefeated teams left at the FBS level, and all are ranked. Three are in the Big Ten (Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa), Big 12 (Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State), and American (Memphis, Houston, Temple). Two are in the ACC (Clemson, FSU). Then there's one in the Pac-12 (Utah), SEC (LSU), and MAC (Toledo). Duke is ranked behind all of them in the AP, and ahead of Houston and Temple by the coaches.