FYI

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092607aaa.html

-jk
09-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks! That was a pleasure to read.

-jk

dkbaseball
09-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Leo was also a fine pitcher on the baseball team, though he short-armed the ball and didn't throw it much harder than he did a football. He kept the ball down, changed speeds and really knew how to compete. Also one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet, and continues to be.

Duke QB's tend to be a bit underrated. Leo's never gotten much press for holding such an impressive record. And Sonny Jurgensen was probably the best pure passer I ever saw, though he never gets mentioned in the Unitas Montana sort of conversations about the best ever.

Good story, Jim.

madscavenger
09-26-2007, 08:12 PM
What a great article, Jim. Loads of memories for me. And Al Woodall - i'll never forget his "favorite" play: drop back 18 and go down (seemed to happen an awful lot, and it always seemed to be 18 yards). To his credit, he also, though not as frequently, went deep into the backfield and managed to pull off some VERY long passes and amazing scrambles. I don't remember who was on the line (or maybe i've just blacked that out), but he never much got to just stand there and hit someone in stride the way a play was designed. The Jets apparently saw something in him that would make a good fit.

Atldukie79
09-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks Jim for recalling some great memories for me. I was a Brogden Junior High school student in Durham during Leo Hart's career. I would wear my Boy Scout uniform to the games. In exchange for arriving early, I got a free hot dog, Coke, free entry to the game, and all I had to do was usher. And by the way, there were actually a lot of people in those splinter ridden seats. I recall the shoe string play, but was annoyed that all I saw was Wes Chesson racing to the endzone. I vaguely recall that the film guys were also surprised and did not capture the whole play. Are you aware of any footage of that surprise play? I have never seen any other team use that play ...are you aware of any? Great to hear about Leo Hart today.

Bob Green
09-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Jim,

Thanks for another great article. My Dad and I were in the end zone seats for many games during the Leo Hart/Wes Chesson years. Your article brought back some fond memories.

jimsumner
09-26-2007, 11:50 PM
"Are you aware of any footage of that surprise play?"

I'm pretty sure there isn't any. Wes and I were talking about this. Film was expensive in the dark ages and apparently the camera crews would turn off the cameras between plays. So by the time they figured out what was going on, WC was long gone down the sidelines.

SmartDevil
09-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Wonderful article, Jim. Brought back memories of some great people and experiences.

killerleft
09-28-2007, 12:00 AM
I very much enjoyed Jim Sumner's story on Leo Hart. My high school buddy and I were, of course, big fans back then, and rarely missed a game. I particularly remember the 17-13 win made famous by the Shoestring Play, which, strangely enough, was also known by the name Killer Left.

When Hart bent down to "tie his shoe", I looked away for a second. My buddy smacked me on the shoulder, saying "Look! Look!". By the time I figured out Chesson had the ball, he was already five or ten yards into unc territory. His run was discovered by the heels in time to make the last 15 yards a little interesting, but Wes easily dodged a defender or two on his way to the endzone. The victory was marked by a great defensive stand by Duke after the excellent running back McCauley had run the heels inside the ten.

We watched the Duke Football show the next day, but the film guy didn't pick up the play until Chesson had almost polished off the touchdown run.

killerleft
09-28-2007, 09:16 AM
I always wondered whether the visiting team might have captured the play on film.

Olympic Fan
09-28-2007, 10:29 AM
"Are you aware of any footage of that surprise play?"

I'm pretty sure there isn't any. Wes and I were talking about this. Film was expensive in the dark ages and apparently the camera crews would turn off the cameras between plays. So by the time they figured out what was going on, WC was long gone down the sidelines.

I've seen the Duke game film and it picks up the play with Chesson at about the 20 yard line, surrounded by a bevy of blockers and no Carolina defenders close. He's close to the visitor's sideline going in to the end zone at the open end of the horseshoe.

It would be interesting to see if the UNC game film did any better. I doubt it ...

I saw the play live and didn't realize that Leo was tying his shoe. He ran the option right for a short gain. As the players unpile, Hart is the last guy up. He takes a few steps toward the middle of the field, then rather abruptly kneels down. My immediate impression is that Leo was hurt. I can remember the moment of intense dread -- I couldn't imagine winning without Leo. As Marcel bent over him, I was expecting him to straighten up and wave for help from the sideline. I really believe that in that instant, every eye in the stadium was on Leo and Marcel. I know I never noticed the rest of the team forming up on the far side of the field.

Great story, Jim. Interesting point about all the quarterbacks being signed. That was a great year for North Carolina prep quarterbacks. Leo was the 3-A all-state quarterback. Wes was the 2-A all-state QB and the 1-A all-state QB was John Swofford, who went to UNC (whatever happened to him?). The Tar Heels also signed the black all-state QB, Ricky Lanier -- he mostly played WR at UNC, but because of injuries at the position he was the starting Carolina QB in the Shoestring game.

Oh, Duke also landed the 4-A all-state QB that year, who was also the Parade All-America first-team QB. But Brad Evans elected to play basketball.

One last note. Although Wes found fame as a WR (and in the context of his times, his receiving numbers are every bit as impressive as Hart's passing stats), I think I'm right about this -- he started his first game at Duke as the starting tailback. Hart and Chesson led Duke to a stunning victory at South Carolina in their first varsity game.