PDA

View Full Version : Duke @ Miami

Bob Green
09-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Duke travels to Miami this Saturday to face the Canes and their high-powered offense. Miami is favored to win by 21 points. While I easily agree that Miami should be favored and agree that a Duke victory would be a huge upset, I believe 21 points is a bit large for the spread.

My opinion is that Duke's offense is hitting on all eight cylinders and capable of putting up a decent amount of points on the Canes so Duke will easily cover the spread. With a couple of key Miami turnovers at critical points in the game and a little 4th Quarter luck (we are overdue for some luck), Duke pulls off a huge upset.

Go Duke! Beat Miami!

allenmurray
09-26-2007, 04:30 PM
yeah 21 is a little large for a team that lost by 55 to oklahoma

especially when we have been playin so well

i was talkin to eron riley and it sounds like that lost actually got the team more excited for this week

prediction: Duke 34 Miami 41

Close game but i dont see a victory

SilkyJ
09-26-2007, 05:12 PM

i was talkin to eron riley and it sounds like that lost actually got the team more excited for this week

I hope you are right, and while I agree with Bob that our offense is starting to come together, I think there needs to be an asterisk there: our PASSING offense is doing well, but we still have ZERO ZILCH NADA on the ground. Navy had a mediocre defense...and we only got 78 yards on the ground! We'll need a running game against Thug U.

Also, while our offense seems to be clicking, and Miami isn't the team it once was, Northwester and Navy ain't Miami.

I think 21 points is fair, b/c while we have a good shot of scoring some points and hanging in there, we are Duke, and we have an equally good shot of getting blown out, especially on the road. This year is still a rebuilding year as far as I'm concerned, and the fact that Thad is playing so well in only his 14/15th game, is promising. I think next year with some of the bigtime recruits having a bunch of experience under their belts, we might actually win 3,4 or 5 games. This year is still a wash the way I see it.

Thug U: 41 Duke: 17

-jk
09-26-2007, 05:40 PM

You may well be right, but can you tone down the bolds just a bit? It's rough on the eyes.

thanks,

-jk

sandinmyshoes
09-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Shouldn't a football offense be hitting on eleven cylinders?

cspan37421
09-26-2007, 11:36 PM
I dunno, but if I can get a broadband internet play-by-play, I'm cranking my PC speakers up to 11!

Bluedawg
09-27-2007, 09:42 AM
The offense has shown that they are capable of scoring some points, but my concern is that the defense has not shown that they can stop anyone.

The old saying is true, offense sells tickets but defense wins ballgames. I think this year proves that. Duke should be 4-0.

Chard
09-27-2007, 09:54 AM
It is going to be ugly.

UM 38

Duke 10

Bluedawg
09-27-2007, 10:07 AM
It is going to be ugly.

UM 38

Duke 10

I think it'll be closer than that.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-27-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm a fan of both of these teams (went to Duke; grew up in Miami), and I'll be at the game on Saturday in my Duke clothes. I want Duke to look good, but in the end, I guess I'm not really pulling for the upset. The Miami program is gathering momentum and the last thing we need is a loss to Duke. It isn't that I'm more of a Miami fan than a Duke fan; in fact, I'd say it's the opposite. It's just about where these programs are right now. Duke can live with a loss to Miami, and while a win would be pretty special, I still don't think it would propel the program to anything much. The Duke program needs a lot of time and a lot of work.

I think the over/under on this game is 47. I would certainly take the over on this one, if I were a betting man. Duke is not going to be able to stop Miami, which is why they're going to lose. Miami has two excellent RBs, and while our WRs are just awful, they'll still be able to outrun the Duke defense. They just need to catch the freaking ball. Kyle Wright looked good last week, and this matchup should be even easier for him. OTOH, I think Duke can put up some points. The "Boyle For A Yard" stuff isn't going to get it done against the Canes stiff run D. Miami shut down a much better Texas A&M running game last week. But if they let Thaddeus Lewis loose, and if the OL can keep Calais Campbell off his butt, I think Duke can get 2-3 TDs.

I see it ending up something like 38-21 in favor of Miami.

GO DUKE!!! GO MIAMI!!!

Also, I kind of resent the "Thug U" comments, although they're understandable considering Da U's past. There's a new regime in place now, and I can pretty much guarantee that stuff is in the past. If you don't know much about the new coach Randy Shannon, I suggest you read a little about him. Very interesting (and sad) life story, but you believe him when he says he's not going to put up with any of that mess. His players even admit to being a little scared of him.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-27-2007, 10:37 PM
I dunno, but if I can get a broadband internet play-by-play, I'm cranking my PC speakers up to 11!

I think someone in chat linked to yahoo sports 2 games ago and they were streaming both teams' radio broadcasts. Also this site http://www.theboss.us/ has streamed games in the past.

And Kudos to BobGreen for predicting a Duke win on Saturday. I'll extend my title to surround you for a few days, sort of like extending one's shields around another star ship! (I was in the mood for a Star Trek reference.)

Wander
09-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Unlike last year or the year before, we're good enough to catch one of the middle-of-the-pack ACC teams napping this year. Individually, the odds aren't good at beating Miami, or beating Wake, or beating Georgia Tech, or beating FSU. But collectively... I think we take down one of them.

SilkyJ
09-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Also, I kind of resent the "Thug U" comments, although they're understandable considering Da U's past. There's a new regime in place now, and I can pretty much guarantee that stuff is in the past.

Not to be mean, but I mean come on. YOU can pretty much guarantee whats going on in the inner circles of UM football???

moreover, miami has been a dirty program since jimmy johnson. I think the problem at UM lies with upper administration/board and so a new regime means little to me.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-28-2007, 12:52 AM
Not to be mean, but I mean come on. YOU can pretty much guarantee whats going on in the inner circles of UM football???

moreover, miami has been a dirty program since jimmy johnson. I think the problem at UM lies with upper administration/board and so a new regime means little to me.

Nothing is "going on" in the inner circles because there have been no disciplinary issues to speak of. The players know if there's another fight like there was last year they will be heavily disciplined and possibly kicked off the team. I know that this program will be clean for the same reason I know the Duke basketball program will be clean...I have total faith in the man in charge to stick to his word.

SilkyJ
09-28-2007, 02:36 AM
Nothing is "going on" in the inner circles because there have been no disciplinary issues to speak of.

we're only 4 games in...have a little faith.

The players know if there's another fight like there was last year they will be heavily disciplined and possibly kicked off the team. I know that this program will be clean for the same reason I know the Duke basketball program will be clean...I have total faith in the man in charge to stick to his word.

If you really wanna throw randy shannon in with the likes of Coach K in terms of integrity, be my guest. But I'm afraid I disagree. Coach K is widely known for his impeccable integrity and he has quite the pedigree to back it up: West Point, then Boddy Knight, another coach who despite troubles with his temper, is known for his integrity and passion for not only basketball but academics. Shannon came up under Dennis Erickson, who wasn't exactly clean, and shannon doesn't have enough of a track record to really base much on, especially not compared to Krzyzewski's.

If you want to have faith in him, that's fine, but you really want to compare him to K?

asbcheeks
09-28-2007, 10:36 AM
we're only 4 games in...have a little faith.

If you really wanna throw randy shannon in with the likes of Coach K in terms of integrity, be my guest. But I'm afraid I disagree. Coach K is widely known for his impeccable integrity and he has quite the pedigree to back it up: West Point, then Boddy Knight, another coach who despite troubles with his temper, is known for his integrity and passion for not only basketball but academics. Shannon came up under Dennis Erickson, who wasn't exactly clean, and shannon doesn't have enough of a track record to really base much on, especially not compared to Krzyzewski's.

If you want to have faith in him, that's fine, but you really want to compare him to K?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/09/04/shannon0910/index.html

He might not have the track record or the pedigree of K, but I'd put Shannon right up there in terms of integrity.

wilson
09-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Unlike last year or the year before, we're good enough to catch one of the middle-of-the-pack ACC teams napping this year. Individually, the odds aren't good at beating Miami, or beating Wake, or beating Georgia Tech, or beating FSU. But collectively... I think we take down one of them.

I agree (or at least I'd really like to). Something along the lines of Climpsun '04(?).

JasonEvans
09-28-2007, 11:15 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/09/04/shannon0910/index.html

He might not have the track record or the pedigree of K, but I'd put Shannon right up there in terms of integrity.

Hey Shannon sounds like a great guy and is apparently full of integrity. But we need to see him coach for a few years at least before we put him up there with the guys who have decades of integrity under their belt. That would be true even if he was the second coming of Mother Theressa.

Also, the problems at Miami and other programs that have been corrupt in the past are not something that only falls at the feet of the head coach. An entire school, including the big-money boosters, must be committed to honesty and integrity for it to really work. Miami simply does not have a good track record in this regard. While the school's recent statements and decisions appear to be on the right course, it is still a matter of time before we know for sure how things are working out.

--Jason "the ACC is not like the SEC in terms of cheating... Miami knows this" Evans

SilkyJ
09-28-2007, 12:57 PM

Oh my god. A sports illustrated writer thinks he's a good guy. consider me converted.

Hey Shannon sounds like a great guy and is apparently full of integrity. But we need to see him coach for a few years at least before we put him up there with the guys who have decades of integrity under their belt. That would be true even if he was the second coming of Mother Theressa.

Also, the problems at Miami and other programs that have been corrupt in the past are not something that only falls at the feet of the head coach. An entire school, including the big-money boosters, must be committed to honesty and integrity for it to really work. Miami simply does not have a good track record in this regard. While the school's recent statements and decisions appear to be on the right course, it is still a matter of time before we know for sure how things are working out.

--Jason "the ACC is not like the SEC in terms of cheating... Miami knows this" Evans

Silky "Jason is usually more eloquent and less obnoxious than me" J

Chard
09-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Also, I kind of resent the "Thug U" comments, although they're understandable considering Da U's past. There's a new regime in place now, and I can pretty much guarantee that stuff is in the past. If you don't know much about the new coach Randy Shannon, I suggest you read a little about him. Very interesting (and sad) life story, but you believe him when he says he's not going to put up with any of that mess. His players even admit to being a little scared of him.

You and I are one in the same in regards to Duke and UM except my order of preferrence is the opposite.

You can expect immature, ignorant, juvenile comments when dealing with sports based boards. Think of that type of remark as the same as spelling Duke with two O's. Think of that type of opinion as the same as the "Duke gets all the calls" hogwash. You can spend your time trying to educate and arguing or you can just let it slide and let the posters own words speak for them.

SilkyJ
09-28-2007, 03:19 PM
You and I are one in the same in regards to Duke and UM except my order of preferrence is the opposite.

You can expect immature, ignorant, juvenile comments when dealing with sports based boards. Think of that type of remark as the same as spelling Duke with two O's. Think of that type of opinion as the same as the "Duke gets all the calls" hogwash. You can spend your time trying to educate and arguing or you can just let it slide and let the posters own words speak for them.

And you can be brainwashed or naive enough to convince yourself that Miami is a clean school. I probably shouldn't make those juvenile comments like "thug U", but I really, really, really, hate how corrupt college athletics has become and its one of those things that just pisses me off. I have no respect for the U of M program or its fans. (Its worth noting that this sentiment also applies to quite a few other schools)

Chard
09-28-2007, 08:49 PM
And you can be brainwashed or naive enough to convince yourself that Miami is a clean school. I probably shouldn't make those juvenile comments like "thug U", but I really, really, really, hate how corrupt college athletics has become and its one of those things that just pisses me off. I have no respect for the U of M program or its fans. (Its worth noting that this sentiment also applies to quite a few other schools)

Care to point out specifics or are you just going to make blanket statements. I don't care if you respect me or not based on who I choose to cheer for. What I do care about is if you have anything to base your hatred on. Please, cure me of my brainwashing.

VaDukie
09-29-2007, 01:15 PM
We're down 10-0 at half. From the ESPN stat line is looks like Lewis is lighting it up again, but we have no running game and Lewis is being sacked repeatedly.

If the defense stays strong and we make a couple plays, we could win this game.

ehdg
09-29-2007, 01:25 PM
I think someone in chat linked to yahoo sports 2 games ago and they were streaming both teams' radio broadcasts. Also this site http://www.theboss.us/ has streamed games in the past.

Tks Oz but sadly their streaming the VA Tech game against unc.
:o

Wander
09-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Ronnie Drummer makes it 10-7... we've got a shot.

YmoBeThere
09-29-2007, 02:16 PM
All important 4th quarter coming up. We have the ball with decent field position. Let's see if we can make this exciting.

YmoBeThere
09-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Seconds after posting, we fumble...

dukeisawesome
09-29-2007, 02:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/scoreboard?&w=5&c=acc

Click the Duke audio link to listen.

Canes are about to score though :(

dukeisawesome
09-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Eron Riley hasn't caught a ball according to Yahoo....is he hurt?

dukeisawesome
09-29-2007, 02:28 PM
ughhhhhhhh, sounds like a BS pass interference call.... "The sad part about it is you can't review an official making a bad call"

TD Miami :(

YmoBeThere
09-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Was anyone able to actually see the call that they are talking about?

Wander
09-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see it myself... I don't exactly trust these guys to be impartial.

Indoor66
09-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see it myself... I don't exactly trust these guys to be impartial.

You mean like "Duke gets all the calls"?

Stray Gator
09-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Was anyone able to actually see the call that they are talking about?

We're listening to the XM broadcast, which is carrying the Miami announcers. (XM always broadcasts the home team's crew.) The flag on the pass interference in the end zone was very, very late--even Miami's announcers suggested it was in response to the end zone crowd's reaction. The Miami announcers said that Roof was livid, and looked like the way Coach K might have reacted to a unfavorable call.

dukeisawesome
09-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Touchdown Eron Riley!!

YmoBeThere
09-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Eron Riley hasn't caught a ball according to Yahoo....is he hurt?

We just heard from Eron Riley!:)

captmojo
09-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Eron is still a beast!!!!!!!!

YmoBeThere
09-29-2007, 02:38 PM
I missed last week's game other than to see a final score(was in Vegas which had us a a 14 point favorite). Given that we are down by 3 now, where do we stand this week with regards to our kicking game?

Wander
09-29-2007, 02:38 PM
You mean like "Duke gets all the calls"?

I don't even know what that means, but the guys on the Duke Radio network were practically in tears about the call. It sounds every bit like a terrible call - especially reading what Stray Gator said - but I don't think I'm unreasonable to be skeptical of our announcers' neutrality.

Touchdown Eron Riley. We've got Maggio as our kicker by the way. Still alive...

formerdukeathlete
09-29-2007, 02:39 PM
by QB Lewis - shout out - is this something which can be avoided through coaching. Fumbles = lapse of concentration, or not accepting the outcome of a play - you have gone as far as you can - protect the ball, or you are caught, protect the ball and sit down. caveat - listening to the game - it did not appear that the ball had been speared or otherwise knocked out from the blind side.

17 - 14 Miami, 9:46 left in 4th quarter.

Jumbo
09-29-2007, 02:42 PM
caveat - listening to the game - it did not appear that the ball had been speared or otherwise knocked out from the blind side

How can anything "appear" while you are listening? Shocking news, folks: FDA jumping to conclusions without the facts. In this case, he's deciding why fumbles occurred WITHOUT EVEN HAVING SEEN THE FUMBLE. Yup, it's all coaching. You got it.
C'mon, Duke. Pull this one out. Otherwise, FDA is taking over as AD/football coach next year.

YmoBeThere
09-29-2007, 02:42 PM
RE: fumbles

Listening to Internet Radio also, so don't know what I don't know.

dukeisawesome
09-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Huge stop! Now let's go score.

captmojo
09-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Miami turns over on downs. Huge!

YmoBeThere
09-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Late flag....on Miami!

Wander
09-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Late flag....on Miami!

Make it two!

YmoBeThere
09-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Is Thad okay after the late hit?

dukeisawesome
09-29-2007, 02:56 PM
At what point would you trust Maggio to hit a FG?

YmoBeThere
09-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Apparently not at 48 yards. Darn, we need to hold'em.

captmojo
09-29-2007, 02:58 PM
There is still time.

dukeisawesome
09-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Why do I put myself through this?

YmoBeThere
09-29-2007, 03:00 PM
It just got a little tougher...

YmoBeThere
09-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Why do I put myself through this?

I do it because I am a fan and an alum and win or lose this will always be my team.

captmojo
09-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Disaster.

Too sick to write

Must get beer

Why punt?

dukeisawesome
09-29-2007, 03:06 PM
I know we are tired of moral victories, but if a few years ago you were tell any of us we'd be driving down the field with a chance to win @ Miami late in the 4th, we'd all take it.

Wander
09-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Why punt?

Yeah... obviously it's a 1 in 1000 chance for a win, but what the hell is the point of not even trying? Absolutely nothing to lose.

YmoBeThere
09-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Progress today, we also beat the spread.

Notre Dame losing to Purdue 26-12 with 9:00 to go in the 4th. I almost wish we were playing them sooner rather than later.

captmojo
09-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Somebody should create the Extra Special Double Secret Touchdown.
Make it worth 9 points, plus an after conversion.

formerdukeathlete
09-29-2007, 03:32 PM
How can anything "appear" while you are listening? Shocking news, folks: FDA jumping to conclusions without the facts. In this case, he's deciding why fumbles occurred WITHOUT EVEN HAVING SEEN THE FUMBLE. Yup, it's all coaching. You got it.
C'mon, Duke. Pull this one out. Otherwise, FDA is taking over as AD/football coach next year.

After the game on the Duke radio network - we were on the 30 and he went for it rather than try a field goal - his rationale, "we came here to win it not tie it." I believe we were into the wind and perhaps we had no chance of getting the field goal, but his choice of words.....ties are resolved in overtime.

To be more direct about Lewis - he is prone to fumble and not throw the ball away when he might before a sack. I don't know the solution / resolution. Asack is less prone to the fumble - in practice and otherwise - he has the same coaches.

RelativeWays
09-29-2007, 03:50 PM
I take solace wherever I can find it. We lost to the Hurricanes by five last year and most of their starters were suspended after the fight with FI. This year we play at Miami with all of their starters, the same team that smashed nationally ranked Texas AM just over a week ago, have a chance to win late in the fourth and come up short by 10. This one is easier to swallow than the Navy game last week.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-29-2007, 03:55 PM
To be more direct about Lewis - he is prone to fumble and not throw the ball away when he might before a sack. I don't know the solution / resolution. Asack is less prone to the fumble - in practice and otherwise - he has the same coaches.

I only listened to a few minutes of the end of the game, so I can't comment on how we played, although it sounds like I will put this one in the "played above the expectations of many, definite progress towards decency" column.

As for Lewis being fumble prone, I think the solution is time and experience. Remember, he is a true sophomore (and Asack is a red-shirt sophomore). As this year goes on, and for the next two years, he'll hopefully do better in holding onto the ball, and throwing the ball away to avoid a sack or interception.

ikiru36
09-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Another pretty impressive performance by Thad, at least by the numbers. The young man is a (non-redshirt) Sophomore, at Miami, getting sacked 5+ (a different boxscore listed it as 9 sacks!) times and he still manages to be 17 for 26 for 229 yards, 2 TDs and no picks.

I'm certainly glad to also have a likely capable backup in Asack, but given the protection (or relative lack thereof) and decent quality of opponent throughout this year, Thad has been pretty amazing. His QB rating this year going into this game was 93.9 and it's probably higher now.

Certainly, the fumbles are a big problem, one of the most infuriating things to have happen when one is listening as a fan, but don't discount all of the positives Mr. Lewis (especially in combination with Mr. Riley) is showing.

And as for the previously anemic running game, while not spectacular today, our top 2 backs each averaged over 4.5 yards per rush, at Miami. Not bad.

Clearly, when this team puts it all together, they are talented enough to win at least 2 more games this year (despite a tough schedule). If they don't, to me, that's on the coaching staff. But I'm certainly rooting for them all to succeed.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!

Bluedawg
09-29-2007, 04:25 PM
I think what we are seeing is the maturity of the team. Who would have thought that Duke would have been within 3 points with 3 minutes left to play?

I still think fatigue has a lot to do with the team's woes.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Just back from the game. It was VERY winnable for Duke. There was a lot of talk about the pass interference call that led to Miami's second TD. From where I was sitting (admittedly pretty far away), I couldn't believe the ref threw that flag. It didn't look like a penalty, and the flag did not come out until well after the play had ended. I had already stopped looking for a flag--it was very late.

A crucial dropped pass on 3rd down helped kill that final drive in Miami territory. It looked like Duke was going to have a first down inside the 20, but it bounced off #20's hands.

Obviously the fumbles hurt. If Thad doesn't keep putting the ball on the ground, maybe Duke comes away with a win. But I was just glad to see him perform well against a top defense. A lot of his throws were bullets to receivers that were well-covered. It was a rare to see a wide open Duke WR, but Thad made the most of it. He also didn't force anything, which is why you see 9 sacks, but it's also why you don't see any INTs. His decision-making and accuracy were excellent all game. He's from down here, and he had a lot of family at the game, so it was nice to see him do well.

Anyway, I could talk a lot more about the game, but I'll just stop here. I think we should be proud of the effort today. I'm not going to call it a moral victory, but it was still an effort to be proud of. This isn't like all those other times where we felt the team was making strides toward decency. This time we have a legitimate QB, and that makes a world of difference.

Duvall
09-29-2007, 06:00 PM
After the game on the Duke radio network - we were on the 30 and he went for it rather than try a field goal - his rationale, "we came here to win it not tie it." I believe we were into the wind and perhaps we had no chance of getting the field goal, but his choice of words.....ties are resolved in overtime.

Duke's disastrous kicking situation made a dubious proposition of either attempting a 48-yd. field goal or going to overtime at all.

To be more direct about Lewis - he is prone to fumble and not throw the ball away when he might before a sack.

Lewis is also prone to throwing touchdown passes - nine in the last three games.

sandinmyshoes
09-29-2007, 06:26 PM
It just seems to me that a little more depth would go a long way for this team. They always seem to fade just enough near the end of games to let them slip away. :(

ChrisP
09-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Duke's disastrous kicking situation made a dubious proposition of either attempting a 48-yd. field goal or going to overtime at all.

Lewis is also prone to throwing touchdown passes - nine in the last three games.

When a player makes a mistake it's CLEARLY the coaching staff's fault. Ted Roof just simply has do some better coachin' in order to stop those fumbles. Of course, those 9 TD's are ALL Thad, ALL the time!

wilson
09-29-2007, 07:31 PM
I understand that Surgan has some serious issues right now, but is the kicking cupboard really that bare behind him? A 48-yard field goal is never a done deal, especially in college, but the fact that it's not even a remote option for us right now really hurt the team today. The complexion of the whole game would have been different with an even decent FG unit. That our special teams are essentially nonexistent as a scoring option is fackin' pathetic, and it makes our program even more of a laughingstock.
To be fair, a very admirable performance by the team today, a moral victory of sorts I guess. But I (and many others, the players included, I'm sure) have long since had my fill of those.

Wander
09-29-2007, 08:01 PM
I know as well as anyone how much our inability to make field goals hurt us... but not today. That doesn't even make sense. It was 48 yards AND against wind. You need a great kicker for that, not merely a decent one.

And our team is hardly a "laughingstock" this year. We're a bad team, but we've improved significantly from last year. The moral victories are disappointing, but we're getting better and that's exactly what our program needs. This isn't the same as last year. Last year, we were competitive in some games, and absolutely blown out of the water in some games. We're making progress. To me, that's what's most important.

By the way, I think we have the best quarterback in our division of the ACC, and 4th best overall.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-29-2007, 08:31 PM
It just seems to me that a little more depth would go a long way for this team. They always seem to fade just enough near the end of games to let them slip away. :(

We need depth? Sure we need depth. But first you have to have quality, experienced starters and then you develop depth behind them. We are making good to excellent progress on step one. Patience and a couple of more years will lead to step two. And then we'll be going to bowl games!

wilson
09-30-2007, 09:44 AM
By the way, I think we have the best quarterback in our division of the ACC, and 4th best overall.

I totally agree. Thad could be quite special by his senior year. He's the brightest spot on what you rightly call an improved team.

JasonEvans
09-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Like many of you, I listened to a fair chunk of the game on internet radio. Obviously, my view is colored by the Duke announcers, but still...

We were very much in this game against a pretty darn good team. Miami took Texas A&M to the woodshed a week ago and will likely be ranked in the Top 25 this week. At this point, they very much appear to be a legit bowl team.

Not only were we in the game, but with about 4 minutes to go, it looked like we had an excellent chance of winning. We were really just one or two plays away from taking this game. That is extremely impressive in my book. The notion that our woeful kicking game wass to blame for us not attempting the 48-yarder doesn't hold water to me. That's a long kick for any college kicker. I completely support the decision to go for it. It was not like it was an impossible 4th and 17 kinda play. There was a very real chance of us making that play and driving for either a much easier FG or the game-winning TD. It just didn't happen for us.

The defense did not get down on itself after a poor effort against Navy. The D was not great, but it did a good job of holding when it had to. A classic bend-but-do-not-break defensive effort. They made a great stand late in the 4th, stopping Miami on 3rd and 2 and then 4th and 1 from about the Duke 40.

There can now be no question that Thad Lewis is a legit stud at QB and we are really moving the ball around to a lot of receivers. Eron Riley does nothing but catch TD passes-- looong TD passes-- it is sick!

The offensive line is still a work in progress. We struggle most of the time to rush the ball and Thad is getting sacked waaaay too much. Yeah, part of that may be Thad holding the ball too long but some of it is the line. We are at least making progress at running the ball and had some nice running plays. I am quite encouraged by that.

Bottom line-- there was a ton to be encouraged about yesterday and in each game over the past 3 weeks. To me, it is clear that the talented recruiting classes we have been hearing about in recent years appear to be finally paying some dividends.

--Jason "I've been saying for a while that being in it-- not getting blow out-- was more important to me near-term than actual Ws so I'll take games like this... at least for now ;) " Evans

Wander
09-30-2007, 12:24 PM
The offensive line is still a work in progress. We struggle most of the time to rush the ball and Thad is getting sacked waaaay too much. Yeah, part of that may be Thad holding the ball too long but some of it is the line. We are at least making progress at running the ball and had some nice running plays. I am quite encouraged by that.

Yeah, I thought the sacks were the difference in the game - this week's version of our kicking game. Imagine what Thad could do with a good offensive line.

wilson
09-30-2007, 02:47 PM
The notion that our woeful kicking game wass to blame for us not attempting the 48-yarder doesn't hold water to me. That's a long kick for any college kicker. I completely support the decision to go for it. It was not like it was an impossible 4th and 17 kinda play.
--Jason "I've been saying for a while that being in it-- not getting blow out-- was more important to me near-term than actual Ws so I'll take games like this... at least for now ;) " Evans

I agree with you in that particular instance. But that wasn't the first time during the game that such was the case. We definitely turned the ball over on downs at least one other time. Yes, the potential 48-yarder at the end of the game was a non-option. But the kicking game is a mess, and I still submit that it changed several drives and individual play calls that could otherwise have made the game different.

Bluedawg
09-30-2007, 03:22 PM

On radio after the game Coach Roof said he went for it because they went there to win the game not tie it.

The notion that our woeful kicking game wass to blame for us not attempting the 48-yarder doesn't hold water to me. That's a long kick for any college kicker. I completely support the decision to go for it.

Didn't Miami miss a closer filed goal at the end of the first half on that end of the field due primarily to the wind? I'm not sure I would have kicked a 48 yarder into that headwind even with a perfect kicker. i think he made the wise choice.

devilirium
09-30-2007, 10:18 PM
"It's just about where these programs are right now. Duke can live with a loss to Miami, and while a win would be pretty special, I still don't think it would propel the program to anything much. The Duke program needs a lot of time and a lot of work."

The first part of this post may be submitted for idiotic post of the year. Not propel to Duke to greater heights? Are you ******** serious? That win would've been huge for the program. We haven't had an ACC win in 3 friggin years? With the exception of one game (until yesterday), Miami had looked like a pretty good football team.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-30-2007, 11:27 PM
We haven't had an ACC win in 3 friggin years?

That will change next Saturday.

Beat Wake!

Bob Green
10-01-2007, 05:02 AM
The first part of this post may be submitted for idiotic post of the year. Not propel to Duke to greater heights? Are you ******** serious? That win would've been huge for the program. We haven't had an ACC win in 3 friggin years? With the exception of one game (until yesterday), Miami had looked like a pretty good football team.

I agree with devilirium 100 percent. A win over Miami in the Orange Bowl last Saturday could have been the watershed moment for Duke Football in the 21st Century.

dukeisawesome
10-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Miami is now just out of the polls at 26 in the AP and 27 in the Coach's so I think that goes to show how we are definitely improved.

I'd like to see some improvement in the running game though, hopefully we get some blockers next year because defenses are going to catch on to Lewis-to-Riley pretty quick if we don't have any other weapons.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-01-2007, 05:10 PM
"It's just about where these programs are right now. Duke can live with a loss to Miami, and while a win would be pretty special, I still don't think it would propel the program to anything much. The Duke program needs a lot of time and a lot of work."

Well, I'll be happy to take that award. I should take offense to this, but I don't really care. I'm sorry you don't agree with me, but my mind is unchanged. A win would have been really nice, but one or two years out, that win--in isolation--would have changed nothing. It's not like better players are going to suddenly start going to Duke just because they beat Miami. People don't make life decisions over something so small.

Now, if this team is truly better then they'll win a few ACC games, and then maybe that'll get into the head of some high school players out there. But that is mostly independent of the Miami game. We are either good enough to string together a few ACC wins or we're not. If we just beat Miami and then lose out it doesn't matter.

Do you think this program would be any different today if we had made that FG last year against Wake Forest? I say no. We'd have the same team.

And if that makes no sense to you, and I'm still the idiot of the year, then so be it.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Do you think this program would be any different today if we had made that FG last year against Wake Forest? I say no. We'd have the same team.

And if that makes no sense to you, and I'm still the idiot of the year, then so be it.

I think if we had made the field goal against Wake, had completed the pass for a TD against Miami and made the 2 blocked kicks against carolina we'd be a different team today with the same players. We'd probably at least be 3 - 2 today if we had, beating Navy and Miami (again).

If you are relying on more than one or two key true freshman to contribute (and hopefully not your quarterback) in order to be better, then you are in big trouble. That's why we keep talking about having 3rd and 4th year players as starters and backups, instead of frosh and sophomores bing your key players. Last I looked, both our quarterbacks were sophomores.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-01-2007, 06:13 PM
1. I agree if we had a better kicking game, we'd be a better team today, but I'm talking about the effects of winning just one game against a marquee team.

2. If you're suggesting making those kicks would have given our players the confidence needed to win, or would have taught them how to win, then why didn't the Northwestern game accomplish that?

Whatever. I don't really want to get into a deep argument on this. I just wanted to defend my idiotic post of the year since I still agree with it.

devilirium
10-01-2007, 06:50 PM
I shouldn't be slinging names, Mabdul...I apologize for that. I suppose that makes me the idiot in this thread :O)

I will note that there are some kids on "the recruiting board" in the upcoming class that are three and four star kids that are enticed by Duke's success. Matt Daniels is one, in particular, who has had a Pied Piper effect on some other talented kids in the class. He has been offered by Georgia, but has not bought into their spiel. He has noticed the improvement with Duke and has been re recruiting some other kids like Lee Butler (who is right under Clemson's nose) who are on the fence.

You're right to state short term success won't give us access to recruiting classes like a Southern Cal, for instance. However, I remember a pretty good coach named Steve Logan commenting on this issue with Duke last year when he had a daily radio show in the Triangle. He specifically mentioned Duke as a place that would get a nice surge in recruiting because of the academic advantages that are already in place. The thinking went, "you're getting a great education, and damn you can win there, too" if the worm turned.

Now, you might say...well, it hasn't happened at conference peers like Wake or BC? And you'd be right. But, I think Duke has more notoriety than those schools. They have an OC that believes in a strong passing game, for one. Wake hasn't opted to go in that direction, though it may change with BC as Logan is their current coordinator.

I think a win at Miami would've really made their collective belief more stronger. They know that they can compete with virtually any team. But strong belief is a powerful thing. It's something that, as you can attest, we haven't had here in a long time.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-01-2007, 07:10 PM
OK, well, better recruiting is different. We all know that recruiting has improved under Roof, at least according to the rankings. And better recruiting is the sort of thing that can lead to long-term success. IMO, the way it works is you recruit a little better, so you win a little more, so you recruit a little better still, and so you win even more, and so on and on. But it takes TIME. One win--in the grand scheme--probably won't ammount to much. Maybe it serves as the tipping point for one or two kids, but I'd be surprised if it mattered much more than that. I never said a Miami win would be meaningless, but it's one small step on a very large staircase.

But since I am also a Miami fan, I was simply noting that a loss to Duke could have a much larger impact on a Miami program that is straining to get back to where it once was. Miami is winning the recruiting battle in South Florida right now--thanks in large part to Randy Shannon--but this is the most fiercely competitive area for recruiting in the country, and a loss to Duke is an embarassment that the program could ill afford.

And I was at the game and sat right behind the Duke sideline. I don't think there was any question that those kids thought they could--maybe even would--win. They didn't seem like a group lacking confidence. And I would bet you that most of the players on that team think they're going to win this weekend. I, too, think they very well might.

throatybeard
10-01-2007, 10:31 PM
I just wanted to defend my idiotic post of the year since I still agree with it.

"I'm not disagreeing with you as much as I'm agreeing with what I said."
---Dr Katz

gep
10-02-2007, 12:48 AM
And I was at the game and sat right behind the Duke sideline. I don't think there was any question that those kids thought they could--maybe even would--win. They didn't seem like a group lacking confidence. And I would bet you that most of the players on that team think they're going to win this weekend. I, too, think they very well might.

Actually, I hope the ENTIRE team and the ENTIRE coaching staff believes that they will win this weekend. I think their confidence is growing. GO DUKE!!!