PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call: Duke at VT

MarkD83
10-07-2015, 07:32 PM
I know that the Army my game is the "next play" and we need to focus on that football game.

However, I just received my tickets for the Duke at VT game. This is the first function that I will go to at Lane stadium where I am a "Duke" fan. (My kids go to VT so I have been there many times as a VT fan) So are there any activities with the Duke contingent so that I can finally meet some of the folks that post here?

fuse
10-07-2015, 09:22 PM
I won't be there (and have not been).
Rumour has it the VT football crowd is about as hospitable as Maryland basketball fans.
Have fun, be safe!

MarkD83
10-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Rumour has it the VT football crowd is about as hospitable as Maryland basketball fans.
Have fun, be safe!

If it is a night game this is almost true. There are no bottles being thrown but a long day of tailgating contributes to unruliness.

Afternoon games you get the occasional heckler, but if it is a sunny cool day with the mountain views from Lane everyone is a bit mellower.

That being said if VT loses to NCSU, the fans won't be mad at opposing fans but they will certainly turn on the team.

To give a brief early scouting report. It could be a defensive struggle. Both Duke and VT have great defenses and VT is down to their 2nd string freshman QB and even he is hurt. If Duke doesn't find an offensive rhythm then it will be the battle of the FG kickers.

BigWayne
10-07-2015, 10:17 PM
If Duke is organizing anything for alumni, they will send out notices based on regional alumni lists in the area. If they do, it will probably be a pricey tailgate party.

The players parents do seem to always have something organized for away games and post it up here. (http://dukefootballparents.com/away-games/)

duke2x
10-08-2015, 10:01 AM
I know that the Army my game is the "next play" and we need to focus on that football game. However, I just received my tickets for the Duke at VT game. This is the first function that I will go to at Lane stadium where I am a "Duke" fan. (My kids go to VT so I have been there many times as a VT fan) So are there any activities with the Duke contingent so that I can finally meet some of the folks that post here?

I've never gotten anything from Duke about pregame activities for most ACC road games. You usually need to have a big alumni contingent outside VA-SC before Duke organizes a pregame tailgate.

I don't want to go in details about one trip to Cassell Coliseum, but VT ranks last behind Maryland in terms of personal safety for some Duke fans. Walking back to my car from Lane in 2013 eased that pain a little. :)

Tom B.
10-08-2015, 12:43 PM
That being said if VT loses to NCSU, the fans won't be mad at opposing fans but they will certainly turn on the team.

To some extent, this is already happening. A number of my friends are Virginia Tech alums or fans, and after Virginia Tech's stinker against Pittsburgh, my Facebook feed lit up with "Retire already, Frank!" messages.

To be clear, I don't get a sense that the fans are turning on the team (i.e., the players). But there's a healthy supply of grumpiness being directed at the coach. It's been brewing for a while now, and images like this one from last season only added fuel to it:

http://raleighco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/b3esvencqaafwdn.jpg

Acymetric
10-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Have fun, be safe!

I've heard that the crowds there are loud, never heard that they were inhospitable or dangerous and seriously doubt they have done anything to deserve comparison to Maryland fans who I have to believe have the worst track record of any college fan base and maybe any fan base period in that regard. Or maybe they're just that way when they play Duke, I don't know.

In other words, Maryland has the worst fans in the country, that comparison is not to be made lightly.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-08-2015, 11:04 PM
We'll be there, sitting in the Duke section. Had a great time there 2 years ago, and the VT fans were very gracious towards us after we beat them! Nothing at all like Twerp fans. GTHc! LGD!