PDA

View Full Version : Checking in on Tommy and Harvard

JasonEvans
10-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Not sure if folks have noticed, but Amaker is putting together a truly awe-inspiring (for an Ivy) 2016 recruiting class at Harvard.

As most of you probably know, most Ivies struggle to get 2-star players and maybe sometimes get lucky and land a 3-star recruit. Tommy is laughing at that notion with his 2016 class.

He has already signed 2 4-star (top 100) recruits. Chris Lewis is a top 50ish forward who had offers from more than a dozen power-5 conference schools such as Arkansas, Ga Tech, Cal, Kansas St., and Notre Dame. Harvard also signed 4-star PF Robert Baker who also had offers from schools like Auburn, Clemson, Miami, USC, and Vandy. Harvard also has a pair of 3-star recruits on board -- SF Seth Towns (both Michigan and Ohio St wanted him) and Justin Bassey, who is the #2 or #3 player in the state of Colorado.

Tomorrow, Tommy goes after another big prize in top-100 PG Bryce Aiken. Seton Hall and Miami are the other contenders for Aiken, who was also considering Fla St and DePaul.

If Tommy lands Aiken, it is not at all out of the question that Harvard could end up with one of the top 15 recruiting classes in the land in 2016. That's ridiculous!!

-Jason "Harvard may be down a little bit this season. They lost 4 significant seniors including their best player, Wesley Saunders" Evans

Mike Corey
10-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Nice article appeared (http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2015/07/13/towns-harvard-0713.html) in Towns' local paper this summer when he made his decision public.

“I realize that most people are going to look at this decision from a basketball perspective and wonder why I wouldn’t rather go to a program that’s getting national exposure and this and that,” he said. “Life after basketball is what most people don’t bother to look at it. It’s the most vital thing of all.

“I’ve embraced the challenge of breaking away from the stereotypes and perceptions of big-time college basketball.”

Richard Berg
10-07-2015, 03:07 PM
I wonder how much Linsanity has helped (even though Lin never played for Tommy).

flyingdutchdevil
10-07-2015, 03:24 PM
I wonder how much Linsanity has helped (even though Lin never played for Tommy).

Linsanity actually played for three years under Tommy (2007-2010). Tommy didn't recruit Lin, but he helped develop him.

Amaker is succeeding where so many Ivy League coaches have failed: recruiting. It's true that the Ivy League doesn't give scholarships, but they do give a ton of financial aid. And Tommy is getting this small niche of students who a) are really good at basketball, b) want to go Ivy League, c) fit the bill for Harvard financial aid (ie their families do not have substantial wealth).

MChambers
10-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Tommy's teams at Harvard could probably beat many of his Michigan teams. Yes, I realize Michigan was hurt by the NCAA sanctions resulting from Steve Fisher, Chris Webber, etc., but that's still amazing.

sagegrouse
10-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Linsanity actually played for three years under Tommy (2007-2010). Tommy didn't recruit Lin, but he helped develop him.

Amaker is succeeding where so many Ivy League coaches have failed: recruiting. It's true that the Ivy League doesn't give scholarships, but they do give a ton of financial aid. And Tommy is getting this small niche of students who a) are really good at basketball, b) want to go Ivy League, c) fit the bill for Harvard financial aid (ie their families do not have substantial wealth).

This has always been Ivy League propaganda -- and not ture in that all the Ivies give admission and need-based scholarships to athletes that would never have been occurred for the non-athlete applicant.

What has happened now at Harvard is that any student from a family with moderate income will get a free ride, expected to earn some income on his or her own, but otherwise having all costs covered. Therefore, the issue at Harvard is admission for prospective athletes, not financial aid. The same is true, although not quite to the same degree, at the other Ivies.

luburch
10-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Aiken will be attending Harvard.

According to Scout that gives Tommy two top-100 recruits. Aiken at No. 82 and Chris Lewis at No. 99. Scout has Baker as a 3-star and outside the top-100 FWIW. (I didn't check the other sites).

Regardless, Tommy continues his impressive run. Wonder if he will ever be tempted to move on from Harvard.

duke79
10-08-2015, 03:07 PM

According to Scout that gives Tommy two top-100 recruits. Aiken at No. 82 and Chris Lewis at No. 99. Scout has Baker as a 3-star and outside the top-100 FWIW. (I didn't check the other sites).

Regardless, Tommy continues his impressive run. Wonder if he will ever be tempted to move on from Harvard.

I'm guessing he would leave Harvard ONLY if one of the elite coaching jobs - Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc - offered him the job of head coach (and who knows if that will ever happen?). I have no idea what Harvard pays him but I'm guessing he (and his wife) have a good gig in Cambridge. It's not a bad life to be associated with the richest and, arguably, the greatest university in the world.

blUDAYvil
10-08-2015, 03:38 PM
I'm guessing he would leave Harvard ONLY if one of the elite coaching jobs - Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc - offered him the job of head coach (and who knows if that will ever happen?). I have no idea what Harvard pays him but I'm guessing he (and his wife) have a good gig in Cambridge. It's not a bad life to be associated with the Duke of the North.

fixed it for you

swood1000
10-08-2015, 04:03 PM

According to the Harvard dean of admissions:

The "Zero to 10% Standard": Harvard's new financial aid policy dramatically reduces the amount families with incomes below $180,000 will be expected to pay. Families with incomes above $120,000 and below $180,000 and with assets typical for these income levels are asked to pay 10 percent of their incomes. For those with incomes below $120,000 the family contribution percentage declines steadily from 10 percent, reaching zero for those with incomes at $60,000 and below. For example, a typical family making $150,000 is asked to pay approximately $15,000 for a child to attend Harvard College. Even families with incomes greater than $180,000 are eligible for grants if they face unusual financial challenges.

No Loans: In calculating the financial aid packages offered to undergraduates, Harvard does not expect students to take out loans. Loans have been replaced by increased grants from the University, but remain available for students and families upon request.

Eliminate Home Equity from Consideration: Harvard no longer considers home equity in determining a family's ability to pay for college. This change has reduced the price by an average of $4,000 per year for affected families as compared with previous practice. http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/harvarddean-part1/?_r=0

duke09hms
10-08-2015, 06:02 PM

His wife is a clinical psych PhD and has a director position at McLean Hospital, probably the most highly-regarded psych hospital in the world, so if he does decide to leave Harvard, it'll likely have to be somewhere with a top hospital system/medical school. Wonder where that might be ...