PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke @ Army - 12 PM EST, CBS Sports Network

loran16
10-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Duke Football rolls on! Somehow the team remains ridiculously high in statistical rankings:
#32 Sagarin Predictor, #14 Football Outsiders' FPlus, #11 Football Outsiders S&P+, #27 Football Outsiders' FEI rankings.

Duke opened as a 13 point favorite AT Army, though the line has dropped to -12. Army is not good, and their triple option is something we've already been proven to be capable of stopping. And well, they're nowhere near as good as GT (or as Navy). And for the first time since Tulane, Duke will face a FBS opponent who doesn't have a formidable defense.

A statistical profile of Army can be found here: http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2015-army-advanced-statistical-profile. Some basic points:
As a triple option offense, Army relies upon the run. Unfortunately, they're only 48th in Rushing O per S&P+, despite the option. When Army does pass, they're actually not bad (#16), but they've attempted 35 passes in 5 games. Their success in large part probably depends upon surprise, which doesn't mean we should worry about it too much.

As a Defense, Army is bad. Army is 72nd against the run in the Country (just below average), so Duke should finally be able to get some stuff done on the ground again. And Army is #118 (Near the bottom) in Passing D - they barely get any pressure on the QB, and don't do a good job covering. Sirk should have a lot more time and options to throw downfield.

It's a road game, so those are always tricky, but this should be a handy Duke win and a good place for the O to try out what they've been hoping to fix in practice.

TKG
10-06-2015, 01:25 PM
It's a road game, so those are always tricky, but this should be a handy Duke win and a good place for the O to try out what they've been hoping to fix in practice.

We will bubble screen them to death. The logic will be that we want to get our superior skill players in space against Army's inferior D. :p

BigWayne
10-06-2015, 02:24 PM
I like our chances, but Penn State couldn't cover the spread on Army.

Amazingly, looking at the numbers, we are the toughest team on Army's schedule this year. That's not something that has happened much the last few decades.

Olympic Fan
10-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Just one comment on the Army passing game ... if they can catch the corners and/or safeties cheating on the run, they can really hurt you with play action. If you put them in a passing situation -- either long yardage or by building a big lead -- they are almost helpless in the passing game.

One other note (although I mentioned it before) -- Army's best receiver and punt returner is a guy named Edgar Allen Poe. How cool is that (especially since the poet of that name also attended the USMA at West Point)?

Bob Green
10-06-2015, 07:49 PM
-- Army's best receiver and punt returner is a guy named Edgar Allen Poe. How cool is that (especially since the poet of that name also attended the USMA at West Point)?

Edgar Allen Poe* was court martialed and expelled from the USMA at West Point.

* the poet not the football player.

Kfanarmy
10-06-2015, 08:42 PM
We will bubble screen them to death. The logic will be that we want to get our superior skill players in space against Army's inferior D. :p
In Monken's second year, he is using a lot of underclassmen to get his system in place. The O line is very youg, so the run game has sputtered and hiccuped. QB Bradshaw, out last week, shows promise. I think he and Sirk are similar talents. Army's D is coming along...probably twenty spots above where their cumulative stats place them. The defensive backfield is young and not overly talented. If Duke passes effectively, the game could get out of hand. On the other hand, if Sirk is off or the team gets to Michie overconfident and sloppy, they may have a dogfight on their hands.

devildeac
10-06-2015, 09:19 PM
I hope we don't get in trouble up there defensively, but, if we do, I wonder if we could throw some pads, cleats, a helmet and a uniform on this dude and sneak him into the defensive backfield:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205147196

MarkD83
10-06-2015, 09:24 PM
I hope we don't get in trouble up there defensively, but, if we do, I wonder if we could throw some pads, cleats, a helmet and a uniform on this dude and sneak him into the defensive backfield:

I believe Leon deserves a raise because the quality of the defense is very high.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-06-2015, 10:03 PM

Leon's not available. He'll be coaching when Princeton plays Colgate (kickoff at 1P). Leon left LSU where he was a graduate assistant and now is an assistant coach at Princeton.

uh_no
10-06-2015, 10:33 PM
Edgar Allen Poe* was court martialed and expelled from the USMA at West Point.

* the poet not the football player.

probably for stuffing dead bodies or cats under the floorboards or in walls or something.

-bdbd
10-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Maybe we should place some USN logos on our uni's, cuz everybody knows Army can't ever beat Navy!! ;-)

What is it, like 20 years in a row now???

uh_no
10-07-2015, 12:10 AM
Maybe we should place some USN logos on our uni's, cuz everybody knows Army can't ever beat Navy!! ;-)

terrible too....when they lost a few years ago on a fumble at the 2 yard line.

Really humbling watching men and women that are about to begin their service, some of whom may not come home.

YmoBeThere
10-07-2015, 04:47 AM
Really humbling watching men and women that are about to begin their service, some of whom may not come home.

Don't forget, we have some of those on our campus also...

Bob Green
10-07-2015, 05:14 AM

The win streak is at 13. Army last won the game in 2001. Navy leads the series 59-49-7.

Indoor66
10-07-2015, 08:30 AM
One other note (although I mentioned it before) -- Army's best receiver and punt returner is a guy named Edgar Allen Poe. How cool is that (especially since the poet of that name also attended the USMA at West Point)?

Quoth the Raven nevermore.

OldPhiKap
10-08-2015, 08:54 AM
i would really like to see Braxton Deaver and Jela Duncan break out this week. That, and an off-week to work, would do wonders for our offense.

duke blue brewcrew
10-08-2015, 10:06 AM
i would really like to see Braxton Deaver and Jela Duncan break out this week. That, and an off-week to work, would do wonders for our offense.

I would absolutely agree with you. A breakout by both players would be great to see. Coming out of the Bye week, I would love to see the offense clicking and becoming more cohesive and efficient.

loran16
10-08-2015, 01:18 PM

With Deaver, that depends upon the playcalling really. Deaver has been targeted only 8 times this year so far through 5 games - only 2 times last game (both completions). They seem to insist upon him being more of a blocker than a receiver and it makes very little sense.

Bob Green
10-08-2015, 01:19 PM

devildeac
10-08-2015, 01:43 PM

Separated at birth?

Olympic Fan
10-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Weather forecast for West Point Saturday: high of 64 degrees, cloudy and just a 10 percent chance of rain:

http://www.weather.com/weather/5day/l/USNY1567:1:US

Good timing to go on the road -- it looks like after a beautiful week in North Carolina, there is a good chance we could get more rain here Saturday.

Avvocato
10-08-2015, 04:39 PM
With Deaver, that depends upon the playcalling really. Deaver has been targeted only 8 times this year so far through 5 games - only 2 times last game (both completions). They seem to insist upon him being more of a blocker than a receiver and it makes very little sense.

I'm wondering if there is a lack of confidence in the offensive line. I'm wondering if that is causing Sirk to abandon plays early or impacting play calling (including having Deavers stay in to block), whether that's always trying to run behind Skura or getting rid of the ball quickly on pass plays. I'm not sure if that is the reason for some of our concerns, or in Sirk's case, maybe if in his mind it is. I just don't understand the inability to consistently throw the ball down the field (even just 10-15 yards down the field) and running wide sometimes. No major college quarterback should be averaging around 5 yards per attempt (excluding the first two games; you should be averaging more than 7 yards per attempt), or have 85-90% of his throws be within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage (made up percentage by me). I think we showed a little bit of improvement last week in the first half, but not enough. Which brings me to my second concern ...

I'm also confused why our offense goes into the toilet in the second half. Are we being outcouched that badly in the second half? Are other people making better adjustments? I realize that the NW and BC defenses are highly ranked, and some credit should be given to them. But it is still puzzling. It's putting way too much pressure on the defense in the second halves of these games.

Hopefully we can get on track with more consistent offense, including in the second half, against Army, and then use the bye week to get ready for the second half of the season.

It is amazing to be complaining about our offense and still be 4-1 heading into Army. It's another sign of the maturation of this program.

DU82
10-08-2015, 07:30 PM
Weather forecast for West Point Saturday: high of 64 degrees, cloudy and just a 10 percent chance of rain:

http://www.weather.com/weather/5day/l/USNY1567:1:US

Good timing to go on the road -- it looks like after a beautiful week in North Carolina, there is a good chance we could get more rain here Saturday.

Yep, good time for a road trip! When I first looked at the forecast after the BC game, it showed a 60% chance of rain. Glad it's much less now. Still packing the Duke rain jacket, though!

OldPhiKap
10-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Per Army Twitter, leading rusher Ahmad Bradshaw (ankle) upgraded to probable; Michie Stadium sold out.

Army will be there to fight. Go Devils!

DU82
10-10-2015, 06:24 AM
Game day! Bumping to the top.

Ready to make tHe drive up to West Point for another Blue Devil victory!

mattman91
10-10-2015, 08:29 AM
Per Army Twitter, leading rusher Ahmad Bradshaw (ankle) upgraded to probable; Michie Stadium sold out.

Army will be there to fight. Go Devils!

Pretty sad that this will be the biggest crowd we have played in front of so far this season.

sagegrouse
10-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Pretty sad that this will be the biggest crowd we have played in front of so far this season.

Pretty much by definition. Michie Stadium has a capacity of 38,000. Duke has played only at home and at Tulane. Yulman Stadium at Tulane has a capacity of 30,000 and Wallace Wade has a current capacity of 33,941, although it will be 42,000+ after renovations are completed.

tux
10-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Pretty much by definition. Michie Stadium has a capacity of 38,000. Duke has played only at home and at Tulane. Yulman Stadium at Tulane has a capacity of 30,000 and Wallace Wade has a current capacity of 33,941, although it will be 42,000+ after renovations are completed.

Hey. Duke is one of Army's biggest games! We should be proud of that. 15 years ago, we would have been their (and everyone else's) homecoming game...

-jk
10-10-2015, 11:23 AM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

jtheall
10-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Looks like WR T.J. Ramming is out today due to leg injury suffered in practice this week. We’ll definitely need someone to step it up in his place, as he leads this year’s squad in targets and catches.

Must’ve been a late-week injury as I didn’t see it on the Injury Report -- although I guess he could’ve been on the questionable / probable ghost list that another poster mentioned.

https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Looks like WR T.J. Ramming is out today due to leg injury suffered in practice this week. We’ll definitely need someone to step it up in his place, as he leads this year’s squad in targets and catches.

Must’ve been a late-week injury as I didn’t see it on the Injury Report -- although I guess he could’ve been on the questionable / probable ghost list that another poster mentioned.

https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I think Bob and Wes said it happened in practice Thursday.

jtheall
10-10-2015, 12:48 PM
I think Bob and Wes said it happened in practice Thursday.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. Fortunately it looks like we’ll be okay without him today.

ChrisP
10-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Well looks like D came to play. Hoping we can get the offense going a bit smoother.

ChrisP
10-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Like if, ohhh I don't know...Jela Duncan were to rip off a huge run for a TD :)

grossbus
10-10-2015, 01:13 PM
Wow. Clicking on all cylinders on both sides of the ball.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Wow. Clicking on all cylinders on both sides of the ball.
This is what I've expected, but couldn't tell when it would happen.

Every day is a good day to have a great game!;)

duke09hms
10-10-2015, 01:30 PM
27-0 against overmatched Army. Red zone passing game still a problem though.

ChrisP
10-10-2015, 01:32 PM
I know we're killing them and likely to win but...Sirk was way off on several of his passes down near the goal line. Really was expecting to see him a little calmer this game as Army's pass rush doesn't seem too fierce.

Acymetric
10-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Like if, ohhh I don't know...Jela Duncan were to rip off a huge run for a TD :)

Glad a defender didn't rip his helmet off en route this time.

riverside6
10-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Halftime stats for Duke/Army

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-army-football-live-stats-10102015

du_bb1
10-10-2015, 01:40 PM
just keep improving-

brlftz
10-10-2015, 01:55 PM
I wonder if Braxton Deaver is wondering why he bothered to come back. What the heck is going on? I expected him to be a big factor on offense.

ChrisP
10-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Guys going down to injury on defense. Not good!!!

Acymetric
10-10-2015, 02:04 PM
I wonder if Braxton Deaver is wondering why he bothered to come back. What the heck is going on? I expected him to be a big factor on offense.

I mean, I think we have to consider at this point that Deaver isn't the same player he once was.

DU82
10-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Guys going down to injury on defense. Not good!!!

We couldn't see from the stands who got hurt. Any word on them?

duke09hms
10-10-2015, 02:20 PM
Kelby Brown with MCL sprain out for game. Singleton questionable to return. Carlos Wray also went out, return not mentioned. Hate playing these option teams.

Red zone offense settles for short FG again. Dammit guys

Bluedog
10-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Commentators just dissed Duke during the Ohio State game. Willoughby (former Duke kicker) kicked a kickoff out of bounds, commentator then said: "That may work at Duke, but this is Ohio State." Not cool...

duke09hms
10-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Pattern of our offense shutting down in he 2nd half is continuing ...
And this is against a bad defense. We're gonna need that bye week.

Sixthman
10-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Commentators just dissed Duke during the Ohio State game. Willoughby (former Duke kicker) kicked a kickoff out of bounds, commentator then said: "That may work at Duke, but this is Ohio State." Not cool...

Don't worry. Commentators just dissed Ohio state during duke game. Jeremy cash left Ohio State to come to Duke because he wanted to he in an atmosphere that valued academics. We might want to discount that because these same half wits explained that cut was like K because duke had no basketball success before K arrived.

duke09hms
10-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Parker Boehme short yard package makes a return.
Nice to see Duncan hammering in TDs again!
Set up by a long completion to Barnes, nice!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2015, 02:45 PM
We couldn't see from the stands who got hurt. Any word on them?

Kyler sprained knee (MCL). Deondre hyper extended knee. Carlos got off the field on his own.

Sixthman
10-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Apparently offensive holding calls have been suspended for the game.

wilson
10-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Apparently offensive holding calls have been suspended for the game.No kidding! Although it was pretty cool to see Marquies Price, blatantly held, make a one-handed tackle behind the line of scrimmage a couple of minutes ago.

wilson
10-10-2015, 03:08 PM
All in all, a dominant performance, and very satisfying. Sirk still hasn't been quite as consistent or efficient as I'd like, but he has connected on several of his best throws of the season in my opinion.
Boehme has had some really crisp passes in mop-up duty, not to mention some very strong work in the running QB packages.

Henderson
10-10-2015, 03:19 PM

"That's how you're gonna beat 'em, Butch. They keep underestimating you."