PDA

View Full Version : SAT Cup

53n206
10-05-2015, 08:40 PM
RE: Northwestern remaining undefeated, from ESPN; "Their SAT Cup victories over Stanford and Duke were once discounted, but neither of those teams has lost before or since -".

Indoor66
10-06-2015, 08:28 AM
RE: Northwestern remaining undefeated, from ESPN; "Their SAT Cup victories over Stanford and Duke were once discounted, but neither of those teams has lost before or since -".

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is the SAT Cup? (What is the full name?)

wilson
10-06-2015, 08:35 AM
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is the SAT Cup? (What is the full name?)The SAT is the test most commonly administered to high school students seeking admission to post-secondary educational institutions. SAT originally stood for Scholastic Aptitude Test at its 1926 introduction, but it has gone through several iterations in the years since. In 1990, a commission set up by the College Board (administrators of the test) recommended that its name be changed to Scholastic Assessment Test, but that name change lasted only 7 years, as in 1997, the College Board acknowledged that the examination was meant as a test of reasoning, rather than a true assessment of any essential knowledge. Since that admission, the moniker "SAT" has simply stood alone as a pseudo-acronym, standing for nothing (http://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/02/us/insisting-it-s-nothing-creator-says-sat-not-sat.html) by the College Board's own admission, and maintaining its original name due to brand recognition, rather than any shorthand expression of the examination's core intent.

Indoor66
10-06-2015, 09:27 AM
The SAT is the test most commonly administered to high school students seeking admission to post-secondary educational institutions. SAT originally stood for Scholastic Aptitude Test at its 1926 introduction, but it has gone through several iterations in the years since. In 1990, a commission set up by the College Board (administrators of the test) recommended that its name be changed to Scholastic Assessment Test, but that name change lasted only 7 years, as in 1997, the College Board acknowledged that the examination was meant as a test of reasoning, rather than a true assessment of any essential knowledge. Since that admission, the moniker "SAT" has simply stood alone as a pseudo-acronym, standing for nothing (http://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/02/us/insisting-it-s-nothing-creator-says-sat-not-sat.html) by the College Board's own admission, and maintaining its original name due to brand recognition, rather than any shorthand expression of the examination's core intent.

I know/knew SAT but had never heard of "SAT Cup." I had (and have) no context for that term.

sagegrouse
10-06-2015, 09:35 AM
I know/knew SAT but had never heard of "SAT Cup." I had (and have) no context for that term.

It's a sportswriter having some fun with academically outstanding universities playing each other on the football field. US News rankings for Stanford, Duke and Northwestern are #4, #8, and #12 -- the highest rated universities in the Big Five athletic conferences.

wilson
10-06-2015, 09:44 AM
I know/knew SAT but had never heard of "SAT Cup." I had (and have) no context for that term.My apologies for a self-indulgent bit of sarcasm. I should have provided greater context for the writer's usage of the term.

Dev11
10-06-2015, 10:37 AM
The Dorkxie Classic. Feel free to add Vanderbilt.