PDA

View Full Version : Rain/Floods

Pghdukie
10-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Living in Pittsburgh, I feel for the citizens that are being drenched with rain. Can anyone confirm reports I've heard about areas in the Carolinas getting hit with 24" of rain ? And my other question is how are the Hi-School programs getting along ? Thanks and Good Luck to the affected.

Kdogg
10-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Yes, I can confirm that my area of coastal South Carolina got two feet of rain. Over a 24 hour period we got 4 months worth of rain. Friday was rough. There was a slight break Saturday but the deluge returned Sunday. The thing is we were the lucky ones. The main problem here were road closures. A few homes and businesses are damaged but it's not on the magnitude of Columbia and Charleston. Charleston will recover quickly but it's going to take Columbia a long time. On the coast, we've dealt with natural disasters abet to a lesser degree. The rest of the state has never seen anything like this in my life time.

Schools were closed here today. Opening back tomorrow.

elvis14
10-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Yes, I can confirm that my area of coastal South Carolina got two feet of rain. Over a 24 hour period we got 4 months worth of rain. Friday was rough. There was a slight break Saturday but the deluge returned Sunday. The thing is we were the lucky ones. The main problem here were road closures. A few homes and businesses are damaged but it's not on the magnitude of Columbia and Charleston. Charleston will recover quickly but it's going to take Columbia a long time. On the coast, we've dealt with natural disasters abet to a lesser degree. The rest of the state has never seen anything like this in my life time.

Schools were closed here today. Opening back tomorrow.

Kdogg, what have have you heard about Myrtle Beach? My wife and daughter are supposed to drive from Raleigh down to Myrtle Beach for a soccer tournament this weekend. A few of the games are at Market Commons which has turf and grass fields. Their Saturday afternoon game is at a YMCA which I suspect will be grass. Just wondering what they are going to be looking at when they get there (if the tournament doesn't get cancelled).

My parents live in Greenwood, SC and they lost power this weekend. My cousin in Florence, SC has posted pictures of people using canoes and kayaks on his street.

DUKIECB
10-06-2015, 08:26 AM
I also have cousins that live about 45 minutes south of Florence on I-95. They got 18 inches over the weekend. Every road into or out of the county is either damaged, washed out or impassable due to standing water. As of last night they still did not have electricity and the availability of water is going to become a major issue.

The shear amount of infrastructure damage is overwhelming. It will most certainly take months if not years to fully recover and repair the damage.

Kdogg
10-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Kdogg, what have have you heard about Myrtle Beach? My wife and daughter are supposed to drive from Raleigh down to Myrtle Beach for a soccer tournament this weekend. A few of the games are at Market Commons which has turf and grass fields. Their Saturday afternoon game is at a YMCA which I suspect will be grass. Just wondering what they are going to be looking at when they get there (if the tournament doesn't get cancelled).

My parents live in Greenwood, SC and they lost power this weekend. My cousin in Florence, SC has posted pictures of people using canoes and kayaks on his street.

That's my neck of the woods and life if getting back to normal pretty quickly. There's a lot of cleanup but there is no whole scale damage to the area. All the major roads are open, we never lost power and have no rivers to worry about. Myrtle Beach is better off than North Myrtle Beach with got real flooding. If your family is coming from Raleigh I'd tell them to take I-40 to Wilmington and then Highway 17. I've heard parts of 95 are sit close. Most of the standing water will be gone by the weekend but the ground is soaked. Those soccer fields are going to be muddy. The ground was already saturated before the storm. It's going to take time and sunshine to get the ground normal.