PDA

View Full Version : Help from the forum: basketball season preview podcast

Dev11
10-05-2015, 03:32 PM
In the next couple weeks, the podcast crew is going to do a big preview episode for basketball season. Anybody have fun ideas for things we could do to mark the occasion? We're here to serve you, the obsessive Duke fan.

devildeac
10-05-2015, 03:39 PM
In the next couple weeks, the podcast crew is going to do a big preview episode for basketball season. Anybody have fun ideas for things we could do to mark the occasion? We're here to serve you, the obsessive Duke fan.

Interview Capel (Jeff, not Jason:rolleyes:). I suggest him thinking you'll never get K on the podcast (reality? challenge?;))
Get MP3 to give you a few quotes.
Barry Jacobs/Jim Sumner/Al Featherston-in no particular order of favorites.

wilson
10-05-2015, 03:47 PM
I'd like to hear not just a rundown of general preseason expectations for this season's team, but also some discussion of the general accuracy of previous years' prognostications: Have pundits generally been correct about recent Duke teams? If not, have they been incorrect in any consistent ways? And how can we apply those lessons in assessing how much to trust this year's predictions?

Bob Green
10-05-2015, 04:17 PM

I second this recommendation. It would be good to hear from guys who have covered the team for years and have them share their expectations for the coming season compared to past seasons/teams.

superdave
10-05-2015, 04:18 PM
If you manage to get a member of the staff -

The staff re-thought everything after the first round exit vs. Mercer. Specifically, Coach K thought that learning Duke's defensive system might be too much for freshmen who would start right away. Instead, they learned a simpler system and were allowed to grow throughout the season.

What lessons from that model worked well? What did not work? What are some lessons from last season that you anticipate to help this season?

91devil
10-05-2015, 04:25 PM
How about a couple of Fan Board Managers from other schools?

I'd enjoy hearing the "Insider" perspective (biased or otherwise) from the UNC, NC State, UVA, ND, Louisville boards.

How about Seth Davis? Jason Williams? Jay Bilas? National perspective with perhaps a hint of bias.

flyingdutchdevil
10-05-2015, 04:46 PM
1) Worst case, best case, probable case for this team.

2) Discussions about highest ppg candidate, who's the glue guy, MVP, etc. Or you can do what I think Capel does: MVP, MIP, MOP (I think it was Okafor, Cook, and Tyus for those three titles, respectively)

3) New guy discussions. "Player X reminds me of Y" or some interesting tidbits about the new guys

4) Grayson Allen. Please bring lots of lots of discussion about Grayson Allen.

NSDukeFan
10-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Have the whole podcast as a minutes discussion? (Ducking and running) (;

luburch
10-06-2015, 11:00 AM
I think you should live broadcast Grayson jumping over a stack of cinder blocks to see how many he can actually clear.

devildeac
10-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Interview Capel (Jeff, not Jason:rolleyes:). I suggest him thinking you'll never get K on the podcast (reality? challenge?;))
Get MP3 to give you a few quotes.

Hmmm, current podcast w/Al Featherston? From my fingertips to Dev11's ears;) .

BD80
10-06-2015, 01:21 PM
In the next couple weeks, the podcast crew is going to do a big preview episode for basketball season. Anybody have fun ideas for things we could do to mark the occasion? ...

It seems many would want you to delay all basketball podcasts until football season is over.

You could have Kedsy on to explain the various metrics to evaluate player efficacy.

Dev11
10-06-2015, 01:25 PM
It seems many would want you to delay all basketball podcasts until football season is over.

You could have Kedsy on to explain the various metrics to evaluate player efficacy.

Luckily, the bye week coincides with CTC, so we have an excuse. It's going to be tough come November.

Good suggestions by all. Keep them coming.

JasonEvans
10-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Worth noting that the Duke SID has refused repeated requests for current players/coaches. I even asked if we could get a student manager or a member of the SID office... they just won't do anything. So, while I appreciate the ideas about interviewing Grayson or Capel or anyone else currently officially connected to Duke hoops, it appears Duke's Sports Information Department wants nothing to do with us :(

-Jason "I've been asking about football players/coaches too and the SID won't even write back to me about that... I kinda hate them right now" Evans

P.S. - It took exactly one short email to book Chris Collins and the NWestern SID got back to me on it in less than 2 hours with a "yes"

Troublemaker
10-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Anybody have fun ideas for things we could do to mark the occasion?

Player Superlatives? Mix of basketball-related and yearbook-esque ones.

e.g.

Key to the Season
Most Loved By The Ladies
Biggest Surprise
Playing Time Most Griped About
Glue Guy
Most Likely to Become President

(Class Clown and Best Dressed seem too easy.)

Billy Dat
10-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Player Superlatives? Mix of basketball-related and yearbook-esque ones.

e.g.

Key to the Season
Most Loved By The Ladies
Biggest Surprise
Playing Time Most Griped About
Glue Guy
Most Likely to Become President

(Class Clown and Best Dressed seem too easy.)

I had a similar idea, but this one is along the same lines. Cook up a survey monkey with a collection of awards or superlatives and have the DBR Community vote and then each of you can trade off discussing the DBR board results and whether or not you agree. It could be superlatives, preseason awards that align with the ones they give out at the banquet, whatever.

fidel
10-06-2015, 03:54 PM
I'd like to hear from Chuck Okafor. Lets keep 'one for the thumb' rolling...

southgater
10-06-2015, 04:54 PM
I'd be very interested in hearing more about how practices work - what does the team do to prepare, both in preseason and during the season - basically, what happens behind the scenes of the games. This could be done with a well-informed insider or sports writer or a former player, coach, manager, etc.
Thanks

superdave
10-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Who are the former players who have worked out with the current team? I've seen Dahntay, JJ, Nolan on social media. Maybe one of those guys would come on and give some insight into the current roster.

-jk
10-06-2015, 05:50 PM
Who are the former players who have worked out with the current team? I've seen Dahntay, JJ, Nolan on social media. Maybe one of those guys would come on and give some insight into the current roster.

I like this one! Is Nick Horvath around to give perspective on summer leagues?

-jk