PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 9-29-15

jimsumner
09-29-2015, 03:28 PM
Best news of day. Everybody practiced this morning. Everybody. Casey Blaser took every snap at RT.

Coming the week after playing the masters of the known cut-block universe, the sign of relief is palpable. Cut did say Duke has a lot of bumps and bruises, but that is nothing unexpected.

But Duke will be without Johnell Barnes for the first half of the BC game, part of his punishment for a targeting personal foul.

Cutcliffe is a member of the rules committee and thinks this rule needs to be re-evaluated. He says the word "targeting" suggests intent and there clearly was no intent from Barnes. He favors severe penalties when intent is clear but thinks more flexibility is called for.

Duke likely will start McCaffrey, Rahming and Taylor at WR but Barnes' absence creates an opportunity for others on the depth chart to make a statement. Cutcliffe specifically mentioned Anthony Nash as having a good practice this A.M, then added Ryan Smith and Quay Chambers.

Cutliffe also mentioned that Barnes should be well-rested and motivated for the second half.

Deaver with two receptions after four games? Duke running the ball more than they did two years ago when he had a big season, he's sharing time with two other tight ends, blocking well. But "there's another level for all three of those guys." Duke would like to play more two tight-end sets but needs more consistency to justify that approach.

Duke got stand-out performances on D last week from DT A.J. Wolf and DE Deion Williams, both of whom started at Duke at other positions.

Wolf started at DE. Cut says his weight gains--he's up to 280--have been crucial to his development. But there's more to it. "His motor is wide open in practice. Young people see that in practice and you build on that."

Duke moved Williams from LB to DE this spring. He's a senior. Usually when a player changes position that late in a career, not much comes of it.

But Williams made the move work. Cutcliffe says Williams is "playing the best football he's played. He's maturing, he's strong, this is a more natural position for him, playing closer to the ball, which takes advantage of his aggressiveness. He's happy and comfortable."

Fellow defensive end Britton Grier says of Williams "He actually beat me out for the starting spot [last week]. I told him before the game that I love the way you compete against the scout-team offense, now I want to see you take it out on another team. He really embraced the change. He wasn't down about it or anything."

Cut also discussed safety Jeremy Cash and corner Breon Borders at some length.

On Cash. "He makes everyday a masterpiece when it comes to game preparation. He has that ability to make every day as special as it can be."

Borders? "He has fun playing the game, likes the challenges and has the skills. He has a pure love of competition."

The botched PATs last week? The first was a slightly off-target snap by Hennessy, caused by a slippery football. Duke is very precise on this. Cut says it should take 1.25 seconds and he can tell right away if it's 1.29. Monday couldn't adjust the hold. The second time? "It got in his head."

Other than that, special teams were superb. Cut says the special teams were "embarrassed" after the Northwestern game. "You don't fix something in a week. You've got to call on who you are." The word "focus" was used. Lesson learned we would hope.

I talked to DeVon Edwards about his TD kick-off return.

"It happens very fast. Once you pick a certain gap, you have to run with what you see. They [the coaches] are very big on making more than one cut, go with your gut and get what you can get. When you see open grass, you just get as much as you can get. When everybody gets up and cheers for you, it's motivation, it makes you run faster."

I confirmed that Nico Pierre will remain at running back for the season. Next year? TBD. But Duke thinks he could be really good at RB. If this works, Duke could redshirt either or both of the incoming RBs.

On to Boston College. The word for the Eagles seems to be "physical." Great defense so far, meh offense. Cut says of their D "big, well-oiled machine. They do a lot of things."

Their offense? "Big, physical, a lot of formations."

RG Tanner Stone says of BC "They have a wide variety of looks they can give, lots of movement. They're very physical. We need to be more physical than them, have a balance between running and throwing the ball."

BC's defense has allowed two touchdowns this year. Two other scores were against special teams and their offense.

Grier on BC's offense. "We kind of know what to expect because we've seen on film that they are going to run the ball a lot. We know they're going to attack us."

Edwards? "You have to be disciplined. They have keys that take you to the ball. Everybody has an assignment, It's very important that we train our eyes well."

Rain this weekend? Good chance. Thomas Sirk says that Duke's experience playing in the rain last week should be helpful. Duke made a point of practicing in the rain last Friday to get some comfort level with wet footballs.

Sirk says the key to his improvement is "third-down execution. I have to be more comfortable and calm in the pocket. I try to critique myself. I did a great job of critiquing myself after the Northwestern game." When asked if the interceptions are more decision-making issues or execution issues, Sirk responded execution.

loran16
09-29-2015, 03:31 PM
Thanks Jim. I think it's noticeable not just that deaver has only two catches , but that he's only been TARGETED 6 times. They're not even trying.

If he's 100 percent, it's bizarre that one of our better receivers, even at tight end, is basically going unused.

Bob Green
09-29-2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks again Jim!

Best news of day. Everybody practiced this morning. Everybody. Casey Blaser took every snap at RT.

This is absolutely fantastic news!

On to Boston College. The word for the Eagles seems to be "physical." Great defense so far, meh offense. Cut says of their D "big, well-oiled machine. They do a lot of things."

Boston College is allowing opponents 118 yards of Total Offense per game, while Duke is averaging 447.8 yards of Total Offense per game. Something has to give. I'll set the over/under for Duke's Total Offense at 283 yards and take the over.

devildeac
09-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Thanks again Jim!

This is absolutely fantastic news!

Boston College is allowing opponents 118 yards of Total Offense per game, while Duke is averaging 447.8 yards of Total Offense per game. Something has to give. I'll set the over/under for Duke's Total Offense at 283 yards and take the over.

118 YPG is an astounding #. The next closest team, M*chigan (for Mike Corey;)), is at 204 YPG. We're not too shabby at #10 yielding 261 YPG, just above Northwestern at 266 YPG.

loran16
09-29-2015, 05:23 PM
118 YPG is an astounding #. The next closest team, M*chigan (for Mike Corey;)), is at 204 YPG. We're not too shabby at #10 yielding 261 YPG, just above Northwestern at 266 YPG.

It's slightly misleading. Their first two opponents were FCS schools, and their second, Howard was an awful FCS school. Howard managed under 50 yards in that game.

BigWayne
09-29-2015, 05:35 PM
It's slightly misleading. Their first two opponents were FCS schools, and their second, Howard was an awful FCS school. Howard managed under 50 yards in that game.

A lot of these numbers and the computerized rankings are still misleading at this point. The next two weekends will mostly fix that as most teams are now done with their non conference schedules.

duke blue brewcrew
09-29-2015, 05:41 PM

WOW! That's a special kind of awful that makes you scratch your head. That's the Bad News Bears of college football for sure.

Jim - Another exceptional summary packed with nuggets from beginning to end. Thank you sir.

I think Duke is in position to build some continued momentum with a big W against BC. GO DUKE!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2015, 06:13 PM
While making plans to deal with the rain which may be heavy at times Saturday, I am excited by the details of this report. This is going to be a humdinger of a game!

jimsumner
09-29-2015, 06:20 PM
There's no question that BC's defensive stats have been somewhat enhanced by some over-matched competition.

Of course, we could say the same thing about Duke and NCCU.

But more to the point, Florida State's offense scored one touchdown against Boston College; a second TD came on a turnover.

Chew on that for awhile. Imagine if Duke's defense held FSU's offense to a single touchdown. We'd be turning somersaults (mine would be metaphorical, of course). But that's pretty darned impressive.

Olympic Fan
09-29-2015, 07:00 PM
There's no question that BC's defensive stats have been somewhat enhanced by some over-matched competition.

Of course, we could say the same thing about Duke and NCCU.

But more to the point, Florida State's offense scored one touchdown against Boston College; a second TD came on a turnover.

Chew on that for awhile. Imagine if Duke's defense held FSU's offense to a single touchdown. We'd be turning somersaults (mine would be metaphorical, of course). But that's pretty darned impressive.

Just to take this a bit farther, let's throw out the Maine and the Howard games. In the two games against Florida State and Northern Illinois, BC allowed 217 total yards and 153 total yards. That's an average of 185.0 total yards in two FBS games. That would STILL rank No. 1 in the nation (by 18 yards a game) over No. 2 Michigan. The season-high 217 total yards that BC allowed FSU would in itself be the No. 4 total defense average in FBS football.

And consider that almost everybody else high up in the national stats (including No. 10 in total defense Duke) has also had some soft touches in there.

As for scoring offense -- the 14 points against both FSU and NIU would rank No. 15 nationally (throwing out the Maine and Howard scores). Of course, that's a bit misleading because FSU scored a defensive touchdown and NIU got a touchdown on a kickoff return. The BC defense has allowed just two TDs all season ... the 7.0 scoring defense average against the two FBS opponents would ... wait for it, still lead the NCAA (although I imagine some of the other top defenses have also given up non offensive touchdowns).

My point is that BC's defense is not an illusion created by their two mismatch games. Take them out of the equation and BC is still one of the nation's top 1-2 defenses. I know it's a small sample sinze, but don't kid yourself -- Duke is facing a formidable defensive team Saturday.

PS I was just thinking -- how would Duke rank if you dismissed the gaudy numbers against FCS opponent NCCU? Okay, against three FBS opponents, Duke has allowed an average of 286.0 total yards a game and 15.3 points. Those numbers would rank the Blue Devil defense 17th in total defense and 18th in scoring defense -- still pretty good numbers (especially since most of the teams ahead of us have also played FCS patsies).

loran16
09-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Just to take this a bit farther, let's throw out the Maine and the Howard games. In the two games against Florida State and Northern Illinois, BC allowed 217 total yards and 153 total yards. That's an average of 185.0 total yards in two FBS games. That would STILL rank No. 1 in the nation (by 18 yards a game) over No. 2 Michigan. The season-high 217 total yards that BC allowed FSU would in itself be the No. 4 total defense average in FBS football.

And consider that almost everybody else high up in the national stats (including No. 10 in total defense Duke) has also had some soft touches in there.

As for scoring offense -- the 14 points against both FSU and NIU would rank No. 15 nationally (throwing out the Maine and Howard scores). Of course, that's a bit misleading because FSU scored a defensive touchdown and NIU got a touchdown on a kickoff return. The BC defense has allowed just two TDs all season ... the 7.0 scoring defense average against the two FBS opponents would ... wait for it, still lead the NCAA (although I imagine some of the other top defenses have also given up non offensive touchdowns).

My point is that BC's defense is not an illusion created by their two mismatch games. Take them out of the equation and BC is still one of the nation's top 1-2 defenses. I know it's a small sample sinze, but don't kid yourself -- Duke is facing a formidable defensive team Saturday.

PS I was just thinking -- how would Duke rank if you dismissed the gaudy numbers against FCS opponent NCCU? Okay, against three FBS opponents, Duke has allowed an average of 286.0 total yards a game and 15.3 points. Those numbers would rank the Blue Devil defense 17th in total defense and 18th in scoring defense -- still pretty good numbers (especially since most of the teams ahead of us have also played FCS patsies).

To answer your question with less conventional statistics, Football Outsiders' S&P+ Rankings rank Boston College 2nd in defense and Duke 7th. Both only take into account FBS I believe. So yeah, both are pretty gaudy.

devildeac
09-30-2015, 07:32 AM
Nice shout out to Cut and our current DL, specifically our DT:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article36977622.html

Sure is nice to have a 3 deep there instead of 2 deep:

"Recruiting is still improving on a year-to-year basis. Each incoming class raises the level of athleticism in the program. The Blue Devils have a true freshman (Brandon Boyce) who is already playing meaningful snaps (81 in total).

Redshirt freshmen Edgar Cerenord and Quaven Ferguson, after taking a year to acclimate to the college game, as most linemen do, are in the defensive tackle rotation as well (72 and 65 snaps, respectively).

Redshirt sophomore Mike Ramsay (61 snaps) is also in the mix. And then the starters, Wray and redshirt junior A.J. Wolf, have developed over the course of their careers and are now playing their best football (157 and 139 snaps, respectively)."

I've heard Laura also makes a pretty good guest on a DBR podcast;) .