PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode 30: Laura Keeley tolerates us again

Dev11
09-28-2015, 12:35 AM
We had Laura on again this week to talk about the football game against Georgia Tech, her new perch in the temporary press box at Wallace Wade Stadium, and the correct pronunciation of "Javin DeLaurier." We also made excuses for not doing an episode last week.

We realized that we screwed up and should have had Chris Collins for Episode 30, but oh well. Laura was great, as usual. We love comments, so let us know what you think.

Links:
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

JasonEvans
09-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Timestamps:

0:14 - Intros
0:50 - Laura Keeley joins us
1:12 - Jason thinks we're seasoned veterans at podcasting; Sam does not
1:59 - We start out with football questions for Laura
20:35 - We shift to basketball questions
21:21 - Laura talks about most surprising name pronunciations
31:50 - Thanks, Laura!
32:05 - Donald starts the football reax
48:25 - Reax to DeLaurier commitment
52:05 - Parting shots
52:15 - Reasons why we were absent last week
53:13 - Donald got a Laken Tomlinson jersey!
54:20 - Duke Band, take us home

Bob Green
09-28-2015, 06:27 PM
I'm enjoying the podcast as I type. The discussion has moved to basketball, I am at the 25 minute mark. A quick comment on the football discussion, I was pleased to hear the question about Jela Duncan and Laura's response. She seems to appreciate how important Duncan can be to the team moving forward. Generally speaking, based upon reading various message boards and emails, it seems to me a lot of folks are under appreciating the impact Duncan can have on the offense. He is a powerful runner with speed who is also a good receiver coming out of the backfield. I'm expecting big results out of Duncan in the coming weeks.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys put in on these podcast!

hsheffield
09-28-2015, 06:46 PM
I've really enjoyed the DBR podcast and look forward to every one. I'm grateful to all of you who've given us your time to put it together.

but.....

I wanted to humbly request more time on Duke basketball and less on football.

I posted here to see if the rest of the community feels similarly. Perhaps they don't and I'm an outlier. I promise not to bring it up again either way.

(btw, Laura Keeley is a treat even if she is talking about football)

Acymetric
09-28-2015, 06:50 PM
I've really enjoyed the DBR podcast and look forward to every one. I'm grateful to all of you who've given us your time to put it together.

but.....

I posted here to see if the rest of the community feels similarly. Perhaps they don't and I'm an outlier. I promise not to bring it up again either way.

Given how far out we are from basketball season I think its a reasonable time to give a little more attention to active sports, especially the way the football team is shaping up after last week.

Bob Green
09-28-2015, 07:00 PM

It is late September! Basketball season is coming, but it is football season now.

-jk
09-28-2015, 07:10 PM
Yeah, let's accept that football can be fun!

-jk

OldPhiKap
09-28-2015, 07:23 PM

but.....

I truly beg to differ. We just had one of the larger victories in recent times; we have a defensive AA player who was voted best defensive player in the entire country for last week; we are in good position for the conference division race; and Duke football rocks.

(And I appreciate the respectful tone you raised your point, I hope I have done the same. Very respectfully but passionately disagree).

(And and, excited that hoops practice starts Friday!)

(And and and -- go to HELL Carolina, you cheating weasel-buggers).

BC is a tough challenge for our offense, would be really nice if we can grow on that side of the ball Saturday.

brevity
09-28-2015, 07:34 PM

You are probably not an outlier, but your request is a little strange. In addition to the above replies, there is very little substance to any discussion of basketball right now. Large groups of people speculating in a low-commitment written thread is easy. Three or four people speculating to fill dead airtime is difficult.

I don't listen to podcasts, but based on the time stamps in these recent podcast threads, they stick to offseason basketball headlines and their immediate impressions of them. Which seems right to me.

hsheffield
09-28-2015, 09:30 PM
It is late September! Basketball season is coming, but it is football season now.

darling bob,

in my tiny little obsessed mind, it is never NOT basketball season.

OldPhiKap
09-28-2015, 09:57 PM
FWIW I downloaded this podcast because of football, not despite it.

As seriously as I can state it.

Merlindevildog91
09-28-2015, 10:19 PM
I'm glad to have a football team that is worth talking about.

Dev11
09-28-2015, 11:08 PM
All it took was too much football to get some feedback? I'm fine with that.

I'm grateful to everybody who listens, and I appreciate you bringing the concern, hsheffield. We try to do the time stamps in a timely manner so that you can see the discussion topics and jump around as you wish. When we started last year, it was right at the end of football season, so we didn't really have time to get into the football games as much, particularly with ACC basketball right around the corner. Our mission has generally been to discuss the topics that get the most attention on the board, and as some others have pointed out, the basketball news can be light this time of year.

We haven't discussed yet how we'll handle a full basketball season preview, but it's coming soon. In the meantime, a lot of posters are engaged in Duke Football, and two of the three of us are former employees of the program, so you'll have to forgive our obsession until hoops returns. We know that most people are here for basketball, so we tried to prop up the offseason with some basketball guests. Still working on the Coach K interview :)

I really enjoy getting to talk about Duke with Jason and Donald, and I'm flattered that people are tuning in.

loran16
09-28-2015, 11:17 PM
Seriously, More football, less bball till at least Countdown please. We have a good football team, let's give it full attention while it's the team playing. We don't ask about football in February; let's give football the same respect in September/October.

DukeDevil
09-28-2015, 11:48 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for all the effort! I always look forward to getting the alert for a new DBR podcast on my phone. I can't imagine it's easy to coordinate 3+ people for these podcasts, plus all the prep time to have intelligent things to say (or at least things to say). Thanks again!

blazindw
09-29-2015, 12:09 AM

I'm grateful to everybody who listens, and I appreciate you bringing the concern, hsheffield. We try to do the time stamps in a timely manner so that you can see the discussion topics and jump around as you wish. When we started last year, it was right at the end of football season, so we didn't really have time to get into the football games as much, particularly with ACC basketball right around the corner. Our mission has generally been to discuss the topics that get the most attention on the board, and as some others have pointed out, the basketball news can be light this time of year.

We haven't discussed yet how we'll handle a full basketball season preview, but it's coming soon. In the meantime, a lot of posters are engaged in Duke Football, and two of the three of us are former employees of the program, so you'll have to forgive our obsession until hoops returns. We know that most people are here for basketball, so we tried to prop up the offseason with some basketball guests. Still working on the Coach K interview :)

I really enjoy getting to talk about Duke with Jason and Donald, and I'm flattered that people are tuning in.

As Sam said, I love me some Duke Football and enjoy discussing the games each week. There's only so much basketball we can talk about in the offseason, but we have discussed the major news items each episode. As we approach Countdown, the basketball part will surely pick up.

Coach K interview will be next week*, so tune in!!

*unless it's the week after that...or the week after that...or the week after that...or the week after that...

OldPhiKap
09-29-2015, 06:44 AM
As Sam said, I love me some Duke Football and enjoy discussing the games each week. There's only so much basketball we can talk about in the offseason, but we have discussed the major news items each episode. As we approach Countdown, the basketball part will surely pick up.

Coach K interview will be next week*, so tune in!!

*unless it's the week after that...or the week after that...or the week after that...or the week after that...

Right now, I'd prefer Coach Cut, Scotty, Coach Knowles or Coach Zac Roper.

It's football season. Embrace the pigskin.

I don't think anyone can accuse me of not being an enthusiastic basketball fan. But until we get to about Thanksgiving, football is top of radar and interest for me.

MarkD83
09-29-2015, 06:59 AM
I agree that we should embrace the football.

I must admit that against GT I had those same nervous feelings that I get during every basketball game when Duke is trying to close out a win. That is a good feeling to have and now I have it from August to April, rather than November to April. (A double dose in the months of November, December and hopefully January would be great.)

In the other months (since there is never an off-season) basketball recruiting is what occupies my time. This leads me to a question. I would love to be able to get more excited about Duke football recruiting but it is hard to keep track of needs for the football team and talent levels of the recruits. Other than reading the great threads that are here about football recruiting, is there a site that easily shows depth charts (with red-shirts), obvious needs for the football team and then talent levels of recruits. It would be great to have a double dose of recruiting excitement from April to August.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2015, 07:59 AM
One bit of negative feedback, and I don't mean to sound critical. But you need more cowbell.

yancem
09-29-2015, 01:13 PM
I haven't commented on any of the podcast threads in the past but wanted to say how much I enjoy them and am glad that you guys put in the effort.

JasonEvans
09-29-2015, 02:25 PM
... to have intelligent things to say (or at least things to say).

Whoa! Hold on a second. I didn't know that having something intelligent to say was any kind of criteria for the podcasts. I probably would have never signed up for these things if I knew there was any kind of standards!

Ha!

Like Sam and Donald, I thank everyone for the input. I'm glad to hear there is so much interest in football. I will freely admit that when the three of us talk about topics, I'm usually the least enthusiastic about football and am always trying to find the most current hoops stuff to focus upon. It was my planning and execution that led to us getting a basketball coach to be our preview of the Northwestern football game -- a pretty underhanded way of having basketball take precedence over football ;)

That said, as others have indicated, there really isn't enough substantial hoops news to sustain the podcasts right now and the football team is playing some very exciting ball. We don't have any plans to back off of football any time soon an I sure am enjoying marveling at the way Coach Cut has remade the program.

I love that we finally got a little bit of a discussion going surrounding the podcasts. We know this board is our core audience and we want to engage you guys any way we can. If any of you ever have suggestions, please post something and let us know. Trust me, we will take any advice to heart. For example, the cacophony of support for football content has me rethinking my mild reluctance to talk too much about it ;)

-Jason "I'm so flattered at how many folks seem to be enjoying this... we are just some fans having fun" Evans

OldPhiKap
09-29-2015, 02:33 PM
Whoa! Hold on a second. I didn't know that having something intelligent to say was any kind of criteria for the podcasts. I probably would have never signed up for these things if I knew there was any kind of standards!

Ha!

Like Sam and Donald, I thank everyone for the input. I'm glad to hear there is so much interest in football. I will freely admit that when the three of us talk about topics, I'm usually the least enthusiastic about football and am always trying to find the most current hoops stuff to focus upon. It was my planning and execution that led to us getting a basketball coach to be our preview of the Northwestern football game -- a pretty underhanded way of having basketball take precedence over football ;)

That said, as others have indicated, there really isn't enough substantial hoops news to sustain the podcasts right now and the football team is playing some very exciting ball. We don't have any plans to back off of football any time soon an I sure am enjoying marveling at the way Coach Cut has remade the program.

I love that we finally got a little bit of a discussion going surrounding the podcasts. We know this board is our core audience and we want to engage you guys any way we can. If any of you ever have suggestions, please post something and let us know. Trust me, we will take any advice to heart. For example, the cacophony of support for football content has me rethinking my mild reluctance to talk too much about it ;)

-Jason "I'm so flattered at how many folks seem to be enjoying this... we are just some fans having fun" Evans

I will add as feedback -- Laura Keeley was an excellent guest, as was Jim Sumner a few weeks ago. Did not listen to the podcasts last year so I have no frame of reference for others. Chris C obviously cool for a different reason.

weezie
09-29-2015, 04:01 PM
Are you guys able to track how many listeners/followers you have?

JasonEvans
09-30-2015, 08:59 AM
Are you guys able to track how many listeners/followers you have?

I'm not technically savvy enough to really know, but I would say it appears we are getting a couple thousand downloads per podcast at this point.

blazindw
09-30-2015, 07:21 PM
I'm not technically savvy enough to really know, but I would say it appears we are getting a couple thousand downloads per podcast at this point.

At one point, we were the #6 Sports podcast on iTunes...all of iTunes. That was obviously during the tourney back in March, but I believe at that point, we were getting well over 5000 downloads/8000 listens...which is ridiculous that so many people hear our voices! :eek:

jv001
10-01-2015, 12:07 AM
I haven't commented on any of the podcast threads in the past but wanted to say how much I enjoy them and am glad that you guys put in the effort.

I'm just glad that I don't have to give the old response to Cheater fans, " we're a basketball school". Duke Football is really getting it done. Great letter. GODUKE!!!!!!!!!!

JasonEvans
10-01-2015, 01:32 PM
I believe at that point, we were getting well over 5000 downloads/8000 listens...which is ridiculous that so many people hear our voices!

I listen 3 or 4 times to each episode, so I am doing my part ;)

Also occurs to me that folks may want to put a face with the voice. Here are pictures of me, Donald, and Sam taken from Linkedin. Without looking it up on line, can you guess who is who?

https://media.licdn.com/media/p/5/005/08f/290/111b19f.jpg https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shrinknp_400_400/p/2/000/07d/177/3b6f3dc.jpg https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shrinknp_400_400/p/8/005/08c/1ff/337adb4.jpg

-Jason "I have no idea why they are different sizes" Evans

luburch
10-01-2015, 01:34 PM

Also occurs to me that folks may want to put a face with the voice. Here are pictures of me, Donald, and Sam taken from Linkedin. Without looking it up on line, can you guess who is who?

https://media.licdn.com/media/p/5/005/08f/290/111b19f.jpg https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shrinknp_400_400/p/2/000/07d/177/3b6f3dc.jpg https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shrinknp_400_400/p/8/005/08c/1ff/337adb4.jpg

-Jason "guesses?" Evans

You're on the far right, Donald is the far left, Sam in the middle. Maybe.

Dev11
10-01-2015, 01:35 PM
I'm going to sue you right out of your home for sharing my photos, Evans.

devildeac
10-01-2015, 02:09 PM
I listen 3 or 4 times to each episode, so I am doing my part

I've met Sam and BlazinDW so I'll disqualify myself, but say that Sam definitely has that radio face, err, personality. It is an amazing coincidence that one of the photos is larger than the others (cough, cough).;)

flyingdutchdevil
10-01-2015, 02:51 PM

Did you intentionally choose pictures with neckties? Or are those your Hollywood headshots? ;)

Dev11
10-01-2015, 02:51 PM
I've met Sam and BlazinDW so I'll disqualify myself, but say that Sam definitely has that radio face, err, personality. It is an amazing coincidence that one of the photos is larger than the others (cough, cough).;)

I resemble that remark.

blazindw
10-01-2015, 10:51 PM
Fun fact: Jason used a picture of me from 10 years ago.
Second fun fact: I look the exact same.

Dev11
10-02-2015, 02:20 AM
Does it help if I tell you that the photos are in ascending age order?

Also, I don't get why this is a big deal. My avatar has always been a photo of me and two of my Duke classmates.

weezie
10-02-2015, 07:10 PM
DeeDub is a good looking guy!. Just like all Detroiters.