PDA

View Full Version : Viewing Options for Boston College Game

awhom111
09-27-2015, 12:30 AM
Time to start thinking about the next game. The list of stations is already out, but I would always double check those local listings:
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-football-on-rsn-boston-college-at-duke-10-03-2015

The blackout map will probably be available on Thursday. This is extra important for RSN games because within the blackout zone, there are no legal options unless you have access to one of the stations listed. The zone will probably cover most of the ACC footprint.

In the blackout zone:
-Watch on television on one of the listed stations
-Watch online if you have one of the listed stations and they have an online option like FOX Sports GO

Outside the blackout zone:
-Watch on television on one of the listed stations
-Watch on television if you have ESPN College Extra and your provider is carrying that game
-Watch online if you have one of the listed stations and they have an online option like FOX Sports GO
-Watch online via WatchESPN

BigWayne
09-27-2015, 04:35 AM
I would be really surprised if the game is on the ESPN college extra package. It's on a lot of the RSN channels.

Jarhead
09-29-2015, 10:55 AM
I would be really surprised if the game is on the ESPN college extra package. It's on a lot of the RSN channels.
Okay, but where? I can't find a channel anywhere in central NC that is carrying it. I guess I am doomed to watching it on ESPN3, not a very good option.

duke blue brewcrew
09-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Okay, but where? I can't find a channel anywhere in central NC that is carrying it. I guess I am doomed to watching it on ESPN3, not a very good option.

I mentioned this a time or two before in various threads. If you have Apple TV, or if your TV is Wi-Fi enabled, you can access ESPN3 that way and have a much more enjoyable viewing experience than having to watch it on your laptop or tablet.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Do you have access to Fox Sports South? That network is part of many cable and dish packages.

ramdevil
09-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Best viewing option - come to Wallace Wade - even if the tropical storm comes. The DUMB is awesome this year, and the games are exciting to watch. Come cheer on our team! Let's fill up the stands with Duke Blue.

-ramdevil

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2015, 11:49 AM
Best viewing option - come to Wallace Wade - even if the tropical storm comes. The DUMB is awesome this year, and the games are exciting to watch. Come cheer on our team! Let's fill up the stands with Duke Blue.

-ramdevil

Amen!

BigWayne
09-29-2015, 01:23 PM

It's on Fox Sports South and Fox Sports Carolinas. If you have cable or satellite TV in central NC, you should get one or both of these channels.

gep
09-30-2015, 01:37 AM

ESPN3 and AppleTV is how I've been doing it for the last few years (football AND basketball). HD too... just great.:cool: I've got the AppleTV v2 and no problems. I read that the AppleTV v3 (one generation older then the latest and greatest) is now $69.

Jim3k
10-01-2015, 02:53 AM
This is no help to me or my California colleagues, but if any of you get NESN, the BC-Duke game is live (http://nesn.com/tv-schedule/2015/10/3/), beginning at 3:30 EDT. So if you are in the NESN footprint, you have a shot.

Now, if I could only find a northern California station that carries RSN, I'd be happy.

johnb
10-01-2015, 08:09 AM
ESPN3 and AppleTV is how I've been doing it for the last few years (football AND basketball). HD too... just great.:cool: I've got the AppleTV v2 and no problems. I read that the AppleTV v3 (one generation older then the latest and greatest) is now $69.

Hijack into the future:

Would apple tv be enough to see the Duke basketball games?

nocilla
10-01-2015, 08:14 AM
Hijack into the future:

Would apple tv be enough to see the Duke basketball games?

AFAIK, it will as long as you already have access to ESPN3 or WatchESPN. The apple tv itself does not provide access to it, just streams it to your tv if you have it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, because if I am, the apple tv becomes much more appealing.

wilson
10-01-2015, 08:15 AM
Has the ESPN3 blackout map been released yet?
And have I mentioned yet how much I utterly loathe the ACC Network and its labyrinthine broadcast policies?

Indoor66
10-01-2015, 09:13 AM
I posted this on another thread but in more properly belongs here:

My best read, at this point, is that SunSports will carry the game in South Florida. No certainty, just an educated guess. I hope the weather cooperates and the storm swings East out of the Bahamas.

tbyers11
10-01-2015, 10:07 AM

My best read, at this point, is that SunSports will carry the game in South Florida. No certainty, just an educated guess. I hope the weather cooperates and the storm swings East out of the Bahamas.

Try this link
http://www.foxsports.com/tv-listings
Input your zip code and pick your cable provider and it should show up.

For me in Orlando with BrightHouse, it says the the game will be on Fox Sports Florida

gep
10-01-2015, 11:43 AM
AFAIK, it will as long as you already have access to ESPN3 or WatchESPN. The apple tv itself does not provide access to it, just streams it to your tv if you have it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, because if I am, the apple tv becomes much more appealing.

Yes... Sorry about my note on ESPN3. You do get it through the WatchESPN app on the Apple TV. But to do so, you"ll need a cable or DSL package that includes the ESPN networks. In fact, since I only have the basic package, I don"t get to see ESPNU, ESPN News, and other ESPN channels on my apple tv that I don"t get with my cable subscription. Hope this helps...

BigWayne
10-01-2015, 11:56 AM

It will be on SunSports Plus. http://www.foxsports.com/tv-listings

This is no help to me or my California colleagues, but if any of you get NESN, the BC-Duke game is live (http://nesn.com/tv-schedule/2015/10/3/), beginning at 3:30 EDT. So if you are in the NESN footprint, you have a shot.

Now, if I could only find a northern California station that carries RSN, I'd be happy.

I am in the SF bay area. To get the RSNs that carry the game out here, you need to have DirecTV. Regular cable won't have them. Last year, even though it would show as being on NESN, it would be blacked out. It would show up on the MSG+ channel out of NY though.

duke79
10-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Looks like the game is being carried live on the DISH satellite network on the NESN channel (I believe channel 437).

TruBlu
10-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Try this link
http://www.foxsports.com/tv-listings
Input your zip code and pick your cable provider and it should show up.

For me in Orlando with BrightHouse, it says the the game will be on Fox Sports Florida

That link works great! Thanks for sharing.

Jim3k
10-01-2015, 07:27 PM
It will be on SunSports Plus. http://www.foxsports.com/tv-listings

I am in the SF bay area. To get the RSNs that carry the game out here, you need to have DirecTV. Regular cable won't have them. Last year, even though it would show as being on NESN, it would be blacked out. It would show up on the MSG+ channel out of NY though.

Good work, BW. But...Sun Sports ain't carried by my provider. You are certainly right about MSG+. Again, not on my provider. And it doesn't carry ESPN3, either.

I knew NESN was subject to blackouts in places. Hence, my reservation about "having a shot." Sure shot? No. Didn't mean to imply that.

awhom111
10-01-2015, 09:47 PM

DirecTV channel 795. It is basically a remap of 646, which means they don't actually use additional bandwidth, they just put a pointer to it in the guide in a place where people might think to look for college games. You need the same package for both ESPN College Extra and the Sports Pack RSNs anyway.

Has the ESPN3 blackout map been released yet?
And have I mentioned yet how much I utterly loathe the ACC Network and its labyrinthine broadcast policies?

Ask and ye shall receive:
http://assets.espn.go.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/2668530.jpg

Back in the day, people outside the ACC footprint just didn't get to watch the game at all, so this is a clear improvement over that. The current situation is a fair enough compromise for pay TV subscribers with a few bones thrown to the cord cutter types.

See first post for options in your area of the map.

The Florida split is a little confusing depending on provider and the northern/southern created border within the state. That is why I always suggest double-checking local listings for this broadcast package.

Good work, BW. But...Sun Sports ain't carried by my provider. You are certainly right about MSG+. Again, not on my provider. And it doesn't carry ESPN3, either.

I knew NESN was subject to blackouts in places. Hence, my reservation about "having a shot." Sure shot? No. Didn't mean to imply that.

What provider do you have Jim? I thought that pretty much all of the main providers here at least have ESPN3 access.

Jim3k
10-02-2015, 02:31 AM
I have WAVE, formerly Astound. It's actually very good, both with respect to channel lineup and with respect to fiber-optic. But, there are some places it just will not go. I believe it is due to network costs.

It is a Seattle-based company, and therefore does not really look to the Atlantic coast for programming.j it is a Seattle-based company, and therefore does not really look to the Atlantic coast for programming.

BigWayne
10-02-2015, 03:27 AM
DirecTV channel 795. It is basically a remap of 646, which means they don't actually use additional bandwidth, they just put a pointer to it in the guide in a place where people might think to look for college games. You need the same package for both ESPN College Extra and the Sports Pack RSNs anyway.

What provider do you have Jim? I thought that pretty much all of the main providers here at least have ESPN3 access.
Well I am surprised but I guess I shouldn't be if they can do it like you said.

On Jim's case, the 2 regional networks in our area just don't carry the ACC package. Since he is on a standard cable system, they don't really support out of market regional channels. It's the same for my neighbors that are on Comcast cable.

awhom111
10-02-2015, 09:35 PM
I have WAVE, formerly Astound. It's actually very good, both with respect to channel lineup and with respect to fiber-optic. But, there are some places it just will not go. I believe it is due to network costs.

It is a Seattle-based company, and therefore does not really look to the Atlantic coast for programming.j it is a Seattle-based company, and therefore does not really look to the Atlantic coast for programming.

Jim,

I looked into it. You just happen to have a very rare bad situation. WAVE/Astound has WatchESPN access (so you can watch the main ESPN channels online), but no ESPN3 access (their overflow online only content) for whatever reason. This is one of those rare times that you are just completely out of legal luck.

brevity
10-02-2015, 11:17 PM
AT&T U-Verse has the BC-Duke game on ESPN College Extra (channel 621), FOX Sports South (724/1724), FOX Sports Southwest (754/1754), FOX Sports News Prime Ticket (774/1774), and FOX Sports San Diego (776/1776).

And it looks like next week's Army-Duke game is on CBS Sports Network (643/1643).

Farlan
10-03-2015, 10:46 AM
The game is showing up on Channel 399 on Durham TWC (ESPN College Extra 8).

Dukehky
10-03-2015, 10:53 AM
They put the freaking Rice game on FSC

Jarhead
10-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Just down the road from here in Lumberton, NC Time Warner is showing the Duke-BC game on Fox Sports Carolina, but here in Southern Pines, NC they are showing the W Kentucky-Rice game on the same channel. Why?:mad:

Dukehky
10-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Anyone with TWC and the college extra package that wants to help a brother out with some login info, would love it.

Son of Jarhead
10-03-2015, 12:25 PM
Just down the road from here in Lumberton, NC Time Warner is showing the Duke-BC game on Fox Sports Carolina, but here in Southern Pines, NC they are showing the W Kentucky-Rice game on the same channel. Why?:mad:

Because Fox is Stupid. Same problem here in the Triangle. The game is listed on the TWC guide in the Raleigh/Durham area as being on channel 399, one of the ESPN College Extra channels. Unfortunately, you would have to pay $8.99/mo. for TWC's Sports Pass to get those channels.

DukePA
10-03-2015, 12:35 PM
The NC State game is also blacked out on ESPN 3 and not on Fox in eastern NC, but we are streaming it from the ACC Network on an iPad and are using Apple TV to get it on our TV. Hopefully it will work for the Duke game too.

wilson
10-03-2015, 12:47 PM
I can't help but point out again that the ACC's broadcast practices and their communication of game availability are pitifully bad.

Dukehky
10-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Because Fox is Stupid. Same problem here in the Triangle. The game is listed on the TWC guide in the Raleigh/Durham area as being on channel 399, one of the ESPN College Extra channels. Unfortunately, you would have to pay $8.99/mo. for TWC's Sports Pass to get those channels.

Cheaper than driving, parking, and buying a ticket I guess. Any idea if you buy that package if you can stream it on watchespn? Trying to double team it with the Georgia Bama game. (The real reason I'm not at the game, stupid UGA alum gf.)

DukePA
10-03-2015, 02:13 PM
I can't help but point out again that the ACC's broadcast practices and their communication of game availability are pitifully bad.

Agree, but it's better than nothing. Sigh.

CDu
10-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Fox (ch 50) is showing the game in Durham, despite saying it will be Rice.

DukePA
10-03-2015, 03:32 PM
I am pleasantly surprised to discover that Fox Sports Carolinas has the game on! GO DUKE!!!

Potato Head
10-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Time Warner's evil plan to get me to buy their sports package seems to have worked. Well at least I get the NHL network now.