https://twitter.com/trejones03?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

grad_devil
09-24-2015, 10:18 PM
Duke has offered Tre Jones!
https://twitter.com/trejones03/status/647230926204768256

FIFY.

JasonEvans
09-24-2015, 11:07 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe you folks are pronouncing his name incorrectly.

The "J" is silent and there is an "St" sound that comes before the "o" I believe.

Furniture
09-24-2015, 11:39 PM
Tre Stones? I don't get it?:-)

DukeFanSince1990
09-25-2015, 07:29 AM
Tre Stones? I don't get it?:-)

Tyus has the opposite problem that Pedro Cerrano had in major League 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mve0zRiw6w

OldPhiKap
09-25-2015, 09:04 AM
While we are talking about pronunciation -- is it "Tray" or "Tree" or something else? Assuming the first but better to ask and get it right from the beginning.

Rich
09-25-2015, 09:26 AM
While we are talking about pronunciation -- is it "Tray" or "Tree" or something else? Assuming the first but better to ask and get it right from the beginning.

It's pronounced "Tree" but his last name is pronounced "Rollins".

flyingdutchdevil
09-25-2015, 09:38 AM

Thank you for posting this. One of the many movies that defined my childhood.

And agree about Tyus - he is not Pedro in Major League 2

JasonEvans
09-25-2015, 12:37 PM
Tre was offered by Pitino and Minnesota over the summer (http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2015/06/26/gophers-basketball-richard-pitino-offers-tyus-jones-brother-and-point-guard-tre-jones/).

Minnesota is not typically a place know for producing top hoops talent, but Tyus in 2014 and Gary Trent Jr in 2016 are truly excellent prospects. Tre Jones would seem to be another. These are the kind of guys Richard would hope to build his program around... but most recruiting experts expect all three of them to go to Duke.

Here are the Top 50 recruits from Minnesota over the past several years (according to RSCI)

2015 - none
2014 - Tyus Jones (#7, Duke), Reid Travis (#35, Stanford... after Duke cooled on him a bit)
2013 - none
2012 - none
2011 - none
2010 - none

And here are some guys for the next few years...

2016 - Amir Coffee (ESPN #33, Minnesota)
2017 - Gary Trent Jr (ESPN #9, uncommitted, but considered a strong Duke lean)
2018 - Tre Jones ("top 20ish kind of talent", also considered a strong Duke lean)

So, Richard Pitino only very rarely gets a Mickie Dee kind of kid in his back yard... and ever time he does the kid seems to like Duke a lot more than they like Minnesota. Ergo, Richard Pitino must hate Duke ;)

-Jason "Richard Pitino is connected to Rick Pitino who is connected to Louisville and I will forever, ever, ever hate Louisville for 1986... so making Richard Pitino angry makes me happy" Evans

MChambers
09-25-2015, 12:49 PM
Richard Pitino is connected to Rick Pitino who is connected to Louisville and I will forever, ever, ever hate Louisville for 1986... so making Richard Pitino angry makes me happy
I will forever have a warm space in my heart for Rick not covering the guy throwing the inbound pass (Grant Hill) in 1992.

NashvilleDevil
09-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Richard Pitino is connected to Rick Pitino who is connected to Louisville and I will forever, ever, ever hate Louisville for 1986... so making Richard Pitino angry makes me happy

I was 8 and it was probably the only time I cried after a game. It still stings, so yes anything that hurts Louisville even in a 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon way makes me happy.

Bob Green
09-25-2015, 01:20 PM
I was 8 and it was probably the only time I cried after a game.

I was 27, but I still cried.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2015, 01:20 PM
I was 8 and it was probably the only time I cried after a game. It still stings, so yes anything that hurts Louisville even in a 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon way makes me happy.

I was 27, but I still cried.

I was on West Quad. And I was simply stunned.

Bluedog
09-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Tre was offered by Pitino and Minnesota over the summer (http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2015/06/26/gophers-basketball-richard-pitino-offers-tyus-jones-brother-and-point-guard-tre-jones/).

Minnesota is not typically a place know for producing top hoops talent, but Tyus in 2014 and Gary Trent Jr in 2016 are truly excellent prospects. Tre Jones would seem to be another. These are the kind of guys Richard would hope to build his program around... but most recruiting experts expect all three of them to go to Duke.

Here are the Top 50 recruits from Minnesota over the past several years (according to RSCI)

2015 - none
2014 - Tyus Jones (#7, Duke), Reid Travis (#35, Stanford... after Duke cooled on him a bit)
2013 - none
2012 - none
2011 - none
2010 - none

2018 - Tre Jones ("top 20ish kind of talent", also considered a strong Duke lean)

So, Richard Pitino only very rarely gets a Mickie Dee kind of kid in his back yard... and ever time he does the kid seems to like Duke a lot more than they like Minnesota. Ergo, Richard Pitino must hate Duke ;)

-Jason "Richard Pitino is connected to Rick Pitino who is connected to Louisville and I will forever, ever, ever hate Louisville for 1986... so making Richard Pitino angry makes me happy" Evans

But Minnesota can lay claim to getting Kris Humphries over Duke back in 2003! ;) (Yes, I realize the Humphries story and am glad we released him from his LOI -- although might have not hurt to have him in the Final Four against UConn when everybody else fouled out...).

gam7
09-25-2015, 02:16 PM

2015 - none
2013 - none
2012 - none
2011 - none
2010 - none

Rashad Vaughn (RSCI #10 in 2014) also is from Minnesota, but transferred to Findlay Prep for his senior season, and unsurprisingly, played his one year of college ball at UNLV.

fgb
09-25-2015, 04:04 PM
But Minnesota can lay claim to getting Kris Humphries over Duke back in 2003! ;) (Yes, I realize the Humphries story and am glad we released him from his LOI -- although might have not hurt to have him in the Final Four against UConn when everybody else fouled out...).

nah, those refs would have had no problem coming up with a few more phantom fouls. they were on a mission.

BD80
09-25-2015, 08:11 PM

There's a difference between not having stones and having Tre stones. Does Nike make compression wear to keep such things properly aligned/constrained?

luburch
04-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Scout made some updates to their 2018 list. Among those changes was moving Romeo Langford up to No. 4 overall. (http://www.scout.com/player/198048-romeo-langford) It doesn't say it on Scout, but Duke is very interested. Scheyer and Smith visited him not long ago.

I had the chance to watch Langford in the Indiana state title game and he is good. Extremely good.

Here he is dropping 46 points in the semi-state game against two other D1 talents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU3HE8oLD7g

kAzE
04-12-2016, 09:42 AM
Awesome news! Would love to get this kid. Hopefully he can be a steady hand at PG who sticks around for a few years, but I also wouldn't mind if he went supernova and won a national championship like his bro :)

Spanarkel
04-18-2016, 12:15 PM
Awesome news! Would love to get this kid. Hopefully he can be a steady hand at PG who sticks around for a few years, but I also wouldn't mind if he went supernova and won a national championship like his bro :)

Even though Romeo has a good handle and passes well, I believe that he is primarily a SG(have had the pleasure of seeing him in person twice when I recently lived in Indiana). Excited that Duke has interest!

kAzE
04-18-2016, 12:22 PM
Even though Romeo has a good handle and passes well, I believe that he is primarily a SG(have had the pleasure of seeing him in person twice when I recently lived in Indiana). Excited that Duke has interest!

I was talking about Tre Jones :p

MCFinARL
04-18-2016, 12:28 PM

Yes, not sure exactly how the Tre Jones thread from last September got revived to talk about Romeo Langford. Confusing.

luburch
04-18-2016, 12:43 PM

Believe kAzE was referencing Tre Jones, who this thread was initially about before my Langford post. I think Duke will gladly take both, though.

Oops - Just saw the comments above! I revived it because it says 2018 Recruiting and was the only 2018 recruiting thread I could find.

MCFinARL
04-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Believe kAzE was referencing Tre Jones, who this thread was initially about before my Langford post. I think Duke will gladly take both, though.

Oops - Just saw the comments above! I revived it because it says 2018 Recruiting and was the only 2018 recruiting thread I could find.

Thanks--that makes sense; I didn't focus on the "2018 Recruiting" in the title.

English
04-18-2016, 01:04 PM
Yes, not sure exactly how the Tre Jones thread from last September got revived to talk about Romeo Langford. Confusing.

Is there a general 2018 Duke hoops recruiting thread? The title of this thread seems to indicate this is where one would go to discuss 2018 recruiting, Tre Jones-centric or otherwise, no?

Spanarkel
04-18-2016, 01:39 PM

My bad! I know Romeo has at least one brother, but not any with a Natty!

JasonEvans
04-18-2016, 01:59 PM
Thread title changed...

lotusland
04-18-2016, 05:24 PM
Laying everybody low with the jump shots that he made...

BD80
04-18-2016, 05:31 PM
My bad! I know Romeo has at least one brother, but not any with a Natty!

Brothers are OK, it is the trainer/uncles we need to watch for.

Actually, we might vet the entire Montague clan, just to be sure.

tar heels will have no idea what I am talking about, except to wonder what an animal doctor has to do with anything.

MCFinARL
04-18-2016, 05:58 PM

tar heels will have no idea what I am talking about, except to wonder what an animal doctor has to do with anything.

No can spork. Always nice to have a literary reference or two.

brevity
04-18-2016, 06:42 PM

In their defense, Tarheels are more familiar with the Capulets, though they prefer those fast-acting geltabs.

DavidBenAkiva
04-18-2016, 10:35 PM
So that's 3 offers for 2018: PF Marvin Bagley, PG Tre Jones, and SG Romeo Langford

At this point, it's incredibly hard to predict which players will stick around for more than a year or two, but the following players will be eligible, at least (excluding obvious one-and-done players):

Seniors: Jeter, Kennard, and Vrankovic
Juniors: DeLaurier, Jackson, and White
Sophomores: No idea

I am really hoping the coaches can get a commit from a good 2-4 year point guard in 2017. We'll probably target some less heralded (not top 10) post players in 2017-18 to replace Jeter and Vrankovic, too. In other news, Bagley has a perfect 1.000 rating from 247sports. He appears to be one of the best recruits to come along in a while, up there in the Jabari/Wiggins or better category. Here's hoping he picks Duke and that we can surround him with some experienced guys like Kennard, Jeter, and DeLaurier.

CajunDevil
04-19-2016, 07:08 AM
So that's 3 offers for 2018: PF Marvin Bagley, PG Tre Jones, and SG Romeo Langford

At this point, it's incredibly hard to predict which players will stick around for more than a year or two, but the following players will be eligible, at least (excluding obvious one-and-done players):

Seniors: Jeter, Kennard, and Vrankovic
Juniors: DeLaurier, Jackson, and White
Sophomores: No idea

I am really hoping the coaches can get a commit from a good 2-4 year point guard in 2017. We'll probably target some less heralded (not top 10) post players in 2017-18 to replace Jeter and Vrankovic, too. In other news, Bagley has a perfect 1.000 rating from 247sports. He appears to be one of the best recruits to come along in a while, up there in the Jabari/Wiggins or better category. Here's hoping he picks Duke and that we can surround him with some experienced guys like Kennard, Jeter, and DeLaurier.

I really like Devon Dotson from Providence Day School in Charlotte (full disclosure: my former HS). He's a very good athlete, has above-average handles and plays under control. Plays a lot like the pre-injury D Rose - explosive, quick first step, excellent finisher around the rim. Offered by UNC, NC State, and Florida among others. He would be a great get as a 2-3 yr pg.

http://247sports.com/Player/Devon-Dotson-86263

Ichabod Drain
04-19-2016, 08:49 AM
I am really hoping the coaches can get a commit from a good 2-4 year point guard in 2017. .

I believe the staff has been keeping an eye on Quade Green. He's #39 on 247's composite ranking so he would be a multi-year type player but still a very talented kid.

Saratoga2
04-19-2016, 03:08 PM
I believe the staff has been keeping an eye on Quade Green. He's #39 on 247's composite ranking so he would be a multi-year type player but still a very talented kid.

When recruiting that far ahead, players ratings are likely to change based on performance. So a #39 might be a whole range from 10 to 50. I believe what the coaches see is that he has the potential to be rated higher than #39.

Olympic Fan
04-19-2016, 03:37 PM
Take this for what it's worth, but I just talked to a very good recruiting guy today and he said (1) that Quade Green is looking like the best pure playmaker on the AAU circuit this spring and (2) Langford grew up a Duke fan

Don't make too much of either observation, but both are interesting to me ...

Ichabod Drain
04-19-2016, 03:57 PM
When recruiting that far ahead, players ratings are likely to change based on performance. So a #39 might be a whole range from 10 to 50. I believe what the coaches see is that he has the potential to be rated higher than #39.

This is true but he's class of 2017 so it's not terribly far out. If it weren't for Bolden we would have moved on completely to 2017 recruiting by now. But yes, from things I've seen recently I think he is on the rise.

flyingdutchdevil
04-19-2016, 03:58 PM
This is true but he's class of 2017 so it's not terribly far out. If it weren't for Bolden we would have moved on completely to 2017 recruiting by now. But yes, from things I've seen recently I think he is on the rise.

So why are we talking about Green pretty extensively in the 2018 recruiting thread?

Ichabod Drain
04-19-2016, 04:07 PM
So why are we talking about Green pretty extensively in the 2018 recruiting thread?

Stuff happens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spanarkel
04-20-2016, 04:22 PM
Stuff happens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For metro Atlanta Duke fans, Romeo and his 17U Eric Gordon All-Stars AAU team are playing (at least) 4 games this weekend at the Suwanee Sports Academy(full schedule at adidasuprising.com).

lotusland
04-22-2016, 05:46 AM
This 6''9 Canadian Prep star has a very mature game for a HS junior:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/canadian-high-school-basketball-star-151458326.html

Is there an age limit for college Freshmen? Because he'll be 32 in 2018

lotusland
04-22-2016, 05:50 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/canadian-high-school-basketball-star-151458326.html

In restrospect his mix tape is hilarious.

http://youtu.be/_WMAmKmY-zs

BD80
04-22-2016, 09:14 AM

That's almost as old as Tyler Hansbrough in high school.

plimnko
04-22-2016, 10:26 AM
That's almost as old as Tyler Hansbrough in high school.

he's been alive ALMOST as long as Carolina's been cheating

Henderson
04-22-2016, 07:13 PM
High school kid gets a fake ID that makes him unable to buy beer. That's odd.

DavidBenAkiva
04-28-2016, 10:41 AM
Add another one to the list: Duke has offered 6'8" guard/forward Cameron Reddish of Norristown, PA. He's a top 10 player in the class of 2018. Highlight videos show a kid with an advanced perimeter game featuring pull-up jumpers, set shots, and drives to the rim. He's very tall for a guard and may present matchup problems at the college level with his height and length.

Looking at the 247Sports and ESPN recruiting rankings, the 2018 class appears to be very Power Forward/Center heavy at the top. Of the top 6 players on both lists, 5 are listed at either of those positions. Reddish is considered the top wing player at the moment.

Reddish, Redick, seems like a Duke name to me!

ChillinDuke
04-28-2016, 10:52 AM
Add another one to the list: Duke has offered 6'8" guard/forward Cameron Reddish of Norristown, PA. He's a top 10 player in the class of 2018. Highlight videos show a kid with an advanced perimeter game featuring pull-up jumpers, set shots, and drives to the rim. He's very tall for a guard and may present matchup problems at the college level with his height and length.

Looking at the 247Sports and ESPN recruiting rankings, the 2018 class appears to be very Power Forward/Center heavy at the top. Of the top 6 players on both lists, 5 are listed at either of those positions. Reddish is considered the top wing player at the moment.

Redick-ish?

I like it.

- Chillin

flyingdutchdevil
04-28-2016, 12:54 PM

Hood 2.0?

BD80
04-28-2016, 01:59 PM
Sounds like he reminds me of Ingram, #1 draft pick.

DavidBenAkiva
06-02-2016, 05:24 PM
A top 50 prospect with a famous father has listed Duke, Kentucky, and Michigan State as schools from which he would like to receive a scholarship offer. Shareef O'Neal, son of Shaquille O'Neal, is a 6'9" power forward. He's set some lofty goals for himself (http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/shareef-oneal-shaq-recruiting-duke-kentucky-michigan-state/141otd2o0e0a31aeoopzs9kvy1) (scroll down). Duke has had success with former NBA players' kids (Henderson, Smith, etc.). Might the Big Aristotle become a proud Duke father?

johnb
06-02-2016, 05:39 PM
A top 50 prospect with a famous father has listed Duke, Kentucky, and Michigan State as schools from which he would like to receive a scholarship offer. Shareef O'Neal, son of Shaquille O'Neal, is a 6'9" power forward. He's set some lofty goals for himself (http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/shareef-oneal-shaq-recruiting-duke-kentucky-michigan-state/141otd2o0e0a31aeoopzs9kvy1) (scroll down). Duke has had success with former NBA players' kids (Henderson, Smith, etc.). Might the Big Aristotle become a proud Duke father?

As for the lengthy list of goals, I was impressed by its organization. The 13 year old started with growing taller, which was probably do-able. The list of 15 got steadily more unlikely, which shows strong cognitive skills. Being better than his dad, for example, well, that'll be tough.

Skitzle
06-02-2016, 05:41 PM

6'9" huh? Do the cindblocks count his doo?

devildeac
06-02-2016, 06:07 PM

Well, one, two, three, four, Shaq can't play this game no more...

brlftz
06-04-2016, 04:49 AM
he's an all time great, and it would be an honor for his son to come to Duke. No need to be snarky on the front page.

slower
06-04-2016, 08:31 AM
he's an all time great, and it would be an honor for his son to come to Duke. No need to be snarky on the front page.

He said what he said. If he's gonna dish it out, he's gonna have to take it.

lotusland
06-04-2016, 08:46 AM
Does Laettner have a son old enough to school him?

OldPhiKap
06-04-2016, 08:51 AM
I was at the game Shaq's freshman year at Cameron, when Laettner took him outside and fouled him out. Two memories:

1. Shaq picks up fourth foul and is pulled. Crazies: ". 1-2-3-4, Shaq can't play this game no more"
2. Shaq goes up for slam, but is too far from rim so he does a nifty lay-in. Crazies: "Shaq can't slam! Shaq can't slam!" Shaq looks at crowd incredulously.

If his son wants to come, I want his son to come. Period.

budwom
06-04-2016, 09:46 AM
I was at the game Shaq's freshman year at Cameron, when Laettner took him outside and fouled him out. Two memories:

1. Shaq picks up fourth foul and is pulled. Crazies: ". 1-2-3-4, Shaq can't play this game no more"
2. Shaq goes up for slam, but is too far from rim so he does a nifty lay-in. Crazies: "Shaq can't slam! Shaq can't slam!" Shaq looks at crowd incredulously.

If his son wants to come, I want his son to come. Period.

One question would be, is he good enough for K to want him to come?

OldPhiKap
06-04-2016, 10:12 AM
One question would be, is he good enough for K to want him to come?

No idea. David Robinson's son is a walk-on. There is a value to having great players associated with our program, and sitting in the stands.

Doria
06-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Does Laettner have a son old enough to school him?

I think his son is around ten (I believe he's the youngest of Laettner's kids), but it's never to early to start!

BD80
06-04-2016, 10:53 AM

Shaq has the potential to be one of the all-time great Duke player parents. Does Barkley have a son that plays well? He would be even better.

Imagine if Kenny Smith had a son that chose Duke!

JasonEvans
06-04-2016, 11:15 AM
No idea. David Robinson's son is a walk-on. There is a value to having great players associated with our program, and sitting in the stands.

While I love Justin Robinson (I've met him in person and he is a great kid) there is a wide gulf between what the recruiting experts think about Justin and what they think about Shareef O'Neal. I'm not 100% certain but I believe that Justin didn't get any major college scholarship offers. Shareef is one of the top 30 or so recruits in the class of 2018 with offers from big time programs like UCLA, USC, Baylor, and others. It is still very early in his recruitment, but it is clear that expectations for him would be significantly higher than Justin Robinson (I'd love for Justin to exceed expectations in a big way, like his father did).

-Jason "as you can see in this mixtape, Shareef is different from his daddy... Shareef seems to have nice perimeter skills in addition to his size" Evans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgsVsNc-7J0

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-04-2016, 01:11 PM
While I love Justin Robinson (I've met him in person and he is a great kid) there is a wide gulf between what the recruiting experts think about Justin and what they think about Shareef O'Neal. I'm not 100% certain but I believe that Justin didn't get any major college scholarship offers. Shareef is one of the top 30 or so recruits in the class of 2018 with offers from big time programs like UCLA, USC, Baylor, and others. It is still very early in his recruitment, but it is clear that expectations for him would be significantly higher than Justin Robinson (I'd love for Justin to exceed expectations in a big way, like his father did).

-Jason "as you can see in this mixtape, Shareef is different from his daddy... Shareef seems to have nice perimeter skills in addition to his size" Evans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgsVsNc-7J0

I'd like to see him shoot free throws...

SilkyJ
06-04-2016, 04:31 PM
I'd like to see him shoot free throws...

he seems to have decent perimeter skills, for whatever a mixtape is worth. looks more like a new age forward who could play the 3 or 4 than a natural post player like his pops.

rhynelander
06-06-2016, 03:17 PM
The number one recruit, in 2018, included the Blue Devils on his final list of six. I don't know much about his game, but he's already 6'10" so what's not to like;)

El_Diablo
06-06-2016, 03:36 PM
The number one recruit, in 2018, included the Blue Devils on his final list of six. I don't know much about his game, but he's already 6'10" so what's not to like;)

The finalists are:

Arizona
Arizona State
Duke
Kentucky
Oregon
UCLA

DavidBenAkiva
09-01-2016, 12:02 PM
Scout released its updated list of prospects for 2018 (http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1701815-updated-2018-top-100), and the top of the list features a lot of Duke targets. Below I've listed the players Duke has offered for 2018 and their rank in the new Scout Top 100 list overall and position ranking.

Marvin Bagley, 6'11" PF, #1 Overall, #1 PF
Zion Williamson, 6'7" SF/PF, #2 Overall, #2 PF
Romeo Langford, 6'5" SG, #3 Overall, #1 SG
Cameron Reddish, 6'6", SF #4 Overall, # SF
Tre Jones, 6'2" PG, #25 Overall, #7 PG

So yeah, Duke is looking at the top players in the 2018 class at the moment. I've read a lot of talk about how this is a down year for recruiting in comparison to 2016 and 2017. Still, it looks like the staff is prioritizing the best players.

Troublemaker
09-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Zion Williamson ‏@ZionW32 (https://twitter.com/ZionW32) 15h15 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ZionW32/status/779112999747477504)
Thanks for coach K and Duke basketball for coming to visit

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs_3IviWgAA7fV9.jpg

Pghdukie
09-23-2016, 01:01 PM
Zion Williamson ‏@ZionW32 (https://twitter.com/ZionW32) 15h15 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ZionW32/status/779112999747477504)
Thanks for coach K and Duke basketball for coming to visit

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs_3IviWgAA7fV9.jpg

I would feel much more confident about Zion in the future if he changes his attire to the swoosh ! A very good prospect tho !

Troublemaker
09-23-2016, 01:59 PM
I would feel much more confident about Zion in the future if he changes his attire to the swoosh ! A very good prospect tho !

I'm not worried about that aspect. If Williamson starts to show a lot of interest in Maryland, UCLA, California, etc. then maybe.

Ichabod Drain
09-27-2016, 12:53 AM
The whole staff (K, Capel, Scheyer, and James) was at Apple Valley tonight to watch Tre Jones.

flyingdutchdevil
09-27-2016, 08:57 AM
The whole staff (K, Capel, Scheyer, and James) was at Apple Valley tonight to watch Tre Jones.

I'd be shocked in Tre doesn't go to Duke. Big Brother + PG needs + Royal Duke Treatment = Magic.

Ichabod Drain
09-27-2016, 11:34 AM
I'd be shocked in Tre doesn't go to Duke. Big Brother + PG needs + Royal Duke Treatment = Magic.

Related note, Tre will be at CTC.

mr. synellinden
09-27-2016, 11:47 AM

Cf Capel, Jason.

devildeac
09-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Cf Capel, Jason.

Jeff was better: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

;)

NSDukeFan
09-27-2016, 02:56 PM
Jeff was better: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

;)

Yes, but he also had to do school work in between basketball development.

Ichabod Drain
09-29-2016, 10:15 AM
All four coaches visited the #1 player in 2018 Marvin Bagley last night. Coaches have been on the road for a few days straight now. I'm guessing they trust Amile to hold down the fort pretty well by now.

I haven't heard anything about Bagley reclassifying but he's got the Josh Jackson age thing going on. He would be 19.5 years old when he started college if he stays in 2018.

DavidBenAkiva
10-14-2016, 05:04 PM
The talented forward is scheduled to make an unofficial visit to Western Kentucky (http://usatodayhss.com/2016/zion-williamson-no-2-basketball-player-in-2018-to-visit-western-kentucky) soon. WKU's new head coach Rick Stansbury makes John Calipari look like a saint. Opposing coaches and even writers feel comfortable openly questioning Stansbury's ethics when it comes to recruiting. It's possible that Duke may not want to be involved in Williamson as a result. That's just speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if Duke suddenly cools on the #2 player in the country. The program doesn't need or want to be involved in shady dealings.

JasonEvans
10-14-2016, 05:27 PM
The talented forward is scheduled to make an unofficial visit to Western Kentucky (http://usatodayhss.com/2016/zion-williamson-no-2-basketball-player-in-2018-to-visit-western-kentucky) soon. WKU's new head coach Rick Stansbury makes John Calipari look like a saint. Opposing coaches and even writers feel comfortable openly questioning Stansbury's ethics when it comes to recruiting. It's possible that Duke may not want to be involved in Williamson as a result. That's just speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if Duke suddenly cools on the #2 player in the country. The program doesn't need or want to be involved in shady dealings.

As long as we treat Williamson honorably and he does not accept any improper benefits from WKU, I see no problem here. He is going to check out a hot coach who makes a strong recruiting pitch. It does not automatically mean the kid will fall prey to illegal recruiting inducements.

Troublemaker
10-14-2016, 05:56 PM
Per Twitter, Williamson has canceled the trip to WKU.

Evan DanielsVerified account ‏@EvanDaniels (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels) 3h3 hours ago (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/787005945935175681)Kentucky, USA (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A6ffcf3b0b904bbcb)
Zion Williamson's trip that was scheduled for this weekend to Western Kentucky has been put on hold. Was told he plans to reschedule.

Brad Stephens ‏@BradBGDN (https://twitter.com/BradBGDN) 3h3 hours ago (https://twitter.com/BradBGDN/status/787007535769391104)Bowling Green, KY (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A390600307e9cd236)
Hilltopper Hysteria visit update:Zion Williamson won't be there.

Henderson
10-15-2016, 11:33 AM
As long as we treat Williamson honorably and he does not accept any improper benefits from WKU, I see no problem here. He is going to check out a hot coach who makes a strong recruiting pitch. It does not automatically mean the kid will fall prey to illegal recruiting inducements.

Nor that he has the sort of character to be tempted by such inducements.

DavidBenAkiva
10-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Given his reputation around college basketball and the "open secret" of his recruiting pitch, I wouldn't be surprised if coaches recruiting Williamson let him know that involvement with Rick Stansbury would be a dealbreaker. I posted the note about Williamson as a canary in the coalmine. If major programs, like Duke, cooled on the top recruit, you could connect the dots. I suppose the other shoe dropped instead.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Williamson was supposed to visit UNC last weekend too after the WVU visit but cancelled both.
Family illness was the excuse used.

Troublemaker
10-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Williamson was supposed to visit UNC last weekend too after the WVU visit but cancelled both.
Family illness was the excuse used.

A syndicated South Carolina sports talk show is reporting that Zion will be at Countdown to Craziness. I bet he doesn't cancel on us.

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc (https://twitter.com/sportstalksc) 7h7 hours ago (https://twitter.com/sportstalksc/status/788802803754012673)
#STRecruiting (https://twitter.com/hashtag/STRecruiting?src=hash): 2018 6-7 Zion Williamson of Spartanburg will visit NC State Friday and Duke Saturday. Will be scheduling a visit to USC.

English
10-20-2016, 08:57 AM
A syndicated South Carolina sports talk show is reporting that Zion will be at Countdown to Craziness. I bet he doesn't cancel on us.

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc (https://twitter.com/sportstalksc) 7h7 hours ago (https://twitter.com/sportstalksc/status/788802803754012673)
#STRecruiting (https://twitter.com/hashtag/STRecruiting?src=hash): 2018 6-7 Zion Williamson of Spartanburg will visit NC State Friday and Duke Saturday. Will be scheduling a visit to USC.

I believe Zags corroborated this source yesterday, citing that Zion will be attending CTC. Exciting news.

superdave
10-20-2016, 09:33 AM

Zion train is coming our way! Get on board!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vaEjIFDACc

Troublemaker
10-20-2016, 10:38 AM
I believe Zags corroborated this source yesterday, citing that Zion will be attending CTC. Exciting news.

My fave player in 2018. (Well, a case could be made for Bagley, too, I suppose). Zion is Justise with baby fat.

Ichabod Drain
10-20-2016, 11:00 AM
My fave player in 2018. (Well, a case could be made for Bagley, too, I suppose). Zion is Justise with baby fat.

A slightly taller and, imo, slightly more skilled Justice at this stage.

richardjackson199
10-20-2016, 11:29 AM
A slightly taller and, imo, slightly more skilled Justice at this stage.

IIRC on his podcast Slater compared him to Larry Johnson, skill-wise. Sounds awesome to me either way.

BD80
10-20-2016, 04:11 PM
IIRC on his podcast Slater compared him to Larry Johnson, skill-wise. Sounds awesome to me either way.

Oh my grandmama

DavidBenAkiva
10-20-2016, 05:29 PM
I saw earlier today that 2018 wing/guard Cameron Reddish will be attending Countdown to Craziness (https://twitter.com/PatLawless_/status/788727461769048064) this weekend. He will be joined by both Zion Williamson and Tre Jones. That's three high-priority juniors attending one of our premier recruiting events.

Ichabod Drain
10-20-2016, 05:45 PM
I saw earlier today that 2018 wing/guard Cameron Reddish will be attending Countdown to Craziness (https://twitter.com/PatLawless_/status/788727461769048064) this weekend. He will be joined by both Zion Williamson and Tre Jones. That's three high-priority juniors attending one of our premier recruiting events.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out with tre jones. Especially if we land Coleman this year.

Pghdukie
10-20-2016, 09:11 PM
Which recruits will make the walk across the court and join the Crazies at CTC ?

DavidBenAkiva
10-21-2016, 10:15 AM
Will be interesting to see how it plays out with tre jones. Especially if we land Coleman this year.

Tre: "Hi Tyus, good luck this season in the NBA!"

Tyus: "Thanks, bro!"

Tre: "I am considering committing to Duke."

Tyus: "That would be ace."

Tre: "Here's the thing. I'm worried that they have this other point guard. What would you do if you were me?"

Tyus: "I'd commit there anyway, take over the starting point guard spot, have the best backcourt in the nation with that other guy, become the Most Outstanding Player in the National Championship game, and get on the cover of Sports Illustrated."

Tre: "Great advice! I'm glad you're my brother."

Ichabod Drain
10-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Tre: "Hi Tyus, good luck this season in the NBA!"

Tyus: "Thanks, bro!"

Tre: "I am considering committing to Duke."

Tyus: "That would be ace."

Tre: "Here's the thing. I'm worried that they have this other point guard. What would you do if you were me?"

Tyus: "I'd commit there anyway, take over the starting point guard spot, have the best backcourt in the nation with that other guy, become the Most Outstanding Player in the National Championship game, and get on the cover of Sports Illustrated."

Tre: "Great advice! I'm glad you're my brother."

If only he could shoot like his brother...

COYS
10-21-2016, 02:34 PM
If only he could shoot like his brother...

Not that Tre will be as good as Tyus, but it's worth noting that three point shooting was perhaps the biggest weaknesses that scouts pointed out in Tyus' offensive game. Justise wasn't known for his three point shooting, either. In fact, outside of Quinn, NONE of our guys were proven three point shooters on that team (Matt had a mediocre freshman year from long range, too).

Anyway, I just say this to point out that Tre has time to improve his shooting, just as Tyus did.

Troublemaker
10-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Anyone interested in 2017 (and some 2018) recruiting news should listen to the most recent episode of Blue Devil Lair podcast. Adam had Andrew Slater on this episode. Andrew, in my opinion, is one of the most tuned in and best college basketball recruitment guys out there. They talk with him for about the first 25 min and he gives a lot of insight into what Duke is looking to do with the 2017 class. I won't try to summarize the whole thing but some key things discussed are Duke possibly trying to land two PG's in this class, what it would take for Jackson to be OAD, and what we could expect from Trent Jr and Carter if we land them.

BDL dropped another podcast this morning with lots of 2018 talk with Andrew Slater: https://soundcloud.com/user-462630600/episode-9-louisville-review-and-countdown-to-craziness-preview

Slater reports that Zion Wiliamson grew up a Duke fan! Slater also gives a fuller scouting report on him with lots of raves. I still like my "Justise with baby fat" comparison better than the Larry Johnson one, but that's nitpicking.

They also discuss Cameron Reddish and Tre Jones. These three are all visiting for CTC with weekend.

Ichabod Drain
10-27-2016, 08:30 AM
The top PG in 2018, Darius Garland, will be visiting Duke this weekend per Adam Rowe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF2U9MxngSo

richardjackson199
10-27-2016, 12:17 PM
The top PG in 2018, Darius Garland, will be visiting Duke this weekend per Adam Rowe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF2U9MxngSo

Sweet. He is the son of former NBA point guard, Winston Garland. Winston played 7 years in the league, most notably in the late 80's with the Warriors. He played for 5 different NBA teams. In 1988-89 he averaged 14.5 ppg.

I know nothing about Darius, except that the Crystal Ball likes Vanderbilt. But Andrew Slater picked Duke for him. #1 PG in class sounds great to me - any chance he could or would reclassify to 2017 if we strike out on all the PG's there?

Troublemaker
10-29-2016, 12:58 PM

Darius Garland ‏@dariusgarland22 (https://twitter.com/dariusgarland22)3h3 hours ago (https://twitter.com/dariusgarland22/status/792361512983785472)
Blessed to receive an offer from Duke University

Adam Rowe ‏@BlueDevilLair (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair/status/792381152329773056)
#1 point guard in 2018, Darius Garland, offered by #Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash) on visit.http://247sports.com/Player/Darius-Garland-82842 … (https://t.co/KglOJqx96U)

Troublemaker
11-01-2016, 11:45 AM
#1 PG in class sounds great to me - any chance he could or would reclassify to 2017 if we strike out on all the PG's there?

Garland is young for his class -- born 1/26/00 according to NBAdraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/darius-garland) -- so, no, there's no chance for reclassification here.

arnie
11-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Garland is young for his class -- born 1/26/00 according to NBAdraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/darius-garland) -- so, no, there's no chance for reclassification here.

This kid doesn't even remember Y2K.

richardjackson199
11-01-2016, 02:20 PM

It's nice to see that 247 CB has Duke as the strong early leader over Vandy for Garland. Duke has 78% with almost all the recent picks going to Duke - including Duke gurus and other knowledgeable gurus. The only recent Vandy pick was a Vandy guy. It's always good to be the perceived leader.

rasputin
11-01-2016, 05:00 PM
It's nice to see that 247 CB has Duke as the strong early leader over Vandy for Garland. Duke has 78% with almost all the recent picks going to Duke - including Duke gurus and other knowledgeable gurus. The only recent Vandy pick was a Vandy guy. It's always good to be the perceived leader.

There's still the possibility that Garland's nomination to the Supreme Court will be confirmed by the Senate.

Volunteer Duke
12-07-2016, 08:01 PM
I'd bet on us having the number 1 class (yet again) in 2018.

Feel great about Tre Jones, Darius Garland, and Cameron Reddish.

Feel very good about Zion.

Feel like we're in a good position with Bagley (the crown jewel).

Really don't know about Romeo Langford.

Ideally, we'd get all those guys. It's not outside the realm of possibility. Just not sure on Romeo and Bagley could go elsewhere (Zona or an overseas pro league)

All that said, it's a weak class and not all of those guys are one-and-done. Garland would be a 3-year player, at least. Tre would be here for 4 years. Cameron Reddish and Zion Williamson may be one-and-done, especially Zion, but they're not as certain as a Tatum or a Giles.

The only slam dunk one-and-done would be Bagley.

Still very early and guys like David McCormack and Moses Brown could be targeted for post depth. Both are project bigs.

Volunteer Duke
12-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Zion Williamson is a star.

He set a record last night in the Chik-Fil-A Classic: 53 points and 16 rebounds. 24/24 on 2 pointers. 1/4 from downtown.

2017 UNC commit Jalek Felton was on the opposing team, Gray Collegiate. He had 19 points.

Ichabod Drain
12-21-2016, 02:46 PM
I'd bet on us having the number 1 class (yet again) in 2018.

Feel great about Tre Jones, Darius Garland, and Cameron Reddish.

Feel very good about Zion.

Feel like we're in a good position with Bagley (the crown jewel).

Really don't know about Romeo Langford.

Ideally, we'd get all those guys. It's not outside the realm of possibility. Just not sure on Romeo and Bagley could go elsewhere (Zona or an overseas pro league)

All that said, it's a weak class and not all of those guys are one-and-done. Garland would be a 3-year player, at least. Tre would be here for 4 years. Cameron Reddish and Zion Williamson may be one-and-done, especially Zion, but they're not as certain as a Tatum or a Giles.

The only slam dunk one-and-done would be Bagley.

Still very early and guys like David McCormack and Moses Brown could be targeted for post depth. Both are project bigs.

I'm not sure how he would stack up vs elite PG's in other classes but Garland is a top 10 prospect and #1 at his position. I think every player who meets that criteria has a decent chance to be OAD. 2015 was a weak class as well but it still had something like 15 OADs.

Zion should absolutely be a OAD.

English
12-21-2016, 03:46 PM

He set a record last night in the Chik-Fil-A Classic: 53 points and 16 rebounds. 24/24 on 2 pointers. 1/4 from downtown.

2017 UNC commit Jalek Felton was on the opposing team, Gray Collegiate. He had 19 points.

Although I revile defending anything to do with the heels, unc commit Jalek Felton had 31pts (not 19).

Williamson looks outrageously talented going up against these high school opponents. He's the protagonist of a series of absolutely electrifying highlights in this and other games. If you haven't had occasion to check them out, I highly recommend*.

*Not for developing a realistic scouting report or collegiate projection of Williamson's game, but just because HOLY SMOKES.

lotusland
12-22-2016, 08:00 AM

Gray Collegiate has to be a UNC recruit

DavidBenAkiva
01-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Cameron Reddish, 6-8 small forward, took an unofficial visit to Duke over the weekend. He was at the Miami game and appears to be in great position for Duke. Recruiting analyst Chris Fischer at CatsPause submitted a prediction on the 247 Sports Crystal Ball that Reddish will commit to Duke. That's got to be a good sign. Jerry Meyer also noted that aside from 2017 forward Michael Porter, Reddish was the most impressive player at the Hoophall Classic. I mean, his name is Cameron. He was destined to play at Duke, right?

Duke also appears to be in great position for top point guards Darius Garland and Tre Jones as well as internet sensation/forward Zion Williamson. A class built on Garland, Jones, Reddish, and Williamson would be quite talented and include a trio of top 10 players as well as a longer-term fix for the point guard position. Other early recruiting priorities in the class appear to be top player Marvin Bagley and top guard Romeo Langford. The consensus on those players is not nearly as positive for Duke as the previously mentioned targets. Still, it's a long way to go and we shall see how it all turns out.

It's hard to project exactly who will be on the roster in the 2018-19 season, but it could include seniors Luke Kennard, Chase Jeter, and Antonio Vrankovic; juniors Frank Jackson, Jack White, Javin DeLaurier, and Marques Bolden (although I am skeptical he stays for 3 years); and sophomore Alex O'Connell (assuming Gary Trent, Jr., Wendell Carter, Jr., and possibly Trevon Duval and/or Mohamad Bamba end up at Duke before entering the NBA Draft).

DavidBenAkiva
02-01-2017, 10:20 AM
A couple of quick updates from the recruiting trail:

Zion Williamson took an unofficial to UK over the weekend and was, according to Adam Zagoria (http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/01/31/zion-williamson-floored-kentucky-visit-will-meet-week-john-calipari/), very impressed by what he saw. "That environment, I just can’t even describe it, it’s ridiculous." Calipari is making a follow-up visit to Williamson this week, for what it's worth. If Duke is able to secure this recruitment, then it's against an all-out effort from UK.

In other developments, Coach Jeff Capel took a trip up to Minneapolis to visit with Tre Jones yesterday. The dude coaches two road game victories and then immediately flies to the frozen tundra to meet with a high priority and highly interested recruit. Talk about putting in work!

As VolunteerDuke mentioned, we appear to be in a great position with Jones and not quite as great with Williamson.

BandAlum83
02-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Although I revile defending anything to do with the heels, unc commit Jalek Felton had 31pts (not 19).

Williamson looks outrageously talented going up against these high school opponents. He's the protagonist of a series of absolutely electrifying highlights in this and other games. If you haven't had occasion to check them out, I highly recommend*.

*Not for developing a realistic scouting report or collegiate projection of Williamson's game, but just because HOLY SMOKES.

Holy smokes?

Sure, he's talented, but the highlights reel I'm seeing makes him look like Shaq up against middle schoolers.

kAzE
02-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Holy smokes?

Sure, he's talented, but the highlights reel I'm seeing makes him look like Shaq up against middle schoolers.

I'll save everyone some time. Here's a ridiculous highlight video of this kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD99YGeptRQ

At first, I couldn't tell if he was just huge or everyone else on the court is tiny, because he moves like a guard. Turns out, he's 6'6", but he's 230 pounds!! The guy seems a little like a more athletic Justise Winslow, because of his ability to handle the ball and make plays from the perimeter as a big man. He's got such a mature body, and could probably play in the NBA right now.

On the other hand, you don't really get to see a whole lot of his game other than dunking in his various tapes. I'd be curious to know if he has a jump shot and how good his defense is. I'd assume he has some other skills, since he's the #2 player in the class on Scout right now.

Also, strangely, Scout doesn't seem to have Duke or UK on his list of schools that he's interested in.

FadedTackyShirt
02-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Zion plays in a weak private school conference in Upstate SC. A buddy's kid played against him last week and said he was unbelievably talented. Are Zion and Reddish complementary or mutually exclusive?

I've seen Langford play a few times and he's very good.

DavidBenAkiva
02-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Zion plays in a weak private school conference in Upstate SC. A buddy's kid played against him last week and said he was unbelievably talented. Are Zion and Reddish complementary or mutually exclusive?

I've seen Langford play a few times and he's very good.

It never hurts to have a couple of good wings. Reddish appears to be the more perimeter-oriented player, a smooth shooter and slasher to the basket. Zion is just a manimal. He can play the wing or a stretch 4 position. Williamson is like a hyper version of Bonzie Colson from Notre Dame. He has the same physical profile if a couple inches taller but has extreme leaping ability. I think those two with a more traditional post and two guards would pose a real challenge to most teams. They would cause a ton of matchup problems.

NSDukeFan
02-01-2017, 12:21 PM
I'll save everyone some time. Here's a ridiculous highlight video of this kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD99YGeptRQ

At first, I couldn't tell if he was just huge or everyone else on the court is tiny, because he moves like a guard. Turns out, he's 6'6", but he's 230 pounds!! The guy seems a little like a more athletic Justise Winslow, because of his ability to handle the ball and make plays from the perimeter as a big man. He's got such a mature body, and could probably play in the NBA right now.

On the other hand, you don't really get to see a whole lot of his game other than dunking in his various tapes. I'd be curious to know if he has a jump shot and how good his defense is. I'd assume he has some other skills, since he's the #2 player in the class on Scout right now.

Also, strangely, Scout doesn't seem to have Duke or UK on his list of schools that he's interested in.

Is that what Barkley's mixtape would have looked like?

BD80
02-01-2017, 12:39 PM

Lots of gambling and eating ...

The golf would have been edited out

mr. synellinden
02-01-2017, 01:06 PM

Or Larry Johnson's?

Indoor66
02-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Or Larry Johnson's?

Grand Ma Ma is getting old now!😂

JasonEvans
02-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Zion plays in a weak private school conference in Upstate SC.

He looks like he has really nice handle and clearly he can elevate, but there is little else one can glean from watching him play against competition that can't even play DIII basketball. There are plenty of guys who barely sniff the floor at a high DI program who would look dominant against that level of competition.

So, here he is at the NBPA Top 100 camp last summer played on the UVA campus. He looks pretty darn strong in this mixtape playing against lots of legit high D1 prospects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNZYzXgZ9Dc

-Jason "he has phenomenal speed and burst -- I'll take him ;) " Evans

Hancock 4 Duke
02-01-2017, 02:53 PM
Going to see Williamson play this weekend, I'll make sure to update. He's shooting less than 30% from 3, though, and his jumper isn't anything special from seeing his highlights. It's mainly just pure athleticism and aggressiveness coming from him.

flyingdutchdevil
02-01-2017, 02:57 PM
Going to see Williamson play this weekend, I'll make sure to update. He's shooting less than 30% from 3, though, and his jumper isn't anything special from seeing his highlights. It's mainly just pure athleticism and aggressiveness coming from him.

So he's a beefier Gerald Henderson?

mattman91
02-01-2017, 03:01 PM

I'd take that.

BTW, G has turned in to a pretty decent 3 point shooter in the league.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-01-2017, 07:05 PM

Yeah, that's a solid comparison. Can get much higher than G, though. Maybe a little less poise but he's only 16 so that could change

gam7
02-01-2017, 11:50 PM
Yeah, that's a solid comparison. Can get much higher than G, though. Maybe a little less poise but he's only 16 so that could change

You sure?
(https://youtu.be/ikv-3KoXW_U)

BandAlum83
02-02-2017, 02:04 AM
He looks like he has really nice handle and clearly he can elevate, but there is little else one can glean from watching him play against competition that can't even play DIII basketball. There are plenty of guys who barely sniff the floor at a high DI program who would look dominant against that level of competition.

So, here he is at the NBPA Top 100 camp last summer played on the UVA campus. He looks pretty darn strong in this mixtape playing against lots of legit high D1 prospects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNZYzXgZ9Dc

-Jason "he has phenomenal speed and burst -- I'll take him ;) " Evans

Well this is certainly a better look. Thanks, Jason.

After seeing, I would have 2 questions: can he go to his right and finish with the right hand?

Can he shoot free throws?

FadedTackyShirt
02-02-2017, 06:32 AM

Steph Curry claims G is the best golfer in the NBA. Would take Zion even if he can't putt.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-02-2017, 06:22 PM
You sure?
(https://youtu.be/ikv-3KoXW_U)

G had a 35 inch vertical leap standing with a 6'6 wing span, Williamson has a 6'10 wingspan and 46 inch vertical...so I'd say so

CDu
02-02-2017, 07:30 PM
G had a 35 inch vertical leap standing with a 6'6 wing span, Williamson has a 6'10 wingspan and 46 inch vertical...so I'd say so

I am quite sure he doesn't have a 46 inch vertical. That would be better than any vertical ever measured at the NBA combine.

BD80
02-02-2017, 08:54 PM
I am quite sure he doesn't have a 46 inch vertical. That would be better than any vertical ever measured at the NBA combine.

David Thompson had a 44" standing vertical and a 48" max vertical.

It is inconceivable that a 6'6" 230 lb junior in high school could be in that rarified air.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-02-2017, 09:01 PM

Only source I could find cited a 46 inch vert. If any of you guys could find a better source instead of conjecture I'd be happy to concede

CDu
02-02-2017, 09:26 PM
Only source I could find cited a 46 inch vert. If any of you guys could find a better source instead of conjecture I'd be happy to concede

I would discount - immediately - anecdotal estimates of vertical leaps. They are pretty much always vast overestimates.

I am not saying Williamson isn't a better leaper than Henderson. Just that the likelihood that he actually has a 46-inch vertical is next to zero.

Rich
02-02-2017, 10:30 PM
I would discount - immediately - anecdotal estimates of vertical leaps. They are pretty much always vast overestimates.

I am not saying Williamson isn't a better leaper than Henderson. Just that the likelihood that he actually has a 46-inch vertical is next to zero.

Maybe a 46-inch horizontal?

TruBlu
02-02-2017, 10:34 PM
Maybe they left of a decimal, and his vertical matches my 4.6 inch vertical.

ricks68
02-02-2017, 11:02 PM
I actually had a 32-34 inch vertical measured at Duke PE. Way better than the rest of my class. (Of course, I was 5'11 and 128 pounds, so there wasn't a lot holding me down.:o) When I went to the FF in 2015, they had a set up in the basketball museum where you could measure it by knocking away these kind-of slats. I think I still hit 28-29 and beat the heck out of my 15 year old nephews who were making fun of me because they didn't believe me. Not bad, since I was 69 at the time. (I think I pulled half the muscles in my body doing it, of course, and was sore for at least a week.) A 36 is really, really good, but a 46 does not seem possible for the guy described. No way. Just my humble opinion that seems to be in the majority here.

ricks

juise
02-03-2017, 12:34 AM

This should probably be qualified. We can discount the accuracy of anecdotal estimates of vertical leaps as measured in inches, but can clearly trust any estimate given in cinder blocks or cinder block fractions.

ricks68
02-03-2017, 12:40 AM
This should probably be qualified. We can discount the accuracy of anecdotal estimates of vertical leaps as measured in inches, but can clearly trust any estimate given in cinder blocks or cinder block fractions.

I do not believe that vertical leaps can be measured in cinder blocks unless the leap being measured is rotated 90 degrees, right? I mean like, technically.....:rolleyes:

ricks

gam7
02-03-2017, 12:46 AM

I hear that when he wants to dunk, the basket comes down to him.

ricks68
02-03-2017, 12:59 AM
I hear that when he wants to dunk, the basket comes down to him.

Sounds like he is a cross between Patrick Davidson and that guy on the beer commercials.;)

ricks

Saratoga2
02-03-2017, 10:42 AM

I remember a kid named Jacob Tucker who was 5'!!" and had a vertical of 50 inches according to the press. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8unhRRK2DQ8

Also, there is a 6'4" kid who is a Texas freshman that can get to the top of the backboard. These are running jumps so they are the max outliers but do show very high verticals are possible. Whether Williamson can do them at his size is another story. I was a very good white athlete but could never get over 32 inches so anything around 40 is rarified air to me.

Indoor66
02-03-2017, 10:44 AM
I remember a kid named Jacob Tucker who was 5'!!" and had a vertical of 50 inches according to the press. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8unhRRK2DQ8

Also, there is a 6'4" kid who is a Texas freshman that can get to the top of the backboard. These are running jumps so they are the max outliers but do show very high verticals are possible. Whether Williamson can do them at his size is another story. I was a very good white athlete but could never get over 32 inches so anything around 40 is rarified air to me.

Why the color reference?

Saratoga2
02-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Why the color reference?

I think in general, white kids don't have quite as much spring. I saw a test run with kids jumping off a mat that could measure leaving force. There were a number of black kids and white kids represented. The black kids were the better jumpers in that test. There are exceptions or outliers to all generalities and the kid I referred to with the 50 inch vertical is white for instance.

ChillinDuke
02-03-2017, 01:50 PM
I think in general, white kids don't have quite as much spring. I saw a test run with kids jumping off a mat that could measure leaving force. There were a number of black kids and white kids represented. The black kids were the better jumpers in that test. There are exceptions or outliers to all generalities and the kid I referred to with the 50 inch vertical is white for instance.

Out of curiosity, did anything come of that 50-inch vertical kid? Did he play college ball? Or was he more akin to those long drivers in golf that can just smoke golf balls off tees but don't have a complete enough game to compete on The Tour?

- Chillin

BandAlum83
02-03-2017, 03:37 PM

You mean, it's not only a movie title?

BandAlum83
02-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Out of curiosity, did anything come of that 50-inch vertical kid? Did he play college ball? Or was he more akin to those long drivers in golf that can just smoke golf balls off tees but don't have a complete enough game to compete on The Tour?

- Chillin

The kid's name is woody harrelson. He went on to be a pretty well known stoner.

madscavenger
02-03-2017, 03:54 PM

i refuse to say it. But if i can get my hands on the raw data, conduct
double (or triple) blinds -- whatever it takes -- and duplicate the result,
maybe i'll back down (when i get there) and do the dirty deed.

ricks68
02-03-2017, 04:17 PM

Really, really, really witty astute observation. Thanks for the big laugh you placed out there for me.:)

(Can't spork you this time, so I will make a note to do so when I can again.)

ricks

BandAlum83
02-03-2017, 08:16 PM
Really, really, really witty astute observation. Thanks for the big laugh you placed out there for me.:)

(Can't spork you this time, so I will make a note to do so when I can again.)

ricks

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week and remember to tip your bartenders and servers!

English
02-07-2017, 03:46 PM
According to a recruiting analyst named Julius Kim from Phenom Hoops, Zion Williamson will be visiting Duke on March 4.

I'm not familiar with Julius Kim or Phenom Hoops, so perhaps stay tuned for a corroborating (and more reputable?) outlet reporting this. Of course, Duke plays @dumpsville on March 4, so who knows what this means for Zion and this prospective visit.

All this said, Zion may or may not be visiting Duke on the day of the second Tobacco Road game.

kAzE
02-07-2017, 04:14 PM
According to a recruiting analyst named Julius Kim from Phenom Hoops, Zion Williamson will be visiting Duke on March 4.

I'm not familiar with Julius Kim or Phenom Hoops, so perhaps stay tuned for a corroborating (and more reputable?) outlet reporting this. Of course, Duke plays @dumpsville on March 4, so who knows what this means for Zion and this prospective visit.

All this said, Zion may or may not be visiting Duke on the day of the second Tobacco Road game.

According to 247sports.com, Williamson is actually going to be at Duke for an unofficial visit this Thursday. I assume Trevon Duval and Kevin Knox will be attending the game, as well.

English
02-07-2017, 04:19 PM
According to 247sports.com, Williamson is actually going to be at Duke for an unofficial visit this Thursday. I imagine he won't be the only recruit in the house.

I'm not sure if you mean the only 2018 recruit in the house, but we also already know that Thursday will be the first day of Trevon Duval's OV to Duke. Of course, that's been noted in the 2017 thread.

Would be nice to have Zion and some of his 2018 peers--paging Cam Reddish, Tre Jones, among others--in the house along with Trevon Duval (and Wendell Carter, Gray Trent Jr.), etc. The place is going to be absolutely electric later this week.

kAzE
02-07-2017, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure if you mean the only 2018 recruit in the house, but we also already know that Thursday will be the first day of Trevon Duval's OV to Duke. Of course, that's been noted in the 2017 thread.

Would be nice to have Zion and some of his 2018 peers--paging Cam Reddish, Tre Jones, among others--in the house along with Trevon Duval (and Wendell Carter, Gray Trent Jr.), etc. The place is going to be absolutely electric later this week.

Yep, already revised my post to include the 2 uncommitted 2017 guys who will be in the house. Doesn't look like anyone else from 2018 is coming, though.

Spanarkel
02-08-2017, 07:42 AM
According to 247sports.com, Williamson is actually going to be at Duke for an unofficial visit this Thursday. I assume Trevon Duval and Kevin Knox will be attending the game, as well.

247sports.com should check Zion's high school schedule as his team has a home game this Thursday(2/9).

FadedTackyShirt
02-08-2017, 08:12 AM

Bump for update.

Spanarkel
02-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Yep, already revised my post to include the 2 uncommitted 2017 guys who will be in the house. Doesn't look like anyone else from 2018 is coming, though.

By anyone else, I guess you are referring to anyone other than Zion from the 2018 class, but Zion is playing a home game for his high school team on 2/9 in Spartanburg.

FadedTackyShirt
02-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Zion playing in a playoff game tonight. Will be interesting to see which coaches show up.

CarmenWallaceWade
02-14-2017, 02:14 PM
From last night: http://www.sbnation.com/2017/2/14/14609986/zion-williamson-360-windmill-vince-carter-dunk-highlights

This guy dunking in Cameron with a Duke jersey on? Let me thi...yes.

cato
02-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Maybe a 46-inch horizontal?

I have been working hard on this. People may doubt me, but if I fall short, it's because I reached for the stars.

BandAlum83
02-14-2017, 02:43 PM
I have been working hard on this. People may doubt me, but if I fall short, it's because I reached for the stars.

But landed the moon!

FadedTackyShirt
02-14-2017, 03:51 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article132406929.html

El_Diablo
02-14-2017, 04:03 PM

(general background on Zion Williamson)

slower
02-14-2017, 04:33 PM
From last night: http://www.sbnation.com/2017/2/14/14609986/zion-williamson-360-windmill-vince-carter-dunk-highlights

I mean, really, you think a high-school kid would have a chance in the NBA dunk cont-WHAT IN THE HOLY HE!! WAS THAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Wow.

mattman91
02-15-2017, 11:34 AM
Surprised we aren't pursuing any big men in this class other than Bagley, who most would say we are on the outside looking in on his recruitment.

Of the big men on our roster now, and the ones we pick up in '17, the only guys we can expect to be on or roster will be seniors Vrankovic and Jeter and junior Delaurier.

Anyone know of any other C/PF prospects we are interested in?

ricks68
02-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Surprised we aren't pursuing any big men in this class other than Bagley, who most would say we are on the outside looking in on his recruitment.

Of the big men on our roster now, and the ones we pick up in '17, the only guys we can expect to be on or roster will be seniors Vrankovic and Jeter and junior Delaurier.

Obi might be able to play by then.😉
(Seriously, you do bring up an interesting point, however.)

ricks

DavidBenAkiva
02-15-2017, 12:04 PM

One could make the argument that Zion Williamson is a forward. He's 6'7" 230 lbs as a 16 year-old junior and it's possible he could grow an addition inch or two before he plays in college. Coach K has a fondness for stretch forwards, after all. Duke might also have Marques Bolden on the roster in 2018-19. Who knows?

mattman91
02-15-2017, 12:05 PM
Obi might be able to play by then.😉
(Seriously, you do bring up an interesting point, however.)

ricks

Have they finished making his new knees yet? :cool:

mattman91
02-15-2017, 12:09 PM
One could make the argument that Zion Williamson is a forward. He's 6'7" 230 lbs as a 16 year-old junior and it's possible he could grow an addition inch or two before he plays in college. Coach K has a fondness for stretch forwards, after all. Duke might also have Marques Bolden on the roster in 2018-19. Who knows?

This is very true. Might be nice to have some fallback options though.

ricks68
02-15-2017, 12:09 PM
Have they finished making his new knees yet? :cool:

I think the Duke engineering school is working on it. Robotics, you know.

ricks

BandAlum83
02-15-2017, 12:15 PM

Didn't one of the articles I read about him say something about his "growth plates still being open" and he could end up at 6'9" or 6'10"?

Quite possible he is being recruited as a forward.

mattman91
02-15-2017, 12:19 PM

This is very true. Might be nice to have some fallback options though.

Then again we have to think about the season after that when all of those guys are gone...

budwom
02-15-2017, 12:36 PM

It's still very early. I am sure the staff will be sniffing around in the Spring for more 2018 recruits. After all, our 2017-18 roster is in a huge state of flux now....we could easily
lose eight guys from this year's roster.

BD80
02-15-2017, 01:08 PM

Talk about lazy transition defense ... that "defender" could have been immortalized on a poster!

One day, Anderson asked Zion, then 5, the same question he posed to all others in camp.
“What do you want to do when you grow up?”
“I want to go to Duke and play basketball,” Zion replied.
Williamson later would say the same thing about UNC and other schools. (emphasis added)

We're his first love!

ChillinDuke
02-15-2017, 01:19 PM
Talk about lazy transition defense ... that "defender" could have been immortalized on a poster!

One day, Anderson asked Zion, then 5, the same question he posed to all others in camp.
Williamson later would say the same thing about UNC and other schools. (emphasis added)

We're his first love!

There was Wilt, Kareem, Moses, Michael, Grant, Kobe and LeBron. Next in line could be Zion.

Who is Grant?

- Chillin

DavidBenAkiva
02-15-2017, 02:22 PM
There was Wilt, Kareem, Moses, Michael, Grant, Kobe and LeBron. Next in line could be Zion.

Who is Grant?

- Chillin

Being that Zion Williamson and family are from South Carolina, home of Clemson University, I assume the reference is to Horace Grant.

Side note: my brother received a signed basketball from the 1992-93 starting lineup of the Chicago Bulls from our uncle for his Bar Mitzvah. I received a plaque with the signatures of Patrick Stewart and William Shatner, "Captains of the Enterprise," two years later. I love my plaque, but his basketball has appreciated significantly since then.

duke74
02-15-2017, 06:09 PM
Being that Zion Williamson and family are from South Carolina, home of Clemson University, I assume the reference is to Horace Grant.

Side note: my brother received a signed basketball from the 1992-93 starting lineup of the Chicago Bulls from our uncle for his Bar Mitzvah. I received a plaque with the signatures of Patrick Stewart and William Shatner, "Captains of the Enterprise," two years later. I love my plaque, but his basketball has appreciated significantly since then.

Well, one out of the two being tribesmen isn't bad for a Bar Mitzvah gift. :)

ChillinDuke
02-15-2017, 06:34 PM

Aren't all the other players listed on a first name basis?

Couldn't be referencing Grant Hill, could he? On that list of players?

I mean, if so, I like it.

- Chillin

CDu
02-15-2017, 06:38 PM

I would say it would be all but certain that Wlliamson would get a lot (if not all) of his time at PF if he came to Duke. Just like Deng did. Just like Tatum is now.

Olympic Fan
02-15-2017, 06:53 PM
I would say it would be all but certain that Wlliamson would get a lot (if not all) of his time at PF if he came to Duke. Just like Deng did. Just like Tatum is now.

Look at it this way ... in the last four years, Duke has started a future NBA 3 at the 4 -- Parker in 2014, Winslow in 2015, Ingram in 2016 and Tatum this season. The first three were lottery picks and Tatum will be too. Actually, you could are that Ryan Kelly in 2012 and 2013 fit that description too. He wasn't drafted, but he's played four years in the NBA. Lance (2010) fits that bill too.

As you mention, Deng filled that role too and he did okay. Also Dahntay Jones in 2002 and 2003 and even Singler in 2008 and 2009 (he played more 3 for Duke in 2010).

Not a bad deal for a future NBA 3 to play the 4 at Duke

CDu
02-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Look at it this way ... in the last four years, Duke has started a future NBA 3 at the 4 -- Parker in 2014, Winslow in 2015, Ingram in 2016 and Tatum this season. The first three were lottery picks and Tatum will be too. Actually, you could are that Ryan Kelly in 2012 and 2013 fit that description too. He wasn't drafted, but he's played four years in the NBA. Lance (2010) fits that bill too.

As you mention, Deng filled that role too and he did okay. Also Dahntay Jones in 2002 and 2003 and even Singler in 2008 and 2009 (he played more 3 for Duke in 2010).

Not a bad deal for a future NBA 3 to play the 4 at Duke

Agree on all except Kelly. He was a 4/5 at Duke and is a 4 in the NBA. But yes, Duke has a long history of playing 3s at the 4 in college. Battier fit that trend too, playing primarily as a 4 in college and as a 3 for most of his pro career. Duke isn't alone in this. Most college teams play an NBA 3 as their college 4.

FadedTackyShirt
02-16-2017, 04:02 PM

UCLA seems to believe they're in good shape with both Bagley and Shaq's kid.

English
02-16-2017, 04:15 PM
UCLA seems to believe they're in good shape with both Bagley and Shaq's kid.

Who knows on Shareef O'Neal, but UK is hitting 100% for him on the 247CB, fwiw.

dukefan_828
02-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Just read Zion Williamson's dad is a big time duke fan... should be a no brainer for Zion :o:o

Pghdukie
02-17-2017, 10:11 PM
Duke is heavily into Bagley (#1 recruit). Is there any interest into Moses Brown, a 7' center out of NYC ?

FadedTackyShirt
02-18-2017, 08:08 AM
I mean, really, you think a high-school kid would have a chance in the NBA dunk cont-WHAT IN THE HOLY HE!! WAS THAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Wow.

Sports Center did a segment on Zion's dunks in conjunction with the NBA dunk contest.

A Trevon Duval dunk was in the Top Ten on the same show.

DukeFanSince1990
02-18-2017, 08:41 PM
https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/833076469467320320

:eek:

mr. synellinden
02-19-2017, 01:00 AM

Maybe he does have a 46 inch vertical. Wow.

nmduke2001
02-27-2017, 05:58 PM
Holy Smokes, that kid can jump....
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18767376

InSpades
02-27-2017, 06:02 PM

The kid behind him in dark jersey before he starts towards the rim (same kid shows up in bottom right at end of clip) looks like he's in 8th grade and like 5'6" maybe :P.

kAzE
02-27-2017, 06:06 PM
The kid behind him in dark jersey before he starts towards the rim (same kid shows up in bottom right at end of clip) looks like he's in 8th grade and like 5'6" maybe :P.

I think that's what everyone who stands next to Zion looks like.

Skydog
02-27-2017, 06:57 PM

That should be worth 5 points at least. Dr J's best vs a 16 yo.... hmmm....

Gooch
02-27-2017, 08:57 PM
That crowd is going crazy! If he likes a crazie environment for hoops I know where he can find one...

DavidBenAkiva
03-31-2017, 03:04 PM
The nation's #1 recruit for 2018, Marvin Bagley, released a flashy promo video featuring his 6 final schools:

Arizona
Duke
Kansas
Kentucky
UCLA
USC

He seems to have dropped Arizona State from his list and added USC and Kansas. The short video features a mockup of Bagley in the uniform of each school. He is listed as a 6'11" Point Forward with a 66.1% FG% and a strong work ethic. He's obviously uber athletic. Is it possible the junior makes a commitment over the summer?

Link to video: https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/847840922330988544

English
03-31-2017, 03:26 PM
The nation's #1 recruit for 2018, Marvin Bagley, released a flashy promo video featuring his 6 final schools:

Arizona
Duke
Kansas
Kentucky
UCLA
USC

He seems to have dropped Arizona State from his list and added USC and Kansas. The short video features a mockup of Bagley in the uniform of each school. He is listed as a 6'11" Point Forward with a 66.1% FG% and a strong work ethic. He's obviously uber athletic. Is it possible the junior makes a commitment over the summer?

It seems one school is prominently missing from the list. I like the kid already.

flyingdutchdevil
03-31-2017, 03:29 PM
It seems one school is prominently missing from the list. I like the kid already.

Poor Indiana. Not even getting considering as a prominent school anymore...

BandAlum83
03-31-2017, 03:35 PM
Holy Smokes, that kid can jump...
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18767376

It seems his head is at the level of the rim. Wow.

kAzE
03-31-2017, 03:59 PM
It seems his head is at the level of the rim. Wow.

Is Zion even considering Duke at the moment? I've seen him talked about on this board and among friends with association to Duke, but his profile on Scout.com does not list Duke as a school of interest: http://www.scout.com/player/200316-zion-williamson/analysis?year=2017

Check out what Scout.com lists as his strengths:

Strengths

Athleticism
Explosiveness
Physical Toughness
Strength
Toughness
Traffic Rebounding
Versatility

He's so tough, that it had to be listed twice.:D

rsvman
03-31-2017, 04:09 PM
Is Zion even considering Duke at the moment? I've seen him talked about on this board and among friends with association to Duke, but his profile on Scout.com does not list Duke as a school of interest: http://www.scout.com/player/200316-zion-williamson/analysis?year=2017

Check out what Scout.com lists as his strengths:

He's so tough, that it had to be listed twice.:D

That's nothing. Tough was listed 7 times on Nate James's profile. :cool:

MarkD83
03-31-2017, 05:00 PM
That's nothing. Tough was listed 7 times on Nate James's profile. :cool:

Actually the definition of toughness has a picture of Nate James

lotusland
03-31-2017, 05:03 PM
Actually the definition of toughness has a picture of Nate James

Nate Jamesness?

kAzE
03-31-2017, 05:08 PM
I did actually have a question in my post though: Does anyone know if Zion is interested in Duke? Like I said, Duke isn't listed as a school of interest in his profile.

CarmenWallaceWade
03-31-2017, 05:12 PM
I did actually have a question in my post though: Does anyone know if Zion is interested in Duke? Like I said, Duke isn't listed as a school of interest in his profile.

A few folks at 247 seem to think so.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Zion-Williamson-at-Spartanburg-Day-School-151221/CurrentExpertPredictions

kAzE
03-31-2017, 05:16 PM
A few folks at 247 seem to think so.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Zion-Williamson-at-Spartanburg-Day-School-151221/CurrentExpertPredictions

Nice, I would love to see this guy in Duke Blue. Then maybe Gottlieb can say we're alarmingly athletic.

Troublemaker
03-31-2017, 05:17 PM

Yes, he is interested in Duke. Scout is wrong if they don't list Duke.

rhynelander
03-31-2017, 07:01 PM

http://247sports.com/player/zion-williamson-85997

Don't know how much stock you put into the CB, but Duke leads at 60% as of now. Obviously it's still early, but I also seem to remember reading he grew up a Duke fan. Not that that means much, but it can't really hurt. He would get a great get, especially if he played D anything like Nate James!

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Zion Williamson is drawing huge crowds to see his games (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdQc9Ywd-7A). Kinda fun video to see the crowd reaction to him.

BandAlum83
04-01-2017, 02:01 PM

Is Duke interested in Zion?

Olympic Fan
04-01-2017, 02:14 PM

Ahh ... the fact that he's attended several Duke games over the last two years and sat behind the bench ... once making the trek to sit with the Crazies, would suggest, yes.

I found this is a Raleigh N&O article from February:

From the first time Zion could dribble a basketball, Mom was his coach. She was at once a middle-school physical education teacher, boys basketball coach and coach of all of her son’s recreation league teams. In those recreation leagues, she met her current husband, Lee Anderson, who played basketball at Columbus (Ga.) State University.
Anderson ran a basketball program for youth players in Florence during the summer months, and Sampson enrolled her son.

BandAlum83
04-01-2017, 02:22 PM

I see from looking at 247, we offered. I had never seen this site before now.

It seems for 2017, we offered the # 1,2,3,4,5,8,9,10 nationally ranked players.

Now I am really wondering, I thought certain players were "Duke" players. If we are offering nearly everyone in the top 10 these days, has the profile of a Duke player changed?

Is the profile a OAD, otherwise a good student in the 20+ range?

Someone out here, please talk me off the ledge to utter cynicism.

budwom
04-01-2017, 04:23 PM
I see from looking at 247, we offered. I had never seen this site before now.

It seems for 2017, we offered the # 1,2,3,4,5,8,9,10 nationally ranked players.

Now I am really wondering, I thought certain players were "Duke" players. If we are offering nearly everyone in the top 10 these days, has the profile of a Duke player changed?

Is the profile a OAD, otherwise a good student in the 20+ range?

I'll talk you off the ledge by saying that somehow you have misinterpreted what are Duke offers, or you are referencing some bogus data. When I look at 247 (Devils Den), we are listed as
having top targets of the #s 3 (Bamba), 4 (Carter), 5 (Duval),8 (Knox) 10 (Trent) and 62 (O'Connell). Carter, Trent and O'Connell are already in the bag (truck), everyone knows about the wooage of Bamba, Knox and Duval.
The number 1 and 2 guys in the class, Ayton and Porter, are not on Duke's radar, though Porter once was long ago.

And to answer your question about the number of offers, well, the One and Dones, they (by definition) come and go, necessitating annual replacement parts Transfers compound the issue.

richardjackson199
04-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Holy Mount Zion!

Check out this dunk:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/16-year-old-threw-down-dunk-that-easily-would%E2%80%99ve-won-nba-dunk-contest/ar-BBzd6L5?li=BBnba9I

kAzE
04-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Holy Mount Zion!

Check out this dunk:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/16-year-old-threw-down-dunk-that-easily-would%E2%80%99ve-won-nba-dunk-contest/ar-BBzd6L5?li=BBnba9I

I agree, that dunk was better than anything that happened in the NBA dunk contest this year.

MChambers
04-02-2017, 07:52 PM
Washington Post with a short piece on Williamson:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/04/02/teen-zion-williamson-picks-up-kentucky-offer-throws-down-vicious-one-handed-dunk/?utm_term=.9f90bdfa50b3

kAzE
04-02-2017, 08:00 PM
More Zion highlights:

https://youtu.be/BusVuoP1TLY

After watching that, all other mixtape dunks seem pretty tame. Pretty sure we haven't seen a guy with this level physicality and athleticism since LeBron.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-02-2017, 09:05 PM
I agree, that dunk was better than anything that happened in the NBA dunk contest this year.
C'mon... nothing could top Gordon's drone dunk. :rolleyes:

Troublemaker
04-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Cam Reddish yesterday, Zion Williamson today

Chip Miller‏ @BLUEChip_Miller (https://twitter.com/BLUEChip_Miller) 3h3 hours ago (https://twitter.com/BLUEChip_Miller/status/850734188496134144)
Duke was three deep on Friday during a visit with Westtown School (PA) 2018 five-star guard Cameron Reddish (@camreddish (https://twitter.com/camreddish)), per @ASlater247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247).

Adam Rowe‏ @AdamRoweTDD (https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD) Apr 7 (https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/status/850340131047387137)
#Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash) coaches visiting 2018's #1 player, Zion Williamson (@ZionW32 (https://twitter.com/ZionW32)) Saturday

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C85z14YU0AAiX2B.jpg

BD80
04-08-2017, 02:56 PM
And ol' roy is happily puttering around some golf course ...

brlftz
04-08-2017, 04:41 PM
For once I'd say he's earned it

topps coach
04-09-2017, 09:39 AM
http://247sports.com/player/zion-williamson-85997

Don't know how much stock you put into the CB, but Duke leads at 60% as of now. Obviously it's still early, but I also seem to remember reading he grew up a Duke fan. Not that that means much, but it can't really hurt. He would get a great get, especially if he played D anything like Nate James!
Zion plays for my son in the summer.Great kid but it is unlikely that he leaves SC

FadedTackyShirt
04-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Zion plays for my son in the summer.Great kid but it is unlikely that he leaves SC

Interesting...South Carolina over Clemson?

topps coach
04-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Interesting...South Carolina over Clemson?
SC probably hope I am wrong.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-09-2017, 11:02 AM
And ol' roy is happily puttering around some golf course ...
Apparently he visited Zion right after the tourney was over and showed off his ring collection. It's always all about Roy...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/charlotteobserver.relaymedia.com/amp/sports/high-school/preps-blog/article143590884.html

Does Duke have rings made for everything like ol Roy seems to do?

gofurman
04-09-2017, 11:15 AM

Tell him to push Duke. !!! If that's legal. I think advocating a school is

topps coach
04-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Tell him to push Duke. !!! If that's legal. I think advocating a school is
If he does not he is out of the will lol

luburch
04-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Apparently he visited Zion right after the tourney was over and showed off his ring collection. It's always all about Roy...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/charlotteobserver.relaymedia.com/amp/sports/high-school/preps-blog/article143590884.html

Does Duke have rings made for everything like ol Roy seems to do?

He visited Romeo Langford as well per the Indy Star.

FadedTackyShirt
04-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Like Langford's game a lot. Some intriguing 2018 options in Zion, Langford, and Cameron Reddish.

ChillinDuke
04-10-2017, 10:52 AM
<snip>

I'll talk you off the ledge...

<snip>

To further talk you off the ledge, I think more players than ever are "Duke guys" in the sense that they are keeping their academics up. It takes a while to change a culture. Pre-OAD and even in the early years of OAD, the culture of top recruits was less academically focused. For better or for worse, some kids just cared about hoops and their grades stunk. Now OAD is basically a fully-baked concept, and the culture surrounding HS hoops/recruits has changed. Kids are keeping their grades up more than they used to in order to give them more flexibility where they can spend their (possibly one) years of college. Even further, Duke is better recognized now as an accepted landing place for OAD recruits, again for better or for worse. So I think you're seeing more kids that are able to get into Duke academically as well as more kids that would consider Duke for their (again possibly one year) college experience.

It's not surprising that you'd see more Top-10 offers than you are used to, especially thinking back 5 or 10 years.

- Chillin

MCFinARL
04-11-2017, 09:26 AM

The articles linked on the front page yesterday are interesting. One features a long interview with Zion's dad, who sounds like he is strongly pushing Zion to stay in state--at SC, Clemson, or even Wofford--because, as he says, "North Carolina and Duke and all those schools, those stories have been written, and all you can do is add a chapter or a page to that. But these schools in South Carolina, those stories are not completed yet."

Another article is Zion's blog, in which he describes in-home visits from UNC and Duke in enthusiastic detail and mentions South Carolina only briefly. Of course, it may be that Frank Martin did not recently make an in-home visit, and that is the only reason for the difference.

yancem
04-12-2017, 12:00 PM
The articles linked on the front page yesterday are interesting. One features a long interview with Zion's dad, who sounds like he is strongly pushing Zion to stay in state--at SC, Clemson, or even Wofford--because, as he says, "North Carolina and Duke and all those schools, those stories have been written, and all you can do is add a chapter or a page to that. But these schools in South Carolina, those stories are not completed yet."

Another article is Zion's blog, in which he describes in-home visits from UNC and Duke in enthusiastic detail and mentions South Carolina only briefly. Of course, it may be that Frank Martin did not recently make an in-home visit, and that is the only reason for the difference.

I do worry about the effect of SC's F4 run (and beating Duke) but everything I have read has been that Zion has always been a big Duke fan. Will be interesting to see how the recruitment goes.

sagegrouse
04-12-2017, 12:19 PM

I do worry about the effect of SC's F4 run (and beating Duke) but everything I have read has been that Zion has always been a big Duke fan. Will be interesting to see how the recruitment goes.

I hate to personalize posts, but I well remember my "college decision days" in South Carolina back in the day. I had one clear objective: " I AM OUT OF HERE!!!!" As in "Hell, No" to Clemson, South Carolina and The Citadel. We'll see what wave length Zion is on.

Kindly,
Sage

flyingdutchdevil
04-12-2017, 04:10 PM

Totally respect that. But as a clear OAD, is he serious? Ask Fultz and Simmons how adding a chapter to UW and LSU worked out.

MCFinARL
04-12-2017, 04:51 PM
Totally respect that. But as a clear OAD, is he serious? Ask Fultz and Simmons how adding a chapter to UW and LSU worked out.

It's a good question. That being said, South Carolina, at least, had a good tournament run this year, so it might be a slightly more appealing option than UW or LSU.

And of course it's impossible to know how much of what either the kids or the parents say is what they really think and how much is for media consumption.

gam7
04-12-2017, 05:18 PM
It's a good question. That being said, South Carolina, at least, had a good tournament run this year, so it might be a slightly more appealing option than UW or LSU.

And of course it's impossible to know how much of what either the kids or the parents say is what they really think and how much is for media consumption.

Also, it's worth noting that Fultz and Simmons made their decisions based on the coaches at the schools they ultimately attended and didn't have any geographic attachment with the people or schools in those communities. This sounds a lot more like the draw for Zion is based on the community and geography. I think there's a meaningful distinction there.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-12-2017, 05:26 PM

I think Simmons did exactly what he intended and it worked out pretty much like he planned.

Olympic Fan
04-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Williamson was just on the ESPNU studio set for the signing day special (Spartanburg is just over an hour's drive from the ESPNU studio in Charlotte).

He said that he is taking things slowly and it's still very early in the process -- he said that he doesn't even have a preliminary list yet.

He was asked what the in-state schools were telling him and he said somebody told him to be to South Carolina what LeBron is to Cleveland.

One interesting thing -- they showed some of his best dunks, but talked about one I have not seen before -- in pregame warmups, he throws the ball up against the back wall and dunks off that. Of course, you could only do that in a high school gym, not in a major stadium. Still impressive.

Sandman
04-12-2017, 07:07 PM
I hate to personalize posts, but I well remember my "college decision days" in South Carolina back in the day. I had one clear objective: " I AM OUT OF HERE!!!!" As in "Hell, No" to Clemson, South Carolina and The Citadel. We'll see what wave length Zion is on.

Kindly,
Sage

As a "son" of South Carolina, I, too, remember "decision day" way back in '57. Carolina (ALWAYS SC in those days) and The Citadel were easy to eliminate, even with scholarships -- Clemson, not so much, with a full ride for a Ceramics Eng program, but could not resist the Duke pull when financial help was offered, though I'd never seen the place or known anyone who had. Plus it was not in South Carolina. Loved/hated it from first sight! With age, hopefully has come wisdom, and today I'm firmly and happily rooted in Sandlapper soil for the duration.

Indoor66
04-12-2017, 07:49 PM
With age, hopefully has come wisdom, and today I'm firmly and happily rooted in Sandlapper soil for the duration.

Does that mean that you are rooted until you are planted?

devildeac
04-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Does that mean that you are rooted until you are planted?

Could mean you are roofed until you are ceilinged. :p

FadedTackyShirt
04-12-2017, 08:52 PM

Arizona
Duke
Kansas
Kentucky
UCLA
USC

Bagley may be a factor in Chase Jeter's transfer destination. UCLA, USC, and Arizona are all in the mix for both and Chase may not want to compete for minutes with Bagley following a transfer redshirt season.

mdj
04-13-2017, 01:07 AM

Kindly,
Sage

Kinda funny that there's a discussion about whether a kid should leave SC for NC when 90% of the country would have a hard time distinguishing between the two.

Indoor66
04-13-2017, 07:36 AM
Kinda funny that there's a discussion about whether a kid should leave SC for NC when 90% of the country would have a hard time distinguishing between the two.

And most of them think they are all Troglodytes.

Troublemaker
04-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Cameron Reddish on his in-home visit from Duke and Coach K (http://www.madehoops.com/news_article/show/780924?referrer_id=1272156):

“He is legendary so about ten minutes into the meeting I was saying to myself, ‘wow this is crazy he is really in my house right now,’ said Reddish. “I tried to soak up all the knowledge I possibly could from him. He has a lot of great information so I made sure to listen to everything he had to say.”

Pghdukie
04-19-2017, 10:09 AM
Shaq's son commits to Arizona

Troublemaker
04-22-2017, 09:43 AM
AAU season has started. We've had coaches appear in both Dallas (Adidas circuit) and Hampton (Nike) to watch recruits.

Eric Bossi‏ (https://twitter.com/ebosshoops)
Verified account @ebosshoops (https://twitter.com/ebosshoops) 15h15 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ebosshoops/status/855557910138585089)
Coach K, Bill Self, Frank Martin plus assts from Clemson, L'Ville, UK, Vandy, UNC & more as we wait for Zion Williamson v Romeo Langford

Wayne Gooch‏ @Bluedevilsreign (https://twitter.com/Bluedevilsreign) 16m16 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Bluedevilsreign/status/855774754485043201)
Coach K and Coach Scheyer here at Hampton Nike #EYBL (https://twitter.com/hashtag/EYBL?src=hash). Getting ready to watch Darius Garland.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-22-2017, 12:30 PM
AAU season has started. We've had coaches appear in both Dallas (Adidas circuit) and Hampton (Nike) to watch recruits.

Eric Bossi‏ (https://twitter.com/ebosshoops)
Verified account @ebosshoops (https://twitter.com/ebosshoops) 15h15 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ebosshoops/status/855557910138585089)
Coach K, Bill Self, Frank Martin plus assts from Clemson, L'Ville, UK, Vandy, UNC & more as we wait for Zion Williamson v Romeo Langford

Wayne Gooch‏ @Bluedevilsreign (https://twitter.com/Bluedevilsreign) 16m16 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Bluedevilsreign/status/855774754485043201)
Coach K and Coach Scheyer here at Hampton Nike #EYBL (https://twitter.com/hashtag/EYBL?src=hash). Getting ready to watch Darius Garland.

I am impressed our coaches can get between Dallas and Hampton in an hour and one minute!

Pghdukie
04-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Going from CST to EST to boot !

Troublemaker
04-22-2017, 05:13 PM
Blue Devil Nation‏ @BlueDevilNation (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilNation) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilNation/status/855865048937496576)
Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski watched all of Cameron Reddish's game at the Nike EYBL today. @camreddish (https://twitter.com/camreddish) He is a big time prospect.

Blue Devil Nation‏ @BlueDevilNation (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilNation) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilNation/status/855866839427158016)
Jon Scheyer checked out part of Marvin Bagley III game, but his team is 0-2 and in major need of a win tonight.

Blue Devil Nation‏ @BlueDevilNation (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilNation) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilNation/status/855865291129204738)
Tre Jones went off today in front of Mike Krzzyewski and Jon Scheyer - 32 points, 10 assists and 7 rebounds leading Howard Pulley.

Troublemaker
04-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello (https://twitter.com/jeffborzello) 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/855917465661919232)
Duke watching five-star 2018 center Moses Brown for the second day in a row. Blue Devils have not offered yet.

That puts us in NYC (Under Armour) as well, in addition to Dallas and Hampton. Moses Brown could be the center prospect we eventually offer in 2018.

Troublemaker
04-24-2017, 09:44 PM
Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello (https://twitter.com/jeffborzello) 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/855917465661919232)
Duke watching five-star 2018 center Moses Brown for the second day in a row. Blue Devils have not offered yet.

That puts us in NYC (Under Armour) as well, in addition to Dallas and Hampton. Moses Brown could be the center prospect we eventually offer in 2018.

Nope. The first 2018 center with a Duke offer is 6'10" 280-lb David McCormack, who plays for Oak Hill. He's ranked #44 in the 247 composite rankings (their version of RSCI).

Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello (https://twitter.com/jeffborzello) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/856657423590801408)
Duke has offered ESPN 60 center David McCormack.

Andrew Slater‏ @ASlater247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/856656603046608896)
#Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash) has offered 6'10" David McCormack of @teamloadedaau (https://twitter.com/teamloadedaau)

DavidBenAkiva
04-24-2017, 11:17 PM
Nope. The first 2018 center with a Duke offer is 6'10" 280-lb David McCormack, who plays for Oak Hill. He's ranked #44 in the 247 composite rankings (their version of RSCI).

Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello (https://twitter.com/jeffborzello) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/856657423590801408)
Duke has offered ESPN 60 center David McCormack.

Andrew Slater‏ @ASlater247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/856656603046608896)
#Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash) has offered 6'10" David McCormack of @teamloadedaau (https://twitter.com/teamloadedaau)

I figured we were going to offer a Top 50 Center/Forward (or both) in 2018. Vrankovic will be a senior and Bolden might be a junior that year. Either way, the team would do well to have a guy or two that can spend a year getting in shape, developing, and getting ready for 2019 and beyond. McCormack is a big kid. 6'10" and listed at 280 pounds.

devildeac
04-24-2017, 11:25 PM
I figured we were going to offer a Top 50 Center/Forward (or both) in 2018. Vrankovic will be a senior and Bolden might be a junior that year. Either way, the team would do well to have a guy or two that can spend a year getting in shape, developing, and getting ready for 2019 and beyond. McCormack is a big kid. 6'10" and listed at 280 pounds.

That's a big fella! If he doesn't work out at CIS, Cut could use him in WW on the DL. :rolleyes::o