PDA

View Full Version : Football tactical question

OldPhiKap
09-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Georgia Tech's offense is basically known for two things (to my simple mind at least): the option, and utilizing the chop-block technique.

My question: is chop-blocking an integral part of the option, or is that just the way they elect to block?

Note that I am not trying to start a debate about the legality of what happens -- I will assume for this question that there is no illegal chop-blocking while a defender is otherwise engaged (or whatever the rule is). It seems that the method employed causes a high level of leg injuries, and thus my question is whether it is necessary to the option or not.

Dumb question, but thanks.

BigWayne
09-25-2015, 02:32 AM
Georgia Tech's offense is basically known for two things (to my simple mind at least): the option, and utilizing the chop-block technique.

My question: is chop-blocking an integral part of the option, or is that just the way they elect to block?

Note that I am not trying to start a debate about the legality of what happens -- I will assume for this question that there is no illegal chop-blocking while a defender is otherwise engaged (or whatever the rule is). It seems that the method employed causes a high level of leg injuries, and thus my question is whether it is necessary to the option or not.

Opinions on this vary by which side you are on. Cutcliffe and Johnson verbally sparred on it two years ago. (http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/georgia-tech/2013/sep/17/johnson-defends-cut-blocking/)

Chop blocks are illegal. What GT is accused of is cut blocking, mostly on LBs and DBs.

CDu
09-25-2015, 08:22 AM

As noted, technically it is cut-blocking and not chop-blocking. And it is not integral to their scheme, just their preferred approach.

Jarhead
09-25-2015, 10:31 AM
As noted, technically it is cut-blocking and not chop-blocking. And it is not integral to their scheme, just their preferred approach.
Cut-blocking, and chop-blocking? What difference does it make? I guess a knife is used in cut-blocking, and an axe is used in chop-blocking.

Olympic Fan
09-25-2015, 11:11 AM
Cut-blocking, and chop-blocking? What difference does it make? I guess a knife is used in cut-blocking, and an axe is used in chop-blocking.

The difference is that chop blocking is defined by the rules as when a defensive player is engaged by one blocker high and a second blocker cuts him low. That is illegal.

Cut blocking is simply a block below the waist. Tuesday at his press conference, Coach Cut said he'd hate to see blocking below the waist eliminated from college football.