PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Duke - Need help

kriggins79
09-23-2015, 12:07 PM
First time posting so please excuse me if this isn't posted in the correct forum...

I have a cousin getting married in NC in October and my wife and I are making the trip from Indiana. I'm an avid Duke fan and coming to visit the campus has been on my bucket list, of course I wish it was to see a game. I will be visiting on a Friday, so my question is, how accessible is Cameron Indoor to the general public? In order to visit Cameron do I need to contact someone ahead of time? Any help or suggestions that you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

uh_no
09-23-2015, 01:19 PM
nothing against OP, but perhaps it's time for a sticky on visiting campus as similar questions get asked many times throughout the year.

duke blue brewcrew
09-23-2015, 01:34 PM
First time posting so please excuse me if this isn't posted in the correct forum...

I have a cousin getting married in NC in October and my wife and I are making the trip from Indiana. I'm an avid Duke fan and coming to visit the campus has been on my bucket list, of course I wish it was to see a game. I will be visiting on a Friday, so my question is, how accessible is Cameron Indoor to the general public? In order to visit Cameron do I need to contact someone ahead of time? Any help or suggestions that you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

I saw this in the Off-Topic threads, maybe it will help some:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?36272-Duke-visit

devildeac
09-23-2015, 03:03 PM
We have this, too, thanks to Devil84, -jk, Native and some ne'er-do-well:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=page&template=DBRVisit

(found on Resources link above, go to DBR Visitor's Bureau)

OldPhiKap
09-23-2015, 04:12 PM

Welcome, I hope you come back to post on other topics that interest you as well.

In addition to the above, you can also check goduke.com and see if there is something scheduled in Cameron -- women's volleyball comes to mind -- where you can go in for free and sit in the stands and take the scene in. At least, that's always been the case unless something has changed.

Visit Cameron, see the attached trophy hall, pop into Wallace Wade (right next to Cameron), and I hope you can take in the Chapel as well. Above all, walk around and enjoy!

nyesq83
09-23-2015, 04:24 PM
I would suggest going to "GoDuke.com" and checking the all-sports calendar.

You might even want to download the schedule to your favorite data management interface device, phone or tablet.

Even if there are no basketball games or open practices at your time of visit, you might catch a DU women's volleyball game (likely free admission) or some other activity and thereby be able to get into Cameron.

With the construction on the west side of the stadium, there might be a limit on opportunities to enter the building this year, however.

Get the number from GoDuke.com and call the sports information office, tell them when you would be in town.

Also, check to see if it is Homecoming or another "special" weekend. That might increase or decrease your ability to make yourself at home and be wacky near BroFiWaWa (my new name for Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium - or crazy in CameronIndoorSanitarium.

These are a few of my instant suggestions without checking the links hereinabove.

Have fun, good luck, and safe travels.

dukelifer
09-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Welcome, I hope you come back to post on other topics that interest you as well.

In addition to the above, you can also check goduke.com and see if there is something scheduled in Cameron -- women's volleyball comes to mind -- where you can go in for free and sit in the stands and take the scene in. At least, that's always been the case unless something has changed.

Visit Cameron, see the attached trophy hall, pop into Wallace Wade (right next to Cameron), and I hope you can take in the Chapel as well. Above all, walk around and enjoy!

You should know that the inside of the Chapel is closed for the year and the outside has a lot of scaffolding around it.

DDoc74
09-23-2015, 11:11 PM
(I have no financial relationship with the WDI)
My family will usually "drop by" the campus if we are driving south to SC or Fla on vacation
We have loved the accommodations at the Washington Duke Inn which is literally "across the street" from the west campus by the sports complex. It is a favorite. My perception of cost may be somewhat skewed as we live outside NYC but I feel it is very reasonable and you can simply walk on campus from there. And who knows who you might run into there...
Hope you have a nice trip

OldPhiKap
09-24-2015, 06:54 AM
(I have no financial relationship with the WDI)
My family will usually "drop by" the campus if we are driving south to SC or Fla on vacation
We have loved the accommodations at the Washington Duke Inn which is literally "across the street" from the west campus by the sports complex. It is a favorite. My perception of cost may be somewhat skewed as we live outside NYC but I feel it is very reasonable and you can simply walk on campus from there. And who knows who you might run into there...
Hope you have a nice trip

Absolutely agree, if you can stay at the Washington Duke it is THE choice. Easy walk to Cameron/Wally Wade, and The rest of the (West, gothic) campus is just beyond.

East campus is very pretty too -- older, brick, more like UVa's campus -- and there are shuttle buses from the bus stop in the center of campus. I assume they are still available to everyone, not just students?

Native
09-24-2015, 08:09 AM
...how accessible is Cameron Indoor to the general public? In order to visit Cameron do I need to contact someone ahead of time? Any help or suggestions that you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Last year's Head Line Monitor of K-Ville chiming in. Cameron is usually open during the days unless a team practice or some setup is going on. Fair warning: if you're visiting on Friday the 16th — the before Countdown to Craziness, our annual basketball season kickoff event which is on the 17th of October this year — it will likely be closed due to setup for the event.

Definitely check out the Hall of Fame in the Schwartz-Butters building adjacent to Cameron — there's some very cool history there. It's open with even greater frequency than Cameron.

Have fun on your visit!

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-24-2015, 08:10 AM
Absolutely agree, if you can stay at the Washington Duke it is THE choice. Easy walk to Cameron/Wally Wade, and The rest of the (West, gothic) campus is just beyond.

East campus is very pretty too -- older, brick, more like UVa's campus -- and there are shuttle buses from the bus stop in the center of campus. I assume they are still available to everyone, not just students?
If you happen to be a golfer, I'll put in a plug for the Duke course. Clubhouse is right there at the WaDuke and it's a really fantastic Robert Trent Jones course that was updated by Rees in the early 90s.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-24-2015, 08:12 AM
By the way, even if you don;t stay at the WaDuke, it's worth grabbing a bite at some point at the Bull Durham bar off the main lobby. Great ambiance, great views, great food.

kriggins79
09-24-2015, 01:12 PM
Last year's Head Line Monitor of K-Ville chiming in. Cameron is usually open during the days unless a team practice or some setup is going on. Fair warning: if you're visiting on Friday the 16th — the before Countdown to Craziness, our annual basketball season kickoff event which is on the 17th of October this year — it will likely be closed due to setup for the event.

Definitely check out the Hall of Fame in the Schwartz-Butters building adjacent to Cameron — there's some very cool history there. It's open with even greater frequency than Cameron.

Have fun on your visit!

Yes, it will be Friday the 16th when I make it into Durham. I hadn't thought about when Countdown was so that definitely stinks. I guess I'll just have to take my chances.

Thank you for all of the advice and suggestions. Sorry again to not have posted this in the correct location. My wife and I are anxious to visit. Being from Indiana (and very close to Louisville, KY), we hear all kinds of crap from IU, Louisville and UK fans when we proudly wear our Duke gear. Even if Cameron is closed for the day, I'll still be a kid in a candy store just visiting campus and checking out the Hall of Fame.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Yes, it will be Friday the 16th when I make it into Durham. I hadn't thought about when Countdown was so that definitely stinks. I guess I'll just have to take my chances.

Thank you for all of the advice and suggestions. Sorry again to not have posted this in the correct location. My wife and I are anxious to visit. Being from Indiana (and very close to Louisville, KY), we hear all kinds of crap from IU, Louisville and UK fans when we proudly wear our Duke gear. Even if Cameron is closed for the day, I'll still be a kid in a candy store just visiting campus and checking out the Hall of Fame.

Don't forget Wallace Wade Stadium which is just a few steps from Cameron. It's still under renovation but you can see some wonderful changes already in place.