PDA

View Full Version : Sure signs that Duke football is popular and here to stay

MarkD83
09-22-2015, 12:24 PM
1. It is almost the end of Sept. and there are quite a few threads on DBR discussing Duke football
2. There have been very few (if any) threads discussing the basketball team's practices and pick-up games ( I hear Nick Horvath is a beast)
3. Driving into work in Richmond, VA I saw an electronic billboard advertising Duke's next home football game against Ga Tech (I almost had an accident.)

duke09hms
09-22-2015, 12:41 PM
On youtube, I was getting ads for Duke v GT

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-22-2015, 02:33 PM
How's about we played a ranked team, lost, and are surprised and ticked off?

mattman91
09-22-2015, 02:48 PM
I saw a "Wade Wacko" bumper sticker yesterday.

uh_no
09-22-2015, 06:04 PM
How's about we played a ranked team, lost, and are surprised and ticked off?

eh that's a few years coming now....how long can we use that excuse?

but then again i said we plateaued 3 years ago after not making/barely making bowls....

but hey...maybe we've plateaued!

new year, new QB...i'm happy with a bowl appearance and a BOWL WIN. but next year....

Turk
09-22-2015, 06:23 PM
Sure, those are all good signs, but we still have annual threads about how to boost attendance. Need to swap that out with some sort of "Cutcliffville" thread.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-23-2015, 01:32 AM
eh that's a few years coming now....how long can we use that excuse?

but then again i said we plateaued 3 years ago after not making/barely making bowls....

but hey...maybe we've plateaued!

new year, new QB...i'm happy with a bowl appearance and a BOWL WIN. but next year....

I think you misread my post. I see the frustration over our close loss to a ranked opponent as a sign of great progress. Not long ago, we would have lauded the effort and pointed to it as a benchmark.

duke blue brewcrew
09-23-2015, 07:51 AM
Sure, those are all good signs, but we still have annual threads about how to boost attendance. Need to swap that out with some sort of "Cutcliffville" thread.

I can't begin to tell you how happy that would make me! This program is making significant progress, there's no doubt about it. I think we all would like to see Duke take the next steps towards long term significance in football. Cultivating a football culture and fan base that rivals basketball will take some work, and I believe it's doable. The students, the alumni and the local fan base must come together as one to make that happen. Winning and great leadership of the program help, and Duke now has that in spades.

uh_no
09-23-2015, 10:29 AM
I think you misread my post. I see the frustration over our close loss to a ranked opponent as a sign of great progress. Not long ago, we would have lauded the effort and pointed to it as a benchmark.

i think you missed MY point, which is that i'm perpetually a pessimist and often wrong.