PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke vs. Georgia Tech, 9/26 12:00 pm EDT

Bob Green
09-20-2015, 03:49 PM
Georgia Tech has opened as a 10.5 points favorite in Las Vegas. Duke needs to make some offensive adjustments this week in preparation for the first ACC game of the season.

Olympic Fan
09-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Georgia Tech has opened as a 10.5 points favorite in Las Vegas. Duke needs to make some offensive adjustments this week in preparation for the first ACC game of the season.

Georgia Tech is ranked No. 20 in both the AP and Coaches' poll this week. That's the second ranked opponent in a row and very well could be the last one to visit Wade this season -- and the last one Duke faces at least until a bowl game. Miami is the only unbeaten team left on the schedule -- and they have to play at FSU, Virginia Tech and Clemson before coming to Duke.

Cut confirmed Sunday night that there were no new injuries in Saturday's game (at least none that would sideline anybody).

And just to put the challenge into context, a year ago we were coming off a 22-10 loss to Miami in which our offense looked impotent (just 264 yards total offense) and went to Atlanta and put 31 on the board against No. 22 Georgia Tech in a game we basically dominated (they scored a couple of late touchdowns to make the final score respectable).

Not saying that happens again, but if you saw the Stanford team that Northwestern shut down in week one put up 41 at Southern Cal Saturday night, you know that things can change quickly.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2015, 06:13 PM
I'll be up for this game in a few days, but damn I am ill about the Wildcat game.

"Shake off Sunday" for me. "Move Forward Monday" cannot get here soon enough.

Bob Green
09-20-2015, 06:25 PM
"Shake off Sunday" for me. "Move Forward Monday" cannot get here soon enough.

I've worked through anger and denial. Duke plays better when they are the underdog (that's bargaining).

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-20-2015, 06:35 PM
I've worked through anger and denial. Duke plays better when they are the underdog (that's bargaining).

My own sense of reality was shaken yesterday. Only after the long drive home and a good night's sleep did I begin see other aspects I hadn't focused on before.

Despite the overall upward trends of the program, this individual team is early in its own journey of becoming...... think Coach K's comments about how each player has his/her own journey and relate that to individual players as well as the team as a whole. The development of a team is not linear. We fans may sometimes see it that way, but that's not the reality of development.

There is more youth on the team than I wanted to remember.... that's youth in terms of individuals and in terms of units who play/work together.

Northwestern was far ahead of what I expected them to be.

Next Saturday will be a new day (lower tempos, rain pretty likely) and a different opponent.

Listen to Quants
09-21-2015, 05:53 PM
My own sense of reality was shaken yesterday. Only after the long drive home and a good night's sleep did I begin see other aspects I hadn't focused on before.

Despite the overall upward trends of the program, this individual team is early in its own journey of becoming...... think Coach K's comments about how each player has his/her own journey and relate that to individual players as well as the team as a whole. The development of a team is not linear. We fans may sometimes see it that way, but that's not the reality of development.

There is more youth on the team than I wanted to remember.... that's youth in terms of individuals and in terms of units who play/work together.

Northwestern was far ahead of what I expected them to be.

Next Saturday will be a new day (lower tempos, rain pretty likely) and a different opponent.

All that. AND. I suspect a quantitative look at the game makes Duke look pretty reasonable. The flukey stuff went against Duke (turnovers, Kick TD) but on a play by play basis Duke seemed to (slightly) outplay Northwestern which is indeed a good team. Football Outsider index agrees with this I think as their F+ index rating of Duke went up a tiny bit I think ) I'm not a Outsider-insider (pay) so I don't have the full assessment.

Next Week!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-21-2015, 06:43 PM
All that. AND. I suspect a quantitative look at the game makes Duke look pretty reasonable. The flukey stuff went against Duke (turnovers, Kick TD) but on a play by play basis Duke seemed to (slightly) outplay Northwestern which is indeed a good team. Football Outsider index agrees with this I think as their F+ index rating of Duke went up a tiny bit I think ) I'm not a Outsider-insider (pay) so I don't have the full assessment.

Next Week!

Coach Cutcliffe's comments after he reviewed the game tape indicates what a thorough job the Northwestern defense did dismantling our offensive efforts. I hope that analysis along with other comments from Coach Cutcliffe help those who complained about Duke's play calling understand that it wasn't the plays that were called that caused the difficulties, it's how Northwestern managed to contain our offense.... an important distinction.

Bob Green
09-22-2015, 06:04 AM
The consensus line in Vegas has Georgia Tech favored by 9.5 points with the over/under set at 57.5 points. Our defense successfully stopped the GT offense in Atlanta last year so I am optimistic they can do it again this Saturday. They need help from the offense who has to sustain drives and score points. Coach Cutcliffe stated on Sunday a key to playing Georgia Tech is keeping your offense on the field.

oldnavy
09-22-2015, 06:55 AM
Coach Cutcliffe's comments after he reviewed the game tape indicates what a thorough job the Northwestern defense did dismantling our offensive efforts. I hope that analysis along with other comments from Coach Cutcliffe help those who complained about Duke's play calling understand that it wasn't the plays that were called that caused the difficulties, it's how Northwestern managed to contain our offense.... an important distinction.

I agree that NW played a good defensive game Saturday, however I will have to disagree that our own lack of adjustment didn't factor in.

Once it became pretty clear that we were not breaking down the NW defense with our play calling we should have tried something else on offense. I expected us to come out in the second half and mix up the play calling a bit, but unless I totally missed it, we basically ran the same plays over and over. Not once did I see anything that looked like a misdirection or counter play against a pretty aggressive defensive scheme.

Did NW play a good defensive game? Yes. Did we do anything to adjust to test them in other areas? Not that I saw.

duke blue brewcrew
09-22-2015, 10:14 AM
The consensus line in Vegas has Georgia Tech favored by 9.5 points with the over/under set at 57.5 points. Our defense successfully stopped the GT offense in Atlanta last year so I am optimistic they can do it again this Saturday. They need help from the offense who has to sustain drives and score points. Coach Cutcliffe stated on Sunday a key to playing Georgia Tech is keeping your offense on the field.

DevilDeac shared this in another thread, but it's worth posting here too: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22 Based on last week's match-up with the Irish, Ga Tech has played a slightly tougher schedule than the Blue Devils so far this season. That said, Duke is #8 in the country so far in Total Defense, and Ga Tech is #38. Duke and GT have a common opponent with Tulane, and GT put up a stout 65-10 W on the Green Wave. It should be a very interesting match-up with both teams licking wounds from Week 3, and staring down tough match-ups in Week 5. Who will be .500 and who will be 3-1 heading into next week?

Bob Green
09-22-2015, 04:12 PM
We will know more when the injury report hits the street on Thursday. So far, the following is confirmed:

* Qua Searcy (A Back) is out.
* Michael Summers (WR) is out.
* Tim Byerly (QB) is out having elected to have season ending surgery.

The following players have a TBD status (they left the Notre Dame game with injuries):

* Broderick Snoddy (A Back)
* Freddie Burden (C)
* Rod Rook-Chungong (DE)

Olympic Fan
09-22-2015, 05:05 PM
We will know more when the injury report hits the street on Thursday. So far, the following is confirmed:

* Qua Searcy (A Back) is out.
* Michael Summers (WR) is out.
* Tim Byerly (QB) is out having elected to have season ending surgery.

The following players have a TBD status (they left the Notre Dame game with injuries):

* Broderick Snoddy (A Back)
* Freddie Burden (C)
* Rod Rook-Chungong (DE)

(1) Byerly played a big role in last year's game. He was the guy who came in after Duke stuffed the option and almost brought them back with his passing -- 125 yards in the fourth quarter.

(2) Burden is their starting center and is a key part of their O-line. If he can't play, that hurts them up front.

(3) Summers was supposed to step up and be a key receiver for them, but so far, none of the receivers has looked that good.

(4) Snoddy is just about their most experienced running back ... and maybe the fastest on the outside. But if he's out, they do have other good options.

JetpackJesus
09-22-2015, 07:31 PM
(3) Summers was supposed to step up and be a key receiver for them, but so far, none of the receivers has looked that good.

Thanks for the insight on the injuries. I was curious about the quoted point. Have we seen enough from GT's passing game to actually know anything about their WRs? I haven't watched GTs games so maybe you've actually seen something, but I was curious because GT box scores look so funny with the triple option.

GT had 5 pass attempts in game 1 and 10 pass attempts in game 2. GT had 30 attempts in game 3, but I imagine that was a function of playing from behind against ND for pretty much the entire game (like the Duke game last year). GT has 20 total completions for 330 yards on the season so far.

As I was looking at the stats, I also noticed Sirk has 25 more completions than GT has pass attempts. I don't think this means anything, but it's just another interesting stat line from a triple-option team.

Olympic Fan
09-23-2015, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the insight on the injuries. I was curious about the quoted point. Have we seen enough from GT's passing game to actually know anything about their WRs? I haven't watched GTs games so maybe you've actually seen something, but I was curious because GT box scores look so funny with the triple option.

GT had 5 pass attempts in game 1 and 10 pass attempts in game 2. GT had 30 attempts in game 3, but I imagine that was a function of playing from behind against ND for pretty much the entire game (like the Duke game last year). GT has 20 total completions for 330 yards on the season so far.

As I was looking at the stats, I also noticed Sirk has 25 more completions than GT has pass attempts. I don't think this means anything, but it's just another interesting stat line from a triple-option team.

Obviously, Paul Johnson's offense is built around the running game -- the triple option. But in his good years, Tech has always had at least one great pass receiver. They don't throw often (about 15 attempts a game last year), but they are usually very effective.

A year ago, DeAndre Smelter caught 35 passes for 715 yards (20.4 yards per catch) and seven touchdowns. He was second team All-ACC by the coaches. In recent years they've had a ton of great wide outs -- remember Demaryous Thomas.

Summers was supposed to step up and replace Smelter, but his numbers (five catches in three games for 74 yards) leave something to be desired.

I actually think Burden -- if out -- is the biggest lost. Snoddy is good, but they can replace him. Summers still has to prove himself.

I agree that it's a bit early to read too much into Tech's numbers. They've had two patsy wins (Alcorn State and Tulane) and the one tough loss against a top 10 opponent. As you might expect, Tech was more effective throwing in the two pushover games -- even though they threw just 15 times in those two games -- than in the loss to Notre dame, when they threw 30 times, but not effectively. That's normal -- when Tech has the running game going, they can be deadly with the surprise pass ... when they have to pass, they are not usually that effective.

JetpackJesus
09-23-2015, 04:59 PM
Obviously, Paul Johnson's offense is built around the running game -- the triple option. But in his good years, Tech has always had at least one great pass receiver. They don't throw often (about 15 attempts a game last year), but they are usually very effective.

A year ago, DeAndre Smelter caught 35 passes for 715 yards (20.4 yards per catch) and seven touchdowns. He was second team All-ACC by the coaches. In recent years they've had a ton of great wide outs -- remember Demaryous Thomas.

Summers was supposed to step up and replace Smelter, but his numbers (five catches in three games for 74 yards) leave something to be desired.

I actually think Burden -- if out -- is the biggest lost. Snoddy is good, but they can replace him. Summers still has to prove himself.

I agree that it's a bit early to read too much into Tech's numbers. They've had two patsy wins (Alcorn State and Tulane) and the one tough loss against a top 10 opponent. As you might expect, Tech was more effective throwing in the two pushover games -- even though they threw just 15 times in those two games -- than in the loss to Notre dame, when they threw 30 times, but not effectively. That's normal -- when Tech has the running game going, they can be deadly with the surprise pass ... when they have to pass, they are not usually that effective.

Thanks for the reply and the further insight.

Bob Green
09-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Nice read on Georgia Tech blocking issues:

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-tech-must-boost-its-blocking/nnmGq/?icmp=ajc_internallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

The Jackets expect Duke’s defense will tweak that same game plan with some wrinkles gleaned from what Notre Dame did.

“They will probably have a better idea how to play us than Notre Dame did,” tackle Bryan Chamberlain said. “It’ll probably be just as big as a challenge.”

duke blue brewcrew
09-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Nice read on Georgia Tech blocking issues:

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-tech-must-boost-its-blocking/nnmGq/?icmp=ajc_internallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

The core of that defense returns in defensive linemen A.J. Wolf and Carlos Wray, and linebacker Jeremy Cash.

This quote caught my eye and made me laugh a little bit. I know Jeremy has run and blitz responsibilities, and is the 7th man in the box, but he's on Duke's roster and every award watch list known to man as a Safety.

devildeac
09-24-2015, 10:32 AM
This quote caught my eye and made me laugh a little bit. I know Jeremy has run and blitz responsibilities, and is the 7th man in the box, but he's on Duke's roster and every award watch list known to man as a Safety.

Cut don't play/designate no (stinkin') positions;).

Bob Green
09-24-2015, 10:50 AM

grad_devil
09-24-2015, 11:11 AM
Jela Duncan cleared for Saturday's game. WOO!

https://twitter.com/laurakeeley

duke blue brewcrew
09-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Jela Duncan cleared for Saturday's game. WOO!

https://twitter.com/laurakeeley

AWESOME NEWS!!! Having Jela back can only help Duke's ball control & time of possession. Those aren't the only key ingredients to a W against GT on Saturday, but two good ones for sure.

johnb
09-24-2015, 11:47 AM
(4) Snoddy is just about their most experienced running back ... and maybe the fastest on the outside. But if he's out, they do have other good options.

I read somewhere that GT has 22 current and former running backs (!) on their roster, so I agree that they'll have good options (so to speak).

OldPhiKap
09-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Great to hear that Jela is available. Let's Go DUKE!

johnb
09-24-2015, 11:52 AM
it wasn't the plays that were called that caused the difficulties, it's how Northwestern managed to contain our offense.... an important distinction.

This seems to be the party line, and it's time for the next game, but this rationale seems disingenuous. If the game plan isn't working, and Cut is an offensive genius, then it seems like we should have a plan B. And don't get me started on the punting (ie, great talent, subpar game management). At the same time, it wasn't long ago when we were getting embarrassed by elite teams and now we're playing ranked teams close enough that a few plays make the difference in a game... I'm eager to see how it flies on Saturday.

jimsumner
09-24-2015, 11:59 AM
The rain probability for Saturday is up to 80 percent.

Get ready for a slog fest.

Then again, no one can complain about sun burn.

Bob Green
09-24-2015, 12:02 PM

Have Poncho, Will Travel!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-24-2015, 12:15 PM

While visiting New Orleans for the TUlane (note the emphasis on the first syllable) game, I purchased a stylish pair of rain boots just for special occasions like this.

Indoor66
09-24-2015, 12:28 PM
While visiting New Orleans for the TUlane (note the emphasis on the first syllable) game, I purchased a stylish pair of rain boots just for special occasions like this.

Are they Pantone 289!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Are they Pantone 289!

There are hints of that color in the riotous paisley and floral print. The shop where I found them, Fleurty Girl in the French Quarter, carries a small, but ever changing stock. I'll be modeling them during the tailgate party and Devil Walk.... and if it rains as much as the prediction indicates, I may be wearing them to Mary Dinkins' retirement party Friday night!

devildeac
09-24-2015, 01:02 PM

Weather Channel quoted 100% this am for Saturday. :(

I've heard beer sales are better in the rain.:rolleyes:

devildeac
09-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Are they Pantone 289!

I thought Duke "blue" was Pantone 287. Of course, it's changed so many times since the "dark" ages:rolleyes:.

duke blue brewcrew
09-24-2015, 01:15 PM
I thought Duke "blue" was Pantone 287. Of course, it's changed so many times since the "dark" ages:rolleyes:.

According to the Duke Style Guide, for print materials it's Pantone 287 or 288.

http://styleguide.duke.edu/identity/color-palette/

94duke
09-24-2015, 01:17 PM

Yes, 287.
Prussian Blue was designated in 1965.

http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/uarchives/history/articles/duke-blue

RepoMan
09-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Who does the rain favor?

jimsumner
09-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Who does the rain favor?

Good question. I think if my offense was predicate on pitching the ball to a running back while being hit, I would prefer a dry football.

Of course, I would also want a dry football for forward passes. Then again, there's a school of thought that a wet field favors a passing team because a receiver knows when and where he's going to make a cut and the defender does not.

And this time last week, we were all thinking that a hot day would help Duke over Northwestern.

So, there's that.

duke blue brewcrew
09-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Good question. I think if my offense was predicate on pitching the ball to a running back while being hit, I would prefer a dry football.

Of course, I would also want a dry football for forward passes. Then again, there's a school of thought that a wet field favors a passing team because a receiver knows when and where he's going to make a cut and the defender does not.

And this time last week, we were all thinking that a hot day would help Duke over Northwestern.

So, there's that.

Clear as mud, thanks as always Jim! ;)

devildeac
09-24-2015, 01:45 PM
Glad we got the black unis this Saturday as they'll disguise the mud and grass stains better:rolleyes:.

devildeac
09-24-2015, 01:54 PM
According to the Duke Style Guide, for print materials it's Pantone 287 or 288.

http://styleguide.duke.edu/identity/color-palette/

Yes, 287.
Prussian Blue was designated in 1965.

http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/uarchives/history/articles/duke-blue

Day-yumm. There's 9 different Pantone 287s:

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/colorfinder.aspx

(please ignore "attached images" because I can't attach anything to this post:o

Indoor66
09-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Day-yumm. There's 9 different Pantone 287s:

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/colorfinder.aspx

(please ignore "attached images" because I can't attach anything to this post:o

With these old eyes I can't tell one from another. At least I don't have to hear on this board, that would be a personal disaster! :mad::cool:

PDDuke85
09-24-2015, 03:12 PM

So, there's that.

With the new turf at Wallace Wade, I wonder aloud if a wet football will be more of an issue than the playing surface.

richmclean
09-24-2015, 04:33 PM
Sports Illustrated lists the game as one of 5 to watch for upsets:

http://fansided.com/2015/09/24/college-football-5-teams-upset-alert-week-4/3/

Avvocato
09-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Below is from espn.com's ACC blog. There didn't appear to be a direct link to the story, so I thought it might be easier to cut and paste it.

----------------------------

By the numbers: Duke's downfield passing attack

The Blue Devils converted just 3-of-17 third-down tries in their loss to Northwestern. AP Photo/Gerry Broome
David M. Hale

The most striking aspect of Duke’s 19-10 loss to Northwestern last week was the lack of any semblance of a downfield passing game. The Wildcats forced the ball underneath, and Duke simply couldn’t break the mold. The result was a completely lackluster offensive effort.

At halftime of the game, Duke coach David Cutcliffe said his team was playing “in the box” and needed to find room downfield. This week, he changed his story a bit.

“No, those were lay-offs,” Cutcliffe told the Raleigh News & Observer ...

[article redacted]

Papa John
09-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Sports Illustrated lists the game as one of 5 to watch for upsets:

http://fansided.com/2015/09/24/college-football-5-teams-upset-alert-week-4/3/

Well, this line right here tells me all I need to know:

Second, Tech could let the “what ifs” of a close defeat cloud their thoughts the entire next week, then sleepwalk through the first half of a noon kickoff against a tough Duke squad.

Clearly, Nicholas Ian Allen didn't watch the GaTech-ND football game, because there were no 'what-ifs', as it wasn't anything near a 'close defeat'. The score was 30-7 with :55 left in the 4th quarter before Tech scored a TD, recovered an onside kick, then scored again on an ND team that was clearly already immersed in celebration... Since he didn't even watch the game, the rest of his analysis is suspect, in my view...

Tech's defense is not great, and the addition of Jela should help to add balance to our offensive attack. I think Sirk gets back on track this week.

The whole key is whether our D can stop the triple-option. It's difficult for a school like Duke to recruit top tier defensive linemen, forcing us to rely on smaller guys in the trenches and resort to a defensive philosophy that is predicated more on speed and aggressiveness... But against a triple option team, that's actually not such a bad thing.

If we play a disciplined game and maintain our assignments on D, I like our chances in this game. We're going to score points... Question is whether we can stop Tech from scoring... The fact that our secondary is strong works to our advantage, as it will allow that front 7 to attack Justin Thomas and company head on.

How would this be for an outcome... Down by 1 late in the game, Paul Johnson once again shows no faith in his FG kicker, going for it on 4th-and-5 from the Duke 28 yard line, only to watch Justin Thomas get swarmed for a loss by the Duke defense... Sirk then leads the Devils on a methodical touchdown drive that leaves a little over a minute on the clock for Tech to tie the game, but Thomas is intercepted on first down by DeVon Edwards, icing the game for Duke... Though the game is closer than last weekend's tilt in South Bend, Tech loses 30-22 for a second week in a row...

Bob Green
09-24-2015, 06:23 PM
The whole key is whether our D can stop the triple-option. It's difficult for a school like Duke to recruit top tier defensive linemen, forcing us to rely on smaller guys in the trenches and resort to a defensive philosophy that is predicated more on speed and aggressiveness... But against a triple option team, that's actually not such a bad thing.

This is less true than most folks desire to admit. Our defensive line isn't all that small, especially the tackles:

Carlos Wray (6'2" 290)
A.J. Wolf (6'4" 270)
Mike Ramsay (6'2"295)
Edgar Cerenord (6'1" 300)
Quaven Ferguson (6'2" 305)
Brandon Boyce (6' 255)

Five out of six are pretty stout dudes.

Defensive ends are smaller, but true freshman Marquies Price has been seeing significant action and he is 6'6" 240.

Pghdukie
09-24-2015, 06:42 PM
I'm concerned that Tech is so heavily run-oriented, can our linebackers make the plays? D-line can clog the lanes, but the backers MUST make plays.

duke09hms
09-24-2015, 06:44 PM

If we play a disciplined game and maintain our assignments on D, I like our chances in this game. We're going to score points... Question is whether we can stop Tech from scoring... The fact that our secondary is strong works to our advantage, as it will allow that front 7 to attack Justin Thomas and company head on.

The part in bold, where does this confidence come from? In our only game against legit competition this year, our offense flopped, and our defense shut down a bad offense. I have more faith in our defense holding GT than our offense scoring on them. Sure our offense couldn't do squat against a superb NWU defense, but that doesn't mean we can score on a decent defense.

jimsumner
09-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Look, Tech could light up Duke. Their offense is pretty potent.

But Duke's defense has allowed two touchdowns in three games. Both were on long plays, meaning no one has put together a sustained touchdown drive against Duke.

And Duke certainly defended Tech's option attack last year, ironically only giving up points and yards in big chunks when Tech went to a passing attack late.

So, I wouldn't automatically assume that the Duke defense is overmatched here.

wilson
09-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Look, Tech could light up Duke. Their offense is pretty potent.

But Duke's defense has allowed two touchdowns in three games. Both were on long plays, meaning no one has put together a sustained touchdown drive against Duke.

And Duke certainly defended Tech's option attack last year, ironically only giving up points and yards in big chunks when Tech went to a passing attack late.

So, I wouldn't automatically assume that the Duke defense is overmatched here.Tech also did a fair bit of shooting themselves in the foot last year, with 3 or 4 turnovers (attributable also in part to solid Duke defense), and many Jacket fans have spent the better part of the last year claiming that GT lost last year's game more than Duke won it.
The Tech game, for me, is the biggest "circle on the calendar" football game every year, insofar as I want to beat them more than anyone else (even the cheaters down the road), for the following reasons:

1. GT is a quality program and was the last Coastal Division team we beat under Cutcliffe (if I'm not mistaken, last season was the first W against them under Cut). They're a really nice scalp for us to get, bigger IMO than any ACC team except FSU or Clemson (which are just different beasts for several reasons).
2. GT fans can be rather snotty, both about their overinflated sense of their program's national importance and their overinflated sense of their school's quality...many claim that GT is just as good a school as Duke (it's good, but it's not that good), and that their program is as good overall as any in the ACC (it's good, but it's not that good).
3. This is honestly the biggest one...I hate watching option football. It is not 1926. I am ever so glad Paul Johnson took a pass on Duke, because his offense feels thoroughly outdated and gimmicky to me.

Along with the fact that this is an important opportunity to get the season back on track, this all makes me very hungry for a Devils win on Saturday.

75Crazie
09-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Wilson, I just about completely agree with everything you said, except for one tiny thing ... they are still behind the Cheaters on my hate list. Not even close.

devildeac
09-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Based on Weather Channel hourly forecasts for game day, chances for rain vary from 49-63% from noon-4 PM. No thunder/lightning expected. As Bob Green posted, "Have poncho, will travel."

Olympic Fan
09-25-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech also did a fair bit of shooting themselves in the foot last year, with 3 or 4 turnovers (attributable also in part to solid Duke defense), and many Jacket fans have spent the better part of the last year claiming that GT lost last year's game more than Duke won it.
The Tech game, for me, is the biggest "circle on the calendar" football game every year, insofar as I want to beat them more than anyone else (even the cheaters down the road), for the following reasons:

1. GT is a quality program and was the last Coastal Division team we beat under Cutcliffe (if I'm not mistaken, last season was the first W against them under Cut). They're a really nice scalp for us to get, bigger IMO than any ACC team except FSU or Clemson (which are just different beasts for several reasons).
2. GT fans can be rather snotty, both about their overinflated sense of their program's national importance and their overinflated sense of their school's quality...many claim that GT is just as good a school as Duke (it's good, but it's not that good), and that their program is as good overall as any in the ACC (it's good, but it's not that good).
3. This is honestly the biggest one...I hate watching option football. It is not 1926. I am ever so glad Paul Johnson took a pass on Duke, because his offense feels thoroughly outdated and gimmicky to me.

Along with the fact that this is an important opportunity to get the season back on track, this all makes me very hungry for a Devils win on Saturday.

I guess it's a matter of taste -- I LOVE watching option football. I'll watch Navy or Army or Georgia Tech over almost anybody. It's the most entertaining brand of football I can imagine.

As for the Paul Johnson vs. David Cutcliffe matter ... let me say that in terms of personality and program development, we hit a home run with Cut. In terms of football ... well, that's a closer call. Johnson has been at Georgia Tech for the same seven years that Cut has been at Duke and in that time, he's won four Coastal Division titles and been to seven straight bowl games. Granted, he inherited a much better program than Cut did, but he's built a brilliant record. And he did inherit a down-and-out Navy program in 2002 -- one that was as down as the Duke program that Cut inherited -- and after one bad season, he had them in six straight bowls -- never winning less than eight games in a season.

I'm not sure I like Paul Johnson ... but I sure as heck respect him as a brilliant coach.

PS And the reason Duke has a good chance to cope with the option is not the line or the linebackers -- but we have the best run support safeties in college football -- especially Jeremy Cash.

duke79
09-25-2015, 11:55 AM
Based on Weather Channel hourly forecasts for game day, chances for rain vary from 49-63% from noon-4 PM. No thunder/lightning expected. As Bob Green posted, "Have poncho, will travel."

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/durham-nc/27701/hourly-weather-forecast/329821?hour=33

Accuweather.com hourly weather forecast for Durham tomorrow. Bring your rain gear!

It will be interesting to see how the new field holds up if there is heavy rain tonight and tomorrow and you have 22 players with cleats running all over the field.

Let's hope it's not an error-prone, sloppy game.

Bob Green
09-25-2015, 04:08 PM
What's the over/under for actual "butts in seats" at kickoff? I say 12,500. I'll be there, that's all I can control.

Avvocato
09-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Interesting post from the espn.com ACC blog. Basically saying that Duke has a lot to prove against Georgia Tech, especially that it can beat good teams. It's a pretty fair assessment. It's also the next step for a developing program, in my opinion. We have recruited better talent and proven we can beat the bad teams and the okay teams. The next step is beating the good teams. It's still early in the season, and you can't overreact to every win or every loss. I'm curious to see how the team reacts after last week's disappointment.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/85983/duke-has-plenty-to-prove-against-georgia-tech

The things I am looking at this weekend:

1. Sirk had a bad game, obviously, last week. One thing I am curious to see is if all of the talk about his check down passes this week gets in his head. I hope he doesn't try to prove he can throw down the field and starts throwing into coverage or forces passes that aren't there. I also hope he doesn't avoid throwing to the backs, because he knows he checked down too often last week. It's a balance. Let's see how he handles it.

2. One other thing I'd like to see Sirk do is when he starts to run (after dropping back to pass), to still look to make a play with his arm. Too often, not only did I think he abandoned the play and tried to run too quickly, but when he decided to run, he immediately turned into a running back. He should keep his head up a little longer and look to make a play. Especially on third and longer situations.

3. The good news is that the Tech defense isn't the Northwestern defense. It's still early in the season and hard to really judge Northwestern, but considering the job they did on Stanford and us, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Therefore, I expect to see a better offensive performance against the Tech D. The real key is the running game. We really need to establish consistent runs to help Sirk out. Better play calling will also help him out. We need to stay out of the 3rd and longs.

4. I'm actually really excited to see our defense match up against Tech. We took on the challenge of the physical Northwestern line and stood tall. I think our defensive speed should help us against the option. When playing an option offense, everyone has an assignment. The key is being disciplined (i.e., staying with your assignment) and tackling. If you miss your tackle (or break assignment), it turns into a big play. I'm looking forward to seeing our defense take on this challenge. The offense also has to possess the ball (and score points) to help the D out.

Less than 24 hours away. Can't wait.

Bob Green
09-25-2015, 05:08 PM
The things I am looking at this weekend:

1. I also hope he doesn't avoid throwing to the backs, because he knows he checked down too often last week. It's a balance.

2. One other thing I'd like to see Sirk do is when he starts to run (after dropping back to pass), to still look to make a play with his arm.

3. Better play calling will also help him out. We need to stay out of the 3rd and longs.

4. The offense also has to possess the ball (and score points) to help the D out.

Excellent post!

1. Our backs are excellent receivers so I agree with you 100 percent it is all about balance.

2. Sometimes a scrambling quarterback disrupts pass coverage and creates opportunities. Receivers have to continue to work to get open.

3. I really desire to see us run some misdirection plays from time to time. An end around perhaps or at least the jet sweep.

4. Duke must keep Justin Thomas and the GT offense off the field. Solid offensive execution will be a must tomorrow.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2015, 05:11 PM
4. Duke must keep Justin Thomas and the GT offense off the field. Solid offensive execution will be a must tomorrow.

This. When you punt the ball, you may not see it for another 5-7 minutes of game time.

Bob Green
09-25-2015, 05:17 PM
Another thought - with Jela Duncan available to play, I would love to see Shaun Wilson lined up in the slot at times, in addition to his normal rotation as the featured running back. There was talk of this in the preseason. With Wilson in the slot, the jet sweep becomes a play I really, really desire to see Duke run.

kcduke75
09-25-2015, 08:08 PM
What's the over/under for actual "butts in seats" at kickoff? I say 12,500. I'll be there, that's all I can control.

I'll be there. Go Duke!

Papa John
09-25-2015, 08:30 PM
The part in bold, where does this confidence come from? In our only game against legit competition this year, our offense flopped, and our defense shut down a bad offense. I have more faith in our defense holding GT than our offense scoring on them. Sure our offense couldn't do squat against a superb NWU defense, but that doesn't mean we can score on a decent defense.

Our offense struggled somewhat against a defense that is among the top 10 in the country at the moment, with a notch on their belt against a Stanford team that just put up 41 on USC... And I would argue that we were moving the ball well against that stout defense until our QB started getting antsy... Cutcliffe is one of the best QB tutors in football [college or pro], and I have confidence that he will be able to teach Sirk what he was doing incorrectly against Northwestern and script an opening set of plays that will instill confidence in his young QB against a GaTech defense that is not really that stout... You choose to believe what your experience tells you, and I'll choose to believe what my experience tells me... The key lies in our ability to stop the triple option, and I like our aggressive defensive philosophy in that regard...

grossbus
09-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Please, please, please

Do not throw the ball to the sidelines.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2015, 07:44 AM
GAME DAY!!!!. Woot woot!

peloton
09-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Please, please, please

I'm definitely with you on this, Grossbus. Many more of these for little to no gain and I might burst a blood vessel in my temporal region from yelling so hard.

peloton
09-26-2015, 10:14 AM
GAME DAY!!!!. Woot woot!

OldPhiKap, I surmise by your early post that maybe you're getting the tailgating started early today...Irish coffee perhaps? :) Let's go Blue Devils!

Mabdul Doobakus
09-26-2015, 10:20 AM
I thought we looked pretty good against the few option plays ran last week. Of course, the Georgia Tech option is probably a different beast. But at least it gives me hope for the defense.

The offense on the other hand...

I think I'll just wait for the game to play out.

-jk
09-26-2015, 10:53 AM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

4Gen
09-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Duke just announced $5 tickets for the game today. I'm all for putting folks in the seats, but you reach a point where people don't buy season tickets knowing cheaper tickets will be in the offing later. Food for thought. I don't know at what price point that line of reasoning begins.

Papa John
09-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Please, please, please

Actually, Tenuta's defense is blitz heavy and highly aggressive, so this week those quick short passes to the flats and bubble screens should make pretty good hay against what GaTech is likely to throw our way...

grossbus
09-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Well that was dumb.

arnie
09-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Well that was dumb.

Dumb is too nice a description. Never see two players fighting over a handoff. Can't afford many more QB issues.

riverside6
09-26-2015, 12:18 PM
Live stats for Duke/GT

http://www.scacchoops.com/georgia-tech-at-duke-football-live-stats-09262015

grossbus
09-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Moving the ball again. Wonder why the bench called TO there? We had momentum.

arnie
09-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Dumb is too nice a description. Never see two players fighting over a handoff. Can't afford many more QB issues.

Dominant line - keep it simple!

pfrduke
09-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Ok, I'm confused. Why isn't the punter's throw intentional grounding, such that the penalty would be loss of down from the spot of the throw? The ball definitely didn't get back to the line of scrimmage and he wasn't out of the tackle box. Is it because one of the people who came running back for Georgia Tech was an eligible receiver?

grossbus
09-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Looked like intention grounding to me.

The offense so far looks great.

brickey
09-26-2015, 12:36 PM
Ok, I'm confused. Why isn't the punter's throw intentional grounding, such that the penalty would be loss of down from the spot of the throw? The ball definitely didn't get back to the line of scrimmage and he wasn't out of the tackle box. Is it because one of the people who came running back for Georgia Tech was an eligible receiver?

I'm with you. Totally miffed by that call. Still, the outcome was possibly better -- we get the TD off of the TO while eating a bit more clock.

arnie
09-26-2015, 12:36 PM

Insane consec plays by Cash and Smith

pfrduke
09-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Defense looks fantastic. Really disciplined against the option attack to prevent lanes from opening up.

And RYAN SMITH!!!!!

pfrduke
09-26-2015, 12:41 PM
So apparently we should just start going for 2 after touchdowns. Yeesh.

duke09hms
09-26-2015, 12:42 PM
Hope those 2 missed XPs don't come back to haunt us.
Maybe we should fiddle with the air pressure ...

gurufrisbee
09-26-2015, 12:44 PM
Great first quarter! Yes, the PATs look terrible. Yes, the punter 'pass' was badly screwed up by the refs (he didn't get out of the pocket - it does not have a back limit - and it was touched by an ineligible guy too), but man we are looking good! Keep it up Blue Devils!

Mabdul Doobakus
09-26-2015, 12:46 PM
Georgia Tech wasn't respecting Sirk's ability to throw the ball downfield at all early on, and they still were having trouble stopping the run. Now that he's hit a couple of downfield plays, I can't see how this game is going to go well for Tech's defense. We've been dominating them up front.

Good, disciplined play against the option by our D continues from last week. The problem with Tech's style of play is they will never have a QB who scares you on 3rd and long.

That punt return was Sportscenter Top 10 good, even if he was just short of the end zone.

pfrduke
09-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Now that he's hit a couple of downfield plays, I can't see how this game is going to go well for Tech's defense.

Phantom holding calls on our tight end help. Grrrrr

duke09hms
09-26-2015, 01:00 PM
Mannnn offense can't have gone 3-and-out like that after the defense shut GT down on 4th down.
Keep our D off the field!

Mabdul Doobakus
09-26-2015, 01:05 PM
Watching Jeremy Cash reminds of me watching Ed Reed back in his Miami days. He's that disruptive.

duke09hms
09-26-2015, 01:13 PM
Let's keep our defense off the field until the 2nd half! Go Duke!!

arnie
09-26-2015, 01:19 PM
Let's keep our defense off the field until the 2nd half! Go Duke!!

Weird call on 3rd and 1 - throw a covered bomb? Hope D can hold again.

duke09hms
09-26-2015, 01:22 PM

Yeah makes no sense. It basically let GT score a TD.

Can't blow this!

CameronBlue
09-26-2015, 01:25 PM

And out of the shotgun no less with no other backs in the backfield. C'mon Cut what the heck was that. You're 6 minutes away from taking at least a 19-3 lead to the half. THAT was a strange call. I don't mind taking a shot downfield but how about some playaction at least? That was a coaching mistake.

75Crazie
09-26-2015, 01:26 PM
Phantom holding calls on our tight end help. Grrrrr
I'm surprised not to see more complaints about that one holding call that negated the long play early in the quarter. That could be a crucial call in this game. On the replay, I saw no evidence that Deaver did anything to merit any kind of call.

duke09hms
09-26-2015, 01:29 PM
Well we had a chance to end the game but we're in a dogfight now

arnie
09-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Yeah makes no sense. Can't blow this!

Momentum changed on that call and turning down 10- yard holding penalty. Didn't get either decision.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-26-2015, 01:33 PM

Didn't have a problem with the call. You don't want to be too predictable, and it was a good chance to hit a big play. I think if Sirk got rid of the ball when the WR got behind the CB he could've completed that well before the safety, who wasn't even looking at the QB, had a chance to make a play on the ball. Sirk is just trigger shy.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-26-2015, 01:34 PM
And turning down the holding penalty on 3rd and 8 was stupid. This isn't second guessing on anyone's part. Everyone in the chat was surprised.

CameronBlue
09-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Didn't have a problem with the call. You don't want to be too predictable, and it was a good chance to hit a big play. I think if Sirk got rid of the ball when the WR got behind the CB he could've completed that well before the safety, who wasn't even looking at the QB, had a chance to make a play on the ball. Sirk is just trigger shy.

Completely disagree. Everyone expects a run on 3rd and 1 but you remove the element of surprise by running that play out of the shotgun with no backs to dump it off to. Then Cut followed and declined the holding penalty which makes no sense either.

arnie
09-26-2015, 01:39 PM
Completely disagree. Everyone expects a run on 3rd and 1 but you remove the element of surprise by running that play out of the shotgun with no backs to dump it off to. Then Cut followed and declined the holding penalty which makes no sense either.

Cut just said he probably should have run the ball on 3rd and 1.

BigWayne
09-26-2015, 01:39 PM
I'm surprised not to see more complaints about that one holding call that negated the long play early in the quarter. That could be a crucial call in this game. On the replay, I saw no evidence that Deaver did anything to merit any kind of call.

The holding was not on Deaver. The ref called his number, but he was wrong. Deaver was near the line of scrimmage. If holding was on him, we would have 2nd and about 20. We had 2nd and 3 because the flag was thrown downfield near the end of the run. You can clearly see the flag being thrown near the end of the play.

I'm glad we are up at the half but the 3rd and 1 and declined penalty are leaving me SMH.

duke09hms
09-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Offense back to firing blanks since the end of the first. Defense is going to wear down at this rate.

duke09hms
09-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Norman with a huge sack on 3rd!!
Been pressuring the GT QB all day yesssss

pfrduke
09-26-2015, 02:12 PM
Needed that one. Another mark in the Devon Edwards highlight reel.

ETA - and a clean XP!

FerryFor50
09-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Norman is playing well, but they just allowed an 18 yard hitch for a first down. Not ideal.

duke09hms
09-26-2015, 02:18 PM
Norman is playing well, but they just allowed an 18 yard hitch for a first down. Not ideal.

Yeah unbelievable. Easy play on 3rd and 18.

arnie
09-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Needed that one. Another mark in the Devon Edwards highlight reel.

ETA - and a clean XP!

I LOVE our D.

FerryFor50
09-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Really loving how hard the defense is going after it. Would love to see the offense right the ship a bit.

ChrisP
09-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Soecial teams and D playing really well, overall. Need offense to step up & get clicking again!

ChrisP
09-26-2015, 02:22 PM
We finally ran a route PAST the sticks. Way to go, McAffrey!

duke09hms
09-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Offense is so anemic

arnie
09-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Offense is so anemic
I think we're only gonna need one 4th quarter drive; can we do that?

duke09hms
09-26-2015, 02:48 PM
Offense hasn't done anything in over 2 quarters so unlikely. Unfortunately it looks like our defense is wearing down a bit into the 4th. We're gonna need them to dig deep and pull out another TO.

FerryFor50
09-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Sirk isn't fast enough to get the corner against a solid defense. Gotta get the passing game going

duke09hms
09-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Wowwwww I feel bad for criticizing Anthony Boone :(

He may have been inaccurate but avoided interceptions.

Channing
09-26-2015, 02:52 PM
Defense has been unbelievable. Need to get offense to at least get a first down or two. Sirk has to contribute even just a nominal amt

duke09hms
09-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Defense has been unbelievable. Need to get offense to at least get a first down or two. Sirk has to contribute even just a nominal amt

Yea I'd rather just run the RBs and not waste plays on QB runs. Shaq was punishing them in the 1Q then we got tired of winning so easily.

arnie

Maybe just handoffs to running backs can save this game.

ChrisP
Huuuuuge stop! Come on, O. Where is Powell? He was picking up good yardage in the 1st quarter. Hope he's not hurt

arnie
09-26-2015, 02:57 PM
Maybe just handoffs to running backs can save this game.

Will never know if that would have worked

ChrisP
09-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Playcalling baffling me right now. What the...????

PSurprise
Why not run the clock down on offense? We snap it with 15 seconds left?!?

FerryFor50
Garbage call.

ChrisP
09-26-2015, 03:01 PM
And how did we not recover that fumble?

arnie
09-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Huuuuuge stop! Come on, O. Where is Powell? He was picking up good yardage in the 1st quarter. Hope he's not hurt

And again! Just need a first down

ChrisP
09-26-2015, 03:03 PM
About time one bounced our way!

ChrisP
09-26-2015, 03:05 PM
Hey what do you know - Powell picks up 5 yards on 1st down!

arnie
09-26-2015, 03:06 PM
About time one bounced our way!

Must be able make this one

FerryFor50
09-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Yesssss! Glad Duncan is back to give Duke a 3 headed monster at RB again.

arnie
09-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Must be able make this one

Coastal lead

ChrisP
09-26-2015, 03:09 PM
Amazing what can happen when you, you know, let your running backs touch the ball

ChrisP
09-26-2015, 03:11 PM
Great play by Sirk to hang in there.

dukelifer
09-26-2015, 03:11 PM

He is back ;)

OldPhiKap
09-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Great win. And, room to improve. Just what you want.

Our defense is off the chart, Cash is crazy good. Sirk is learning, lots to learn but got it done at crunch time.

Edwards is beyond great on returns. Words fail.

1-0 in the conference, off to a great start!

dukelifer
09-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Great win. And, room to improve. Just what you want.

Our defense is off the chart, Cash is crazy good. Sirk is learning, lots to learn but got it done at crunch time.

Edwards is beyond great on returns. Words fail.

1-0 in the conference, off to a great start!

Defense has shown up every game. That is a key to consistency. Cash is a pro.