PDA

View Full Version : The United States of College Basketball

Olympic Fan
09-20-2015, 01:02 PM
A panel of CBS basketball writers has written an article naming the top college basketball program in each of the 50 states:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25303805/the-united-states-of-college-basketball-the-top-program-in-each-state

It's not going to make our neighbors in Cheater Hill feel very good. Here's the explanation for their North Carolina pick:

North Carolina: Duke Blue Devils

Outlook: The battle in North Carolina is going to get interesting once Mike Krzyzewski decides to retire -- whenever that is. We don't think it happens by 2020, but it will almost certainly happen within the five years after that. Alas, we're on a five-year window here, and Duke has to be the pick. UNC could be pummeled with NCAA sanctions. NC State is not on Duke's level, and neither is Wake, though expect Wake Forest to make big strides in the next three seasons under Danny Manning. By the way, Davidson is also well-positioned to remain very good. This is such a strong state for hoops

BTW: I would pay for a poster-sized copy of the art-work that accompanies this article

TruBlu
09-20-2015, 01:59 PM
A panel of CBS basketball writers has written an article naming the top college basketball program in each of the 50 states:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25303805/the-united-states-of-college-basketball-the-top-program-in-each-state

It's not going to make our neighbors in Cheater Hill feel very good. Here's the explanation for their North Carolina pick:

North Carolina: Duke Blue Devils

Outlook: The battle in North Carolina is going to get interesting once Mike Krzyzewski decides to retire -- whenever that is. We don't think it happens by 2020, but it will almost certainly happen within the five years after that. Alas, we're on a five-year window here, and Duke has to be the pick. UNC could be pummeled with NCAA sanctions. NC State is not on Duke's level, and neither is Wake, though expect Wake Forest to make big strides in the next three seasons under Danny Manning. By the way, Davidson is also well-positioned to remain very good. This is such a strong state for hoops

BTW: I would pay for a poster-sized copy of the art-work that accompanies this article

Am I being too sensitive here, or does it seem snarky that "Alas" and "has to be the pick" had to be thrown in here? Makes it sound like another team would have been preferable to picking Duke, or that it would be preferable for Coach K to retire earlier.

And don't even try to tell me that black helicopters aren't hovering over my house at night.

sagegrouse
09-20-2015, 02:09 PM
Am I being too sensitive here, or does it seem snarky that "Alas" and "has to be the pick" had to be thrown in here? Makes it sound like another team would have been preferable to picking Duke, or that it would be preferable for Coach K to retire earlier.

And don't even try to tell me that black helicopters aren't hovering over my house at night.

Damn, those bats are big! I think the "alas" refers to the absence of a close rivalry between Duke and UNC over the next five years. I am taking nothing for granted, but if that is the outcome, I cna live with it. go to hell, Carolina!

rsvman
09-21-2015, 04:44 PM
I'd like that poster, too! My undergrad was at BYU, and I trained in Infectious Diseases at Vanderbilt.

So the poster shows three of my favorite places/programs. Love it.

subzero02
09-21-2015, 08:24 PM

I have noticed that some basketball fans don't like Duke and that some of these fans become writers. Have you guys noticed this too?

gurufrisbee
09-21-2015, 09:07 PM
I have noticed that some basketball fans don't like Duke and that some of these fans become writers. Have you guys noticed this too?

Yes - and then some move on work on television as well.

Kfanarmy
09-24-2015, 09:36 AM

In this case, I think the black helicopters might be more likely. This is just a writer trying to turn a phrase. He's saying Duke is the only choice...that's a good thing.

weezie
09-24-2015, 11:51 AM
In this case, I think the black helicopters might be more likely. This is just a writer trying to turn a phrase. He's saying Duke is the only choice...that's a good thing.

I gave my 13yr old nephew a Nike Duke Elite shirt which he wore to his first 8th grade practice coached by a guy who played point guard for Central Michigan in 2003. Ring a bell?? The Chris Kamen years.

Brave nephew, eh? A few extra laps were doled out to my boy but the coach then called me over and asked if I had any pointers for the team.

"Pay attention to Coach! " was all I offered. Very cute moment, very nice guy.

The Gordog
09-24-2015, 12:52 PM

I like that the U-Convicts' husky is so tiny!