PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke, Leaonna Odom!

jimsumner
09-17-2015, 12:46 PM
http://prospectsnation.com/story/duke-adds-odom

sagegrouse
09-17-2015, 01:12 PM
http://prospectsnation.com/story/duke-adds-odom
Money quotes:

Duke added it’s first verbal commitment of the class of 2016 this week when 6-foot forward Leaonna Odom of Los Alimitos, Calif., gave a verbal pledge to the Joanne P. McCallie and her staff. Odom picked the ACC school over Tennessee and Texas.

Leaonna Odom is one of the most versatile players in the 2016 class.

johnb
09-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Money quotes:

Turns out that Odom recently transferred from Mater Dei, a basketball powerhouse, in order to move to a safer neighborhood.

She toured her next school before deciding to matriculate--and the coach didn't know she was considering a transfer.

"Rob DiMuro, Chaminade's associate athletic director, shocked his wife, the school's basketball coach, by bringing Odom by her English class.

"Everybody in my class was shocked, too," DiMuro said. "They were like: 'Who's that?' [Odom] just looks like an All-American, and that's exactly what we got....

"As soon as she saw me, she had the biggest smile from ear to ear," said Odom, the No. 7 prospect in the espnW HoopGurlz Super 60 for the 2016 class. "It was probably an exciting moment for her."

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/11546588/surprise-chaminade-prep-welcomes-high-flying-leaonna-odom

Bob Green
09-17-2015, 01:43 PM
Great news! Duke recruiting efforts continue to be successful.

Devil77
09-17-2015, 11:15 PM
She looks like Jasmine, hope she plays like her.

Kfanarmy
09-18-2015, 09:38 AM
Hopefully the team will be healthy and Can climb back up to finish somewhere in the top 10 by the end of the season.

OldPhiKap
09-18-2015, 12:24 PM
Welcome to Duke, great job by the coaching staff and all involved.

Henderson
09-18-2015, 06:49 PM
Why was this thread titled the way it was? Bias can be so subtle sometimes. Then sometimes it's apparent immediately.
How about "Welcome to Duke Leaonna Odom!!"?

And welcome to Duke, Leaonna Odom!!

jimsumner
09-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Why was this thread titled the way it was? Bias can be so subtle sometimes. Then sometimes it's apparent immediately.

Seriously? What bias did I display in the thread title? What bias could possibly be displayed in a basic, factually correct thread title that links in about three seconds to an article directly elaborating on the subject?

Please inform me in what way I am or ever have been biased on the subject of Duke women's basketball.

Is that sufficiently unsubtle?

And yes, I'm P.O'd. Seriously.

brevity
09-18-2015, 07:43 PM

Seriously? What bias did I display in the thread title? What bias could possibly be displayed in a basic, factually correct thread title that links in about three seconds to an article directly elaborating on the subject?

Please inform me in what way I am or ever have been biased on the subject of Duke women's basketball.

Is that sufficiently unsubtle?

And yes, I'm P.O'd. Seriously.

To the credit of you both, this is the longest a WBB thread has ever run before devolving into personal attacks. (And I was waiting for the usual suspects to show up, so this is a surprise.)

jimsumner
09-18-2015, 07:54 PM
To the credit of you both, this is the longest a WBB thread has ever run before devolving into personal attacks. (And I was waiting for the usual suspects to show up, so this is a surprise.)

The implied premise of Henderson's cryptic comment is preposterous and offensive. Read my body of work on Duke women's basketball on this board, on other Duke boards (especially the scout.com board), Go Duke: the Magazine, the Duke website or other publications and I defy anyone to find anything that suggests a bias against McCallie or Duke women's basketball.

And if I were biased, why would I start a thread on her gaining a commitment from a top-20 recruit? Defies rational comprehension.

duke09hms
09-18-2015, 08:22 PM
The implied premise of Henderson's cryptic comment is preposterous and offensive. Read my body of work on Duke women's basketball on this board, on other Duke boards (especially the scout.com board), Go Duke: the Magazine, the Duke website or other publications and I defy anyone to find anything that suggests a bias against McCallie or Duke women's basketball.

And if I were biased, why would I start a thread on her gaining a commitment from a top-20 recruit? Defies rational comprehension.

Lol yep I'm with you buddy. Some people are just looking for things to get offended about.

Now, you actually have a GOOD reason to be offended.

OldPhiKap
09-18-2015, 08:34 PM
My guess is that Hendu didn't notice who started the thread. Jim is obviously a quality supporter and reporter of all things Duke. Henderson is an outstanding poster and a member whose input is on a high level.

We all want Duke's WBB team to excel. As I said unthread, welcome to the athlete and great job by the coach.

Chalk it up to honest miscommunication. Let's Go DUKE!!!

OldPhiKap
09-18-2015, 08:56 PM
Some Odom highlights (#1 in white):

http://youtu.be/N_L7GL6PJ3A

jimsumner
09-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Some Odom highlights (#1 in white):

http://youtu.be/N_L7GL6PJ3A

She's consistently ranked in the top 20. But I've heard from people whose opinions I respect that she's more of a top 10, maybe top-5 talent. An elite acquisition.

Playing time will be at a premium next season, especially on the perimeter. All five of Duke's incoming freshmen are wings 6-1 and shorter, two considered to be elite-level recruits. And Duke has an All-America transfer sitting out this season and she's a wing.

In other words, at least two of Greenwell, Salvadores, Lambert, Odom and Brown will be coming off the bench, unless one moves to the 4 and nobody is moving Azura Stevens out of the starting lineup.

Duke will try to bring in a true post in the next class. And projecting freshmen is always fraught with peril. Lots of can't miss recruits miss. But keep in mind that Riggs and perhaps Henson are the only players ending their playing careers this year. Duke is putting together a very, very impressive talent base.

OldPhiKap
09-18-2015, 09:34 PM
^^ nice issue to have.

Any bigs we are looking at, or are we about done for the class?

jimsumner
09-18-2015, 10:29 PM
^^ nice issue to have.

Any bigs we are looking at, or are we about done for the class?

Duke would like to bring in a post. Ciera Johnson has long been a priority. She's 6-4, from Texas. But the Texas schools and schools like Notre Dame and Louisville have prioritized her. She might be a tough get.

BD80
09-20-2015, 01:13 PM

I think Odom will average 15 mpg next year. Oh wait, this is a WBB thread.

DU82
09-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Jim, thanks for the news, I don't follow recruiting that closely. I'd rather concentrate on the season and players on hand (nothing wrong with staying current with recruits, just not my style.)

Looking at the pictures from the team photo day, I was pleased to see 14 scholarship players and wondering who will get minutes. Do you an update on the team's overall health, specifically Lynee, Oderah and Rebecca, sine they had significant injuries and/or illnesses the past year.

BD80
09-20-2015, 04:12 PM
Jim, thanks for the news, I don't follow recruiting that closely. I'd rather concentrate on the season and players on hand (nothing wrong with staying current with recruits, just not my style.)

Looking at the pictures from the team photo day, I was pleased to see 14 scholarship players and wondering who will get minutes. Do you an update on the team's overall health, specifically Lynee, Oderah and Rebecca, sine they had significant injuries and/or illnesses the past year.

There it is ...

DU82
09-20-2015, 04:20 PM
There it is ...

There what goes?

Is there something wrong with wondering who will play more minutes this year? In particular, will the talented freshmen be able to step up immediately? Will Lynee and Oderah be able to come back right away?

I meant no controversy, only interested in who will step up. Take your negative thoughts/comments elsewhere.

Bob Green
09-20-2015, 04:23 PM
Take your negative thoughts/comments elsewhere.

Please keep it civil folks. Thanks.

-jk
09-20-2015, 11:29 PM
I think it was a reference to the fact that all dbr threads wind up as "minutes".

-jk

Mike Corey
09-21-2015, 12:42 AM
Terrific get for Duke women's basketball.

Henderson
09-21-2015, 03:51 PM
My guess is that Hendu didn't notice who started the thread.

Thanks, but I did notice. I'm not sure how that insulates a person's post from commentary or criticism.

I never accused anyone of intentional bias or a lack of support for WBB. My point was about the thread title, which does not mention the recruit nor welcome her. Recruits follow this stuff, and this is not how we welcome new male commits. No one is immune from subtle unintended bias, of which this seems to me to be an example. That was the point. A small one not deserving of so much attention. Move-on-ski?

RepoMan
09-21-2015, 05:11 PM
My point was about the thread title, which does not mention the recruit nor welcome her. Recruits follow this stuff, and this is not how we welcome new male commits. No one is immune from subtle unintended bias, of which this seems to me to be an example. That was the point.

"McCallie gets commitment" = unintended gender bias? That is outlandish, and I don't blame Sumner from being offended by the suggestion.

Indoor66
09-21-2015, 05:23 PM
"McCallie gets commitment" = unintended gender bias? That is outlandish, and I don't blame Sumner from being offended by the suggestion.

Repo is correct. The PC monitor on this board is beyond ridiculous. Do we have to search for it, ferret it out now?

Pghdukie
09-21-2015, 05:28 PM
Mr.Sumner has written quality articles and I firmly believe he will continue to do so.

Kfanarmy
09-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks, but I did notice. I'm not sure how that insulates a person's post from commentary or criticism.

I never accused anyone of intentional bias or a lack of support for WBB. My point was about the thread title, which does not mention the recruit nor welcome her. Recruits follow this stuff, and this is not how we welcome new male commits. No one is immune from subtle unintended bias, of which this seems to me to be an example. That was the point. A small one not deserving of so much attention. Move-on-ski?

Fortunately someone was there to notice bias for all of us...on the lookout, helping to take offense right away in case no one else does (but of course they should have), insuring unity of purpose and heart doesn't get in the way of the divisiveness that can be attained through an unintended, but somehow imaginable slight. Its always nice to have someone policing civil discourse as the superhero of being offended.

It wasn't so much a small point that people need to move on about, as it was a small point deserving of an apology.

bob blue devil
09-22-2015, 12:52 PM
Fortunately someone was there to notice bias for all of us...on the lookout, helping to take offense right away in case no one else does (but of course they should have), insuring unity of purpose and heart doesn't get in the way of the divisiveness that can be attained through an unintended, but somehow imaginable slight. Its always nice to have someone policing civil discourse as the superhero of being offended.

It wasn't so much a small point that people need to move on about, as it was a small point deserving of an apology.

And,thankfully, we also have the police of the police. The supererheros. Let's move on and resume normal programming please?

Henderson
09-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Come on, just change the thread title to make it equivalent to the commitment of a male BB recruit. Why not? How hard is it?

brevity
09-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Come on, just change the thread title to make it equivalent to the commitment of a male BB recruit. Why not? How hard is it?

It's very hard for Jim Sumner, or you, or me. It's quite easy for the moderators.

jimsumner
09-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Geez.

I go to the grocery store every Thursday. The local Harris-Teeter gives a five percent discount every Thursday to seniors. Hey, it's real money. Every 20th visit free or at least in the neighborhood of free.

So, I'm about out the door but I'm waiting on an email so I check and find info that McCallie just got a commitment. Great news, I thought. Share it with the DBR community. But be quick. The clock is ticking.

So, I post the link and quick thread title and go about my business.

And yes, I forgot to buy carrots. Just a bad day all around.

Then I find out that I'm guilty of bias in the thread, bias which was either subtle or apparent. I'm not entirely certain.

Which, is ironic, considering that the McCallie critics on the scout board consider me a McCallie apologist.

And no, I can't change the thread title. Which I'm not convinced needs to be changed but hey I don't have any skin in the thread title.

But I do have some skin in this board and how it runs and I do not see how any rational person could possibly see bias in this thread title unless this person is looking for bias and you can pretty find whatever you're looking for if you look hard enough for it, even it isn't there.

Bob Green
09-22-2015, 02:51 PM
But I do have some skin in this board and how it runs and I do not see how any rational person could possibly see bias in this thread title unless this person is looking for bias and you can pretty find whatever you're looking for if you look hard enough for it, even it isn't there.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the thread title!

Henderson
09-22-2015, 03:08 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the thread title!

How about just changing the thread title to: "Welcome to Duke Leaonna Odom!!"?

We do that for male recruits.

What motivates the resistance to this idea?

Dev11
09-22-2015, 03:24 PM
In the words of noted Internet philosopher Strong Bad, "Ugh, you people and your demands!"

Everybody take a deep breath and go think of more creative ways to suggest that they should serve beer at football games.

GGLC
09-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Welcome, Leaonna!

flyingdutchdevil
09-22-2015, 03:33 PM
In the words of noted Internet philosopher Strong Bad, "Ugh, you people and your demands!"

Everybody take a deep breath and go think of more creative ways to suggest that they should serve beer at football games.

Wait, think of how they should serve beer or think of more creative ways to improve attendance instead of selling beer? ;)

Dev11
09-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Wait, think of how they should serve beer or think of more creative ways to improve attendance instead of selling beer? ;)

Correct

Bob Green
09-22-2015, 03:59 PM

I bought my daughter a tea set, but didn't buy one for my son. That doesn't mean I loved him less. There was nothing wrong with the thread title and your insistence it be changed fueled my motivation to resist.

BD80
09-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Geez.

I go to the grocery store every Thursday. The local Harris-Teeter gives a five percent discount every Thursday to seniors. Hey, it's real money. Every 20th visit free or at least in the neighborhood of free.

So, I'm about out the door but I'm waiting on an email so I check and find info that McCallie just got a commitment. Great news, I thought. Share it with the DBR community. But be quick. The clock is ticking.

So, I post the link and quick thread title and go about my business.

And yes, I forgot to buy carrots. Just a bad day all around.

Then I find out that I'm guilty of bias in the thread, bias which was either subtle or apparent. I'm not entirely certain.

Which, is ironic, considering that the McCallie critics on the scout board consider me a McCallie apologist.

And no, I can't change the thread title. Which I'm not convinced needs to be changed but hey I don't have any skin in the thread title.

As a general rule, if you qualify for the Harris-Teeter senior discount, you shouldn't be showing ANY skin on these boards.

Just one (old) man's opinion.

The title needed to be changed because "they" change ALL of the titles of threads on these boards announcing a commitment to the same "Welcome" format.

It is not really the OP's fault, but "their" fault for so quickly changing most such thread titles and leaving this one unchanged while an issue ignited.

Kfanarmy
09-22-2015, 04:25 PM

Lack of an apology to the OP should have engendered enough resistance.

devildeac
09-22-2015, 05:10 PM
I think Odom will average 15 mpg next year. Oh wait, this is a WBB thread.

There it is ...

Now all we need is someone to mention tr*nsfer/s and/or inj*ries for next year's squad. Oh, wait, I just did.:o

(ducks, covers, dons fire/flame retardant attire and beats hasty exit...)

Welcome, Leaonna!!

moonpie23
09-22-2015, 05:14 PM
awesome news!!! WELCOME!!

Pghdukie
09-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Can we please get over this bias comments and get to an important factor of new recruits to the Duke family -- How many cinder blocks ?

MChambers
09-22-2015, 08:27 PM
I have to say that Jim Sumner and Henderson are two of my favorite posters (but I'm [relatively] old, too -- when does Harris Teeter come to my neighborhood and how old do you have to be), and so I am befuddled and bewildered by this thread.

So, welcome to Duke, Leaonna Odom! Everything else is a sideshow.

dudog84
09-24-2015, 09:02 AM
New ESPN 2016 rankings out. Leaonna moves up to #9! Woop Woop!

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2016

CameronBornAndBred
09-24-2015, 09:41 AM
New ESPN 2016 rankings out. Leaonna move us to #9! Woop Woop!

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2016
Leaonna is at the 9 spot, not the team. (Congrats to her!)
I am honestly amazed that I see ANY names on that list as unc commits.

Kedsy
09-24-2015, 10:33 AM
(Congrats to her!)

And congrats to us. Getting the #9 recruit is a big deal.