PDA

View Full Version : All-time Duke Mormon Team?

WillJ
09-15-2015, 08:54 PM
I have a good friend that is a) a Mormon BYU grad and b) a big UNC fan. So naturally I've been rubbing it in that Jabari Parker and now Frank Jackson have chosen Duke. But it got me wondering about which college has had the best collection of Mormon players.

Duke has had Jabari Parker, Chris Burgess (split with Utah), Matt Christensen and, looking ahead Frank Jackson. Am I leaving anyone off the team? Taymon Domzalski?
BYU has had Danny Ainge, Jimmer Fredette, Greg Kite, Michael Smith and Fred Roberts, and a lot of other okay players.
Utah had Tom Chambers, Danny Vranes
Stanford had Casey Jacobson and Mark Madsen.
NCState has Thurl Bailey - who apparently converted while playing in SLC.

So I think it's between Duke and BYU, but Duke needs a fifth to round out our team. Thoughts?

DU82
09-15-2015, 09:47 PM
I have a good friend that is a) a Mormon BYU grad and b) a big UNC fan. So naturally I've been rubbing it in that Jabari Parker and now Frank Jackson have chosen Duke. But it got me wondering about which college has had the best collection of Mormon players.

Duke has had Jabari Parker, Chris Burgess (split with Utah), Matt Christensen and, looking ahead Frank Jackson. Am I leaving anyone off the team? Taymon Domzalski?
BYU has had Danny Ainge, Jimmer Fredette, Greg Kite, Michael Smith and Fred Roberts, and a lot of other okay players.
Utah had Tom Chambers, Danny Vranes
Stanford had Casey Jacobson and Mark Madsen.
NCState has Thurl Bailey - who apparently converted while playing in SLC.

So I think it's between Duke and BYU, but Duke needs a fifth to round out our team. Thoughts?

Mercedes Riggs.

mbwalker
09-15-2015, 09:47 PM
BYU wins, hands down.

Probably not an exhaustive list (Burgess isn't on it), but this page has 30 Mormons who have played in the NBA, 13 from BYU. http://latterdaysports.com/mormons-in-the-nba/

Domzalski wasn't Mormon. I don't think Duke could field a team with Mormons at all five positions.

CDu
09-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Kind of hard to win playing 4 (or until next year 3) against 5. I say BYU wins, both on top-end performers (Parker may eventually catch Ainge but he is not there yet) and depth.

Also, Utah had Burgess for as long as we did, so I think he goes on that list two. So I would give Utah the edge over us, as they have the best player and also can field a full team (lots of decent Mormons on Utah's roster over the years too).

CDu
09-15-2015, 10:00 PM
BYU wins, hands down.

Probably not an exhaustive list (Burgess isn't on it), but this page has 30 Mormons who have played in the NBA, 13 from BYU. http://latterdaysports.com/mormons-in-the-nba/

Domzalski wasn't Mormon. I don't think Duke could field a team with Mormons at all five positions.

Burgess played at Utah, not BYU. And he didn't play in the NBA, so wewouldn't make the list anyway. But I agree: BYU #1, Utah #2, then Duke #3.

Duke95
09-15-2015, 10:13 PM
LOL @ this thread. Can't wait for the off-season to end.

WillJ
09-15-2015, 10:15 PM
BYU wins, hands down.

I think you're right, sadly. Well, our Mormon team is a lot better than UNC's. I've still got that:).

superdave
09-16-2015, 09:01 AM

Can we do the All-Pentacostal Team next!?

killerleft
09-16-2015, 09:37 AM

It doesn't have to be the off-season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xus57BaY3hI

The Northwestern bunch and the Duke bunch will square off this Saturday, and they even have each their own outhouse:)

On-topic: Does Tee Moorman count? That's an All-American right there.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Does having Dr. Moorman as the head of sports medicine at Duke count for anything?