PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 9-15-15

jimsumner
09-15-2015, 02:28 PM
Kelby Brown was named to the All-State AFCA Good Works Team. One of 22 members of the team. He becomes the seventh Blue Devil honored, the fourth in four years, joining Lakeen Tomlinson (2014), Dave Harding (2013), Sean Renfree (2012), Bryan Morgan (2010), Re’Quan Boyette (2008) and Zaid Abdul-Aleem (1994).
Some status updates.

Terrance Alls and T.J. Douglas still practicing, still suspended for games. Cut says he will be proactive in letting us know of any changes and suggested that Sunday would be the date for any announced changes.

Joe Ajeigbe has the brace off his ankle and is practicing. Status for Saturday, TBD. But he is ahead of Jela Duncan, who is running but who has not been cleared for contact work. Cut says that Nico Pierre will remain at running back even after the returns of Ajeigbe and Duncan.

Cody Robinson’s back continues to bother him. Might not happen for him for awhile.

All the right things were said about Northwestern. Cut says he isn’t bothered by the fact that they are ranked and Duke isn’t, noting that they have an impressive victory over a Power-Five team. Says he voted for them in the coaches poll this week.

Cut says the key word to describe Northwestern’s offense is “versatile.” They have a huge offensive line and can line up with two tight ends and try to run the ball down your throat. But they usually play in a spread offense and can do lots of things from that formation.

Duke’s defense is a bit small at several positions and Cut said he does expect Northwestern to attempt to attack that. Dwayne Norman is a 210-pound linebacker and he says “It’s definitely going to be a challenge playing a bigger line than we’re used to. But we’re more athletic and having athletic linebackers who can run from sideline to sideline is the key to our season.”

Kyler Brown is a 240-pound defensive end—that’s small for the position—and expects to be attacked by Northwestern. “Our defensive front has experience with that and knows what it’s like. I’m definitely looking forward to it. It’s a challenge to see what you can do. I’m not going to shy away from it. It gives me a chance to make more plays. Our mentality is to attack and swarm the ball.”

Duke’s tight ends have caught three passes so far, one each for Braxton Deaver, David Reeves and Erich Schneider. In other words, Deaver is on pace for a six-reception regular season.

Don't expect that to last.

Cut says Duke isn’t hiding Deaver but has needed blocking not receiving from its tight ends so far. Says Deaver will have big reception games this season, it’s just impossible to predict when.

I asked Deaver if Duke was hiding him early. Showing a possible future for politics, he answered “I can’t say you are and I can’t say you’re not. But I can tell you we’ve been practicing our butts off and sometimes when the run works, we’re going to keep running the ball and when the pass works, we’re going to be there to catch it.”

I thought I detected a hint of a smile when Deaver responded. A twinkle in the eye.

It should be noted that Deaver threw a crushing block to spring T.J. Rahming against NCCU and says he’s “come into his own as a blocker.”

Another concern. Duke has forced one turnover this season, an interception by Zavier Carmichael against Tulane.

Cutcliffe says he isn’t worried. Duke emphasizes forcing turnovers and practices for that every practice. Cutcliffe is a big process guy and says “it’s going to happen. It’s going to erupt. You’ve got to keep believing and it will start falling your way.”

Norman added “ It has to come from having a special mentality. You have to have 11 guys who are committed to it.”

I talked with Ross Martin about the kick-off philosophy, whether it was better to try for a touchback or better to kick shorter, with greater hang time. “It changes, depending on opponents, for the scheme we’re trying to run. Every kick is different. In the past, we’ve had a lot of variations in our kickoffs. It’s whatever the coaches want, per team, even per kick.”

When discussing the possibility of it warming up a bit for Saturday, Cutcliffe nodded and smiled. Hotter might not be better in the stands but Duke would take hotter on the field against visitors from up North. Or at least that's my read. Maybe he just likes warm weather. :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-15-2015, 02:55 PM
This is the kind of report that makes me smile. Thanks for the latest updates.;)

OldPhiKap
09-15-2015, 02:57 PM
^^ Pure gold as always, Jim. Look forward to watching the whole PC when I get home tonight.

devildeac
09-15-2015, 03:30 PM
Kelby Brown was named to the All-State AFCA Good Works Team. One of 22 members of the team. He becomes the seventh Blue Devil honored, the fourth in four years, joining Lakeen Tomlinson (2014), Dave Harding (2013), Sean Renfree (2012), Bryan Morgan (2010), Re’Quan Boyette (2008) and Zaid Abdul-Aleem (1994).
Some status updates.

Terrance Alls and T.J. Douglas still practicing, still suspended for games. Cut says he will be proactive in letting us know of any changes and suggested that Sunday would be the date for any announced changes.

Joe Ajeigbe has the brace off his ankle and is practicing. Status for Saturday, TBD. But he is ahead of Jela Duncan, who is running but who has not been cleared for contact work. Cut says that Nico Pierre will remain at running back even after the returns of Ajeigbe and Duncan.

Cody Robinson’s back continues to bother him. Might not happen for him for awhile.

All the right things were said about Northwestern. Cut says he isn’t bothered by the fact that they are ranked and Duke isn’t, noting that they have an impressive victory over a Power-Five team. Says he voted for them in the coaches poll this week.

Cut says the key word to describe Northwestern’s offense is “versatile.” They have a huge offensive line and can line up with two tight ends and try to run the ball down your throat. But they usually play in a spread offense and can do lots of things from that formation.

Duke’s defense is a bit small at several positions and Cut said he does expect Northwestern to attempt to attack that. Dwayne Norman is a 210-pound linebacker and he says “It’s definitely going to be a challenge playing a bigger line than we’re used to. But we’re more athletic and having athletic linebackers who can run from sideline to sideline is the key to our season.”

Kyler Brown is a 240-pound defensive end—that’s small for the position—and expects to be attacked by Northwestern. “Our defensive front has experience with that and knows what it’s like. I’m definitely looking forward to it. It’s a challenge to see what you can do. I’m not going to shy away from it. It gives me a chance to make more plays. Our mentality is to attack and swarm the ball.”

Duke’s tight ends have caught three passes so far, one each for Braxton Deaver, David Reeves and Erich Schneider. In other words, Deaver is on pace for a six-reception regular season.

Don't expect that to last.

Cut says Duke isn’t hiding Deaver but has needed blocking not receiving from its tight ends so far. Says Deaver will have big reception games this season, it’s just impossible to predict when.

I asked Deaver if Duke was hiding him early. Showing a possible future for politics, he answered “I can’t say you are and I can’t say you’re not. But I can tell you we’ve been practicing our butts off and sometimes when the run works, we’re going to keep running the ball and when the pass works, we’re going to be there to catch it.”

I thought I detected a hint of a smile when Deaver responded. A twinkle in the eye.

It should be noted that Deaver threw a crushing block to spring T.J. Rahming against NCCU and says he’s “come into his own as a blocker.”

Another concern. Duke has forced one turnover this season, an interception by Zavier Carmichael against Tulane.

Cutcliffe says he isn’t worried. Duke emphasizes forcing turnovers and practices for that every practice. Cutcliffe is a big process guy and says “it’s going to happen. It’s going to erupt. You’ve got to keep believing and it will start falling your way.”

Norman added “ It has to come from having a special mentality. You have to have 11 guys who are committed to it.”

I talked with Ross Martin about the kick-off philosophy, whether it was better to try for a touchback or better to kick shorter, with greater hang time. “It changes, depending on opponents, for the scheme we’re trying to run. Every kick is different. In the past, we’ve had a lot of variations in our kickoffs. It’s whatever the coaches want, per team, even per kick.”

When discussing the possibility of it warming up a bit for Saturday, Cutcliffe nodded and smiled. Hotter might not be better in the stands but Duke would take hotter on the field against visitors from up North. Or at least that's my read. Maybe he just likes warm weather. :)

I'll type a thank you post every week if Jim is going to continue in-depth reports like this all season. Great stuff.

Bob Green
09-15-2015, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the report, Jim! It is very much appreciated. As far as the playbook goes, my expectation is we will see a wrinkle or two this coming Saturday afternoon. Perhaps it will be with the tight ends, or perhaps the slot receivers. I'm certain we will see something for the first time.

devildeac
09-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Don't know where else to post this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/85519/dukes-david-cutcliffe-reaches-out-to-injured-pitt-rb-james-conner

Typed note. Hand-written comment.

Cut=class

duke blue brewcrew
09-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the report, Jim! It is very much appreciated. As far as the playbook goes, my expectation is we will see a wrinkle or two this coming Saturday afternoon. Perhaps it will be with the tight ends, or perhaps the slot receivers. I'm certain we will see something for the first time.

Jim, as always...awesome stuff sir, thank you!

Bob - I agree. I'm in the camp that Coach Cut has been doing his version of an NFL pre-season play calling selection through the first two games, saving some unique and decidedly non-vanilla plays for this week. I can't wait for Saturday to be here, it should be a great game!

cspan37421
12-04-2015, 04:16 PM
Don't know where else to post this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/85519/dukes-david-cutcliffe-reaches-out-to-injured-pitt-rb-james-conner

Typed note. Hand-written comment.

Cut=class

James Conner diagnosed with cancer (Hodgkin lymphoma, NOT non-Hodgkin Lymphoma)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14289872/james-conner-pittsburgh-panthers-announces-cancer

Best wishes to him. He was an absolute stud last year.

budwom
12-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Jim, as always...awesome stuff sir, thank you!

Bob - I agree. I'm in the camp that Coach Cut has been doing his version of an NFL pre-season play calling selection through the first two games, saving some unique and decidedly non-vanilla plays for this week. I can't wait for Saturday to be here, it should be a great game!

Cut should be unleashing Braxton Deaver any day now...

devildeac
12-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Cut should be unleashing Braxton Deaver any day now...

Aren't many days left...

:p