PDA

View Full Version : Duke Student EMTs Save Professor in Cardiac Arrest

Tom B.
09-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Cool story about some Duke kids in action.

https://today.duke.edu/2015/09/dukeems

duke79
09-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Nice story..and glad the professor is OK...thanks for sharing. I think teaching CPR (and the Heimlich (sic) maneuver) should be mandatory in all high schools in the US. You just never know when it might be needed!

Reisen
09-15-2015, 04:52 PM
Congrats to the students, and the CPR couldn't have hurt, but the big win was getting an AED to him quickly. I'm CPR certified (for both adults and children/infants), but IMO, the most important thing I know is where the AED is located in my office. How to use it is second, because most AEDs now give both written and recorded directions.

The article called out the need for more AEDs at Duke. Hopefully the administration takes that request seriously.

weezie
09-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Article says three shocks. Wow. He's a lucky man. And, he's popular!

cspan37421
09-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

devildeac
09-15-2015, 05:40 PM
They ain't cheap at about $3K each and replacement batteries are pretty spendy, too. However, we had one in my old office about 7 years ago and used it on the first chemical stress test (echo) we performed and my ACLS-trained staff was fabulous. Waited 15-30 seconds (seemed like 15-30 minutes:o) for the guy to pass out as we readied the device, shocked once and had the guy alive and awake before EMS arrived to transport him through the building to the hospital.

kkwst2
09-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Congrats to the students, and the CPR couldn't have hurt, but the big win was getting an AED to him quickly. I'm CPR certified (for both adults and children/infants), but IMO, the most important thing I know is where the AED is located in my office. How to use it is second, because most AEDs now give both written and recorded directions.

The article called out the need for more AEDs at Duke. Hopefully the administration takes that request seriously.

Absolutely. I would argue that there is enough evidence that this is fact, not opinion. CPR is fairly ineffective, especially in older, bigger patients. The old mantra about never leave is wrong. If you are the only one there and know where an AED is, go get it and call EMS on the way if you can.

allenmurray
09-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Nice story..and glad the professor is OK...thanks for sharing. I think teaching CPR (and the Heimlich (sic) maneuver) should be mandatory in all high schools in the US. You just never know when it might be needed!

It has been a requirement in North Carolina Public Schools for the last three years.

arnie
09-17-2015, 05:56 PM
It has been a requirement in North Carolina Public Schools for the last three years.

Good to hear that. Hopefully attendance requirements more rigorous than flagship's AFAM classes.