PDA

View Full Version : Cal praises K

Billy Dat
09-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Very kind word from Cal about K in Andy Katz's video blog today:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13658517

Mabe he's (Cal) feeling less insecure now that he's a Hall of Famer, maybe it's part of his ongoing attempt (IMHO) to position himself as K's heir apparent with Team USA, maybe it's just the next passive aggressive salvo at the summit of the college basketball world...who knows.

MarkD83
09-15-2015, 12:31 PM
I vote for passive aggressive. Cal loves to see his name in the paper.

uh_no
09-15-2015, 01:11 PM

Mabe he's (Cal) feeling less insecure now that he's a Hall of Famer, maybe it's part of his ongoing attempt (IMHO) to position himself as K's heir apparent with Team USA, maybe it's just the next passive aggressive salvo at the summit of the college basketball world...who knows.

oh god. just what we need at team USA....a coach that can't actually coach and despite having the most talented teams regularly, also regularly chokes away the big games.

FerryFor50
09-15-2015, 01:45 PM

Are you suggesting that Cal would ever have an ulterior motive? Hard to fathom... :)

Troublemaker
09-15-2015, 02:37 PM
The 15 CBB programs best positioned for success over the next 5 years (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25301715/duke-has-the-best-chance-of-success-over-the-next-five-years), according to CBS Sports

Duke #1, UK #2

ACC in the rankings: Duke #1, UVA #5, Louisville #7, UNC #8, NCSU #15

Interesting list.

Tough to argue with the top 4 (that has Kansas #3 and Arizona #4). Those are the 4 programs that consistently get the top recruits right now.

UNC at #8 might be overrated, depending on where you stand on the hammer

Ohio St at #10 is fair based on recent results, but Matta is a formidable recruiter, and they could easily turn out to be underrated here.

UVA at #5 would've struck me as grossly overrated, but then they've recruited so well in the 2016 class. Bennett continues to raise the bar on their recruiting.

Gonzaga seems high at #6.

weezie
09-15-2015, 04:52 PM
I may have posted this before but there was an NPR story on Cal that included the fact that he goes to Mass every day.
Every......day.
Rather fascinating.

weezie
09-15-2015, 04:54 PM
...Gonzaga seems high at #6.

What?! The media darling, the scrappy little giant-fighter? They are always and forever over-rated.

PackMan97
09-15-2015, 05:12 PM
The 15 CBB programs best positioned for success over the next 5 years (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25301715/duke-has-the-best-chance-of-success-over-the-next-five-years), according to CBS Sports

UNC at #8 might be overrated, depending on where you stand on the hammer

UNC at #8 is very clearly WHY the hammer is needed. Right now they have suffered very little for their cheating. Sure, things look more bleak after this year due to lackluster recruiting, but that's the thing with basketball you are only ever two top 10 players away from relevance.

devildeac
09-15-2015, 05:30 PM
I may have posted this before but there was an NPR story on Cal that included the fact that he goes to Mass every day.
Every......day.
Rather fascinating.

I didn't think he'd ever be welcomed at Mass again...

OldPhiKap
09-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Every......day.
Rather fascinating.

Some of us need greater absolution than others.

NYBri
09-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Some of us need greater absolution than others.

Spork machine won't let me, but here is a verbal sporke.

duke blue brewcrew
09-15-2015, 06:15 PM

I think the real reason he want's to see all of his kids on Team USA, isn't because of what Coach K can do for them, but so that Cal can market it as..."Hey, look what I did. Those are my former K-Y players who ARE Team USA." Of course he would jump at the chance to coach Team USA, he fully realizes the benefits that Coach K got from it. The caveat though, is that he has to be successful at it to reap the benefits of the position. Otherwise, the opposite could happen.

I do like the idea that Katz was discussing late in that clip. Alumni getting together to play match-ups against other schools. It would be fun to watch Blue Devils Alumni come back and lace them up again against some former Cheater Hill players. I would watch that for sure.

Edouble
09-15-2015, 06:36 PM
What's weird about Cal wanting his kids on Team USA? What's weird about him having the utmost respect for Coach K? You can think the guy is a slimeball, but that doesn't preclude him for knowing the best when he sees it. Would you rather him say "Coach K is pretty good, but it's not that big of a commitment and many other coaches could be as successful"? I mean... the guy can't do anything right with some of y'all.

Merlindevildog91
09-15-2015, 06:41 PM

What? You mean he doesn't have an ongoing commitment with the Dominican Republic?

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-16-2015, 08:42 AM
My bet is Cal would never take the USA coaching gig. K has set the bar so high that Cal would only risk failure. And Cal doesn't want to be exposed. Pitino on the other hand... ba da bump.

cato
09-16-2015, 11:24 AM
My bet is Cal would never take the USA coaching gig. K has set the bar so high that Cal would only risk failure. And Cal doesn't want to be exposed. Pitino on the other hand... ba da bump.

Exposed as what? Cal has been very successful coaching NBA talent in college. I see no reason to think he fail coaching elite NBA talent in international ball. He has sufficient stature for the players to listen and is a very good coach.

He may not ever reach the level of success Coach K has reached, but he's got the best shot of any current college coach if he stays at Kentucky. He is a monster recruiter, and has proven he can win it all. One or two things happen differently, he would have coached arguably the most successful college team of all time this past year.

I would never trade K for Cal. But I see no reason to disrespect his accomplishments as a coach.

flyingdutchdevil
09-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Exposed as what? Cal has been very successful coaching NBA talent in college. I see no reason to think he fail coaching elite NBA talent in international ball. He has sufficient stature for the players to listen and is a very good coach.

He may not ever reach the level of success Coach K has reached, but he's got the best shot of any current college coach if he stays at Kentucky. He is a monster recruiter, and has proven he can win it all. One or two things happen differently, he would have coached arguably the most successful college team of all time this past year.

I would never trade K for Cal. But I see no reason to disrespect his accomplishments as a coach.

Yeah...this post sums up my feelings about Cal and Kentucky. I like neither of them, but they are damn good at coaching and basketball, respectively.

FWIW, I completely agree with Cal that a 38-0 start will never happen for a BCS program again.

Steven43
09-16-2015, 01:03 PM
FWIW, I completely agree with Cal that a 38-0 start will never happen for a BCS program again.
And why not? What would preclude another program from recruiting highly-ranked players two years in a row and having all of the second-years return because some of them turn out to not have lottery-pick potential as had originally been thought and another one or two could-have-been OADs simply choose to stay for their sophomore year? You can accumulate a ton of talent in two years. And say that program also has some juniors and seniors on the roster for experience, leadership, etc. Why couldn't a roster with that much talent and really good coaching go undefeated?

Let's just say that Tyus and Justise had been thought of as late first-rounders and decided to come back for a second year to play themselves into the lottery, and Jahlil simply decided he wanted another year of playing college basketball and being a student.

Do you not think a roster that included Jahlil Okafor, Brandon Ingram, Tyus Jones, Amile Jefferson, Luke Kennard, Grayson Allen, Matt Jones, Chase Jeter, Sean Obi, Derryck Thornton, Marshall Plumlee, and Justise Winslow would not have a decent chance of starting 38-0? I know it's unlikely that it all would come together in that manner, but it did for Kentucky last season. Why couldn't it happen again?

MarkD83
09-16-2015, 01:40 PM
And why not? What would preclude another program from recruiting highly-ranked players two years in a row and having all of the second-years return because some of them turn out to not have lottery-pick potential as had originally been thought and another one or two could-have-been OADs simply choose to stay for their sophomore year? You can accumulate a ton of talent in two years. And say that program also has some juniors and seniors on the roster for experience, leadership, etc. Why couldn't a roster with that much talent and really good coaching go undefeated?

Cal is also sandbagging a bit. A school could adjust their non-conference schedule so that the team described above would win all of those games. If the school was also in a conference where the rest of the league is down and they are loaded (lets say the SEC in 2014-15) there would only be a few games that would stand in the way of that team going undefeated in their regular season and tournament. Chances are an undefeated team going into the NCAAs would get a number 1 seed, so the first two rounds would be easy. The regional semis and regional finals then become the at risk games to preventing a team from being 38-0. I am not saying 38-0 is easy but you can start to look around at some conferences and put together a short list of teams that would have all of the stars align in the right direction. Kansas and Kentucky come to mind off the top of my head and if a Pac-12 school would load up on talent (Arizona) that is possible as well.

uh_no
09-16-2015, 01:45 PM
I see no reason to think he fail coaching elite NBA talent in international ball. He has sufficient stature for the players to listen and is a very good coach.

Well, he failed at coaching in the NBA already, for one.

and the way his teams play when they finally reach actual competition is abysmal. they beat up on weak teams all year, and then they consistently fall apart when they reach the last rounds of the tournament and can't get by on talent alone.

shooting 32 threes against UWV in 2010? was that good coaching?

playing ND last year, his comments on what the team needed to do better was "we'll be fine". He has no clue how to adjust when his talent can't do it alone. they won that game when ND tried to play hero ball...not because they did anything different.

and then they ran into frank the tank and had no clue.

but for one year, it's the same story every year for UK.
1) recruit well
2) beat up on crap teams all year
3) get a good seed/bracket because of gaudy record against crap teams
4) beat crap teams on talent alone
5) lose to a good team when they finally play them.

vaunted dribble drive offense? might as well call it the headless chicken offense. watch it closely. they have no clue what to do when they run into good team defense. their good defense? mostly just athleticism. there was no discipline in it...

good coach? calipari? there are probably dozens other college coaches i'd take (at least) before thinking about calipari from a coaching standpoint. (obviously recruiting is a different story)

flyingdutchdevil
09-16-2015, 01:56 PM

Let's just say that Tyus and Justise had been thought of as late first-rounders and decided to come back for a second year to play themselves into the lottery, and Jahlil simply decided he wanted another year of playing college basketball and being a student.

Do you not think a roster that included Jahlil Okafor, Brandon Ingram, Tyus Jones, Amile Jefferson, Luke Kennard, Grayson Allen, Matt Jones, Chase Jeter, Sean Obi, Derryck Thornton, Marshall Plumlee, and Justise Winslow would not have a decent chance of starting 38-0? I know it's unlikely that it all would come together in that manner, but it did for Kentucky last season. Why couldn't it happen again?

I think you answered the question for me. High potential players are rarely - if ever - going to stick around. What happened at Kentucky was a product of a) Harrison twins being second round picks and wanting to play into the first round (didn't happen), WCS getting injured badly during his sophomore year, and an insane influx of talent which included the #1 player in the NBA draft and solid supporting characters. It takes a lot for those stars to align.

The cream of the crop at Duke WILL NOT stay at Duke. Times have changed, and the whole coaching staff knows that. Ingram is gone after this year and already replaced (Jayson Tatum). The coaching staff knows more about Thornton and Grayson but it wouldn't surprise me to see them leave. Also, with Duke's system of a high influx of new talent every year, we SHOULD expect a few losses every year. It's the nature of having new blood in a new system.

What Calipari accomplished, IMO, is remarkable because we was able to gel a new team very quickly. Also, despite being nearly perfect in record, the team was far from perfect (Harrison twins? Come on).

Can 38-0 happen again? Sure. Kinda like I can win the lottery if I buy a ticket. So I'll leave with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM

flyingdutchdevil
09-16-2015, 02:04 PM
Cal is also sandbagging a bit. A school could adjust their non-conference schedule so that the team described above would win all of those games. If the school was also in a conference where the rest of the league is down and they are loaded (lets say the SEC in 2014-15) there would only be a few games that would stand in the way of that team going undefeated in their regular season and tournament. Chances are an undefeated team going into the NCAAs would get a number 1 seed, so the first two rounds would be easy. The regional semis and regional finals then become the at risk games to preventing a team from being 38-0. I am not saying 38-0 is easy but you can start to look around at some conferences and put together a short list of teams that would have all of the stars align in the right direction. Kansas and Kentucky come to mind off the top of my head and if a Pac-12 school would load up on talent (Arizona) that is possible as well.

Sure, but Kentucky certainly did not do that last year. Not sure what the rationale was (probably that Cal knew the SEC sucked), he scheduled a very impressive non-conference schedule (including year-end KenPom ranking):

Kansas (14)
Providence (30)
Texas (25)
North Carolina (11)
UCLA (33)
Louisville (16)

Of course, there are cupcakes, but the above is pretty solid. But I'd argue that Kentucky's 38-0 is even more impressive given their non-cupcake non-conference schedule.

Indoor66
09-16-2015, 03:32 PM
Sure, but Kentucky certainly did not do that last year. Not sure what the rationale was (probably that Cal knew the SEC sucked), he scheduled a very impressive non-conference schedule (including year-end KenPom ranking):

Kansas (14)
Providence (30)
Texas (25)
North Carolina (11)
UCLA (33)
Louisville (16)

Of course, there are cupcakes, but the above is pretty solid. But I'd argue that Kentucky's 38-0 is even more impressive given their non-cupcake non-conference schedule.

Who has the trophy? I rest my case.

bob blue devil
09-16-2015, 03:56 PM
38-0 is extraordinary, but let's not get carried away. They beat a grand total of 5 top 25 Kenpom teams, with only ND at 9 in the top 10. It seems like every few years we get an undefeated mid major (might as well call any conference not the acc a mid-major at this point) in the tourney - it's certainly possible that another could make a final4.

-jk
09-16-2015, 04:45 PM
What Calipari does well - and many other Olympic coaches haven't - is get players to buy into his system. He manages egos. That's a huge plus with NBA players.

Still can't stand him...

-jk

Edouble
09-16-2015, 05:20 PM
Well, he failed at coaching in the NBA already, for one.

and the way his teams play when they finally reach actual competition is abysmal. they beat up on weak teams all year, and then they consistently fall apart when they reach the last rounds of the tournament and can't get by on talent alone.

playing ND last year, his comments on what the team needed to do better was "we'll be fine". He has no clue how to adjust when his talent can't do it alone. they won that game when ND tried to play hero ball...not because they did anything different.

and then they ran into frank the tank and had no clue.

1) recruit well

vaunted dribble drive offense? might as well call it the headless chicken offense. watch it closely. they have no clue what to do when they run into good team defense. their good defense? mostly just athleticism. there was no discipline in it...

good coach? calipari? there are probably dozens other college coaches i'd take (at least) before thinking about calipari from a coaching standpoint. (obviously recruiting is a different story)

Except that they did the exact opposite of this two years ago.

flyingdutchdevil
09-16-2015, 05:29 PM
Who has the trophy? I rest my case.

Does that also mean that Duke's 16-0 ACC record in 1999 is irrelevant? Just playin devil's advocate.

Edouble
09-16-2015, 05:30 PM

I completely agree with your opinion, that a team could go 38-0 again, but completely disagree with your reasoning.

A player like Justise Winslow, an athletic wing who was the best player in the month of March, will never be thought of as a late first rounder. He was drafted at the bottom of the Top 10 and this was a major drop.

Even Jabari Parker, who was supposed to be "different", bolted for the draft in lieu of enjoying another year of college basketball and college life. Jason Williams was 15 years ago. Kids just aren't coming back for an extra year of college when they can go in the lottery. This scenario with Justise as a late first round pick and Jahlil giving up one of the top spots in the draft, in the same year... not realistic.

Equally unlikely in this scenario is that if Justise and Tyus stay, Brandon Ingram and Derryck Thornton decide to come to Duke. Those guys would go elsewhere. This mega team would never assemble.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-16-2015, 05:49 PM
But 38-0 had much more to do with incredible recruiting and modest (not easy) schedule than it did world class coaching. Sorry. I don't buy it. Cal is a recruiting machine. As far as real coaching goes, he's average. Lots of guys could do what he's done with the talent he's had. Some would have done more.

I stand by my opinion that Cal would be exposed as a so-so coach if he were to take on the Olympic team coaching role. And I doubt he wants to be the one who loses after K has rattled off so many victories and championships in a row. Cal is a self promoter. And the Olympic job only brings risk for him.

Edouble
09-16-2015, 05:56 PM
But 38-0 had much more to do with incredible recruiting and modest (not easy) schedule than it did world class coaching. Sorry. I don't buy it. Cal is a recruiting machine. As far as real coaching goes, he's average. Lots of guys could do what he's done with the talent he's had. Some would have done more.

I stand by my opinion that Cal would be exposed as a so-so coach if he were to take on the Olympic team coaching role. And I doubt he wants to be the one who loses after K has rattled off so many victories and championships in a row. Cal is a self promoter. And the Olympic job only brings risk for him.

And I still don't buy the recruiting. Or maybe it's just player development, but some of the guys on the 38-0 squad were not that good... starting with the Harrison twins. Or perhaps not as good as their recruiting rankings would suggest.

I thought there were a lot on one-trick-pony-types on that squad. The schedule, as you mention Dr., had much to do with the record.

JPtheGame
09-16-2015, 06:35 PM
Yeah...this post sums up my feelings about Cal and Kentucky. I like neither of them, but they are damn good at coaching and basketball, respectively.

It'll happen in 2016 assuming k completes his master class (Giles, plus). Experienced talent on the perimeter, good size inside and those new electric talents will give k his best shot to complete the resume with a perfect season

Olympic Fan
09-16-2015, 07:17 PM

1) recruit well

While I agree with a lot of what you say about Cal's coaching, I think this is wrong .. he's alternated great seasons with disappointing finishes and mediocre years with great finishes ... he's had one year that was great all the way ... and one year that was terrible all the way.

2010 -- 35 wins, No. 2 in the final AP poll and a No. 1 seed -- lost in the Elite Eight to West Virginia
2011 -- 29 wins, No. 15 in final AP poll and a No. 4 seed -- reached Final Four
2012 -- 38 wins, No. 1 in final AP poll and a No. 1 seed -- won national championship
2013 -- 21 wins, unranked and relegated to the NIT -- lost in the first round
2014 -- 29 wins, unranked in the final AP poll (actually 28th in votes) and a No. 8 seed -- reached the Final Four (lost in the title game)
2015 -- 38 wins, No. 1 in the final AP poll, No. 1 seed -- reached the Final Four

As I see it, they had the one terrible team (2013), the one great team that won it all as expected (2012), two great teams that slightly underachieved (2010 and 2015) and two teams that overachieved in the NCAAs (2011 and 2014).

Over all, I'd say that one national title, four Final Fours and an Elite Eight in a six-year span is not a terrible postseason record.

He's had great success at Kentucky ... and to a large extent, Coach K has come closer to doing things Cal's way by building his teams with one-and-dones.

That said, the thing that annoys me about Cal is his ego -- he's kind of like an NCAA version of Donald Trump (without the bad hair). He invented the dribble drive? He invented the "stretch four"? He's rather win 38 straight than the national title? Having five players drafted was the greatest night in Kentucky basketball history? Give me a break.

His recent nice words for K are in sharp contrast to a year ago, when he was widely acknowledged to be the source of Adrian Wojo's hit piece.

MarkD83
09-16-2015, 07:33 PM

Kansas (14)
Providence (30)
Texas (25)
North Carolina (11)
UCLA (33)
Louisville (16)

But did Cal do this because he knew the SEC was weak and he would be endanger of a low seed if he did not schedule these 6 teams?

MarkD83
09-16-2015, 07:37 PM
Man I just realized we've been duped. The whole reason Cal says these things is so that he and Ky are always on everyone's mind.

We need to stop adding comments and let this drop off the first page.

uh_no
09-16-2015, 11:15 PM
Over all, I'd say that one national title, four Final Fours and an Elite Eight in a six-year span is not a terrible postseason record.

I'm not arguing that it's not a great postseason record. he's had great success. My argument is that when he loses in the tournament, combined with the WAY his teams lose or nearly lose indicate that UK has reached a team that they can't beat on talent alone and the coaching isn't good enough to put them in positions to win those games consistently....as the fact with so many incredibly talented teams, they've only managed to win once despite going deep seemingly every year.

2015: they were the best rebounding team ever? right? until they ran into a team that could actually rebound. then they were lost. they were the best defense IN HISTORY! until they ran into ND who actually ran a competent offense....and they should have lost that game by all rights
2014: harrison-hero-balled their way through a weak field and lost to uconn...i didn't see anything special about this team other than aaron harrison's ability to make timely threes...and then they lost to a much less talented uconn team (if i recall, aaron harrison started trying to jack his hero threes here too)
2013: robert morris?
2012: fear the eyebrow!
2011: uconn turned on defense, kentucky started playing hero ball (aka jacking threes) and lost
2010: 87 threes against wv

i'm sure i could have been more detailed on their losses (especially against uconn) at the time...but as we both agree, i've never seen anything to demonstrate caliparis ability as an x's and o's coach.

Calipari can win IF he has the more talented of the two teams AND everything goes right. has he EVER won with a team not loaded with first rounders? nope. and he never will. even when he won his, he had to have a couple guys stick around for a second year. this year he had that and STILL couldn't get it done.

here's a good way to think about it.

Does calipari beat his UK team if he were coaching wisconsin instead?
does calipari beat his UK team if he were coaching shabazz and uconn?
does calipari beat his UK team with kemba and co?
does calipari beat his UK team if he were coaching that west virginia team?

at least in my opinion, the answer to each of these questions is a resounding no. Anybody could win with the talent calipari has, and to me the most shocking thing is that he HASN'T managed to win more.

he is and will always be just a great recruiter.

Steven43
09-17-2015, 12:43 AM
2010: 87 threes against WV
Wait a minute. Wait just a minute. Did you really intend to write '87 threes'? Seriously? Kentucky attempted 87 three-point shots in one game? EIGHTY SEVEN??? If true I am beyond shocked.

gurufrisbee
09-17-2015, 12:45 AM
What?! The media darling, the scrappy little giant-fighter? They are always and forever over-rated.

You mean the Elite Eight team that was within 2 points of the national champions with 4.5 minutes left in the game? Seven years in a row of winning at least one game in the tournament? Three sweet sixteens in the last decade? Exactly who has that "over-rated" resume?

brevity
09-17-2015, 02:23 AM

2010: 87 threes against wv

Wait a minute. Wait just a minute. Did you really intend to write '87 threes'? Seriously? Kentucky attempted 87 three-point shots in one game? EIGHTY SEVEN??? If true I am beyond shocked.

The first statement is accurate, the second an exaggeration. Consult the box score (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=300860096). Kentucky shot 4/32 from long distance. The starters were 1/18.

Ugh, another Cal thread. I have a greater tolerance for Calipari than most of you, but I tire of reading the same stuff over and over. Put it this way: he's won the same number of titles as Tom Izzo, but can't really blame Duke or UNC for his tournament misfortune. He has players of greater talent who find lesser ways to lose.

Jeff Frosh
09-17-2015, 07:20 AM

Of course it is highly unlikely, but I think it is certainly possible. Even Coach K has said that Duke 2011 may have been a toe away from running the table.

Indoor66
09-17-2015, 07:57 AM

You must be from Casablanca.

ChillinDuke
09-17-2015, 08:28 AM
Ugh, another Cal thread. I have a greater tolerance for Calipari than most of you, but I tire of reading the same stuff over and over. Put it this way: he's won the same number of titles as Tom Izzo, but can't really blame Duke or UNC for his tournament misfortune. He has players of greater talent who find lesser ways to lose.

This is pretty much how I see it too. The nuances of these sentences imply everything about Cal.

- Chillin

Steven43
09-17-2015, 08:46 AM

Not sure what that means, but it's probably not a compliment.

flyingdutchdevil
09-17-2015, 08:59 AM
This is pretty much how I see it too. The nuances of these sentences imply everything about Cal.

- Chillin

Well, the off-season in DBR is filled with minute discussions, random historical Duke threads, and complaining about fill-in-the-blank threads

ChillinDuke
09-17-2015, 09:15 AM
Well, the off-season in DBR is filled with minute discussions, random historical Duke threads, and complaining about fill-in-the-blank threads

I meant I agreed with the sentences about Cal. Not the tired of complaining part because, well, I complain a lot in the Offseason.

- Chillin

devildeac
09-17-2015, 09:34 AM

Not sure what that means, but it's probably not a compliment.

From Casablanca:

“I’m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here!”

So....

"Here's looking at you..."

;)

Tom B.
09-17-2015, 10:09 AM
From Casablanca:

"Your winnings, sir."

devildeac
09-17-2015, 10:18 AM
"Your winnings, sir."

"Oh, thank you very much. Everybody out at once!"

Indoor66
09-17-2015, 10:22 AM
From Casablanca:

So....

"Here's looking at you..."

;)

"Play it again"

devildeac
09-17-2015, 10:59 AM
"Play it again"

Not quite:

"Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake."

And I think Renault and Rick don't like Cal either:o.

Indoor66
09-17-2015, 11:21 AM
Not quite:

"Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake."

And I think Renault and Rick don't like Cal either:o.

Actually, we both got it wrong. He said "Play it, Sam." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_it_again,_Sam)

devildeac
09-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Actually, we both got it wrong. He said "Play it, Sam." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_it_again,_Sam)

You're gonna force me to watch that again this weekend;). Both Ilsa and Rick may have asked Sam to play As Time Goes By at different times during the movie so I'll say we're both semi-correct.:o

I'll bet Cal wouldn't gamble in Morocco :rolleyes: .

Indoor66
09-17-2015, 11:45 AM
You're gonna force me to watch that again this weekend;). Both Ilsa and Rick may have asked Sam to play As Time Goes By at different times during the movie so I'll say we're both semi-correct.:o

Is semi-correct like a little pregnant? :cool:

rasputin
09-17-2015, 12:15 PM

I think Ilsa says "Play it, Sam." Rick does not; he does say "Play it."

Olympic Fan
09-17-2015, 01:19 PM
I think Ilsa says "Play it, Sam." Rick does not; he does say "Play it."

But the point is, neither says: "Play it again, Sam" as is often quoted (including the title of a Woody Allen movie).

Another botched quote -- the Bogey line at the end of the Maltese Falcon when he's fondling the fake Falcon and the cop asks him what it is.

"The stuff that dreams are made of" Bogey says.

The original line from Shakespeare's The Tempest is "We are such stuff as dreams are made on" Come to think of it, Coach Cal(iban) does have a major role in that play.

BTW: Since I mentioned Woody's Play It Again Sam, did anybody else ever see the Second City parody, "Play it again, Bob"? With Rick Moranis (a great Woodman impersonation) trying to help Bob Hope (a great Dave Thomas impersonation) win an academy award -- helped by the ghost of Bing Crosby (an awesome Joe Flaherty)?