PDA

View Full Version : Obi gets a ring?

SupaDave
09-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Did something change? I remember there being a lot of talk about Seth not getting a ring b/c he wasn't on the active roster but low and behold, there's Obi showing off his ring with the rest of the guys. This is GREAT - but does it mean that Seth can get that ring now too?

superdave
09-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Did something change? I remember there being a lot of talk about Seth not getting a ring b/c he wasn't on the active roster but low and behold, there's Obi showing off his ring with the rest of the guys. This is GREAT - but does it mean that Seth can get that ring now too?

I saw that as well. I hope the Ncaa can be adults about this sort of thing. I'd love to hear the backstory on this and how it changed.

El_Diablo
09-08-2015, 11:24 AM
I think he just has to pay for it himself.

subzero02
09-08-2015, 11:25 AM
I mentioned this last night in the 1 for the thumb thread. Furniture indicated that Curry eventually got a ring because his parents paid for it. Maybe the NCAA has changed its rules or maybe Obi paid for it himself. Regardless,it's a good look.

OldPhiKap
09-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Bling for a guy who is already the sartorial leader of the team.

Look out, ladies. Obi's coming to town . . . .

yancem
09-08-2015, 11:33 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Seems like it was a stupid rule so maybe they got rid of it. On another note who else gets rings? The AD? Trainers? Team managers? Just curious who all ends up with a ring.

sagegrouse
09-08-2015, 12:07 PM
I mentioned this last night in the 1 for the thumb thread. Furniture indicated that Curry eventually got a ring because his parents paid for it. Maybe the NCAA has changed its rules or maybe Obi paid for it himself. Regardless,it's a good look.

It was me. I remember the DBR story from five years ago (although I can't remember anything else). But, isn't this the kind of thing where a school merely notifies the NCAA what it is doing? It is allowing certain folks to go to the ring mfr. and execute a private transaction.

sagegrouse
09-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Bling for a guy who is already the sartorial leader of the team.

Look out, ladies. Obi's coming to town . . . .

Perhaps Obi will have an influence on team unis and the like, such as warm-ups in the style of tuxedo jackets.

SCMatt33
09-08-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm posting from my phone so don't have a link or quote, but I did look it up last night and the rule has not changed. To receive an award for a championship, a player must be eligible to participate in said championship. The rule book is not clear, however, on whether he could purchase one from the school, or if he would technically have to call up Jostens and buy one directly.

devildeac
09-08-2015, 12:26 PM
I'm posting from my phone so don't have a link or quote, but I did look it up last night and the rule has not changed. To receive an award for a championship, a player must be eligible to participate in said championship. The rule book is not clear, however, on whether he could purchase one from the school, or if he would technically have to call up Jostens and buy one directly.

And if someone connected with the program (coaches, other players, managers, athletic/ID officials, DBR posters, etc) buy him a ring, it'd likely be an NCAA violation. Unless, of course, Larry the Hat did it...

Hmmm......

swood1000
09-08-2015, 12:40 PM
It was me. I remember the DBR story from five years ago (although I can't remember anything else). But, isn't this the kind of thing where a school merely notifies the NCAA what it is doing? It is allowing certain folks to go to the ring mfr. and execute a private transaction.
To avoid a special benefit to the athlete they probably then have to allow any member of the general public to do the same thing.

devildeac
09-08-2015, 01:03 PM
To avoid a special benefit to the athlete they probably then have to allow any member of the general public to do the same thing.

Ahhh, the unc defense:rolleyes:.

Duke95
09-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Adam Silver overruled the NCAA and said it's ok for Obi to get a ring.
Then Tim Cook said he'd take away the NCAA's iPads if they didn't agree.

That's how we roll.

;)

Edouble
09-08-2015, 01:57 PM

The rule book is not clear, however, on whether he could purchase one from the school, or if he would technically have to call up Jostens and buy one directly.

Anyone have the number for Jostens? I'm gettin' my ring!

sagegrouse
09-08-2015, 02:34 PM

Duke would not allow that. I am sure that some AD staff get rings courtesy of the school; others may be allowed to buy. The outcome of "ineligible transfers" buying rings then would require consultation with the NCAA.

El_Diablo
09-08-2015, 02:41 PM

I believe the impermissible benefits test applies with respect to other Duke students, not the general public. Regardless, the Jostens championship ring catalog is located here:

http://www.jostens.com/sports/championship-rings-jewelry.html

wilko
09-08-2015, 02:58 PM
.... "Those are not the rings you are looking for"....

rocketeli
09-08-2015, 07:09 PM
I would guess that a "championship ring" is NOT an official award. The NCAA does (or did, I've seen one that a Duke soccer team member had back in the day, abandoned in a dorm room over the summer) hand out paper certificates as official awards to each player who would have been eligible to get in the championship game. Is there another NCAA reg that stipulates that the school may give some reasonable token to all relevant personnel after a championship? I'm sure Coach K got a ring for 2015 and I'm pretty sure he already used up his eligibility. Perhaps the players actually purchase the rings, and they are technically available to all and sundry, if they could just find that link, to avoid impermissible benefits etc.?

Duke95
09-08-2015, 08:18 PM
This has to be the most pointless discussion of the year.

Olympic Fan
09-08-2015, 08:41 PM
I found this article citing the NCAA rule on rings and other championship awards:

http://onepointsafety.com/2012/08/17/the-ring-rule/

Note, it includes no mention of allowing ineligible student-athletes (such as Obi last year) to buy a ring.

I will say that this rule does not apply to Krzyzewski, his assistants or other staff members -- they are not student-athletes and are not limited by NCAA benefit limits.

It also seems to me, reading the rule, that UNC football is in serious violation for giving rings to their players in a year when they definitely did NOT win a championship of any kind/ If the NCAA is going to allow the UNC football team to give out 80-plus illegal rings, then I doubt that Obi's ring comes into question.

SCMatt33
09-08-2015, 08:53 PM
I would guess that a "championship ring" is NOT an official award. The NCAA does (or did, I've seen one that a Duke soccer team member had back in the day, abandoned in a dorm room over the summer) hand out paper certificates as official awards to each player who would have been eligible to get in the championship game. Is there another NCAA reg that stipulates that the school may give some reasonable token to all relevant personnel after a championship? I'm sure Coach K got a ring for 2015 and I'm pretty sure he already used up his eligibility. Perhaps the players actually purchase the rings, and they are technically available to all and sundry, if they could just find that link, to avoid impermissible benefits etc.?

So the NCAA unsurprisingly has some pretty specific rules regarding awards. In fact, an entire bylaw (Bylaw 16, found on page 211 of the DI manual, or page 225 of the actual pdf linked (http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D116.pdf)) outlines exactly who can provide awards to athletes for certain accomplishments, ranging from general team participation all the way to national championships, while also carving out allowed exceptions for individual awards (i.e. Heisman Trophy or ACC player of the Week) as well as non collegiate awards (Olympic medals, U.S. Amateur golf championships, etc.). Nestled in there is a table that sums it up pretty well. The main point to remember is that more than one group can give out awards. For a national championship, the NCAA can give out awards for participation of unlimited value. Presumably, this would cover championship T-shirts, hats, etc. as well as all that Final Four gear the players were sporting during the championship run. Additionally, both the school and the conference can each present an award valued at up to $415 each, or designate another organization to give an award in its place. Presumably, this provides some leeway for the ring/watch combo everyone received.

As far as Obi is concerned, the relevant passage is as follows (emphasis mine):

16.1.4.2 Awards for Winning Conference and National Championships. [A] Awards for winning an
individual or team conference or national championship may be presented each year, limited in value and number
as specified in Figure 16-2. Awards for winning a conference or national championship in a team sport may
be provided only to student-athletes who were eligible to participate in the championship event. The total value
of any single award received for a national championship may not exceed $415. The total value of any single
award received for a conference championship may not exceed $325, and each permissible awarding agency is
subject to a separate $325 limit per award. Each permissible awarding agency may provide only a single award
for each championship to each student-athlete. Separate awards may be presented to both the regular-season
conference champion and the postseason conference champion (with a separate $325 limitation), but if the same
institution wins both the regular-season and postseason conference championship, the combined value of both
awards shall not exceed $325. [R] (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02, 8/7/14)

From that, I would gather that the school couldn't provide Obi a ring, but perhaps there have been some new interpretations or something on what "participate" means, and it merely means taking part in team activities such as practice, which would only exclude certain types of redshirt players (like freshman non-qualifiers). I really have no idea, but given the big deal that they made about it with Seth, I'm sure they had a plan in place with the compliance office well before they won the title this year.

El_Diablo
09-08-2015, 09:09 PM
From that, I would gather that the school couldn't provide Obi a ring, but perhaps there have been some new interpretations or something on what "participate" means, and it merely means taking part in team activities such as practice, which would only exclude certain types of redshirt players (like freshman non-qualifiers). I really have no idea, but given the big deal that they made about it with Seth, I'm sure they had a plan in place with the compliance office well before they won the title this year.

Maybe he just paid for a ring out of his own pocket, in which case the school didn't provide him anything, and the entire rule is not applicable.

devildeac
09-08-2015, 09:25 PM
I found this article citing the NCAA rule on rings and other championship awards:

http://onepointsafety.com/2012/08/17/the-ring-rule/

Note, it includes no mention of allowing ineligible student-athletes (such as Obi last year) to buy a ring.

I will say that this rule does not apply to Krzyzewski, his assistants or other staff members -- they are not student-athletes and are not limited by NCAA benefit limits.

It also seems to me, reading the rule, that UNC football is in serious violation for giving rings to their players in a year when they definitely did NOT win a championship of any kind/ If the NCAA is going to allow the UNC football team to give out 80-plus illegal rings, then I doubt that Obi's ring comes into question.

Maybe The Hat has us all fooled and he gave out all those rings for class attendance rewards and not for the Coastal Division crown that they didn't win:rolleyes:.

subzero02
09-08-2015, 10:09 PM

It very well could be... but what a problem to have. You know you've got something good going when your fan base becomes well versed in the nuances of NCAA championship ring distribution bylaws.

swood1000
09-09-2015, 03:06 PM
I believe the impermissible benefits test applies with respect to other Duke students, not the general public. Regardless, the Jostens championship ring catalog is located here:

http://www.jostens.com/sports/championship-rings-jewelry.html
I think you're right. Also I'm not sure how concerned Duke is about restricting the sale of replicas. See: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=duke+championship+ring

swood1000
09-10-2015, 01:19 PM
I think you're right. Also I'm not sure how concerned Duke is about restricting the sale of replicas. See: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=duke+championship+ring
One reason for the low price of the "replicas" shown in that link is that those rings don't look anything like the actual 2015 championship rings, which look like this:
5468 5469

Henderson
09-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Adam Silver overruled the NCAA and said it's ok for Obi to get a ring.
Then Tim Cook said he'd take away the NCAA's iPads if they didn't agree.

That's how we roll.

;)

I'd spork this if I could. In the off-season, clever is more valuable than insightful.

Ooohhhh. Oops. You haven't considered the alternatives closely enough. I've been keeping track, and this is the 23rd most pointless discussion of the year. And I say that having rendered numerous threads pointless (or at least painful) all by myself.

Duke95
09-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Thanks, Henderson.

In any case, I think we are needlessly worrying ourselves. Obi is going to get two more NCAA championship rings before he graduates from Duke anyway.

OldPhiKap
09-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Ooohhhh. Oops. You haven't considered the alternatives closely enough. I've been keeping track, and this is the 23rd most pointless discussion of the year. And I say that having rendered numerous threads pointless (or at least painful) all by myself.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has been compared to either Hitler or Woodrow Wilson on this thread yet. We have a long way to go.

But yeah, offseason stinks. Glad football is finally here, which gets the fall rolling.

SupaDave
09-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Is there even such a thing as a pointless thread about championship rings? :rolleyes: This is THE good life.

NSDukeFan
09-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Is there even such a thing as a pointless thread about championship rings? :rolleyes: This is THE good life.

First world problems?
Discussing which championship thread is appropriate. Awesome.