PDA

View Full Version : Forever's Team

MarkD83
09-06-2015, 02:44 PM
The article on the first page about Coach Foster reminded me of my favorite basketball book; Forever's Team by John Feinstein. The book describes how the 1977-78 Duke team was put together and the success they had in 1978. Well worth the read (or reread while I sit by the pool today).

77devil
09-06-2015, 06:52 PM
The article on the first page about Coach Foster reminded me of my favorite basketball book; Forever's Team by John Feinstein. The book describes how the 1977-78 Duke team was put together and the success they had in 1978. Well worth the read (or reread while I sit by the pool today).

Duke basketball fans owe a debt of gratitude to Coach Foster for rebuilding Duke from the depths of the ACC cellar.

Here are some of my favorite memories from that era in no particular order:

Harassing Lefty with skull caps. Yes I was one of them.

Big 4 vs UNC 1977. One of the loudest games I can remember. Gene Banks gets a technical for a dead ball dunk. I was sitting directly behind the Duke bench and no one could hear the whistle.

The scorekeeper at Reynolds running off clock several times during dead ball situations. I tap Coach Wetzel on the shoulder and he advises Coach Foster who jumps up and goes ballistic at the scorers table.

Negotiating a snow storm at the ACC tournament in Charlotte.

The infamous UNC stall ball game in Cameron.

Penn Coach Weinhauer calling Duke slow as elephants after 1978 regional semi loss and predicting Duke loss to Villanova. Duke runs the Wildcats out of the gym.

Beating ND in the final four-I'm pretty sure Digger said something snarky at the time, but I can't remember it.

Beating KY in the 1979 Tip Off Classic. Great seats courtesy of Anheiser Busch. Duke mounts a furious talley in the second half to beat Sam Bowie and the Wildcats.

1980 regional semi in Rupp Arena. Duke dominates KY in the first half and Rupp is deadly quiet. Kentucky storms back in the second half but Duke holds on to win.

77devil
09-06-2015, 06:57 PM

Duke basketball fans owe a debt of gratitude to Coach Foster for rebuilding Duke from the depths of the ACC cellar. Get well Coach Foster.

Big 4 vs UNC 1977. One of the loudest games I can remember. Gene Banks gets a technical for a dead ball dunk. I was sitting directly behind the Duke bench and no one could hear the whistle.

The scorekeeper at Reynolds running off clock several times during dead ball situations. I tap Coach Wetzel on the shoulder and he advises Coach Foster who jumps up and goes ballistic at the scorers table.

Penn Coach Weinhauer calling Duke slow as elephants after 1978 regional semi loss and predicting Duke loss to Villanova. Duke runs the Wildcats out of the gym.

Beating ND in the final four-I'm pretty sure Digger said something snarky at the time, but I can't remember it.

Beating KY in the 1979 Tip Off Classic. Great seats courtesy of Anheiser Busch. Duke mounts a furious talley in the second half to beat Sam Bowie and the Wildcats.

1980 regional semi in Rupp Arena. Duke dominates KY in the first half and Rupp is deadly quiet. Kentucky storms back in the second half but Duke holds on to win.

johnb
09-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Coach Foster owes me big time.

I entered Duke at the same time as did Gene Banks. I was a football fan and entered college with the expectation that I'd be weaned from my addiction. I had watched two basketball games in my life (both games I'd covered for my high school newspaper). And so my real exposure to bball was the 77-78 team. Since then, I've spent/wasted an inordinate amount of time on Duke basketball.

As I said, Coach Foster owes me. Incidentally, his daughter was also very nice.

Jeff Frosh
09-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Duke basketball fans owe a debt of gratitude to Coach Foster for rebuilding Duke from the depths of the ACC cellar. Get well Coach Foster.

Great memories. Thanks, 77devil. I believe that the snow storm in Charlotte was for a regular season game (vs. Louisville?). I remember that because BD80 refused to be deterred and nearly drove us off an embankment on the way to the Charlotte Coliseum. When we walked in just before game time, the arena was almost completely empty. We ended up stuck in Charlotte for the next couple of days.

BigWayne
09-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Great memories. Thanks, 77devil. I believe that the snow storm in Charlotte was for a regular season game (vs. Louisville?). I remember that because BD80 refused to be deterred and nearly drove us off an embankment on the way to the Charlotte Coliseum. When we walked in just before game time, the arena was almost completely empty. We ended up stuck in Charlotte for the next couple of days.

2/18/79 was an epic snowstorm known as the the "1979 President's Day Snowstorm." Duke played Louisville in Charlotte that day winning 88-72.

3/1/80 saw about 5-10 inches of snow in the corridor between Durham and Greensboro. Duke played MD in the ACCT final at Greensboro that day, winning 73-72. Anyone that showed up at the arena could have gotten in. It was about half full that day.

Olympic Fan
09-09-2015, 04:27 PM

Snow actually popped up a number of times during the Foster regime. It became the team's good luck charm.

In 1978, it snowed after the semifinal round of the ACC Tournament. That year, because the ACC title game was televised by ABC's Wide World of Sports on Sunday afternoon, the tourney was played Thursday, Friday night, then a day off before the title game. The snow Friday night made it tough on people driving back to Durham after the semifinal win over Maryland (my buddy and I spun out on I-85 near Gibsonville). At the press conference Saturday, Bill Foster joked about Duke's long absence from the title game (since 1969 ... previous title in 1966) by noting: "People said it would snow in Greensboro in March before we won another title."

Two weeks later, Duke traveled to Providence, RI., for the East Regionals and the town was buried under four feet of snow. Duke, planning to stay in Attleboro, Mass., had to scramble to get rooms in Providence. Duke did edge Penn (thanks to a couple of blocked shots by G-man), then trample Villanova in the title game. Weinhauer did compare Duke to a herd of elephants, but not publically. However, on the off-day between the regional semifinals and the finals, he was having dinner in an upscale restaurant with Dave Gavitt, the Providence coach and AD, who was putting together the Big East at that time. That's when the Penn coach very loudly compared Duke to a herd of elephants ... unfortunately for Villanova coach Rollie Massimino, a table of North Carolina sports writers were also seated in the restaurant and heard every word -- guys were lining up for the phone in the rest room to call their offices and get that quote in their pregame stories (no cell phones in that era).

It fired up the young Duke team (starting two freshmen, two sophomores and a junior) and they ran 'Nova out of the gym. One of my fondest memories was after that game, when Foster was surrounded by Duke fans at the team hotel and Foster (who had consumed a few libations), shouted, "The elephants are stampeding!" Then, using his arm as a snout, he mimicked the sound of a raging elephant.

By then, snow was the team's good luck charm. When St. Louis had a very light dusting of snow on the Saturday morning of the NCAA semifinals, we were all sure Duke would beat Notre Dame. Unfortunately, there was no snow Monday night for the title game.

There was another significant snow game against Louisville in Charlotte late in the 1979 season -- a game Duke won easily. Nolan Smith's dad started for the 'Ville.

And the night before the 1980 ACC title game, Greensboro was shut down by a massive snowfall -- the ACC opened the doors of the Coliseum to anybody who could make it and still only half-filled the place for Duke's dramatic upset of Maryland (the game where Kenny Dennard wiped out Buck Williams under the basket on the final play).

Snow was such a big "lucky charm" during the Foster era that there was a home game with Virginia, where Duke was trailing in the second half. During a timeout, the PA announcer simply said, "It's snowing outside" Cameron went nuts, the team rallied and beat the Cavs.

I have fond memories of Bill Foster and his brief era. Include a win in 1977 when Duke went to Tennessee and upset the Vols -- who started Bernie King and Ernie Grunfeld that night -- as one of his high points. Foster would have broken through in 1977, but Tate Armstrong broke his wrist at Virginia and didn't play again -- and Duke collapsed without him. Still that set the stage of 1978, maybe the single most enjoyable season of my Duke experience. I agree that he laid the groundwork for Coach K. I'd say he was John the Baptist to Coach K's ... well, I don't want to be sacreligious, but you get the idea.

Atldukie79
09-10-2015, 09:24 AM
A few additional comments regarding Foster and his teams:

He may not have been "John the Baptist" , but he might as well have been preaching revivals. As a student at Duke in the Foster era, I recall that he tirelessly promoted Duke basketball all the time. He made himself available to Duke living units and visited our dorm, Buchanan (now renamed to something else) on at least one occasion where he conveyed his passion. Few coaches were better at promoting a downtrodden program (er, Cut comes to mind).

I also recall the Villanova game in 1978 in Rhode Island. I had a front row seat in the pep band, and I believe that was the game when Kenny Dennard took a break away and turned it into a reverse slam dunk...something I had never seen at the time. A delicious moment!

I chuckled at Olympic fan's recollection of reporters overhearing the Penn coach making his herd of elephants comment. At the 1978 Final Four, several of us in the pep band made a trek down to a riverboat restaurant in St. Louis for dinner prior to the championship game with Kentucky. (We felt we could afford this extravagance because our per diem was an outrageous $25/day...in 1978 folks). Fate, and the hostess, placed us at a table next to Al McGuire (then an NBC announcer and the previous year NCAA championship coach of Marquette) and Joe B Hall, coach of the Kentucky squad.

We felt it our solemn duty to listen in for some strategy nugget we could convey to Coach Foster that might make a difference in the game. Alas, Joe B Hall was, as Sienfeld would say, a quiet talker. We learned nothing! If only Joe B Hall had spoken louder, we might have learned about Goose Givens and perhaps we could have given Coach Foster fair warning and a special defense could be devised and....oh well...too late now.

I wish Coach Foster and his family the best.

Olympic Fan
09-10-2015, 12:56 PM
I chuckled at Olympic fan's recollection of reporters overhearing the Penn coach making his herd of elephants comment. At the 1978 Final Four, several of us in the pep band made a trek down to a riverboat restaurant in St. Louis for dinner prior to the championship game with Kentucky. (We felt we could afford this extravagance because our per diem was an outrageous $25/day...in 1978 folks). Fate, and the hostess, placed us at a table next to Al McGuire (then an NBC announcer and the previous year NCAA championship coach of Marquette) and Joe B Hall, coach of the Kentucky squad.

We felt it our solemn duty to listen in for some strategy nugget we could convey to Coach Foster that might make a difference in the game. Alas, Joe B Hall was, as Sienfeld would say, a quiet talker. We learned nothing! If only Joe B Hall had spoken louder, we might have learned about Goose Givens and perhaps we could have given Coach Foster fair warning and a special defense could be devised and....oh well...too late now.

I wish Coach Foster and his family the best.

If you were there in St. Louis. you'll understand when I say my memory of that game comes down to one name: Jim Bain!

Goose Givens was great -- I tip my hat to him and give him all the credit due to him for shredding Duke's zone -- but Jim Bain ... I can't tell you what I think of Bain, without the board software telling you that I'm a wanker ...

devildeac
09-10-2015, 01:06 PM
If you were there in St. Louis. you'll understand when I say my memory of that game comes down to one name: Jim Bain!

Goose Givens was great -- I tip my hat to him and give him all the credit due to him for shredding Duke's zone -- but Jim Bain ... I can't tell you what I think of Bain, without the board software telling you that I'm a wanker ...

I'll wager it had something to do with the T listed in the box score attributed to the Duke bench (Foster, I'd presume) but you'll have to elaborate a bit regarding the circumstances as that memory has been relegated to off-site storage (aka I forget:o). Without incurring infraction points and/or a short "on holiday" stint;), of course.

Tom B.
09-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Dennard's reverse jam against Villanova. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tfBO9WWtF0)

Jim Bain. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tVHabGpF10I#t=232)

Bain actually screwed up twice. First, he missed a clear travel by Truman Claytor. Foster jumped up and made the traveling signal with his hands (not visible in the video), and Bain compounded his first mistake by calling a technical foul on Foster from all the way across the court. The technical foul completely shifted the game's momentum. Duke had been coming back, but Kentucky went on a run after the technical and built a 16-point lead. A late comeback effort by Duke fell short, and Kentucky won 94-88.

Indoor66
09-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Dennard's reverse jam against Villanova. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tfBO9WWtF0)

Jim Bain. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tVHabGpF10I#t=232)

Bain actually screwed up twice. First, he missed a clear travel by Truman Claytor. Foster jumped up and made the traveling signal with his hands (not visible in the video), and Bain compounded his first mistake by calling a technical foul on Foster from all the way across the court. The technical foul completely shifted the game's momentum. Duke had been coming back, but Kentucky went on a run after the technical and built a 16-point lead. A late comeback effort by Duke fell short, and Kentucky won 94-88.

What some don't realize is that dunking was more difficult and dangerous in those days. There were no break away rims. The rims were fixed to the backboard. A player could get hurt on a missed dunk. Watch the rim on Dennard's dunk - it does not move. I loved that dunk when I watched it in Providence and love it today.

Atldukie79
09-10-2015, 03:21 PM
It took me 30 years to forget about Bain and I am now having bitter thoughts all over again...but the video of Dennard's dunk provides some consolation.
Thanks for both clips. Good times. I also enjoyed seeing myself in the pep band at the 4:57 mark! (when I wore a younger man's clothes, and hair, and face...)

rasputin
09-10-2015, 04:00 PM
I just wanna say this is a great thread. Thanks to all for sharing.
When the described events were taking place, I was waiting to learn whether I'd be accepted to Duke Law School. (I was.)

Indoor66
09-10-2015, 04:08 PM
Someone mentioned what a promoter Bill Foster was. Anyone remember the Duke switch plate covers? Also, who else was involved in the seat painting project at the Cameron? We painted our seats blue and helped others do the same. I was there with my sons.

MarkD83
09-10-2015, 07:54 PM
It took me 30 years to forget about Bain and I am now having bitter thoughts all over again...but the video of Dennard's dunk provides some consolation.
Thanks for both clips. Good times. I also enjoyed seeing myself in the pep band at the 4:57 mark! (when I wore a younger man's clothes, and hair, and face...)

In Forever's Team there was a lot of discussion of how Bain cost Duke that game. It was a bit sad because some of the team members had strong memories of what could have been rather than what was accomplished. In 1977 Duke was last in the ACC and in 1978 they were ACC champions and made it to the NCAA finals. Of course Forever's team was written in 1989 so perhaps 26 more years will let everyone remember what great things were accomplished.

In fact let me add that as a Duke fan I truly appreciate that the 1978 team put Duke back in the national picture. Thank you to any 1978 team members who read this board.

(Also Kenny Dennard did not undercut Buck Williams in the 1980 ACC finals. When two big guys go up for a rebound they can lose their balance.)

-jk
09-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Someone mentioned what a promoter Bill Foster was. Anyone remember the Duke switch plate covers? Also, who else was involved in the seat painting project at the Cameron? We painted our seats blue and helped others do the same. I was there with my sons.

I painted some seats, too...

And I seem to recall the dunk was against the rules until '76 or so, and Foster was instrumental in getting it legal as president of the NABC.

-jk

sagegrouse
09-10-2015, 09:51 PM
In fact let me add that as a Duke fan I truly appreciate that the 1978 team put Duke back in the national picture. Thank you to any 1978 team members who read this board.

(Also Kenny Dennard did not undercut Buck Williams in the 1980 ACC finals. When two big guys go up for a rebound they can lose their balance.)

I remember a national telecast with Duke early that season. The announcer -- maybe Al McGuire -- said, "This is the third year in a row Duke has had the best freshman in the ACC," referring to Spanarkel, then Gminski and then Gene Banks. I remember thinking -- "Ah... just like the good old days -- we're coming back."

Indoor66
09-11-2015, 08:11 AM
I remember a national telecast with Duke early that season. The announcer -- maybe Al McGuire -- said, "This is the third year in a row Duke has had the best freshman in the ACC," referring to Spanarkel, then Gminski and then Gene Banks. I remember thinking -- "Ah... just like the good old days -- we're coming back."

IRRC, those three - Spanarkel, G-Man and Banks - were the first three ACC Rookies of the Year!

Tom B.
09-11-2015, 10:56 AM
IRRC, those three - Spanarkel, G-Man and Banks - were the first three ACC Rookies of the Year!

They were actually three of the first four ACC Rookies of the Year. Hawkeye Whitney of N.C. State tied G-Man in the ACC ROY voting in 1977.